Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol 350k wang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WindyMan posted:

The DeltaWing was a cool and good car. Anyone that disagrees with this is a bad and wrong person.

The DeltaWing was a cool and good idea. It was a terrible car that needed like a decade to work out the kinks in it's execution.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I miss the stupid front engine Nissan

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember when they were trying to sell the DeltaWing as the new IndyCar chassis

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It stank and looked dumb

Hey look, a bad and wrong person

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Norns posted:

That thing was a trip hazard!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Same

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

:agreed:

:rip: DW gone too soon

I thought I was in the NASCAR thread for a second...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

The DeltaWing was a cool and good car. Anyone that disagrees with this is a bad and wrong person.

It looked like this: :dong:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That thing was an embarrassment and it probably ruined any credibility the GT-R badge had.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

That thing was an embarrassment and it probably ruined any credibility the GT-R badge had.

The project was overly ambitious. The design was different, because they needed to do something entirely different; the problem was they needed another 12 months of testing before even sniffing a real race, but instead got maaaaaybe three?

It never to my knowledge ran with the hybrid system, and beyond that had the kind of teething problems that usually get sorted by thousands of miles of running. But that never happened before they were missing race entries and then limping through Le Mans.

I’m sure we’ll get more of the story in a year or two, since Darren Cox has resurfaced. But it was pretty crazy as a gamble and backfired.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Whoever decided to make a front-wheel drive front engine prototype to compete against rationally designed other cars should be blacklisted for life from motorsport.

The Delta Wing was also super retarded, too and it was garbage.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Delta Wing was cool, not surprised a bunch of euros are terrified by a large penis.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm Canadian, ese.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Now, delta wing configurations for planes... those are fuckin' awesome. Concorde owns.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Now, delta wing configurations for planes... those are fuckin' awesome. Concorde owns.

We are in Concorde Agreement

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

It looked like this: :dong:

I'll have you know that penises are cool and good.

As if you'd know!!!!!!!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Whoever decided to make a front-wheel drive front engine prototype to compete against rationally designed other cars should be blacklisted for life from motorsport.

Two reasons they went that direction according to interviews at the time:

-Audi, Toyota, Porsche, etc had spent years developing and perfecting the MR sports prototype; they felt they had to be unique, and wanted that as well.

-The way the rules were written, there’s more capability for underbody aero if you are front-engined versus mid. With much more downforce from the underbody, you can be clean on top, and maximize top speed at Le Mans. As well, the design and production work was done by guys at AAR who had experience with underbody monsters like that AAR Eagle Mk III.

I’m not saying it was the correct route. I think they were brave (if stupid) for trying something new. But they didn’t develop it in secret for two years like Porsche; it was public almost as soon as they were doing initial shakedowns, never mind extensive testing. They needed at least another year of testing that they never received.

Hell, look at the old Panoz prototypes for proof you can do something different and succeed. Or at least not be embarrassing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm Canadian, ese.

Canada IS europe, ain't you ever looked at a map???

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

Two reasons they went that direction according to interviews at the time:

-Audi, Toyota, Porsche, etc had spent years developing and perfecting the MR sports prototype; they felt they had to be unique, and wanted that as well.

-The way the rules were written, there’s more capability for underbody aero if you are front-engined versus mid. With much more downforce from the underbody, you can be clean on top, and maximize top speed at Le Mans. As well, the design and production work was done by guys at AAR who had experience with underbody monsters like that AAR Eagle Mk III.

I’m not saying it was the correct route. I think they were brave (if stupid) for trying something new. But they didn’t develop it in secret for two years like Porsche; it was public almost as soon as they were doing initial shakedowns, never mind extensive testing. They needed at least another year of testing that they never received.

Hell, look at the old Panoz prototypes for proof you can do something different and succeed. Or at least not be embarrassing.

I don't disagree with their reasoning but it probably would've been less embarrassing if they hadn't constantly claimed to have discovered the true secret to unstoppable downforce and that all the other teams were making GBS threads themselves at the thought of the mighty Nissan and it's certain victory at Le Mans in the first year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It reminded me of the time Reynard said BAR would win it's first ever F1 race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

I don't disagree with their reasoning but it probably would've been less embarrassing if they hadn't constantly claimed to have discovered the true secret to unstoppable downforce and that all the other teams were making GBS threads themselves at the thought of the mighty Nissan and it's certain victory at Le Mans in the first year.

Their marketing plan and/or execs did the racing guys absolutely zero favors.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

It reminded me of the time Reynard said BAR would win it's first ever F1 race.

In fairness to Reynard that was basically a chance comment IIRC that the press blew up

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The DeltaWing looked stupid but most of it's offs were nobody else being able to see the thing and thus running it over. I miss it, regardless.

The FWD Nissan def needed a year of testing to be worth a poo poo and they should've tried it at Sebring first (I don't remember if the ACO was being extra stupid about prototypes or rules in general that year or not).

wicka posted:

We are in Concorde Agreement

:discourse:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oC8goRJHis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Nissan was bad but nothing will ever be a bigger disaster than the AMR-One.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In fairness to Reynard that was basically a chance comment IIRC that the press blew up

Ah. As and aside I hate the BAR 01 and I hold it responsible for grenading his entire company.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
See also, T97/00 (although Birrane brought Lola back from the dead).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ah. As and aside I hate the BAR 01 and I hold it responsible for grenading his entire company.

IIRC he made a throwaway quote about how Reynard had won their first F3000 and first CART races (which was true) and the press ran with it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also first FF race, and I think F3 race as well. I miss Reynard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pretty sure the old mechanic dude at the kart track has a Reynard Formula Ford.

Isn't there still some rump organisation left for parts support?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure but there is this;

http://www.ralt.co.uk/Main.htm

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wirth1000 posted:

The Delta Wing was also super retarded, too and it was garbage.

Would it surprise you to know that they were designed by the same guy?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

The DeltaWing looked stupid but most of it's offs were nobody else being able to see the thing and thus running it over. I miss it, regardless.

The FWD Nissan def needed a year of testing to be worth a poo poo and they should've tried it at Sebring first (I don't remember if the ACO was being extra stupid about prototypes or rules in general that year or not).

Sebring at that time was either handicapped LMP2s or the ol proto-turtle Daytona Prototypes. There’s no way it would’ve been eligible. Moreover, that “we’ll try it before Le Mans” trial was supposed to be Silverstone and Spa in the WEC, but, welp.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

God, Daytona Prototypes were piss ugly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wasn't the Nissan actually 4wd, but it was the always broken hybrid system that was supposed to drive the rears?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RIP

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dudley posted:

Wasn't the Nissan actually 4wd, but it was the always broken hybrid system that was supposed to drive the rears?

Yeah, it was a 75% front bias on it though. An Aussie I follow on YouTube did a good video on it.
https://youtu.be/G6E9P3bEaTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

Would it surprise you to know that they were designed by the same guy?

loving lol

• Locked thread