Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

The WWF was the rear end end of Dusty's career, it's OK to not be that impressed.

I got to see what had to be one of Dusty's final matches in late 1994. He and Dustin did some cage matches against Bunkhouse Buck and Dick Slater on WCW house shows. I can't remember if it was any good or not.

Funny, I recently watched a 1970 Detroit match with Rhodes and Dick Murdoch teaming. Even young Dusty looked out of shape, though he shows a bit more athleticism. The match has a hell of a finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

^^^ Agreed, although Cody is better than both

I don't care how good a promo you are, if you're a wrestler than at some point you're going to have to step between the ropes and wrestle and when that comes I expect a minimal level of ability in the ring. I don't need to be blown away but you've got to be at least Randy Orton-level. You might have noticed this from my comments on Hulk, Hacksaw and Demolition to name the most obvious ones. And from what I've seen, Dusty hasn't got it.

I just want to say that, as someone who also prefers Good Wrestlers to Charismatic Wrestlers, I was actually impressed by Dusty's workrate when I first saw some matches from his prime. This... This wasn't his prime tho.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think Dusty vs a very, very young (and less roided up)Luger from 1987 does a great job of showing off just how over Dusty was. WWE today would kill for these pops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Y_pQb0EjM

I hope his upcoming work is enough to sway you a bit Rarity.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:stare: The state of Teddy Long's hair

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randaconda posted:

You can't judge wrestling from a different era by the standards of today, especially since every territory's fans expected different things.

To a certain extent you're right. I can totally see why Dusty was so popular in his day. However, I've been clear from the start that I really struggle with 80s wrestling and this effects how I personally see a lot of stars from that era. I realise that my "Dusty bad" comment was a bit too much of an objective write-off when the feeling I was expressing was that I'm going to struggle to engage with him as a wrestler. But that doesn't stop other people from being big fans, of course. This kind of variance of interest is what makes life interesting :)

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, Dusty is kinda like The Rock (and this is my Hot Take) in that neither were above 'pretty good' in the ring, but their character, charisma and promos were good enough to make up for it.

The Rock's wrestling ability wasn't the best but he still managed to put on some really amazing matches. If Dusty can pull something like the Iron Man match out then I'll change my tune.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

To a certain extent you're right. I can totally see why Dusty was so popular in his day. However, I've been clear from the start that I really struggle with 80s wrestling and this effects how I personally see a lot of stars from that era. I realise that my "Dusty bad" comment was a bit too much of an objective write-off when the feeling I was expressing was that I'm going to struggle to engage with him as a wrestler. But that doesn't stop other people from being big fans, of course. This kind of variance of interest is what makes life interesting :)

The Rock's wrestling ability wasn't the best but he still managed to put on some really amazing matches. If Dusty can pull something like the Iron Man match out then I'll change my tune.

Dusty had some good matches in his younger years, especially as a heel. (Dusty as a heel seems so strange to me)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randaconda posted:

(Dusty as a heel seems so strange to me)

That I can agree with, I don't see how that works at all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My first exposure to Dusty Rhodes as a kid was when he came in to WWF with those "Common Man" vignettes. Even knowing nothing about him or his NWA history, even with the intentionally lovely gimmick foisted on him by a vengeful McMahon, his charisma just instantly shone through and he almost immediately became a favorite of mine.

The sound of his theme basically was a signal to Lil' Jerusalem that a lot of fun was about to be had :shobon:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKZ-W5pUXE&t=15s :smithcloud:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

Dusty did more hour long matches in his day than any of the guys today.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, you couldn't be a top star anywhere and not work an hour. (and twice on Sundays, if you were the Nature Boy)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There's a reason Dusty was head of promos at NXT instead of ring work.

Supposedly there's a variant Dusty action figure from the late 80's/early 90's WWF toy line that was the most valuable. Those toys helped cement my love for wrestling as a kid. I'd sit in front of the tv with my ring and wrestlers while watching Saturday Nights Main Event or whatever VHS I talked my parents into renting. Early Survivor Series and Royal Rumbles were my favorite.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

“Did you make the sign for the show tonight?” “poo poo, no! Quick, get me a cardboard box and a Sharpie!”

Remember to check out Survivor Series, folks! Invite the WWF into your homes for Thanksgiving and hope the Bushwhackers don't eat all the turkey!

Time for another trip to Zombie Mean Gene who is now joined by Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan. I'm happy to see Rude has held onto the Intercontinental title and even happier to see he's indeed looking at a rematch with the Ultimate Warrior tonight. Apparently, Warrior has promised to regain the title but Rude says that promises are made to be broken, just like “arms, legs, heads and hearts”. That's such a great line. Heenan adds that another made to be broken are rules and tomorrow Warrior's not going to need any face paint because he'll already have a blue eye and a black eye. Really good promo from this pair, now I'm even more hyped up.

The Rockers and Tito Santana vs. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers and Rick Martel w/ Jimmy Hart and Slick

Oh.

gently caress.

Yes.

Oh my god, I popped so hard when I realised who was going to be in this match. You know just a short while ago about tag team division dream matches? The other one in particular that I was dying to see was the Rockers against the Rougeaus. Then you add in Tito and Martel who are both solid or better and who's feud I surprisingly care a lot about and this match right here is loving money. This should be amazing and I'm going to be very disappointed if its not.

The Rockers and Tito come out first and while as normal the Rockers look like they're clothes were designed by a blind fashion student that's not the case for Tito. No, he's wearing merch! This is officially the first case of a wrestler shilling their T-shirt to the fans. Apart from Hulk I guess but he's a special case. Then the best WWF theme of the current age hits and the Rougeaus walk out with Martel. Jacques is singing along to the theme, which is so cool. They know they're onto a winner with this one.

SIGN OF THE NIGHT

There's something inherently charming in insulting someone by comparing them to a pasta sauce

Now I've briefly touched on the Rougeaus banking on gay panic before but they've really taken it to another level now. While they're milling around getting ready for the bell Raymond kisses Jimmy on the cheek. I'm really conflicted about this cause on the one hand I hate the whole playing to homophobia for heel heat thing but on the other I really admire how subtle they're being about it. Plus when Jacques then slaps Martel's butt it's legit hilarious. Hahaha.

The bell rings and we start with Tito and Jacques, who offers his hand in a gesture of good sportsmanship. However, Tito point blank refuses and Jacques looks really upset. Aww. Things break down pretty much straight away as the Rockers hit a double hiptoss on Jacques and then whip Tito into a crossbody that takes out Raymond and Martel. gently caress yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. Jacques fakes a second rope crossbody but then when he does jump off he flies right into a punch to the dick from Marty. Dear god, that scream. Jacques sells it like death.

Somehow all my favourite guys end up being the best at selling dickshots

Martel tags in for the first time and I get my first chance to see his character. Holy poo poo, this guy is the smuggest rear end in a top hat, I swear. Literally every one or two hits he gets in he has to turn to the crowd to gloat for applause. drat, I never would have thought Martel had this inside him. The heels get Tito isolated and start to beat him down. There's a big pop as Tito makes a comeback against Martel but Jacques cuts it off fast. The crowd are buzzing so much for this Strike Force feud and I am as well. I'm not even sure why, I think maybe both guys are just giving it full intensity.

Case in point, Tito gets in a sunset flip on Martel and Martel kicks out pissed as hell. He instantly grabs Tito and starts choking the bejeezus out of him. Raymond locks in a Boston crab and while its applied Jacques rushes in and drops a knee right on Tito's back. Smart little move, looks nasty. Tito responds with a huge crossbody to Jacques as the crowd goes crazy. These “Tito” chants are the loudest we'll get on the show. Despite how much they cheer for them we never hear the crowd chanting “Hogan”, have you noticed that?

Jacques goes for a running knee so beautiful it would make Triple H hard but Tito ducks and Jacques nails Raymond. With both men down Tito crawls over to his corner and he gets the most mega hot tag to Shawn. He rushes in, sends Martel flying with a back body drop and jumps around the ring. Oh my god, this is Shawn right here. The same HBK that main events Wrestlemanias over fifteen years later. Everything about that Shawn is already here and its already in the package.

Quicker than a hiccup, so he is

Shawn lifts Marty up and tosses him into a splash on Martel. Marty goes for the pin but Jacques comes in with an elbow drop so Marty rolls away and Jacques lands on Martel. God drat, this is so good. The Rougeaus are whipped from opposite corners to sandwich Martel and Tito immediately follows up with the Flying Forearm. This is so good. It's so fast and snippy. The match descends into absolute chaos with far too much happening for me to describe but it ends up with Marty pinning Raymond when Martel flies in and punches him and that's enough for him to get the three count.

Oh my god, I cannot say enough good things about this match. As I mentioned when I heard the people involved I had really high expectations and they absolutely delivered. Every man was on top of his game, there wasn't a single weak link. And not only were the spots fast and fresh and fun, the storytelling was so on point and they had the crowd completely wrapped up and invested. I could happily watch this match again and again and again, it was everything I hoped it would be.

And guess what's up next? Well, here's a clue: Jesse asks Schiavone to talk us through the history package between Rude and Warrior. gently caress me, yes.

Martel's excited for it as well

Of course, we all remember the Super Posedown at the Royal Rumble where this feud really kicked into gear. And I'm sure none of you forgot Rude bumping like a boss to win the title at WM5. Since then things have only got more intense. Warrior wins a match against Haku but gets ambushed by Rude who starts to lay in a beating while Andre stands guard at the entrance to keep anyone else from getting to the ring. Unfortunately, Warrior fights back and gets the upper hand then presses Rude up and tosses him on top of Andre. Careful guys, I reckon Andre's got to be even worse at catching people than the Miz.

That's not the end of things though. Rude has a lovely lady in the ring as is his wont and he's got eyes closed while he waits for her to kiss him. However, Warrior suddenly runs and cockblocks him with an ambush of his own. Some time later, Warrior corners Heenan on the entranceway but Andre comes up from behind and lays on a beating so strong Warrior might well still be carrying injuries into this match tonight. It's been an intense feud that's been going all year long and it's helped both men look better so where does it go next?

We're about to find out but first there's just enough time for a quick trip to Zombie Mean Gene who is with a very shouty Warrior. He yells something about giant spaceships eating Andre and then tells Rude he will surrender to the gods. I think he's a Battlestar Galactica fan, maybe?

RAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rick Martel became so drat good after the heel turn. He just gets better from here

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rick Martel was having some good matches on Nitro undercards during the peak.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

DeathChicken posted:

Rick Martel became so drat good after the heel turn. He just gets better from here

I've said it many many times, but Jake Roberts feud with Martel was just magic on so many levels. Watching it now out of context, I'm perfectly aware that it's cornball as gently caress and horribly cheesy, but god was it great to watch unfold live.

Also, the thing about dusty was that he was ugly, fat, bled like a stuck pig and could talk entire arenas into frenzies. His matches just didn't even really matter, though as plenty of people said, he had some good to great ones during his heyday.

edit: although his best worked matches were brutal gorefests that generally featured dick murdoch or a funk.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platypus Farm posted:

I've said it many many times, but Jake Roberts feud with Martel was just magic on so many levels. Watching it now out of context, I'm perfectly aware that it's cornball as gently caress and horribly cheesy, but god was it great to watch unfold live.

Also, the thing about dusty was that he was ugly, fat, bled like a stuck pig and could talk entire arenas into frenzies. His matches just didn't even really matter, though as plenty of people said, he had some good to great ones during his heyday.

edit: although his best worked matches were brutal gorefests that generally featured dick murdoch or a funk.

Man, Dream and Terry Funk bled all over Florida back in the day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Intercontinental Title Match
The Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan

Seriously, I cannot say enough good things about this PPV so far. The WWF is absolutely crushing it tonight. I was so impressed and so delighted by their match at WM5 and even though I don't know if this one will have the same kind of impact considering the quality of matches so far I'm still very excited. I get to watch Rude defending a title, how can I not be excited? Rude walks out and does his normal routine and we've got Warrior on his crotch which is about what I expected but more importantly...

The ladies sure do when you're around, Rick

Warrior's music hits and he runs out full of intensity. The two men square off and Rude's already all about using his speed to dodge Warrior but then he lays in some shots and Warrior completely no-sells them. Rude tries a sunset flip but Warrior just drops down and punches him. Man, this is not looking good for Rude. He tries to stay away from Warrior but it doesn't last long. Warrior lifts him up and oh my loving god, he tosses Rude all the way over the top rope and down to the padding below.

gently caress.

Me.

Welp

So Rude's dead now. Like stick a fork in him, this guy is done. But that doesn't mean Warrior is. He grabs Rude by the hair and shoves him head first into the timekeeper's table and then straight up flattens him with the ringbell. loving HELL! And then he hits a suplex on the outside just for good measure. Oh my god, someone stop this! It's not a match, it's an execution! Warrior rolls Rude back into the ring and then flies off the top with a double axe handle. He goes for the cover and then after all of that, after the ringbell and the suplex and the padding and all of it, Rude loving kicks out.

Jesus.

And meanwhile, Heenan is stood over by the ringpost with his head in his hands and he looks completely miserable. That's some top work from the Brain there. Warrior goes back to the well but Rude catches him on the top rope and finally gets in his first bit of offence by throwing him down to the mat. Rude's clearly seen the writing on the wall for this one cause he goes straight for the Rude Awakening but Warrior powers out of it. Running out of options fast, Rude locks in a sleeper hold that drains Warrior for a moment but soon enough Warrior reverses it with a stunner. Rude gets sent into the ropes then he collides with Warrior and they fall back into the referee, sending him sprawling to the mat. Ffffffffffuck.

Rude fights back but Warrior's back to no-selling his offence. He replies with a series of clotheslines that finishes with a massive, massive powerslam. Rude's totally out of it but the ref's out cold so he can't count the pin! Oh my god, Warrior keeps rolling on with a piledriver and the ref is crawling over. He's crawling over and he's counting the pin and Rude gets his loving foot on the rope! What the gently caress. Warrior's got more in the tank though. He hits a running powerslam and then he goes for a splash but he lands ON RUDE'S KNEES!

I am marking out so hard right now

This loving match.

Now despite the mega mega beating that he's taken so far Rude still has something left in him as he hits the most disgusting, unsafe piledriver I have ever seen. He could have legit ended Warrior's career with that. But it's still only good for a two count and jesus, I feel like this match should have ended three times over by this point. Rude connects with a fist drop from the top rope for another big lengthy two count and then... what the gently caress. What the actual gently caress. Coming down from the entrance...

...it's only Roddy Piper!

So while I'm trying to work out what the gently caress Piper is doing here Rude hits ANOTHER piledriver on Warrior. He's about to go for the cover when he spots Piper and so he starts giving it the gyration taunt. Piper's not one to be mocked though so he turns around, lifts up his kilt and flashes Rude with his bare rear end. Hahaha. Rude's focus is totally gone now and he's so locked on Piper that he never sees Warrior come from behind to deliver a German suplex. Warrior follows it up with a shoulder tackle, the Press Slam and a splash to regain the Intercontinental belt.

Roddy Piper showing some bare-faced cheek

Well, god drat. This was insane. I'm just stunned. I already knew these guys could put on a hella good match and they still managed to blow my expectations out of the water. This is how you book around someone's limitations because Warrior is far from good but they covered it so well and he looked like a killer. And Rude, holy poo poo, how much more can I praise this guy before it gets boring? Not only was he completely nuts with some of the poo poo he went through but the fact that he could take all that punishment at the start and then come back to be competitive for another ten minutes makes him look like a legit contender. They got this match so, so right on every level. And also I've got to give some credit to Schiavone, he was fantastic on commentary. He sold everything like it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen and it made a great match even better. They blew WM5 out of the water.

Somewhere out in the crowd Mooney is still in with the fans. They're all hooting and hollering and cheering for Warrior and they're all ignoring Mooney which must be doing wonders for the man's self-esteem. He says that the crowd have experienced the ultimate exhilaration. Hard-hitting journalism from the Moonster here.

Zombie Mean Gene sure is earning his paycheck tonight. He's now caught up with Hennig for a few words after his victory. Hennig cuts a very quick promo about Rooster being a stepping stone that will help him go on to bigger, more perfect things. He walks off but we're not done here yet because Zombie Mean Gene catches sight of Piper coming through and here's where things get even more amazing.

So Zombie Mean Gene calls Piper over for some questions and Piper shows up with a glass of water which he lifts to his lips but then spills all over himself. God, Piper is completely off his nut here, just in case it wasn't obvious. I'm guessing this is why Piper came out of retirement, because the WWF was the only place he could get that sweet, sweet blow. He says he's going to ride in Voyager 3 and then asks what a true Scotsman wears under his kilt. He tells us the answer is shoes but to me the answer will always be a jockstrap. He describes Heenan as a eunuch and then when Zombie Mean Gene asks what Piper's going to do now he says he's going to the back to eat a garage (what?), watch some matches and he mimes a really big snort. Yes, Roddy Piper just made a blatant cocaine reference live on television. Holy poo poo. This was one of the most amazing wrestler interviews I've ever seen. I'm a bit worried about Roddy cause that much drugs can't be good for you but drat, that ruled.

Just look in that man's eyes. Piper is halfway to Jupiter here.

We're still not done yet though! Piper walks off but then who should appear but Rugged Ronnie Garvin and he's wearing a tux. Zombie Mean Gene is very impressed with Garvin's dapper attire. Garvin admits that he's been given a very special assignment for tonight's show and Zombie Mean Gene gets worried that Garvin's coming after his job. Hehehe.

However, before Garvin can clue us in on his secret job he's chased off by a furious Heenan with Rude following up right behind. First thing to say is Rude's hair is all sweaty and matted and it looks loving awesome. Rude is so pissed at Piper for getting in the way of his match and because he had it all under control and then “Piper shows his... ask Bobby!” Haha, now that's some subtle wordplay and I appreciate that. Rude vows to get his title back. Heenan wants to get the match restarted right now but he loses track of his words and Zombie Mean Gene tells him he's “babbling”. Great promo from these guys as well. I loved seeing a different side of Rude's character and I am so so down for Rude/Piper. I'm glad that even without the belt it looks like they're still treating Rude like a top-tier guy.

Just compare that hair to his normal perm, seriously

Oh man, this show's been so loving good so far. Absolutely stellar. I sure hope that nothing gets in the way of that momentum. What's that? We've got a short intermission? Oh well, that's all right. It's only a few minutes, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, Rude was amazing.

His best theme was Smooth Operator by Sade, though.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Rude and one other opponent coming up are pretty much the only two guys in the industry that ever had great chemistry with the Warrior and could bring out the very best in him.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

And also I've got to give some credit to Schiavone, he was fantastic on commentary. He sold everything like it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen and it made a great match even better.
So he sold it like it was the greatest night in the history of our sport? :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Rude hitting that ganso bomb thing on Warrior was something else. It looks nasty at first but Warrior actually hits Rude's upper legs first rather than just spiking his skull.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was it Warrior Rude knocked out with an open hand slap? I can't remember.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God, I completely forgot about it until you mentioned Piper coming down the ramp and the moment I read that my brain flashed straight back to being a kid watching on television as a coked-up Piper looks wide-eyed into the camera and bellows,"WHAT DOES A SCOTSMAN WEAR UNDER HIS KILT!?!" :neckbeard:

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Rarity posted:

then when Zombie Mean Gene asks what Piper's going to do now he says he's going to the back to eat a garage (what?)

Forget where I heard this, but ALLEGEDLY this is an 80s reference to how when new Coke came out out people hoarded old Coke typically in their garage in fear it wouldn't return. Hence, eat a garage=consume a lot of coke!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Was it Warrior Rude knocked out with an open hand slap? I can't remember.

Yup. Among his other talents, Rude was not to be hosed with in a shoot and everyone knew it (except Warrior apparently).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Yup. Among his other talents, Rude was not to be hosed with in a shoot and everyone knew it (except Warrior apparently).

I heard a story where he started talking poo poo to Erik Watts while in early 90s WCW, and Watts humiliated him by taking him down.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I heard a story where he started talking poo poo to Erik Watts while in early 90s WCW, and Watts humiliated him by taking him down.

was this story told to you by Erik Watts

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah. He also was apparently a pretty nice guy, family man and all that, just somebody you did not want to gently caress with.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Randaconda posted:

Yeah. He also was apparently a pretty nice guy, family man and all that, just somebody you did not want to gently caress with.

I don't remember who it was, I think it was either steve austin or jake...maybe it was jake. Anyway, he was talking about how Rude would go to absurd lengths to go home for days off instead of just hanging around on the road drinking and partying.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Austin was apparently the guy he rode while starting out in the business. He tells a bunch of stories about Rude on his podcast, like making fun of Rude for always skipping leg day. "It's an upper body business, Steve!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We're back from intermission! I hope you all enjoyed your pissbreak/booze refill/masturbation but don't take too long to savour it because we are jumping right back into the thick of things with a recap video of our main event feud. So as you may remember from WM5 Hulk Hogan has gone and filmed a movie called No Holds Barred and in that movie there is a very angry screamy man. Well, this man is called Zeus and according to “insider” reports there's serious tension between Hulk and Zeus on the set. Then one day Zeus just shows up in the middle of a WWF show to confront Hulk while wearing some wicked shoulderpads.

Zeus would later design gear for World of Warcraft

Later, Randy Savage and Sensational Sherri (who have become all buddy-buddy) bring in Zeus to help them out in a challenge to Hulk and his favourite buddy, Brutus Beefcake. They accept the challenge with confidence but it doesn't last very long. During a match Zeus attacks Brutus but when Hulk makes the save he's impervious to harm. I'm not sure his brain has enough functioning to register harm, that's the problem. Zeus slaps Hulk in a bearhug and Savage tries to clip Hulk's hair. Why bother, Savage? Nature's doing a fine job of that already. Brutus makes the save and Hulk nails Zeus with a chair but he doesn't even flinch. Savage and Sherri try to hold Zeus back. And that's your build. It's hardly an explosion of Mega Powers, is it?

Oh yeah, I suppose we should cover this at some point and this is as good a time as any.

If I sound downbeat about our Tim Gunn moment this show it's because I am. Jesse's outfit is very underwhelming here. Apart from the gold “JESSE” bandanna which doesn't impress me because he wore it last time the rest of his outfit is practically normal. It's a camo shirt and jeans. I know people who wear crazier poo poo than that. What's the matter, Jesse? Are you not feeling it without Gino? Has Schiavone sucked out your joie de vivre?

I'm not sure I want Schiavone's commentary if it means this is my Jesse

The Twin Towers and Andre the Giant w/ Slick and Bobby Heenan vs. Demolition and Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Oh, you've got to be loving kidding me. I don't know how they've done but somehow they've managed to distil the six worst guys on the roster and put them all in a match together. What the gently caress did I do to deserve this? And yes, I'm including Andre in that list. I know I've alluded to it a bit but I don't think I've fully been clear about this. Andre is a huge guy and an incredible person but when he steps between the ropes he is total dogshit. I'm reminded of watching Hulk in the final days of WCW, a hasbeen who's already a few years past retirement but can't accept it's time to go while the next generation outperforms him night after night. That's Andre here. You can't do anything with him although to be fair you can't do much with any of the guys in this match. All we need is Greg Valentine to be the guest referee and this would be complete.

The heels make their way out first, a process that takes a fair length of time. They're announced to have weighed in at 1300lbs, jesus. That's a whole lotta flab right there. Fun fact, knowledge fans: that's the equivalent of 7.5 Rarities. The faces follow them out, Hacksaw still wearing his crown and robe. Ok, so question. What happened to King Haku? Don't get me wrong, this isn't a complaint. That gimmick killed Haku while it's easily the best thing Hacksaw's done by a mile so it's a mighty improvement on all fronts. I just get confused when things randomly swap around like this with zero explanation. Yes, I'm saying what I want here is a full breakdown of the WWF's monarchical family tree.

MOST INCORRECT PREDICTION

Oh geez

Can I get away with a comedic picture of the future here? I don't think I can

The faces get to the ring and take off their masks to reveal that Hacksaw has also on the facepaint fun except rather than looking like a KISS groupie he's just gone and painted the American flag all over his face. Jesse says that he's disrespecting the flag by painting it all over his ugly mug. Personally I'd say he's disrespecting it by using it as a cheap prop to gain popularity and sympathy to cover his own internal deficiencies as an entertainer thereby cheapening its cultural and political heritage, Jesse. But sure, whatever works for you.

Man, you can tell I'm stalling with this one can't you? But there's no more evading it, we have to face reality. The bell rings and the match begins. Now normally this is the part where I talk you through the highlights of the action and run through the bullet points of the storytelling. I can't do that here because there isn't any. Instead imagine the sound of thirty cat ghosts being strangled by a blind violinist while somewhere in the background a baby seal gets punched in the face and the baby seal is you. That should about cover it.

Bossman's pits are caked in sweat, it's disgusting

With that delightful image embedded in our heads let's go right to the finish. It's all right, you didn't miss anything. Akeem misses an avalanche so Smash comes in and hands out body slams to the Towers. Andre takes him out and the match breaks down. Akeem connects with a second rope splash, which to his credit he lands without pussying out, but Hacksaw nails him with the 2x4 behind the ref's back and the good guys win.

Let's never speak of this again. Oh hey, Survivor Series is coming up again soon! Remember that time that Rick Rude bared his rear end to the world? That was the best.

In the back Zombie Mean Gene's night is far from over as he's now catching up with Ted DiBiase and Virgil. DiBiase's all prepped for his match with Superfly Jimmy Snuka and says that he's the wealthiest and the best wrestler on the roster, it's all the standard DiBiase fare. He adds that Snuka's going to end up a statistic just like Jake “The Snake” Roberts. And yes, there is indeed no Jake on tonight's show. I'm assuming that he saw how badly he got booked against Andre and curled up on the floor to die in shame.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Ted DiBiase: “You're still nothing but a primitive native eating coconuts and bananas”

It's 1989, Ted! They've got microwaves in Fiji!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Duggan defeated Haku for the crown and King gimmick on WWF Superstars

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

KungFu Grip posted:

Duggan defeated Haku for the crown and King gimmick on WWF Superstars

That... was a lot simpler an explaination than I expected

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

That... was a lot simpler an explaination than I expected

Believe it or not, there was a time when the explanation for most things in wrestling was 'They beat the other guy up'.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Dunno if you're aware but they also made a PPV to shill No Holds Barred.

It was probably not good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Hey, you got a match and a movie out of it!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Numero6 posted:

I am very very aware :ohdear:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Zeus here would of course go on to have a famous acting career, with such roles as "That guy who got knocked the gently caress out in Friday" and "That prisoner on the boat in Dark Knight". WWF had the Rock here, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Zeus here would of course go on to have a famous acting career, with such roles as "That guy who got knocked the gently caress out in Friday" and "That prisoner on the boat in Dark Knight". WWF had the Rock here, man

Tiny Lister had himself a life, man.