Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jehadmaar1taak/status/927616376205905920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

'Je had maar één taak '?

I swear Dutch is just English with a silly accent

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

spog posted:

'Je had maar één taak '?

More the other way around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dutch sounds like an English speaker talking to a baby

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Arms_Akimbo posted:

There have been a number of planes that have crashed due to pilot sleep deprivation, where they are breaking their yokes trying to push down when the auto pilot is pulling up because they just don't know what's going on anymore. Regional airline pilots generally live like 6 guys in a 1 bedroom because they earn so little and fly so many hours.

http://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-flying-cheap/

http://crashpad411.com/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

20 stories straight down on the other side.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

spog posted:

'Je had maar één taak '?

Switch your phone language to Dutch for a surprisingly usable and sometimes amusing experience.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Dutch sounds like an English speaker talking to a baby

*swamp German

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

spankmeister posted:

More the other way around.

You ain't much, if you're Dutch.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You ain't much, if you're Dutch.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fL4QfvIrUf4

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

As an industrial insulator, this is basically the truth in a tight pipe rack. I've had engineers get me to strip insulation from the wrong lines, which they figure out when they discover the wrong size pipe versus their drawing. :allears:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
3000 psi hose

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
The ultimate pimple popper video.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

`Nemesis posted:

3000 psi hose

Oh no is your snake ok??

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dad, is that you? Oh wait, WA, not Libby, MT.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
"Asbestos shoveling competition"

Surely that's not a real thing, right

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
How long ago were the negative effects of asbestos documented?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RyokoTK posted:

How long ago were the negative effects of asbestos documented?

since 1899

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For reference, OSHA's excursion limit for asbestos is one fiber per cubic centimeter of air for 30 minutes, and that's generally considered waaaaaay too high, considering the average tidal volume is about 500 cubic centimeters. You can breathe in 500 fibers with each breath for 30 minutes and OSHA doesn't mind.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

suuma posted:

"Asbestos shoveling competition"

Surely that's not a real thing, right

My dad used to tell me about how they'd play with the asbestos on breaks. Apparently if you throw zonelite onto a fire, it crackles and bubbles in an entertaining way, while also spraying the air with particulate matter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think I read somewhere that every single man in that photo died of mesothelioma within twenty years or so, plus the photographer.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here's a depressing as gently caress documentary about the asbestos mine at Wittenoom
(I am told this works outside Australia)

You know what's simultaneously the best and worst part? The loving mine didn't even turn a profit.

Wikipedia posted:

For most of the years CSR mined asbestos, the operation lost money. It struggled into profit for the five years from 1956, and then only by making its workforce work two and even three shifts a day. When the mine closed it had an accumulated debt of around $2.5 million.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Is this an advertisement for a new Jackass movie?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Cutting a gas cylinder......what could go wrong?

https://imgur.com/gallery/yKS0tnn

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why would you do that without confirming that the cylinder is empty first? :psyduck:

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Collateral Damage posted:

Why would you do that without confirming that the cylinder is empty first? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DP5l9yYt-g

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh I know. That's why you flood it with water to make sure there's no residual gas.

Though evidence suggests the person in question probably wouldn't think of that either.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

anyone who has played enough shooters will have a healthier respect for the dangers of barrels and gas cylinders

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BattleMaster posted:

anyone who has played enough shooters will have a healthier respect for the dangers of barrels and gas cylinders

Only if they're bright colors.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/kJMihKf.mp4

Thankfully nothing went wrong but holy gently caress I would not want to be anywhere near anything like this just in case.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Power Bottom posted:

https://i.imgur.com/kJMihKf.mp4

Thankfully nothing went wrong but holy gently caress I would not want to be anywhere near anything like this just in case.

Is the method of putting newly constructed/refurbished ships in the water really just tipping it in and hoping for the best?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Power Bottom posted:

There's a different gif floating around this thread of a similar event where an enormous wave of water and wood fragments comes flying at the camera, hth

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

Is the method of putting newly constructed/refurbished ships in the water really just tipping it in and hoping for the best?

There are other ways to do it, but most civil ships are unceremoniously dumped in whatever water is near the yard.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm guessing the ship would be mostly empty when doing that?
The dining hall would look like a poltergeist convention hit it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

hailthefish posted:

Especially the part where the reason NASA specifically didn't want to use regular pencils was because getting graphite dust everywhere in microgravity sucks rear end, and grease pencils (which both NASA and the Soviet space program made extensive use of) were prone to smudging, so some random pen company guy invented the crazy high-tech space pen on his own dime and gave them to NASA for free?

Yep. It was Fisher who designed the pressurized ink pen at their own cost of about 200,000 USD(not googling it). The resulting pen cost NASA about as much as a normal pen.

I actually have one of the older Fisher space pens(Black Grid Shuttle Pattern) . It has the original pressurized ink cartridge in it. It also sounds like your're cycling a bolt action rifle when you click the button on top and the side. loving solid as a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kragger99 posted:

I'm guessing the ship would be mostly empty when doing that?
The dining hall would look like a poltergeist convention hit it.
No, they make sure to load up all the plates, food, furniture, etc. in beforehand to ensure maximum sudden displacement and to give housekeeping something to do afterwards.

They also load the entire housekeeping staff so they'll be prepared for inclement weather.