Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Find the one where the command is cool and his friends. That's my favorite mustangism. It has to right around the command climate one.

Edit: more specifically I think that it was something like "the chain of command seems to genuinely care about soldiers"

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
An old boss of mine: “One great thing about the army is if you hate your boss, you’ll have a new one in 2 years or less. :D

The lovely thing about the army is the same is true if you have a good boss :(

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

if you're doing it for the money you've got really low standards

i mean if being a cheap drunk is your thing, then you do you

To be fair, think about how much money it is compared to civilian life. Health care, life insurance, BAH/BAS, cola (sometimes). Plus retirement at 20 or less (depending on medboard). It’s actually a really loving sweet deal but the whole loving thing sucks.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The New Zealand army website 'become an officer' page used to begin "Officers are army's managers." It was a major factor in me not going full retard, so the army did me a solid there, I think.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

To be fair, think about how much money it is compared to civilian life. Health care, life insurance, BAH/BAS, cola (sometimes). Plus retirement at 20 or less (depending on medboard). It’s actually a really loving sweet deal but the whole loving thing sucks.

Yeah, it depends. I've seen some get out and make good bank. I also had a friend get out as a junior captain (~2 years TIG, got out as soon as he could based on West Point commitment). He got a job that, on paper, paid about 5-10 grand more per year than captain. But factoring in tax changes, healthcare, relocation to a state with higher state income taxes, and cost of living, he said it was like a 15K/year paycut in reality. He's still very happy he got out.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
What the hell do you do at work past 1830 in garrison, anyway? I've never been in a unit that was that pants on head stupid outside of a few tryhard Majors.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

What the hell do you do at work past 1830 in garrison, anyway? I've never been in a unit that was that pants on head stupid outside of a few tryhard Majors.

Nothing. But some gently caress nut up at battalion or brigade gets a good idea at 5 and drops that turd on units desks and then peaces out.

Or it's Excel spreadsheets. Always with the spreadsheets.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Attempt to fix a training plan that your only guidance was “UNFUCK THIS NOW”, sent at 4:55 and expected to be done by the next morning.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Ummm excuse me but there’s red boxes on this excell spreadsheet. They need to be green.

Now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Today I learned the military has a paralegal competition. I wonder how much pt scores, weapons qual, land nav, and other poo poo that has nothing to do with being a paralegal is a part of it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Today I learned the military has a paralegal competition. I wonder how much pt scores, weapons qual, land nav, and other poo poo that has nothing to do with being a paralegal is a part of it.

LMAO what?

Edit a quick Google later.
https://www.army.mil/article/187618/paralegal_soldiers_from_across_usarpac_compete_in_10th_annual_best_paralegal_competition

Because a 12 mile Ruck has a ton to do with being a "not a lawyer"

Flikken fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 7, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I guess it’s limited to the 101st or maybe it was the 101st’s time of year to do it but yeah. I follow them on FB and just saw an update about some e5 and e3 winning paralegals of the year.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Like I figure most MOS's have some sort of competition, my unit sent a team to compete in whatever the MPs call their competition...while were deployed in Bagram. loving stupid waste of resources.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

quote:

Over the course of the week competitors were challenged by a series of mentally and physically activities at various locations

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I remember the first time I visited my wife's MI unit. I gave her so much poo poo because their Soldier of the Year had a marksman badge.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

Ummm excuse me but there’s red boxes on this excell spreadsheet. They need to be green.

Now.

Jokes on you. I made a rule for the training room spreadsheet that automatically made any of my red boxes turn green. Went years without mandatory training at my last duty station.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Oh it’s not our trackers, it’s BN and BDE just constantly giving us more poo poo to do

Besides all you need for online training certificates is a little bit of work with the snipping tool

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t trust anybody in the military with a snipping tool

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:rolleyes:

ALMS and such still give you certificates as a web page, right? Just change the name right there and print away.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Am I the only one that ignores the staff when they say they need something crazy right at 5? I tell them no all the time.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Now.

Condition code/Number less than or equal to/.3/red
Greater than .31/green

Solved.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

:rolleyes:

ALMS and such still give you certificates as a web page, right? Just change the name right there and print away.

Then there's the multiple choice things that lower enlisted have to do that will highlight the correct answer if you hit TAB on the keyboard. lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Am I the only one that ignores the staff when they say they need something crazy right at 5? I tell them no all the time.

Nope, that's pretty normal. A bad staff will keep doing this until you ignore stuff they sent out at 10 AM. A good staff will actually call you and make you know why it's important if it actually is an "oh poo poo" bit of info.

Also at my last unit, we got yelled at if there were too many green boxes. That's because we'd done the work to know it was loving impossible to do it all, so the assumption was that if everything was green you either were a liar or were forcing people to do a bunch of extra work. They just prioritized the requirements. Low-priority meant "do what you can if no one has anything better to do" so they were typically at 50% or lower rates, despite being "mandatory" according to the army.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 8, 2017

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I think Objective T might be one of the top 3 if not the most detrimental thing in the Army right now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What is objective T? I need to know what I’m laughing at.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

What is objective T? I need to know what I’m laughing at.

Sunny version: It puts hard numbers on readiness so commanders can't just say they're 100% good to go when they're manned at 70% or even when they're manned at 90%, but the 10% they're missing is stuff like critical NCO/Officer billets. A lot of commanders have long been all kinds of afraid to say they aren't ready for war now, and this creates some training milestones and hard numbers to keep them from bullshitting to make slides green.

Negative version: Commanders will still find some way to fudge things, or some arbitrary lack of one person will mean you aren't a T, or some other anger about how exactly the math works. Also, presumably, you could see dumb things like basing training timelines on manning levels to get after Objective T vs training to standard before doing major events. And I'm sure there are/will be some cranky commanders out there making their people go insane trying to break Objective T over their knee to turn Ps into Ts.

Where did it come from? Back when drawdowns and budget cuts occurred, the Navy and Air Force at least described exactly what it meant they wouldn't have. The Army was like "Mission First, we can do this, HOOAH!" and that turned out to be a poor approach IMO. It didn't come to exist due to CSA Milley, but IIRC he's pushing it much harder to try to get truth data vs turning red blocks green and Us/Ps to Ts without any resources or training to back it up.

e: Like so many things in the Army, I assume that how much it ruins someone's day depends on their unit and command climate.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Sunny version: It puts hard numbers on readiness so commanders can't just say they're 100% good to go when they're manned at 70% or even when they're manned at 90%, but the 10% they're missing is stuff like critical NCO/Officer billets. A lot of commanders have long been all kinds of afraid to say they aren't ready for war now, and this creates some training milestones and hard numbers to keep them from bullshitting to make slides green.

So it's USR?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My engineering unit had AVLBs that were always, always deadlined. We had 6 of them, and 4 were shipped overseas broken, towed off the boat, towed on a truck, towed off into the FOB motorpool, and then back again the following year. Because they were classified at the time as strategic, theatre-level core assets our readiness hovered around 20%. We got a call every.single.week from a very nice random LTC from MNF-I wondering what the gently caress was going on. Every single week we had to explain that the AVLBs would be eternally broken because the parts that we needed to fix them were 1) obscenely expensive 2) obscenely heavy 3) obscenely hard to acquire.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Basically but a commander handwaving away significant manning/equipment/training shortages will supposedly both get called on bullshit and receive higher priority for outside support.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Basically but a commander handwaving away significant manning/equipment/training shortages will supposedly both get called on bullshit and receive higher priority for outside support.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It’s so cute ☺️

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
We’ll see if it works but it’s very deliberately designed to say “nope” to commanders at all level who post up bullshit.

This could be good or bad for people at lower levels. Or both!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

We’ll see if it works but it’s very deliberately designed to say “nope” to commanders at all level who post up bullshit.

This could be good or bad for people at lower levels. Or both!

There's a loophole for commanders. Of course.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The dumbest poo poo is being T1 and having your USR kicked back because you didn’t put a comment in about how you’re going to stay a T1. It was really tempting to just put “We’re gonna keep doing what we’ve been doing.”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I know a guy who posts up a P every single month and of course has the manning stats to say that according to Objective T they will literally never hit T. He just kind of explains this for a minute or two every single month. And then they grumble and move on. He likes it.

I also know a guy who's being harangued nonstop by his cdr to find a way to totally bullshit the new system and he hates life.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The question higher usually asks: “Why are you hosed up?”
The question higher should ask: “How can we help you not be hosed up?”

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Retardog posted:

If this really worked, the Army wouldn't be so dumb.

College is mandatory for officers but taking logic/ethics classes aren't.

So many loving logical fallacies with leadership.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Retardog posted:

I was told that Casualty Assistance, had they even known the correct answer to "how do I handle the estate matters?" would not have been allowed to tell me the answer because they're not allowed to give me legal advice. "You need to go to the county courthouse" is apparently legal advice.

"We need to make you an appointment with legal, but they only open their appointment books at 0800 every Thursday and stop answering the phone once they fill a week's worth of appointments, so hopefully we'll get 'em this time" is not legal advice, though.

(I've been told that the legal office at Meade has changed their policy so that a surviving spouse can now get a priority appointment, though, so at least I've caused changes to happen)

McNally fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 9, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I know I've probably asked before but how in the gently caress do you not have extreme explosive anger issues, McNally?

Christ. At least I was able to crush the retarded dreams of someone the other day by pulling up your posting history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I know I've probably asked before but how in the gently caress do you not have extreme explosive anger issues, McNally?

Christ. At least I was able to crush the retarded dreams of someone the other day by pulling up your posting history.

Honestly? I'm pretty sure that a significant part of my soul died with my wife.