Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
holy poo poo i forgot how much i hate these cnn talking head panels after elections.

and dear god it's chris cilliza get him away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Just took a double dose of Klonopin. Gonna be a good night.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I did no volunteering and donated no money, just voted, but I promise when Comstock's time comes I will be ready

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I feel like the takeaway from the Northam campaign ought to be "don't let Republican attacks get under your skin so much that you say stupid poo poo a week out." He should've walked into today's election with a ten point lead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

anyone know anything about the ballot initiative in maine or the special in Washington?

All 2 people I know who live in Dhingra's district have been double checked to make sure they voted (they did)

Washington always has slow-rear end results because it's 100% mail-in voting and the ballot only has to be postmarked by election day, not received by election day

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
1st precinct in and it's 66% Gillespie, 33% Northam.

Hail Hyra only got 2 votes.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I did no volunteering and donated no money, just voted, but I promise when Comstock's time comes I will be ready

I am camping out in your district next year. :)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like the takeaway from the Northam campaign ought to be "don't let Republican attacks get under your skin so much that you say stupid poo poo a week out." He should've walked into today's election with a ten point lead.

A Dem is not going to win Virginia by 10 points right now no matter how awesome they are. Maybe in 6 years.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

axeil posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
YES
EYSYYEYSY
SEYRYE
SYYES YES YES YES

gently caress YES WOOHOOOO

I'm stupid why is this good?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A Dem is not going to win Virginia by 10 points right now no matter how awesome they are. Maybe in 6 years.

Alright I'll cop to exaggerating but this fucker had a seven point lead at one point. :argh:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Seamlessly stolen bit of wisdom:

Reading exit polls is like hooking up with your ex. You know you shouldn't, you really want to, and if you do you will definitely regret it immediately.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

nachos posted:

I'm stupid why is this good?

Too Close to Call = Exit Polls are really close, we have no idea
Too Early to Call = Exit Polls had a clear winner, we just need to confirm with results that they're right.

Basically if a race is too early to call it most likely means the results matched the polling.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Perriello would have won by 10

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What a loving douchebag that guy is. People are justly on edge and that's just cruel.

He built suspense for it too. What a jackass.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I work with a senior state Democrat and she was happy about internal polls today, so...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

axeil posted:

Too Close to Call = Polls are really close, we have no idea
Too Early to Call = Polls had a clear winner, we just need to confirm with results that they're right.

Basically if a race is too early to call it most likely means the results matched the polling.

I'm gonna hold off on that assumption for a bit to be honest. They could be just mixing up the terms if they even know there is a difference.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
There's something so stupid about Ralph Northam's face, maybe he looks like a teacher from childhood that I hated or something, but I can't stand seeing photos of him. Gillespie has ZERO chin and jaw, how can a man with testosterone levels that low win a GOP primary

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ague Proof posted:

It was a solid "A" troll. I highly approve.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Yeah if he just led off with the JEB! map I'd have gotten a decent chuckle. Because its a funny joke.

The cruelty wasn't in the punchline it was in the stringing out of extremely stressed out people. So gently caress him.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

axeil posted:

1st precinct in and it's 66% Gillespie, 33% Northam.

Hail Hyra only got 2 votes.

RIP, good try everyone. Does the head in an oven thing work with modern ovens or what?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm gonna hold off on that assumption for a bit to be honest. They could be just mixing up the terms if they even know there is a difference.

Average Joes and Janes sure, but not an actual news organization. They know what the difference means.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Unless Warner gets elected President Northam has nowhere to go but maybe HHS Secretary. Or, I guess, being a respected Pediatrician.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nah these are terms of art that people understand and use consistently. Thats not to say it couldn’t switch to too close to call as results come in that don’t match their model, but NBC made the same characterization based on the same exits.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Unless Warner gets elected President Northam has nowhere to go but maybe HHS Secretary. Or, I guess, being a respected Pediatrician.

What?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VA Governors can't be re-elected.

Or well they can, but not in back-to-back terms.

It's dumb.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If he wins. Statewide Dems don't really have any openings for a post-Gov spot like when Republicans held both Senate seats.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

axeil posted:

VA Governors can't be re-elected.

Or well they can, but not in back-to-back terms.

It's dumb.

Terry Mac 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Petr posted:

RIP, good try everyone. Does the head in an oven thing work with modern ovens or what?

the first precincts to report are the republican-leaning ones

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Petr posted:

You can't possibly be this stupid

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

If he wins. Statewide Dems don't really have any openings for a post-Gov spot like when Republicans held both Senate seats.

Oh I read your post as "Unless Warren gets elected, President Northam..." and thought you were having a stroke or something.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

the first precincts to report are the republican-leaning ones

To note, a map of the 2016 result to help everyone calibrate:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/928054264081108993

Harry Enten 7:19 PM

It’s very early, but I’m looking at three counties where Trump did well and have some very early results. If we use the 2016 presidential election as a baseline, Northam is doing well enough in those three counties to win statewide. But let’s wait for more results

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

HARRY ENTEN 7:19 PM

It’s very early, but I’m looking at three counties where Trump did well and have some very early results. If we use the 2016 presidential election as a baseline, Northam is doing well enough in those three counties to win statewide. But let’s wait for more results

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
:derp: :derp: :derp:

:derp: :derp: :derp:

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

this also doesn't account for turnout differentials which will be more apparent in fairfax/richmond/tidewater

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh no, clifford hyra is losing!!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hahahahahahashaha the needled of doom has broken.

weirdly the normal NYTimnes results page works fine.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/virginia-general-elections

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Hyra didn't run a campaign straight up aping the Hail Hydra poo poo then he deserves to lose in obscurity.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
first reported lead, 7:24 PM EST

https://www.vpap.org/

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

interestingly northam is running AHEAD of fairfax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dont gently caress up virginia!