Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
David Wasserman 8:31 PM

Is Virginia’s House Of Delegates In Play?

I didn’t think I’d be saying this at 8:30 p.m., but Virginia has been swept up in such a Democratic tidal wave that Democrats may have a legitimate chance to win the 17 seats they need to pick up the House of Delegates.

By my quick, rough count, Democrats have already picked up 11 seats (districts 2, 10, 13, 31, 32, 42, 50, 51, 67, 72, 72) and they still have a chance in 13 more. They’ve already pulled off a few upsets, unseating GOP incumbents in the outer suburbs of Northern Virginia like Dels. Jackson Miller, Rich Anderson and Randy Minchew. But they’ve also picked up two seats in suburban Richmond and have a chance at a third. They’re also knocking on the door in several Hampton Roads districts. This is just a massive night for Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Congrats to Virginia. I've since moved out of state, but I was just happy to keep the Cooch out of the governor's mansion last time (then T-Mac turned out to be pretty awesome, for some reason?). This is great to see.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Got the booze for a defeat binge, but we won.

So ... I'll use it for a celebratory binge.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fancy, the first time I saw you post was in TFF, back when the Bills and the Lions had their 5-0 start and you were proudly declaring that there was only one team in New York. Of course, the Bills collapsed, and you've been through a lot since then. But you're a goddamn inspiration, and I want you to soak up this victory as much as you can. You worked so loving hard for this, and it paid off in spades.

God fuckin' bless you, Fancy rear end Ho.

That's Fancy rear end Ho?

God bless that man

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracaidas posted:

Early returns have the Medicaid expansion outrunning Hillary in Maine. Outside of the mindboggling insanity of

Maine's expansion is the last open question of the evening. WA-Sen will likely be a few days out before any call is made.

My memory is hazy but I think intermediate vote counts do get reported in WA but it isn't by precinct or anything. Anything but a D blowout seems unlikely so we'll probably know tonight

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If the Dems actually take over the House of Delegates there's going to be a flurry of garbage bills from the lame ducks tomorrow.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Maine's expansion is the last open question of the evening. WA-Sen will likely be a few days out before any call is made.

No..

There is another...

Lightning Knight posted:

If the Dems actually take over the House of Delegates there's going to be a flurry of garbage bills from the lame ducks tomorrow.

And T-mac will veto 'em all :c00l:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Got the booze for a defeat binge, but we won.

So ... I'll use it for a celebratory binge.

We didn't win.

We won BIGLY.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/928073671280857093

anotha one

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Democrazy posted:

God bless that man

Wait, really?

Holy poo poo, you turned from a nutso TFF effort poster into a D&D legend

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/928074028291641344

Umm, wow

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

T-Mac gonna laugh heartily as he vetoes all of them.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Democrazy posted:

God bless that man

Greetings.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

axeil posted:

No..

There is another...

Sorry, that's what I meant by quoting Fancy :getin:

cheetah7071 posted:

My memory is hazy but I think intermediate vote counts do get reported in WA but it isn't by precinct or anything. Anything but a D blowout seems unlikely so we'll probably know tonight

I'd be surprised if we get a call, but then, tonight's been all about surprising me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PM me for a forums upgrade of your choice.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"Guns voter" is basically shorthand for "huntin' shootin' good ol'boy". Identity politics works oddly in Northam's favor here, him being a Southerner vs the obvious carpetbagging Gillespie.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This one is funny because his opponent accused him of being a "carpetbagger" because he comes from Roanoke, which is ~30 minutes away.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

empty whippet box posted:

Going from R supermajority to D majority seems like it must be some kind of record. I'm stoked about Northam but holy gently caress that house of delegate rout.

Important PSA: D majority has not actually happened yet and very well may not happen. Don't move the goalposts for joy too far.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Petr posted:

Important PSA: D majority has not actually happened yet and very well may not happen. Don't move the goalposts for joy too far.

going from a supermajority to a razor-thin majority is still pretty close to "rout" territory if it was unexpected

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Petr posted:

Nah, joy is locked in. I'm just seeing how high this rocket ship can fly

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

gotta figure that one little red blob goes blue given the incumbent is only up 3 points with only half the vote in.

edit: looking closer nowt the incumbent is up 50.37-49.63. 70% of the vote in.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tim Raines IRL posted:

going from a supermajority to a razor-thin majority is still pretty close to "rout" territory if it was unexpected

And in any case it'll make Governor Northam's job easier.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/928075089525997568

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I see a lot of white suburbanites who have been really freaked out about all the mass shootings, so I wonder how many of the people whose most important issue was "guns" were actually in favor of gun control? Do we know how the questions were worded?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/928074747316928513?s=17

Drink! (Ginger Ale for you fancy)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

hahah Trump is throwing Gillespie under the bus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracaidas posted:

I'd be surprised if we get a call, but then, tonight's been all about surprising me.

The WA secretary of state won't officially call the election for a few more days but Dhingra won the primary by 11 points and was polling well so the chance early results aren't conclusive is low (though obviously not zero)

I could be misremembering when early results come in though and it might be tomorrow or later but I think it's tonight

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

On the ground footage of Virginia Democrats.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

And in any case it'll make Governor Northam's job easier.

here's a crazy thought.

the VA Senate is currently 21-19 in the GOP's favor. All the dems need for full control if they win the House is a single retirement or party flip.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Definitely. I just don't want people waving the :matters: flag if we don't get a majority.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yo, Fancy, Axeil and all other VA goons, loving congrats and enjoy this win, it was a huge one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Petr posted:

This is true, but 24 hours ago, everyone was certain that this was going to be a 3-4 percent win for Northam at best. Hell, I had heard that the last internal poll from the Northam campaign had him at 2% above Gillispie, so this evening has been incredibly :stare: in all the best possible ways.

It's a bloodbath, majority or not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is some low energy poo poo.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hahahaha

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

axeil posted:

here's a crazy thought.

the VA Senate is currently 21-19 in the GOP's favor. All the dems need for full control if they win the House is a single retirement or party flip.

It's a shame that's never happened before!

:getin::v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Yo, Fancy, Axeil and all other VA goons, loving congrats and enjoy this win, it was a huge one.

Seconding this. I know me and Fancy did some arguing, but I'm glad y'all's work kept that piece of poo poo Gillespie out :)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

:cool::hf::cool:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
David Wasserman 8:42 PM

This just in: Democrat Chris Hurst has unseated Republican Delegate Joseph Yost in Blacksburg’s District 12. Hurst is a former news anchor whose girlfriend, reporter Alison Parker, was killed on live television in 2015. He ran with the support of gun control groups. By my count, this brings Democrats’ pickups to 12 seats. They need five more for control of the House of Delegates.

Oh wow I didn't know that's who Hurst was. :smith:

WampaLord posted:

Thanks Wampa!

I hope we've lit a little candle of hope for the rest of the country tonight.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Dems looking to pick up 19 right now in the Virginia House if voting stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

axeil posted:

David Wasserman 8:42 PM

This just in: Democrat Chris Hurst has unseated Republican Delegate Joseph Yost in Blacksburg’s District 12. Hurst is a former news anchor whose girlfriend, reporter Alison Parker, was killed on live television in 2015. He ran with the support of gun control groups. By my count, this brings Democrats’ pickups to 12 seats. They need five more for control of the House of Delegates.

Oh wow I didn't know that's who Hurst was. :smith:

Chris Hurst could be a senator some day. Impressive guy. He's like 30 or 31.

• Locked thread