Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Macaroni posted:

Back when I worked for a mass email SAAS vendor, I had to talk a client out of taking screenshots of Word documents and placing them in emails.

"Sure, this may impact our deliverability statistics, but it actually looks like it does on the boss' computer!"

God, the number of people who supposedly have years of design experience, yet who think HTML is an image format and get all pissy when someone else's computer displays the serif on an S very slightly differently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
AT&T scheduled a test and turn up at 4PM on the day before Thanksgiving. Middle finger in the air.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

AT&T scheduled a test and turn up at 4PM on the day before Thanksgiving. Middle finger in the air.

Trash provider is trash. I have not once been able to call AT&T about a new outage without spending at least 20 minutes between being on hold and being transferred around, and that usually includes at least one 'transfer' that just disconnects me. Even when I call the number they gave me a week ago about the same issue on the same circuit for the same customer.

If they can't even manage support teams and call routing properly, I don't see why they would be able to get anything else right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Being the middleman between two parties that are unyielding about conflicting configuration requirements for a server they both need to use is just the worst.

Group 1: "I need A"
Group 2: "But I need B and that won't work with A"
Me: "Well how about C?"
Everyone: "No that's even worse."

repeat fifty times.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Virigoth posted:

Things not pissing me off: going to AWS headquarters for meetings this week. My body is ready for the info dump.

Have fun drinking from the firehose! It can be motivating or overwhelming, depending on your mindset.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 7, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Entering the third month of trying to get a new circuit. Time Warner controls the last mile and they are so goddamn dumb. I'll be surprised if this is done before 2018.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

Entering the third month of trying to get a new circuit. Time Warner controls the last mile and they are so goddamn dumb. I'll be surprised if this is done before 2019.

FTFY

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who else has migrated an 0365 tenant to another one? Why is this a giant pile of poo poo? Why am I expected to rely on 3rd party tools for this? How did Microsoft gently caress this up so badly?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
How do you guys do your server naming schemes?

I started one that is like:

LocationCode-Role-EnvironmentIncrementingNumber

So a print server is: HQ-PRT-P001

But now there's talk of a lift-and-shift to a datacenter, so the location would no longer make sense.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Guy before me let the MSP talk him into naming everything with $ORG in front of it so they could differentiate which client they were working on, so everything from computers to servers to AD groups are marked with this lovely prefix that is completely meaningless to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Who else has migrated an 0365 tenant to another one? Why is this a giant pile of poo poo? Why am I expected to rely on 3rd party tools for this? How did Microsoft gently caress this up so badly?

I assume they never considered somebody might want to do it, and provide nothing to help you. I'd be tempted to try and swing through a Hybrid setup but that's a lot of effort.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

But now there's talk of a lift-and-shift to a datacenter, so the location would no longer make sense.

Subdomains are the only way to do it without it inevitably turning into a pile of poo poo. People around here looooove trying to encode everything into the hostname and it results in my dumb rear end having to ssh into fnmqsrvdbvm01.

If you manage to break it up into subdomains it doesn't necessarily get easier to type (though you can cheat by adding search domains to your resolv.conf) but at least it's legible.

The most clever geotagging solution I ever came across was using the code of the closest airstrip.. like if there was a data center outside of Chicago, every machine at that location would be server.ord.example.com.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://virtualizationreview.com/blogs/virtual-insider/2011/10/how-to-design-an-effective-naming-convention.aspx

is what I used when I designed our server naming convention. We have [org prefix][2 letter site abbreviation][P or V]-[primary purpose of the server using short abbreviation or single word]##

## starts at 01 and is incremented up.

Ex: ORGAAP-DC01 is physical domain controller 1 at our Ann Arbor location.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume they never considered somebody might want to do it, and provide nothing to help you. I'd be tempted to try and swing through a Hybrid setup but that's a lot of effort.

I think the main issue is that the reason we are moving is pretty petty. Basically the company changed names at one point and the on-microsoft addresses still reflect the old name. No changes in domain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How big is the company?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

How big is the company?

This tenant I am migrating is about 800 users. Its not only tentant we have but its the main one.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

Subdomains are the only way to do it without it inevitably turning into a pile of poo poo. People around here looooove trying to encode everything into the hostname and it results in my dumb rear end having to ssh into fnmqsrvdbvm01.

If you manage to break it up into subdomains it doesn't necessarily get easier to type (though you can cheat by adding search domains to your resolv.conf) but at least it's legible.

The most clever geotagging solution I ever came across was using the code of the closest airstrip.. like if there was a data center outside of Chicago, every machine at that location would be server.ord.example.com.

What if it was closer to MDW?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MF_James posted:

What if it was closer to MDW?

Then the subdomain is mdw. :science:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

This tenant I am migrating is about 800 users. Its not only tentant we have but its the main one.

I don't know if multi-geo is going to be something worth exploring. Each region gets its own corp.sharepoint.com domain but is part of the same Office 365 tenant. So there's work being done in this area.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have a small server in another country (2x 64GB drives in RAID1). It does it's job and usually has around 20% free space. I got a low disk warning of under 1%. Someone decided to throw a few movies into a share. The creator also had a copy of that and more on their desktop all with a creation date of today. They have lovely bandwidth so I'm fairly sure I believe what a confrontation where a manager knew the exact folder path to check revealed, that the files came from their phone.

They claim the files were synced automatically (bullshit). Manager there is a really gullible naive fool so of course he believes the guy. Due to it being another site it ended up reaching the C-levels who then asked me if it was possible the device synced and due to no other files being there I said I was positive that it was not the phone syncing. I don't really care what happens from this as long as it prevents people from throwing movies on there.

Going to draft up an email about not putting personal files on company servers and that the shares are monitored. Not that anyone will read it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh they did, and will do it for you, if you're the kind of org that signs multi-million dollar contract agreements with Microsoft.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Entering the third month of trying to get a new circuit. Time Warner controls the last mile and they are so goddamn dumb. I'll be surprised if this is done before 2018.

Do you not have a commercial rep? Business class had been somewhat less lovely than residential for engineering support.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I do like [function]-##{prod|dev}-{subIf}.subdomain

So Cisco expressway E 1 dev is expr-e-01dev-int.coresvc for the internal interface if it is a core or central service.

I use openDCIM or other documents to track where things are in most cases.

Phy equipment tends to be [role]-[location]XX-YY.subdomain so rtr-hospital50-1.netequip

That would be the Hospital voice router. I suppose that doesn't help to know that it does something voice oriented from that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Partycat posted:

Do you not have a commercial rep? Business class had been somewhat less lovely than residential for engineering support.

I'm working with Telepacific so their rep is limited in how much she can do. This has been a combination of trouble from the account side as well as engineering.

It doesn't much matter as the circuit upgrade is in preparation for maybe someday getting our mail and files off-prem.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Ah lame :(

Best of luck

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mine are like:

i-0418df560911869f4

:yaycloud:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've been tasked with replacing the ancient phone system at the store we recently acquired with our standard IP Office 500v2 setup.

It is a malfunctioning late 90s Norstar system with a bunch of 66 blocks. The worst of it though is that it has been touched by many hands over the years, and the labels originally written on the 66 blocks with Sharpie have long since faded. What few labels do remain are completely wrong. And there is no documentation. Strangely some of the extensions are jumpered through the 66 blocks 2 or 3 times even. I spent the better part of the day just figuring out what and where everything was.

And good thing we use the digital Avaya 1416 sets that only require a single wire pair! Because every jack in the premises was only wired with a single pair.

All of the 66 blocks will be coming out to be replaced with a single 24 port RJ45 patch panel.

Now to figure out how to interface the IP Office with their equally ancient Valcom paging system.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

stevewm posted:

All of the 66 blocks will be coming out to be replaced with a single 24 port RJ45 patch panel.

Do you have a cannon? I hope you have a cannon. Because if you have a cannon you could fire all of those 66 blocks out of a cannon.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off: My dumpster fire of an ex-director.

gently caress that loving guy. Just gently caress him all over.

He set up our azure tenant with his personal account, he used that account as an SQL service account. He's been gone a week and we're just scratching the surface on how loving stupid some of the poo poo he did was.

Don't even get me started on our Surface Hubs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off: My dumpster fire of an ex-director.

gently caress that loving guy. Just gently caress him all over.

He set up our azure tenant with his personal account, he used that account as an SQL service account. He's been gone a week and we're just scratching the surface on how loving stupid some of the poo poo he did was.

Don't even get me started on our Surface Hubs.

He scratched them? :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

stevewm posted:

Now to figure out how to interface the IP Office with their equally ancient Valcom paging system.

The last time I was in this situation I dealt with it by telling them the Valcom was incompatible with a digital phone system and teaching them how to use the telephone system paging function.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Our infrastructure is spread out over many locations, so we put a location code in every name.

(VM if virtual machine)RoleIncrementingNumberLocationCode

Example: VMDC01BA for Virtual DC #1 at BA. Or VMFS02CO for Virtual File Server #2 at Corp Office. Physical machines follow the same rules, just without the VM prefix.

For our machines at our "datacenter" I use CR as the location, which means "computer room".. Though more accurately it should be called a closet.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Do you have a cannon? I hope you have a cannon. Because if you have a cannon you could fire all of those 66 blocks out of a cannon.

Unfortunately no, but I am thinking about grabbing a sludge hammer off the shelf and just going to town. It all has to come down anyways :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Unfortunately no, but I am thinking about grabbing a sludge hammer off the shelf and just going to town. It all has to come down anyways :D

Don't forget the Office Space soundtrack.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

I've been tasked with replacing the ancient phone system at the store we recently acquired with our standard IP Office 500v2 setup.

It is a malfunctioning late 90s Norstar system with a bunch of 66 blocks. The worst of it though is that it has been touched by many hands over the years, and the labels originally written on the 66 blocks with Sharpie have long since faded. What few labels do remain are completely wrong. And there is no documentation. Strangely some of the extensions are jumpered through the 66 blocks 2 or 3 times even. I spent the better part of the day just figuring out what and where everything was.

And good thing we use the digital Avaya 1416 sets that only require a single wire pair! Because every jack in the premises was only wired with a single pair.

I’d thought I’d taken a step back in time reading that. Didn’t know there were many phone guys left.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

The last time I was in this situation I dealt with it by telling them the Valcom was incompatible with a digital phone system and teaching them how to use the telephone system paging function.

The IP Office can be configured for paging on one of the analog station lines. However the Valcom expects a loop start analog trunk input. From what I can tell, something like a Bogen TAM-B sitting in the middle should work to convert between the two.. Coincidentally I found a new in box TAM-B buried in the back of a closet at the corp office several months ago. Have no idea where it came from, but now I'll have a use for it!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I’d thought I’d taken a step back in time reading that. Didn’t know there were many phone guys left.

I'm no phone guy.. But I have had to figure it out to get it done. I do install our IP Office systems seeing as they are incredibly easy and RJ45 throughout. We use Basic mode IP Office, so only a handful of changes are needed from the default.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I get press-ganged into being a phone guy on occasion if I need to help our telephony guys, and its such a bizarre world.
We have a site where the new CEO wanted a Polycom conference phone in his office, instead of in the meeting room down the hall. He helps me shift his desk, I get behind it and find a analog jack sitting there next to a used CAT5 jack.

I get the number and head into the basement. So that jack goes to a 110 block, where it is cross connected to another block that gets converted to amphenol into our phone system. I punch it down, and nothing. Turns out the label had shifted a bit. Get it right and yay phone works, and I end up looking like I know what I'm doing.
5 minutes later, I'm helping trace an another analog extension for a device, and its going to the same 110 block, which is then cross connected to a 66 block, which is then split into some thingy that is shared with the alarm system. The ability to know what I'm doing is suddenly gone.
Our head VOIP guy and I once hung a voicemail system from some shelf supports with cross-connect wire because we needed wallspace. I'm really glad that didn't fall.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I work for a small company.. So I am the phone guy, the CCTV guy, the IT janitor, printer repair, etc.. Basically if it has buttons on it, I get to fix it.

Even though we don't use IP phones, the phone wiring is done up like any Ethernet installation.. RJ45 keystones with all 4 pairs wired to 568B pattern, CAT5e/CAT6 to patch panels in the same rack with the network equipment, etc.. Helps that IP Office 500 is all RJ45, and the phones use RJ45, even though they are not IP phones.

No 110 or 66 blocks in sight.

If I want to move a phone extension, I just move the patch cable to a different jack. Easy enough..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just generate UUIDs to name my servers.