Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree they aren't really a matched set. It's totally fine if you like them, but if you're trying to figure out the provenance, one possibility is they just got the glass panes from the same source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not just the glass panes, the square detailing is over the top of both cabinets and makes up the main design on the cupboard doors of the dresser. Basically aside from one being a display unit and the other a dresser the only big difference between the two is the decoration on the doors. :)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

learnincurve posted:

There are a few other differences, the shelves in one cabinet are glass, the other wood. One has lighting, the other does not. The dresser has crisper edges on the counter top, magnetic catches and weird grooves like it’s meant for displaying plates, but nothing has ever been hung down from it.

I love them, they are cool. Keep 'em forever and use the crap out of them. Think of how many board games you can store in there!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hey y'all, I could use some advice. This is a crappily-aligned 360-degree panorama of the front room of my house, which is currently being used a) to store random crap, and b) to provide a connector between the kitchen (dark room visible just left of center) and the entire rest of the house (behind the floor lamp). Put another way, this is a crude floorplan of the ground floor; the panorama was taken from the black circle. The room's around 20' long and maybe 12-15' deep.

I'd like to turn this room into something a bit more useful and aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. I tend to lean towards "cosy", padded furniture, cushions, wood and rugs, the kind of stuff you'd see in a cabin or lodge. But the room still needs to be functional; in particular, I need at least a small area dedicated toward my dog's stuff (leash, food, medicine, etc.), and the walkway between kitchen and rest of house needs to be unobstructed. I'm also somewhat opposed to putting seating directly under the window, on the grounds that my dog would spend a lot of time there barking at people as they go by.

If I didn't live alone, I'd probably have to turn this room into a dining room, for lack of any better places to put a dining table.. It might hypothetically be nice to reserve some space for one, but it doesn't have to be the monster table that I currently have there which is just serving as a flat surface.

Any ideas, suggestions, photos I should look at? Thanks!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Why are you denying your dog the ability to bark at passers-by? That's cruel!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Youth Decay posted:

My biggest kitchen pet peeve other than no cabinet space is having the stove all alone on a wall with zero counter space nearby. Like if I'm making a stir fry or something and I have to throw stuff in the pan/pot real quick I need it right there with me, not on the other side of the room.

But something even more important is conspicuously absent in this newly renovated kitchen in a $715,000 house...

Range hoods are so passé.

:argh:

The biggest sign of loving bourgeois motherfuckers who never cook a meal. Range in the middle of nowhere, no hood. Every square inch of ceiling and surface in that room would be covered in grease in an hour if you actually cooked in there, especially all that useless white stoneware.

I have strong opinions, and consider 'is the stove on an outside wall so I can put up an externally vented hood' a make/break point in house shopping at this point.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 3, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey y'all, I could use some advice. This is a crappily-aligned 360-degree panorama of the front room of my house, which is currently being used a) to store random crap, and b) to provide a connector between the kitchen (dark room visible just left of center) and the entire rest of the house (behind the floor lamp). Put another way, this is a crude floorplan of the ground floor; the panorama was taken from the black circle. The room's around 20' long and maybe 12-15' deep.

I'd like to turn this room into something a bit more useful and aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. I tend to lean towards "cosy", padded furniture, cushions, wood and rugs, the kind of stuff you'd see in a cabin or lodge. But the room still needs to be functional; in particular, I need at least a small area dedicated toward my dog's stuff (leash, food, medicine, etc.), and the walkway between kitchen and rest of house needs to be unobstructed. I'm also somewhat opposed to putting seating directly under the window, on the grounds that my dog would spend a lot of time there barking at people as they go by.

If I didn't live alone, I'd probably have to turn this room into a dining room, for lack of any better places to put a dining table.. It might hypothetically be nice to reserve some space for one, but it doesn't have to be the monster table that I currently have there which is just serving as a flat surface.

Any ideas, suggestions, photos I should look at? Thanks!

IMO the furnishing and decor starts at the room's purpose which you don't seem to have nailed down yet. Looks like right now it's being a very big hallway and dog storage (is that the front door also?). Are there any functions you're missing in the house, or rooms serving two functions where it's be nice to split one out into its own space?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

The biggest sign of loving bourgeois motherfuckers who never cook a meal. Range in the middle of nowhere, no hood. Every square inch of ceiling and surface in that room would be covered in grease in an hour if you actually cooked in there, especially all that useless white stoneware.

I have strong opinions, and consider 'is the stove on an outside wall so I can put up an externally vented hood' a make/break point in house shopping at this point.

i mean just look at this lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I wish harm upon that person.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
My life is a series of hoods that vent right back into the kitchen.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a really powerful external fan in my kitchen, shame the cooker is on a different wall. I cannot fry anything. I’ll get it fixed but it’s been an adventure in learning to adapt to an enforced low fat diet.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jaded Burnout posted:

IMO the furnishing and decor starts at the room's purpose which you don't seem to have nailed down yet. Looks like right now it's being a very big hallway and dog storage (is that the front door also?). Are there any functions you're missing in the house, or rooms serving two functions where it's be nice to split one out into its own space?

I would look into mudrooms as a starting point. For the dog stuff, it might be nice to have some kind of bench with storage underneath - maybe baskets. Something you could sit on to tie your shoes, maybe. Then add a couple of wall hooks for coats and leashes, and a welcome mat to wipe your shoes off of.

Once you have all your functional stuff squared away, then you can consider whether the space is big enough to serve another purpose, and what that might be.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

peanut posted:

Shorter ladders are safer. But lol $700 and rip underbed storage space.

wayfair.com

Youth Decay posted:

Oh wait, you wanted upper cabinet space in your kitchen? Too bad, we made it a wall of shadowboxes for cheap white porcelain that nobody uses. At least china cabinets tell people you're rich, this just says "I don't have cups".

"Honey, I told you I needed the right handed pitcher, not the left handed one!"

Liquid Communism posted:

Range in the middle of nowhere, no hood.

Our kitchen doesn't have room for the stove except for by itself. There's simply not a lot of wall space.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

vonnegutt posted:

I would look into mudrooms as a starting point. For the dog stuff, it might be nice to have some kind of bench with storage underneath - maybe baskets. Something you could sit on to tie your shoes, maybe. Then add a couple of wall hooks for coats and leashes, and a welcome mat to wipe your shoes off of.

Once you have all your functional stuff squared away, then you can consider whether the space is big enough to serve another purpose, and what that might be.

Yeah, the room doesn't really have much of a functional point right now. The most obvious missing functionality in the house right now is a dining room; I eat all my meals at my desk instead. But since I don't need a dining room, it'd feel a bit weird to turn the front room into a dining room.

The unique / immutable features of the room are the front door, window, stove, and the rooms it connects to. Incorporating aspects of a mudroom around the front door is definitely a possibility; I'd thought of putting a bookshelf sticking out perpendicular to the wall, just to the left of the window, to serve as book storage when accessed from the window side, and a half-wall / place to put coathooks and the like when accessed from the door. Probably not enough storage to deal with the dog's stuff, but I guess I could put more storage (like an openable bench) to the left of the front door, where there's a cardboard box sitting on the floor in the panorama.

I'd also like to have a room where I could hang out next to the stove, sit on some comfy chairs, that kind of thing. So maybe what I should focus on doing, beyond clearing out all the crap currently in the room, is replacing that stove (it's probably 30 years out of date and doesn't work well) and getting a recliner or two.

Thanks for the advice! Now I just have to decide how long I want this project to take, i.e. whether I want to make the furniture myself or just buy it...

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

my parents built a house a few years ago and the stove is on an island and it seems to work fine, but it's a fairly large open space so there aren't a lot of issues with needing to vent a ton.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I realize you live alone, but if you ever want to have people over for dinner, or even if you want to pretend to be normal when people come over for other reasons, it'd be good to have an eating surface other than your desk. It looks like the room is big enough that adding a smallish round table and a few chairs wouldn't take over the whole place. Unless you already have that in your kitchen?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

I realize you live alone, but if you ever want to have people over for dinner, or even if you want to pretend to be normal when people come over for other reasons, it'd be good to have an eating surface other than your desk. It looks like the room is big enough that adding a smallish round table and a few chairs wouldn't take over the whole place. Unless you already have that in your kitchen?

Yeah, I'm not exactly averse to having a dining table, it just wouldn't serve much functional purpose except as a flat surface right now.

The kitchen is pretty nearly perfectly laid-out for the space it's in and doesn't have room for a table, unfortunately. It's just about big enough that one person can cook while another person grabs snacks from the fridge or uses the microwave without getting in the way. If I were to get into more wholesale remodeling, I'd replace my (uninsulated) 15x15' sun room with a proper extension of the house, and grow the kitchen into that extension by 5-10 feet. The sun room's way too big for an uninsulated space and the kitchen's a smidge small for my tastes. But the cost/benefit isn't there right now.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Yeah, I'm not exactly averse to having a dining table, it just wouldn't serve much functional purpose except as a flat surface right now.

Where do you dump all your junk mail??

We have a full dining room with table, chairs, and china cabinets, and we still eat all our meals on the couch. So far it's been used as:

- dumping ground for groceries unloading
- big project table
- sometimes laptop desk
- buffet for parties

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

floor

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

vonnegutt posted:

There's a bucket for recycling junk in between my mail slot (in the garage) and the rest of the house, so junk mail never makes it that far.

quote:

We have a full dining room with table, chairs, and china cabinets, and we still eat all our meals on the couch. So far it's been used as:

- dumping ground for groceries unloading
- big project table
- sometimes laptop desk
- buffet for parties

I use my kitchen counter for this stuff. It has the added benefit that I have to keep the counter clear, so stuff doesn't pile up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The kitchen is pretty nearly perfectly laid-out for the space it's in and doesn't have room for a table, unfortunately. It's just about big enough that one person can cook while another person grabs snacks from the fridge or uses the microwave without getting in the way. If I were to get into more wholesale remodeling, I'd replace my (uninsulated) 15x15' sun room with a proper extension of the house, and grow the kitchen into that extension by 5-10 feet. The sun room's way too big for an uninsulated space and the kitchen's a smidge small for my tastes. But the cost/benefit isn't there right now.

You could get a folding card table type thing so you have a table for the few times a year you need it, and it folds up out of the way when you don't. Throw a tablecloth on it and it looks like a normal table.

Or you could get a console table or desk/table that sits out of the way against the wall and holds a few ornaments or your collection of action figures or whatever, and then when you need a table you pull it out into the center of the room. There are plenty of those that can seat 4 people.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

You could get a folding card table type thing so you have a table for the few times a year you need it, and it folds up out of the way when you don't. Throw a tablecloth on it and it looks like a normal table.
It's maybe not to everyone's taste but I'm sort of in a similar situation, and I'm going to build one of those picture frames that folds into a table. I'll probably modify it a little so the bottom shelf's a little wider or gets a small ledge so you can safely mount a new picture or mirror or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN9uT-WkvDA

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 3, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PerilPastry posted:

It's maybe not to everyone's taste but I'm sort of in a similar situation, and I'm going to build one of those picture frames that folds into a table. I'll probably modify it a little so the bottom shelf's a little wider or gets a small ledge so you can safely mount a new picture or mirror or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN9uT-WkvDA

That's pretty cool. Not sure I have the necessary wall space in a good location to use one myself, but transforming furniture is always neat to look at and think about.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We just got the last coat of poly put down on some 200 year old hardwoods. I can't believe we've owned this house for 6 years and lived with mediocre carpeting because we thought these floors would not be in good shape and didn't want to take on another project...

( They only had to replace like 3 boards. Easy to tell with the grain, but will be hidden by furniture. )

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
The poly finish looks great in the photo, I'm wondering how scratch resistant it will be though.

(Not judging, I'm a poor living in a basic 1990's European house which means I have laminate flooring all over)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They actually did a gymnasium finish which is supposed to be pretty durable. I️ have three dogs so it’s going to get marked up a bit but I️ think with all the texture the boards have it’ll help hide it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just remember to keep on top of the maintenance of it and every 6 months to a year hire some sort of industrial floor polisher/waxer and it will be fine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm about to have carpet ripped up and engineered hardwood flooring put down.

Anything I should look out for? It's a second level home office - basically going to have 14mm Oak boards put down, and Scotia edging, I think.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yeast posted:

Anything I should look out for? It's a second level home office - basically going to have 14mm Oak boards put down, and Scotia edging, I think.

A decent rug

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeast posted:

If it's just a floating floor then there's not much to go wrong, fitter just needs to do a good job getting it straight and using an offset so it doesn't look too uniform.

The trim is there to hide the expansion gap, and again is not hard to install.

Good luck!

PRADA SLUT posted:

A decent rug

If it's a home office with a wheely chair then that's the last thing you want and is presumably why the carpet is going away.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it's a home office with a wheely chair then that's the last thing you want and is presumably why the carpet is going away.

Wheeled chairs will damage wooden floors, so you'll want to get something to protect them -- probably one of those clear plastic mats that Office Depot et al sell.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cheers all.

Using a standing desk at the moment, so have a foam strip for that.

Appreciate the heads up with the offset, will discuss with the dude.

From what I've researched its pretty straightforward, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeast posted:

Appreciate the heads up with the offset, will discuss with the dude.

No worries. Like tiling it's completely arbitrary and a matter of taste, you could probably GIS or pinterest search some floors and find an offset you like the look of. Usually you choose some percentage of the length of the board and go with that. Some flooring is made with random lengths to help with that, probably too much effort to cut to random lengths manually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wheeled chairs will damage wooden floors, so you'll want to get something to protect them -- probably one of those clear plastic mats that Office Depot et al sell.

Those mats are ugly as hell and often end up falling apart. What they also sell are soft wood floor friendly wheels.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Those mats are ugly as hell and often end up falling apart. What they also sell are soft wood floor friendly wheels.

Ugly maybe, but mine is six years old and still going strong.

I'm leery of trusting floor-friendly wheels, because I'm pretty sure what causes most of the damage is bits of dirt, dust, etc. getting caught between the wheel and the floor and scratching/getting ground into said floor. How would better wheels fix that problem?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If the wheels were a softer rubber they'd capture the sharp bits and roll better, so there'd be less dragging and scratching.

I also see value in using things and living with the effects of that use. I don't buy coffee tables I'm not willing to put my feet on, and if I'm putting a wood floor in an office with a wheely chair, well, the floor can take one for the team.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are you tired of boring greige kitchens? Are you clumsy and prone to bumping into things? Do you miss your old padded room from your psych ward days?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh my. I love it and also the facial scars I'll get when it all catches on fire.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I only saw the top bit at first, and thought, "Oh, that's an odd way to accent a wall." Then I scrolled down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yo, is it just me or did they put the padding on the warming tray of the oven, too?