Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Delita's BSB is a lot weaker compared to a good enElement BSB once you add in chant because his base damage is lower so you aren't getting nearly as much out of the chant. If you compare the damage Cloud USB + Chant + Delita BSB is worse than Cloud USB + Chant + most enElement BSBs.

Without chant he is pretty comparable and being able to hit 4 different elements is amazing.

My options for physical enElement are rather limited. Luneth bsb, gladiolus bsb, ingus bsb, Zack bsb, WoL bsb, and not sure who else. I'll take slightly less damage for more utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Prism posted:

Fun fact: the majority of Liquid Flame's attacks are not fire.

(They're mostly physical or resisted with Instant KO resistance.)

Well ain't that a buzz kill. :smith:

Oh well I'm still happy anyways, even if it's super niche in use it's cool to get the debut of a new mechanic.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My options for physical enElement are rather limited. Luneth bsb, gladiolus bsb, ingus bsb, Zack bsb, WoL bsb, and not sure who else. I'll take slightly less damage for more utility.
Zack BSB is wind imperil, not enwind

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well ain't that a buzz kill. :smith:

Oh well I'm still happy anyways, even if it's super niche in use it's cool to get the debut of a new mechanic.

I got hit by that too. I think I have more fire resist accessories than any other element (I certainly used to; renewals might have changed, that but I didn't bother counting) but nope!

The only fire attacks Liquid Flame has at all are the tornado's Savage Firaga, plus a 20% chance of countering any damage to its hand form with Fira. Blaze (and Savage Blaze) are percentage damage and thus instant KO resist, and Ray is physical. In humanoid form, it can't do any fire damage at all.

I haven't looked at Aria much, so I can't speak for her quality, but it might be useful on other fights. Hell, maybe you could use it here, since you'll have instant KO resistance accessories equipped and probably don't have any fire resistance gear on.

Edit: Tornado also casts Firaga, but only at itself to heal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes, it is great for covering your weaknesses early on. I've used it a lot in the past, especially when Cloud USB was first released. It was vital for some of my clears before Cloud USB due to it also comboing with Eiko BSB to great effect.

I was more addressing someone else's lament for not picking it up, which I already mentioned. I don't use it at all anymore because I lucked into Chant and have decent elemental coverage. It doesn't age well once you have chant, but covering 4 elements is nice as I already mentioned.

I kept using it well past the point where it was actually optimal because it was what used to work best for me and I didn't reevaluate it. Hence wanting to point out how Chant changes that dynamic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i got onion gauntlets (yay!) refia 6* fist weapon (i am ambivalent about this but she rides a chocobo into an enemy and punches the poo poo out of them, which i am sympathetic to) and aria lmr. aria lmr is okay but without any other relics feels a bit weird

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Lmr and nothing else on a character always feels bad

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Lmr and nothing else on a character always feels bad

I keep 100 gemming LMRs for characters with nothing else. It somehow made 100 gem pulls riskier than before when you could at least get an SSB.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’d happily take a LMR that could potentially end up useful down the road over most of the garbage SSBs. Also they tend to make nice synergy armor.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
I'm of the opinion that, over time, getting LMRs can be more beneficial than useless outdated SSBs (I mean, I have Aphmau's LMR and it's a nice perk even if I wasn't packed with her money relics. I would hesitate to use her even in CMs if her SSB was all I got for her). It -is- a kind of power up that tends to synergize with power creep rather than be eaten by it straight off, though the latter isn't unfathomable, of course.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does Reflecting Pool have a hidden draw fire effect? Because I swear, every time, the character that uses it gets targeted for a physical attack immediately.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Does Reflecting Pool have a hidden draw fire effect? Because I swear, every time, the character that uses it gets targeted for a physical attack immediately.

That's just blink status in general, you always lose it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I don't understand how the new ninja powers work in practice, keeping up multiple blinks so you can get 4 hits seems pretty unlikely.

Should I use them with a draw fire knight or are they designed around double casting?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

good luck finding a boss with PHY attacks

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't understand how the new ninja powers work in practice, keeping up multiple blinks so you can get 4 hits seems pretty unlikely.

Should I use them with a draw fire knight or are they designed around double casting?

Somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread but a really good pair up with those is Eiko's BSB. Once you use the Blink Ninja ability you can then use Eiko's CMD1 to stacks Blinks on it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing for Liquid Flame. I gave Ramza Draw Fire so that Yuffie could blink up, BSB, and then spam Raging Water. It actually works out pretty well, because the hand phase can paralyze, and it gives Ramza enough SB charge to use his BSB between Shouts.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Having any kind of blink is basically an invitation for the boss to immediately start spamming weak AoE of the blinked type.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
The one time my Shadow did amazingly well with the Dark Ninja abilities was on a purely Magic boss.

That being said, it worked great!

In other news, I went out and did things and read a book and played other video games today. Holy hell it's liberating not being tied to Renewal dungeons anymore.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 7, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Having any kind of blink is basically an invitation for the boss to immediately start spamming weak AoE of the blinked type.

Desperate indirect fix for game-breaking brokenness due to Wall: defense-piercing attacks
Solution: Alpha strikes with Cloud USB

Desperate indirect fix for game-breaking brokenness due to Cloud USB: burn down the RW system one game segment at a time, make all difficult bosses immune to Wind
Solution: Ninja blink skills + chasers, do a million 9999 hits to your target per turn

Desperate indirect fix for game-breaking brokenness due to Ninja Blink Skills doing like a million hits: constant aoe spam, all the time
Solution: Wall

The Powercreep Tango at work.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The latest JP report's out! They remembered a Poison character!?

FFXIII posted:

On Nov 10, we will be holding the FFXIII event "The fal'Cie's Puppets" featuring the Sanctum army members that stood in Lightning's way! This event will unlock Fang and Nabaat's Legend Spheres and Legend Materia, so don't miss out!
The EX++ dungeon of this event will also reward players with a new 5✭ Darkness ability, Darkness Brand (3xST Dark physical or magic dmg, medium chance to minor Imperil Dark)!
Additionally, the Ultimate dungeon will reward players with a 5✭ accessory, Lightning's Pendant, that greatly increases a character's Paralyse resistance. It will be a great help for bosses that can paralyse you!

FFIII posted:

Continuing on, the FFIII event "The Dazzling Light" that traces the path of the Warriors of Light will be held on Nov 17. In this event, the spotlight will be on the achievements of Ingus and Arc, as well as tracing Aria's memories.
Also, the Warriors of Light will face their strongest foe, the Cloud of Darkness, in this event. Take this chance to strengthen your party members!

Type 0 posted:

Next, on Nov 24, the 3rd FF Type-0 event will be held, featuring King and Cinque as new party members! Their Legend Sphere and Legend Dives will be unlocked as well, so look forward to seeing what strong effects they bring! King is well known as a skilled gunslinger while Cinque's appearances are pretty deceiving as she easily packs quite a wallop!

FFVI posted:

Wrapping up the month of November, we will be holding the FFVI event "The Returners Counterattack" on Nov 30! This event will trace the the memories of the Returners group, led by Edgar, that oppose the domination by the Gestahlian Empire. The brave General Leo also gets featured for his principled opposition against the Empire's atrocities! Look forward to seeing their Legend Spheres and Legend Materias unlocked!

FFXI 15th Anniversary Event posted:

On Nov 11, as part of the FFXI 15th anniversary celebrations, Absolute Virtue will appear as a Multiplayer battle in FFRK! Absolute Virtue changes his attacks based on the day, so take extra care to prepare for him!
Additionally, Prishe and Zeid Legend Dives and Legend Materia will be unlocked as well!

(We actually know the details ahead of schedule for the legend dives:
- Prishe LM1 (PHY +10% w/ Fist), LM2 (35% Dualcast Monk), LMR (Start with Crit=50%)
- Zeid LM1 (Darkness +15%), LM2 (40% chance of restoring HP to the user for 40% of the damage dealt with single-target Dark attacks), LMR (Start with En-Dark)

Episode Magicite posted:

New Holy and Dark Magicite Bosses
The next Episode:Magicite lands on Nov 9, with the addition of new Holy and Dark Magicite bosses. In the Holy Magicite, you'll find Siren (V) standing in your way, while the Dark Magicite will be guarded by Hades (VII). Take this chance to build up your party of the corresponding element!

Crystal Tower posted:

The next Crystal Tower opening will be on Nov 21, featuring the bosses below:

* Hades (FFIX)
* Exdeath 30 Years Ago (FFV)
* King Behemoth (FFXII)
* Emperor of Heaven (II)

Additionally, Emperor of Heaven will be strengthened even further, so be prepared.

As usual, the Cid Missions will reward players with Legend Motes, so don't miss out on that!

Then there's some mythril campaigns; 10 for Autumn, 3 for the 2nd Anniversary of the FFRK Line Account, and 1 each for logging in on the anniversaries of Lightning Returns and FFXV.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Hopefully DeNA can give King and Cinque some useful things :v:

Also I wondered if I had the big guns to beat Sealion with one healer.

I did!

It was a little RNG reliant though because this setup requires that Sealion doesn’t get AoE happy. I’ll likely stick with my safe Sealion team for now but I proved to myself that I can beat this big idiot with one healer!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 7, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok so I'm considering Legend Diving Vivi. I only have his BSB and LMR but from what I've seen he's a good LD even with no relics. I'm also 1 or 2 black crystals away from honing Meltdown to R3.

Here's the only thing holding me back: I don't know if he'll help me beat anything. I still have yet to beat the fire and earth magicites and I have plans to Cloud USB Retaliate the fire one and use Fujin BSB to beat earth. I'm not sure if Vivi will matter against the dark and holy magicites since I have a fully Legend Dived Raines with BSB and OSB.

Suggestions?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok so I'm considering Legend Diving Vivi. I only have his BSB and LMR but from what I've seen he's a good LD even with no relics. I'm also 1 or 2 black crystals away from honing Meltdown to R3.

Here's the only thing holding me back: I don't know if he'll help me beat anything. I still have yet to beat the fire and earth magicites and I have plans to Cloud USB Retaliate the fire one and use Fujin BSB to beat earth. I'm not sure if Vivi will matter against the dark and holy magicites since I have a fully Legend Dived Raines with BSB and OSB.

Suggestions?

Well there's also 4* (and presumably 5* at some point magicites to consider!

But yeah he wouldn't really do much heavy lifting on the ones you've listed, I don't even think his doublecast would trigger against Golem since Meltdown would be doing wind damage instead of fire, but maybe it's coded as a "fire skill" either way? I can't remember how that works. Either way, ninja magic is the easiest / fastest way to tackle that by far.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Well there's also 4* (and presumably 5* at some point magicites to consider!

But yeah he wouldn't really do much heavy lifting on the ones you've listed, I don't even think his doublecast would trigger against Golem since Meltdown would be doing wind damage instead of fire, but maybe it's coded as a "fire skill" either way? I can't remember how that works. Either way, ninja magic is the easiest / fastest way to tackle that by far.

Vivi's trance just gives him a 50% chance to dualcast any Black Magic, regardless of element. So he could certainly be helpful against any of the 6 initial magicites with various chain-gas and meltdown. Why don't you see if you can beat your remaining ones first, if that's your deciding factor? If you need some extra oomph (like, you might find beating Golem with Fujin BSB alone to be a tall order), then see if you would be able to fit him in and trance him reliably.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is raines good enough to dive with just BSB?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Absolutely yes. You'll also need a copy of Memento Mori and a couple hones on Wrath.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

His LM2 gives him a 35% chance to dualcast holy or dark abilities, which includes his CMD1, which is a four hit attack on par with 4* black magic and grants instant cast on the next turn. It turns him into a machine gun.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm still not sure why it gives him a chance to dualcast holy or dark abilities since he has no native access to any holy abilities that are not also dark.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Prism posted:

I'm still not sure why it gives him a chance to dualcast holy or dark abilities since he has no native access to any holy abilities that are not also dark.

Future proofing or just thematic? He does have a holy SSB, they may just have wanted to keep to his trend

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prism posted:

he has dia and diara

Real talk though, so his commands count even if they're hitting for holy damage

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mithross posted:

Future proofing or just thematic? He does have a holy SSB, they may just have wanted to keep to his trend

I forgot that Seraphic Ray was holy.

Nihilarian posted:

he has dia and diara

Real talk though, so his commands count even if they're hitting for holy damage

I also forgot this was a thing. :ms:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Vivi's kind of silly:

It also helps that Ninjas are stupid. Edge gets to USB against Liquid Flame, and still gets brought to Golem & Sealion because Raging Storm and Fire Version of Raging Storm are fair.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i thought multi-element abilities counted as hitting for every element, only it just takes the best damage payout from said elements.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i thought multi-element abilities counted as hitting for every element, only it just takes the best damage payout from said elements.

They do for the purposes of mastery conditions, but not for legend materia bonuses.

Papalymo won’t doublecast meltdown if it’s hitting an earth weakness, for example.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Every element also counts for contributing to chains, I believe, though if the element of the chain isn't the best choice for damage then you're probably doing something wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

way to go steve posted:

They do for the purposes of mastery conditions, but not for legend materia bonuses.

Papalymo won’t doublecast meltdown if it’s hitting an earth weakness, for example.

This is especially fun when there's a mastery condition for NOT hitting a specific element. If you have a mastery condition to not use fire attacks, you can't use meltdown even if it does earth damage.

On an unrelated note, today I learned that Yuna can dualcast her BSB2 CMD1, meaning that she'll summon and then unsummon Valefor in a single turn. This can be either really good or really bad depending on your situation.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And Raines' LM2 would allow him to summon something like Hope's BSB(s) and dualcast their commands, although I don't know why you'd ever do that instead of using Raines' own BSB, or why you'd legend dive him without his BSB.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

And Raines' LM2 would allow him to summon something like Hope's BSB(s) and dualcast their commands, although I don't know why you'd ever do that instead of using Raines' own BSB, or why you'd legend dive him without his BSB.

That's why I said native. I thought about that one! Just not the rest of it apparently.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i kind of hate how they still only allow you to sort by black magic, white magic, summoning, and then lump physical (combat, support, and celerity) together and then everything from there until series end is just 'other'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd like to be able to filter by status effect or element. "what do I have that can blind for this one guy vulnerable to it" and such.

• Locked thread