Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He gives a gently caress. He just has a great sense of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Besides, what are they going to do? Get rid of Luke Skywalker?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

Besides, what are they going to do? Get rid of Luke Skywalker?

I mean, he's probably gonna die in this one, right? He's the new Obi-Wan, he has to die so Rey and Kylo can realize they need to work together or whatever the hell is going on with these trailers.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

precision posted:

I mean, he's probably gonna die in this one, right? He's the new Obi-Wan, he has to die so Rey and Kylo can realize they need to work together or whatever the hell is going on with these trailers.

Technically, Han Solo filled that role already. But I guess there's still room for him to be like ghost Obi-Wan?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, I think it's less GIVES NO FUCKS and more IS AN ACTUAL PERSON who doesn't constantly run a SALESMAN filter whenever the talks about Star Wars. He's just being honest, but he still loves it, loves what he's doing, and wants people to enjoy it.

He's totally right about the scene in the snow with the lightsaber, having Luke show up right then, maybe somehow triggered by Han dying, would have been an amazing entrance and people would have lost their poo poo.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

AlternateAccount posted:

He's totally right about the scene in the snow with the lightsaber, having Luke show up right then, maybe somehow triggered by Han dying, would have been an amazing entrance and people would have lost their poo poo.

This would have made absolutely no sense from a storytelling, theme, character, or franchise development perspective. As bad as TFA is, Luke popping up out of nowhere and doing anything but utterly smiting Kylo Ren (groan) would have been ridiculous.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ammanas posted:

This would have made absolutely no sense from a storytelling, theme, character, or franchise development perspective.

Sounds like it would've fit TFA perfectly then.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

I was literally praying for that exact thing not to happen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Milky Moor posted:

Sounds like it would've fit TFA perfectly then.

Yeah, I am not sure how that would be discordant with the rest of the movie. Not like it was some kind of tightly plotted masterpiece where every element was logical.

Maybe Luke's purposefully been severing himself from the Force for decades and isn't as strong as he used to be. That's why he lives out on a rocky island away from everything, if the Force flows through all living things, isolate yourself in a mostly dead place. But Rey is and managed to take over after Kylo knocks Luke out or something. Who knows, there's 100 bullshit possibilities that are just as "good" as anything else in TFA.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Now that Harrison is franchise dead and Carrie is actually dead Mark is just shouldering their duties. He's always been a goofy, appreciative raconteur, but now he's also got to keep the flame of wry elderly cynicism

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ammanas posted:

This would have made absolutely no sense from a storytelling, theme, character, or franchise development perspective. As bad as TFA is, Luke popping up out of nowhere and doing anything but utterly smiting Kylo Ren (groan) would have been ridiculous.

There would be something ironic about having the First Order spending all it's resources tracking down Luke only for him to have been hiding in their literal backyard the whole time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Schwarzwald posted:

There would be something ironic about having the First Order spending all it's resources tracking down Luke only for him to have been hiding in their literal backyard the whole time.

Oh I would figure he'd have had to travel from somewhere, it would be just too much for his lightsaber AND him to be on the same planet. Unless... he had been waiting for someone to arrive... O_O

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I am not sure how that would be discordant with the rest of the movie. Not like it was some kind of tightly plotted masterpiece where every element was logical.

Maybe Luke's purposefully been severing himself from the Force for decades and isn't as strong as he used to be. That's why he lives out on a rocky island away from everything, if the Force flows through all living things, isolate yourself in a mostly dead place. But Rey is and managed to take over after Kylo knocks Luke out or something. Who knows, there's 100 bullshit possibilities that are just as "good" as anything else in TFA.
Ahch-to may look mysteriously like the northern Atlantic but temperate oceans are not exactly barren wastelands. His island is rich in moss and porgs.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nessus posted:

Ahch-to may look mysteriously like the northern Atlantic but temperate oceans are not exactly barren wastelands. His island is rich in moss and porgs.

Only things with souls conduct the force.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I felt it, Rey. As if my BFF's voice cried out in pain."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Only things with souls conduct the force.
Look at this Living Force heretic in this thread, smdh

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is it super cliche and dumb to make the statement that there's more actual thinking and proper criticism and storytelling re: Star Wars in this thread than in all the meeting rooms at Fox ever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it super cliche and dumb to make the statement that there's more actual thinking and proper criticism and storytelling re: Star Wars in this thread than in all the meeting rooms at Fox ever?

Yes.

People think a whole lot about Star Wars. They probably do not think about the exact same things you are thinking of. It's genuinely pretty narcissistic and dumb to think that random internet nerds on SA.com are truly the elitist and smartest people in the universe. More likely than not there's a whole lot of discussion about things but for good or ill they're focused on what gets asses in seats over anything else. Which is true of a whole lot of people, George Lucas included.

There are a lot of dumb Hollywood execs but the assumption that everyone is a moron except for internet forum posters is lol.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No hollywood empty suit sitting in his ivory boardman understands porg like me

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Start up a Google Doc and set the thread lose, then compare the goon-approved Episode 8 "expert" script to the "Fox meeting room" version once it comes out.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought there was going to be some cool new trailer or something but nope it's just goons being loving goony.

also lol at Episode 7 being "bad"

Might not have been great but it wasn't bad and no sane person would argue that it was.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I thought there was going to be some cool new trailer or something but nope it's just goons being loving goony.

also lol at Episode 7 being "bad"

Might not have been great but it wasn't bad and no sane person would argue that it was.

what was good about it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The characters, everything on jakku, the music, the final battle between kylo and finn/rey, harrison fords acting, porg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

do you know where you are?

welcome to the nuthouse

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jerkface posted:

The characters, everything on jakku, the music, the final battle between kylo and finn/rey, harrison fords acting, porg

Porg? What porg.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The Porgs, it's all true

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Porgs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You thought Jedi Rocks was bad, they've apparently retroactively added Porgs into Ep. 7 and nobody even noticed or mentioned it until now.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this isn't going to go the way you think porg

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

On the bluray of TFA if you notice at the end, when Rey shows up on Ahch-To, Luke is hastily putting away a half eaten porg and wiping porg out of his beard before he turns around

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Porgs are actually made out of pure Garmonbozia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did it, Rey. I looked at the porg.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

This. The only two major critiques that I can sympathize with are that it was rushed (and thus needed a longer run time) and the plot was soft remake of ANH. The latter seems a bit damning, but it doesn't bother me that much considering it's been 30 years since we got legit Star Wars so they went a bit conservative to ease us back in, plus they had a LOT of intriguing new elements with a much more complicated antagonist. Han Solo's death was handled really well and made the movie into a straight up tragedy, which ANH was not (even considering Alderaan got blown the gently caress up).

The point is that you could say that those things make it weaker in quality compared to the OT, which I wholeheartedly agree with, but a bad film it is not. Not even close. It seems to me like people were expecting literally everything they wanted to see happen in TFA. Slow your roll guys -- there are two more films in this trilogy.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

precision posted:

do you know where you are?

welcome to the nuthouse

"welcome to the poo poo show"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You thought Jedi Rocks was bad, they've apparently retroactively added Porgs into Ep. 7 and nobody even noticed or mentioned it until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"welcome to the poo poo show"

If only more rednecks had that much of a sense of humor and capacity for grammar.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's been 30 years since we got legit Star Wars

lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
2015 - 2005 = 30

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Please provide your case as to why the prequels are more genuine than what we got in TFA.

I'm not saying it's an impossible argument. I'm just saying you're too lazy to do it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
nah gently caress it lets just say porgs for the next 20 pages until the movie comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the porg looks cute and this thread's obsession with it is hilarious

like it's just a fuckin' movie guys

• Locked thread