Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i meant the .net umbrella obviously

what i was looking for was whether microsoft experimented with langs like ocaml, delphi, go, rust, lisp, haskell, etc...

i know their engineers have but what about the company itself?

eh, i mean, spj has been at microsoft research since '97 so the haskell cred to some extent exists, f# is an ocaml clone for the .net runtime (and has seen some serious support for something so business-wise minor), delphi is/was entirely proprietary, but also largely windows-exclusive, so i am not sure why or how microsoft would have gotten in there (though interestingly windows was originally heavily pascal-oriented, which lives on in calling conventions still)

lisp was dead before microsoft got going, go i doubt will ever happen (since it's poo poo), and rust is too new for anyone to really know (but i could see that becoming a thing)

meanwhile i think the biggest sort of off-beat language impact microsoft is having is that typescript seems to be winning out among the javascript dialects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
lisp is good

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

The_Franz posted:

i wonder if keeping long path support out of explorer.exe was a passive-aggressive attempt to enforce the legacy limit so that people couldn't put my_garbage_app.exe in a folder with a long path and have it mysteriously fail because internally it does

code:
char path[MAX_PATH];
GetCurrentDirectoryA(MAX_PATH, path);
and just assumes that it will always work because a path can't be longer than MAX_PATH, right?
explorer.exe pretty much has to interact with everything third-party so it'll probably the last man standing in legacy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
apparently you can't change the internal hard drive on the xbox one x without completely disassembling it and voiding your warranty, and gamers are upset because it's only a 1TB drive

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

apparently you can't change the internal hard drive on the xbox one x without completely disassembling it and voiding your warranty, and gamers are upset because it's only a 1TB drive

it doesn't help that the forced 4K asset downloads put some games into absurd-sized territory, with Quantum Break weighing in at 178 gigs (with very little of that being on disc versions)

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Big tentpole games from major studios being 70GB+/ea has been a thing for a while now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

it doesn't help that the forced 4K asset downloads put some games into absurd-sized territory, with Quantum Break weighing in at 178 gigs (with very little of that being on disc versions)
also out of the box it's got like 750GB free

microsoft wants you to use an external hard drive and connect it to one of the USB 3.0 ports

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

quote:

Capturing HDR screenshots is slightly trickier. When an HDR screenshot is saved and uploaded to OneDrive it creates two files, a PNG and a JXR (Jpeg XR) file. The PNG file is super-bright.

While the JXR is dark and subdued.

To make the screenshot appear as it does on the Xbox One X where it was captured, the two composite images must be merged. I do not have access to a piece of software that will do this. I doubt many people do.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I've heard good things about this guy, his pictures are pretty nice (if HDR is your thing): https://store.stuckincustoms.com/collections/software ?

:shrug:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

uh, presumably the JPEG-XR is high bit depth and (pre re-encoding), has the full range of data in there?

like, it'll appear dark if you're not displaying it in hdr because... you're not displaying it in hdr

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

univbee posted:

178 gigabytes, jesus christ

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

178 gigabytes, jesus christ
i think like half of that is the television show they made in conjunction with the game

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
just installed a fresh copy of windows 10 1709 and smbv1 client isn't disabled, neat

run windows update, prompted to reboot, check on windows features, disable smbv1 client and enable linux for windows, prompted to reboot, reboot now
run windows update again, can't check for new updates because it needs to reboot first

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 8, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's a new option, which after googling, says it removes the smb 1 feature after 15 days of it not being used

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hifi posted:

there's a new option, which after googling, says it removes the smb 1 feature after 15 days of it not being used
there is, but google should also tell you that fresh installs of 1709 don't have smbv1 enabled by default ah nvm i guess this is a pro install. welp

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh. im on pro too, so there you go

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

holy poo poo microsoft how hard is it to not crash just because i connected bluetooth headphones

what the hell. like win10 is consistently destabilizing and eventually crashing any time I attach these bt headphones. this is ridiculous

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i installed the new windows 10.2 update, dont remember what its called on my imac's bootcamp partition. now it can't switch between usb audio headset and the internal speakers properly lol. it always goes to the usb headset no matter what.

i unplug the headset and get no audio at all.

microsoft love linux

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

holy poo poo microsoft how hard is it to not crash just because i connected bluetooth headphones

what the hell. like win10 is consistently destabilizing and eventually crashing any time I attach these bt headphones. this is ridiculous

i don't have that problem because my bt drivers were deprecated or something :smugbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i really want to like loving one-drive but it's extremely infuriating that my text starts at different heights in different pages

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this whacky "write erriwher with ure benis xdDDDDDDDDDDDDD" canvas bullshit is absolutely cancerous for keyboard-based workflow

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ahahahahah it cant even make blank pages consistently :how:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/souljaboy/status/315582332482506752?s=17

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i really want to like loving one-drive but it's extremely infuriating that my text starts at different heights in different pages

to clarify, onenote :v:

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Last Chance posted:

i installed the new windows 10.2 update, dont remember what its called on my imac's bootcamp partition. now it can't switch between usb audio headset and the internal speakers properly lol. it always goes to the usb headset no matter what.

i unplug the headset and get no audio at all.

microsoft love linux

Change your default playback and recording device in the sound control panel.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i love when my default playback device gets changed for no reason

there's a microphone plugged into the microphone jack on my sound card, the card that should be handling sound stuff, but the web cam on usb port 9 says it has a mic so let's use that one for everything

"dude your new mic sucks, it sounds like you're in a barrel"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

i love when my default playback device gets changed for no reason

there's a microphone plugged into the microphone jack on my sound card, the card that should be handling sound stuff, but the web cam on usb port 9 says it has a mic so let's use that one for everything

"dude your new mic sucks, it sounds like you're in a barrel"

disable the device in sound settings?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

to clarify, onenote :v:

yeah one note is meant to emulate a notepad which means theres no clean layouts which can be triggering

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yeah one note is meant to emulate a notepad which means theres no clean layouts which can be triggering

i found a good enough way for me. you can disable free form "content boxes" in the options, and down arrow from the page title line will always go to the same line, so it's all good now. with this settled, i like it considerably more than evernote

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that bug with new pages was really annoying tho. basically the same notebook section, on a new page creation, would create a copy of the last page. the fix was to port it into a separate section and delete the old one. hope i dont catch this in the filled up modelling notebooks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
try insert -> new page. I cant get the right click new page to work at all in the browser version.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

try insert -> new page. I cant get the right click new page to work at all in the browser version.

ill try to remember this next time it happens (i hope not). using onenote 2016 myself since my work is too poor for o365 - my department is on business goog and everyone else is scattered - some depts are on yandex, some on mail.ru, some do just who the gently caress knows what

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ill try to remember this next time it happens (i hope not). using onenote 2016 myself since my work is too poor for o365 - my department is on business goog and everyone else is scattered - some depts are on yandex, some on mail.ru, some do just who the gently caress knows what

lol do you guys do accounting and file your taxes using 1C Predpriyatie too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

of course, we have at least 3 1C-dedicated developers that i know of

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh and an informal push to switch to telegram from slack if you're curious

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

no but i love swigging a bottle of the stuff after a night of clubbing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

no but i love swigging a bottle of the stuff after a night of clubbing

https://community.dynamics.com/nav/b/russianerpexperience/archive/2016/02/25/the-most-popular-accounting-software-in-russia-1c-system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm curious, why telegram instead of signal