Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm getting 2016 flashbacks right now, the smugness draining into horror at the realization that We'd Been Had.

Nobody is being smug about this election. The fundamentals look good so far, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm getting 2016 flashbacks right now, the smugness draining into horror at the realization that We'd Been Had.
you're literally experiencing PTSD and itd probably be better to disengage.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
That statue poll is okay. Not worried! Lots of the democrat turnout in VA especially NoVA is Asian immigrants, and I bet most of them don't really give a poo poo either way about some monuments to an old war

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
What's the best site for looking at results with a fancy map?

edit: anti-Arzy medication for when the rural counties report.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

axeil posted:

Famcy maps are for losers you should look at spreadsheets which are for losers with big hairy eyebrows.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Your Boy Fancy posted:

We're winding down the phone operation. Doors knocked has gone past the 3-million mark as of 3 PM. And people are still knocking.

I once spent a grueling, hot summer in college canvassing and only knocked on ~2000 doors so this is extremely impressive to me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

Famcy maps are for losers you should look at spreadsheets which are for losers with big hairy eyebrows.

I've already got my spreadsheets though...the actual VA state election board results page.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

farraday posted:

RIP Eve Online. :(

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

axeil posted:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/MelissaCBS6/status/928022842679201797

trump won this county by 2%.

2013 total turnout was 48.5%

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
turnout is apparently currently at 37%, whereas it was 43% in 2013. So it looks like they'll hit that or under?

If these Democratic areas are higher than expected like we're seeing, then that would mean that Republican areas are MUCH lower. Which would be very good.

edit: whoops, I misread, that was just Richmond. My analysis is worthless.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I'm curious to see how the Democrats actually having a ton of local candidates winds up affecting margins in the red wastes. Gotta figure a candidate's neighbors and friends at least might venture a straight D vote where they otherwise might have sat out in hostile territory.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I swear to God that picture gives me loving PTSD.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I don't understand this map. Why are nuclear power plants supposed to be nuke targets? I've heard that what would basically happen is small weapons would be targeted on the major cities with the big guns pointed at like, Montana and Wyoming because this is the best guess as to where our arsenal is located.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Good, gently caress Chesterfield.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Good, gently caress Chesterfield.

Yep. This is a trump county and the turnout is down

Probably good news? Not sure what it means for the House of Delegates though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://wtop.com/virginia/2017/11/virginia-2017-general-election-results-house-of-delegates/

WTOP has a house of delegates race results map up. This is where the real action's gonna be.

come on danica, come on danica :ohdear:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
the hairs on my neck stood up when I saw that NYT expected outcome gauge, and now my mouth is really dry

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/wyethwire/status/928031998819565570

please don't meltdown until we are at #6 thank you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

THE DOOM NEEDLE IS CALIBRATED

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

canepazzo posted:

I swear to God that picture gives me loving PTSD.

Yep.

Yep.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SHOAH NUFF posted:

the hairs on my neck stood up when I saw that NYT expected outcome gauge, and now my mouth is really dry

Yep, last year's election was quite literally a traumatizing event, with all of the related psychological responses

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oxxidation posted:

THE DOOM NEEDLE IS CALIBRATED

I have been staring at this thread with :stare: on my face for half an hour refreshing and this made me laugh so hard I dropped my laptop.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I just stared crying and I don't know why?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

"don't take down this Robert e Lee statue" in Virginia is much different than "don't take down this Robert e Lee statue" in Tucson

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah I laughed at the doom needle post too. I stared at that loving thing for over 10 hours a year ago

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

By the way, this page is the one you want if you want a cool map. Also featuring the Doom Needle! All hail the Doom Needle!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blitz7x posted:

"don't take down this Robert e Lee statue" in Virginia is much different than "don't take down this Robert e Lee statue" in Tucson

Only because they spend years indoctrinating Virginians with how noble he was for his struggle between country and state before choosing state and aaaaargh. War flashbacks to elementary school civil war unit, never good.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Yes, it’s even more inportant we take them down in VA, but I realize not all these fuckers understand that so we’re taking this slow. End the prohibition on locals deciding to do it themselves is a good start.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Do I have to refresh or will it change on its own?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/928035493941477376

County was D+25 in 2016, 2013 Total Turnout was 50.5%

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gort posted:

They don't say which place though

Jokes aside I think UT's strategy starts to approach ideal - pick out the people you're definitely honoring for other very good reasons, move the other statues to a consolidated out of the way location.

I HOPE UT settles on also emplacing explanations of why the monuments were garbage, but even without that it's basically an acceptable solution on most levels.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

axeil posted:

Definitely going to beat that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, and Confederate statues aren't so much a Republican thing as they are a white thing. If white Democrats were totally on board with minority issues (oversimplification, but you know what I mean), the party wouldn't be bickering over whether it's focusing too much on them.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Northam has 0 votes. We're hosed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, and Confederate statues aren't so much a Republican thing as they are a white thing. If white Democrats were totally on board with minority issues (oversimplification, but you know what I mean), the party wouldn't be bickering over whether it's focusing too much on them.

Good point.

I'm in favor of melting 'em all down but I'd be willing to compromise on "put them all in a museum and explain the historical context" if that got them out of our public places.

45 minutes :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/928029669160517633

Nate Cohn already admitting the NYTimes models have lowballed the turnout.

edit2:

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/928027166742327296

The Justin Fairfax Effect

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 8, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

Good point.

I'm in favor of melting 'em all down but I'd be willing to compromise on "put them all in a museum and explain the historical context" if that got them out of our public places.

45 minutes :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/928029669160517633

Nate Cohn already admitting the NYTimes models have lowballed the turnout.

I've been taking polls for what people want to replace Monument Avenue with, so far my suggestion of Wahunsenecawh/Chief Powhatan for Jeb! Stuart's place is meeting with moderate acceptance but everyone can get behind dynamiting Jeff Davis and replacing him with Elizabeth van Lew

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

axeil posted:

In 2013 the absentee were about 5% of turnout, can’t find a number for this year just a news article with local government official saying a lot more absentee votes. Figure 7% to be conservative imo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

axeil posted:

Most of them art even old enough or made well enough to warrant that treatment.
Melt'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Labor office is closed.

We’ve done all we can.

I feel nothing.

• Locked thread