Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

That's bad?

it's not bad, it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Just to clarify, are you comparing today's turnout as of that reporting to 2013's final turnout?

That's what he's been doing at every step along the way.

Blitz7x posted:

That's bad?
It isn't.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well this morning I voted for Goldman Sachs Man. At least he'll raise the minimum wage. And isn't Chris Christie's racist stooge. Sigh.

I'm actually quite surprised how much race baiting there is in the Republican lawn signs along Route 27. I don't think they're false flags. Surprised the NJ GOP is making sanctuaries the hill they'll die on. Are they expecting racism to help them in the down ballot?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Echo Chamber posted:

Well this morning I voted for Goldman Sachs Man. At least he'll raise the minimum wage. And isn't Chris Christie's racist stooge. Sigh.

I'm actually quite surprised how much race baiting there is in the Republican lawn signs along Route 27. I don't think they're false flags. Surprised the NJ GOP is making sanctuaries their issue. Are they expecting racism to help them in the down ballot?

Racism can and does win elections in many parts of this weird-rear end state.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

axeil posted:

Prince William County (D+20) Update

https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/928007324974936070

2013 turnout was 41%

Falls Church City (D+58) Update

https://twitter.com/davebjerke/status/928006482045566976

2013 turnout was 66%

Prince William seems a bit low but Falls Church looks on pace to match 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Just to clarify, are you comparing today's turnout as of that reporting to 2013's final turnout?

Yes. All the comparisons are to final 2013 turnout, not turnout as of that time (because I don't have that information)

If I post more updates I'll make sure to specify the 2013 turnout is final 2013 turnout.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Update: since NoVA has gone as well as it has, we've pulled all phone bankers toward Petersburg.

GOON SQUAD: SWITCH TO CENTRAL VA PHONE BANKS PLEASE.

Two hours and twenty one minutes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axeil posted:

Yes. All the comparisons are to final 2013 turnout, not turnout as of that time (because I don't have that information)

If I post more updates I'll make sure to specify the 2013 turnout is final 2013 turnout.

Where are you getting final turnouts from 2013?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Update: since NoVA has gone as well as it has, we've pulled all phone bankers toward Petersburg.

I have some free time, cna I phonebank from a cell phone?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I have some free time, cna I phonebank from a cell phone?

You can. About to PM you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo folks. Great job out there!

theflyingorc posted:

Where are you getting final turnouts from 2013?

http://apps4va.cs.jmu.edu/2017/code/recent_years.jsp?locality=Falls+Church+City&contact_submitted=Submit

Has results by county for all the past state-wide elections except 2016.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Shorty cold rain here in northern NJ, we're still sending out van loads of people to knock on doors.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Prince William seems a bit low but Falls Church looks on pace to match 2013

Prince William got hit particularly hard with the absentee ballot stick this year totalling 13k votes. Given that there were roughly 100k votes in 2013 and factoring population growth we can estimate 10% or so added onto that figure. They’re probably doing fine for turnout.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

For those who haven't obsessed over the statistics as much as some of us have, Petersburg is the most hilariously Democratic locality in Virginia. The average large Democratic City ran at about a D+50 margin last year, the even more hardcore university town of Charlottesville went about D+60. Petersburg went D + 75.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/927986553217081344

:v:

https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/928015987412226056

This is a bit disappointing though. drat it Alexandria!

edit: actually Ariel Edwards-Levy is being rather funny right now and is a pro-follow. I know everyone's feeling a bit tense. We all could use a bit of a laugh.

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/927990437067022338

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/927991718061932545

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/927992629639380993

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 7, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

They’re being conservative if that’s the estimate.

https://twitter.com/AlexandriaVAGov/status/928014589324865537?s=17

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm actually quite surprised how much race baiting there is in the Republican lawn signs along Route 27. I don't think they're false flags. Surprised the NJ GOP is making sanctuaries the hill they'll die on. Are they expecting racism to help them in the down ballot?

this entire state is fygm trench warfare between the cities and the suburbs what did you expect?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
God dammit Virginia don't let me down. :ohdear:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

farraday posted:

They’re being conservative if that’s the estimate.

https://twitter.com/AlexandriaVAGov/status/928014589324865537?s=17

That's already more voters than in 2013. I don't see how they wont' get into the 50s

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/928017683282644992

Charlottesville(D+67) confirmed Mad About Nazis, turnout has now surpassed the last Gubernatorial election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

47% with 3 hours to go guarantees over 50. I bet we get 55.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

God dammit Virginia don't let me down. :ohdear:

Virginia let *you* down? Excuse me but I have heard tell you’ve refered to us as a State and you think Plymouth was a better colony than Jamestown! I say good day!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
This morning I sat down at my republican co-worker's desk in DC and told him that it was stupid for us to go vote 45 minutes out in Fairfax county in the rain, what are the chances either candidate wins/loses by 1 vote? Then I said I was going to the gym at lunch, and drove down picked up my parents from Vienna and we all voted

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This morning I sat down at my republican co-worker's desk in DC and told him that it was stupid for us to go vote 45 minutes out in Fairfax county in the rain, what are the chances either candidate wins/loses by 1 vote? Then I said I was going to the gym at lunch, and drove down picked up my parents from Vienna and we all voted

congrats on adding an extra half vote to your total through chicanery

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

Virginia let *you* down? Excuse me but I have heard tell you’ve refered to us as a State and you think Plymouth was a better colony than Jamestown! I say good day!

You ever been to Jamestown? One of the coolest adult vacations I ever did was, dorky enough, Colonial Williamsburg + Jamestown. It's crazy walking around the Jamestown ruins and realizing just how old it is. It's also really, really pretty in the fall.

I also had a long conversation with the Print Shop Owner at Colonial Williamsburg who told me all about how the colonists ended up dividing politically during the Revolution. The really rich and the poor were generally pro-Independence while the shop owners and middle class artisans were Loyalists because without Great Britain they were pretty screwed in terms of buying/selling their goods.

He seemed really excited to talk about all this stuff, I got the sense that not a lot of people visited the printing press and then actually asked a whole bunch of questions.

Really interesting stuff.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 7, 2017

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Heroes arise when we need them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

farraday posted:

As long as you manage to elect the less offensive white guy for governor you can be whatever you want to be. :colbert:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I stopped by the Golds and did a bare bones chest/triceps workout before returning to work

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SHOAH NUFF posted:

:911:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

axeil posted:

You ever been to Jamestown? One of the coolest adult vacations I ever did was, dorky enough, Colonial Williamsburg + Jamestown. It's crazy walking around the Jamestown ruins and realizing just how old it is. It's also really, really pretty in the fall.

I also had a long conversation with the Print Shop Owner at Colonial Williamsburg who told me all about how the colonists ended up dividing politically during the Revolution. The really rich and the poor were generally pro-Independence while the shop owners and middle class artisans were Loyalists because without Great Britain they were pretty screwed in terms of buying/selling their goods.

Yeah Colonial Williamsburg has some really neat stuff. I was a rooomate with one of the historical interpreters and she had a closet full of old timey costumes. Jamestown is neat too but frankly early colonists were insane.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/928017683282644992

Charlottesville(D+67) confirmed Mad About Nazis, turnout has now surpassed the last Gubernatorial election.

You don't know that, they might be coming out to support the nazis.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

Yeah Colonial Williamsburg has some really neat stuff. I was a rooomate with one of the historical interpreters and she had a closet full of old timey costumes. Jamestown is neat too but frankly early colonists were insane.

Yeah the Jamestown tour guides told us a story about how they almost definitely murdered a little girl so they could eat her :gonk:

The Colonial Williamsburg guides are crazy knowledgeable too. I had another casual conversation with a woman who was able to tell me all the biographical information about who she was playing and a whole bunch of other general info about what colonial life is like. It's really impressive.

Also the blacksmith/silversmith are legitimately making and selling things using 18th century techniques and they look great. They aren't just play-acting when they're at their forges and furnaces, they're making real stuff with the intent to sell it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

He seemed really excited to talk about all this stuff, I got the sense that not a lot of people visited the printing press and then actually asked a whole bunch of questions.

It's flipping gorgeous in fall. Right now my "office view" is out over the James River with the leaves just starting to turn red and gold, which almost makes up for being immersed in freezing water up to my wrists half the time.

One of my favorite experiences from Jamestown (go to the real one, not just the fake one, you drat kids :rant:) is standing on a brick hearth floor waist deep in an excavation, pointing to the 250-year-old plantation house ruins a stone's throw away, and reminding the person I was talking to that to the people who lived in the house when it was built, that hearth floor was as long in the past as the Civil War is now.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, in fall.
All summer though you’re swimming through air soup. I’ll take NOVA where atleast we can pretend to be civilized in August.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

It's flipping gorgeous in fall. Right now my "office view" is out over the James River with the leaves just starting to turn red and gold, which almost makes up for being immersed in freezing water up to my wrists half the time.

One of my favorite experiences from Jamestown (go to the real one, not just the fake one, you drat kids :rant:) is standing on a brick hearth floor waist deep in an excavation, pointing to the 250-year-old plantation house ruins a stone's throw away, and reminding the person I was talking to that to the people who lived in the house when it was built, that hearth floor was as long in the past as the Civil War is now.

I was really impressed with the church where they had the glass over parts of the floor where they buried people and realized those burial sites were made when William Shakespeare was still alive :stare:

farraday posted:

Yeah, in fall.
All summer though you’re swimming through air soup. I’ll take NOVA where atleast we can pretend to be civilized in August.

Oh god :gonk:

Don't go to Williamsburg in the summer. I had my worst family vacation as a kid there. You're hot and sweaty and being a kid you're too young/dumb to appreciate it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 7, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

farraday posted:

Yeah, in fall.

What I always tell people is if you come on a golden morning in early May, you'll see why the colonists thought there was no land so perfectly fit for man. If you come on a sweltering August afternoon, you'll be dead, just like two-thirds of those same colonists. :hist101:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm in MD and the weather is absolutely miserable. Is it bad in NoVA too?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

empty whippet box posted:

While it's possible, I have found the mood around town to be decidedly anti-nazi. My 'gently caress yo statue' button got me a high five today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

C'mon dude.

• Locked thread