Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

empty whippet box posted:

You don't know that, they might be coming out to support the nazis.
No, that's Greene County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ya'll are thinking of Lynchburg.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
CNN is all about how Democratic perception is worse than it's been in 25 years and they're loving up in VA and I can't even anymore.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Petr posted:

CNN is all about how Democratic perception is worse than it's been in 25 years and they're loving up in VA and I can't even anymore.

Did they have Donna "Failure follows me around like a cloud of death" Brazille on to say that?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
smart people who know what's going on: how good do you feel about VA's chances right now compared to, say, last night

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Petr posted:

Turnout is decent in the places where it matters. We'll see.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/928025635787853825?s=17

DO NOT TRUST EARLY EXITS

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

as if I'm not going to take every scrap that agrees with what I think should happen and hold it close like a precious baby bird

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

empty whippet box posted:

You don't know that, they might be coming out to support the nazis.

This is probably a joke but unlikely-- remember that Petersburg is the most Democratic locality at D+75, but Cville comes in second with a respectable D+57. (Third is Richmond with D+54, followed by Arlington, Falls Church, and Alexandria all clustered very close together at about ~D+47, and the actual cities of the Hampton Roads in the high D+30s.) The table in this article is well worth considering, both in conjunction with relative turnout numbers vs. 2013 and last year, and as results start to come out.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

axeil posted:

You ever been to Jamestown? One of the coolest adult vacations I ever did was, dorky enough, Colonial Williamsburg + Jamestown. It's crazy walking around the Jamestown ruins and realizing just how old it is. It's also really, really pretty in the fall.

I also had a long conversation with the Print Shop Owner at Colonial Williamsburg who told me all about how the colonists ended up dividing politically during the Revolution. The really rich and the poor were generally pro-Independence while the shop owners and middle class artisans were Loyalists because without Great Britain they were pretty screwed in terms of buying/selling their goods.

He seemed really excited to talk about all this stuff, I got the sense that not a lot of people visited the printing press and then actually asked a whole bunch of questions.

Really interesting stuff.

I had a long talk with the printing press guy at New Echota one time. He printed me a huge copy of the Cherokee Phoenix that I still have. Park interpreters are great people who just want everyone else to be as excited about things as they are.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This morning I sat down at my republican co-worker's desk in DC and told him that it was stupid for us to go vote 45 minutes out in Fairfax county in the rain, what are the chances either candidate wins/loses by 1 vote? Then I said I was going to the gym at lunch, and drove down picked up my parents from Vienna and we all voted

lmao gj

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Fairfax at 2013 levels as of 5pm, including absentee.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm actually quite surprised how much race baiting there is in the Republican lawn signs along Route 27. I don't think they're false flags. Surprised the NJ GOP is making sanctuaries the hill they'll die on. Are they expecting racism to help them in the down ballot?

the nj gop has been under a federal consent decree since 1982 over racial intimidation and ratfuckery

apart from gov bobby bacala it's literally all they have

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/statuses/928027681266061312

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

RIP

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

:rolleyes:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Fairfax at 2013 levels as of 5pm, including absentee.

I really hope Justin Fairfax cleans up in Fairfax County again because that was super amusing in the primaries.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:yikes:

Demographic problems, part 2.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jeez that doesn't seem good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

are people going to panic when gillespie gets an early lead too?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Of course.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

QuoProQuid posted:

Yes

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

We are gonna wear out the :matters: emoticon tonight aren't we

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

Y'all are hosed. :sympathy:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axeil posted:

This is not the same as racist/not racist.

It's racists + "it's history why not leave them". That's a lot of people.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Y'all are hosed. :sympathy:

Oh do shut up.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Confederate statue issue is very important to Gillespie's base, while Northam's is split-- white college-educated lean keep but don't have strong feelings on the matter usually, while black voters loving hate the monuments and no loving wonder. So this is about what you get in the population as a whole, and doesn't say a lot about how their opinion re statues influenced their vote.

Also,

farraday posted:

DO NOT TRUST EARLY EXITS

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

No because I have 538's handy-dandy county by county tracker.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-virginia-governors-race-might-not-be-predictive-but-it-could-really-matter/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I had a long talk with the printing press guy at New Echota one time. He printed me a huge copy of the Cherokee Phoenix that I still have. Park interpreters are great people who just want everyone else to be as excited about things as they are.

The Alamo medical dude will answer questions until everyone else in the conversation turns green and excuses themselves.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
We're winding down the phone operation. Doors knocked has gone past the 3-million mark as of 3 PM. And people are still knocking.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Democrats have finally come around on racism.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

QuoProQuid posted:

No I'm going to eat ice cream and watch netflix until about 11 pm.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the nj gop has been under a federal consent decree since 1982 over racial intimidation and ratfuckery

apart from gov bobby bacala it's literally all they have
I live in the "less racist suburbs" part of the state. We still have racists, but... yeah.

I still remember the photo of the other Governor Christie frisking a black guy and smiling.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FFS I remember months ago during the height of the statue removal debate there were polls showing that a majority of Americans did NOT support removing them. Out of everyone.

This is one inexact exit poll taken god knows where in Virginia where white democrats are assholes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

60% of people think healthcare is a government responsibility, too, so clearly democrats will win all elections in the nation

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh do shut up.

I'm getting 2016 flashbacks right now, the smugness draining into horror at the realization that We'd Been Had.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm getting 2016 flashbacks right now, the smugness draining into horror at the realization that We'd Been Had.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/927926544978403328

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

I understand the temptation to look at polls and freak out but if you do that you'll need to grapple with why you believe that some of them are predictive and others aren't.

The better course is to realize that early exits suck and nobody can really know anything yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

They don't say which place though

• Locked thread