Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seven minutes of clevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Seven minutes in Clevin :heysexy:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Seven minutes about Clevin
Seven minutes besides Clevin
Seven minutes inside Clevin
Seven minutes since Clevin
Seven minutes above Clevin
Seven minutes across Clevin
Seven Clevins as national heritage
Seven minutes after Clevin
Seven minutes against Clevin
Seven minutes along Clevin
Seven minutes among Clevin
Seven minutes around Clevin
Seven minutes at Clevin
Seven minutes before Clevin
Seven minutes behind Clevin
Seven minutes vs. Clevin sense
Seven minutes beneath Clevin
Seven minutes beside Clevin
Seven minutes between Clevin
Seven minutes beyond Clevin
Seven minutes but Clevin
Seven minutes by Clevin
Seven minutes concerning Clevin
Seven minutes despite Clevin
Seven minutes Clevining with AIDS

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Seven minutes about Clevin
Seven minutes besides Clevin
Seven minutes inside Clevin
Seven minutes since Clevin
Seven minutes above Clevin
Seven minutes across Clevin
Seven Clevins as national heritage
Seven minutes after Clevin
Seven minutes against Clevin
Seven minutes along Clevin
Seven minutes among Clevin
Seven minutes around Clevin
Seven minutes at Clevin
Seven minutes before Clevin
Seven minutes behind Clevin
Seven minutes vs. Clevin sense
Seven minutes beneath Clevin
Seven minutes beside Clevin
Seven minutes between Clevin
Seven minutes beyond Clevin
Seven minutes but Clevin
Seven minutes by Clevin
Seven minutes concerning Clevin
Seven minutes despite Clevin
Seven minutes Clevining with AIDS

HIGH SCORE!!! Enter your initials

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Okay it still bugs me a bit that she'd remain invulnerable in someone else's mindscape, but then again this is the most dull and uninteresting plunge into someone's psyche since Dominic Deegan. Like, what exactly is the danger here? That she'll be unable to punch everything to death before Patrick's brain finally breaks and he becomes a vegetable? Is that only a big deal because she wants all the details on that mystery illuminati before it happens, or does she still care about Patrick? The stakes in this are so vague and uninteresting.

Why do we even care about the illuminati? Sure, they made it so that no metahuman could insta-fix every problem in the universe, except I guess they left a lot of hyper-geniuses, mind-controllers, and mind-readers around. Heck, if Furnace had devoted himself to being a clean-burning alternative to coal in a power plant instead of being a maybe-rapist, he could have done as much good as the murdered kid that could "spontaneously create" ""energy"". Why pretend you're going to address or confront the sort of questions superheroes bring up by existing if you're going to leave gaping holes like that around?

This comic is dumb.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if Patrick's brain is supposed to be in danger because it's under some kind of assault or if he's just depressed and self-destructive and needs to get some therapy. Either way she should maybe get a doctor in on this instead of just punching a bunch of poo poo.

I don't think this comic is willing to really follow through on their illuminati claims, but at this point, it's literally the only thing it has left to compel its plot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I would have been OK with it or even pleased if Patrick had gone to live among homeless people to try to become a better human, only it hosed up his brain because the people around him were mentally ill and drug addicts. I guess they'll get to the reason he showed up looking grubby and barfing everywhere but I don't expect a whole lot based on where this seems to be going (Clevinward)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lucky Number Clevin

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I sure can't wait for the reveal that he did all this evil conspiracy thing so that Allison would mother him. Then he will come out as trans and be a "good person" from that point. Also Clevin saves him from himself (or whatever pronoun the author will feel is progressive enough at that point) at least 2 times.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if Patrick's brain is supposed to be in danger because it's under some kind of assault or if he's just depressed and self-destructive and needs to get some therapy. Either way she should maybe get a doctor in on this instead of just punching a bunch of poo poo.

I think Allison triggered a nervous breakdown by hitting him in the head with a thrown object?
That's what the, sigh, 'Anima' said was the cause of the system's collapse.
I'm reading this as, giving a powerful psychic a concussion is not a good idea, and probably will eventually kill him. I approve of this if so - but I suspect Allison is only going to be rewarded for physically assaulting her much weaker friend. Since basically every time she's done violence in this comic, while not in a superhero mask, the author is more or less in her corner.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 5, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
bad comic

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think Allison triggered a nervous breakdown by hitting him in the head with a thrown object?
I'm reading this as, giving a powerful psychic a concussion is not a good idea, and probably will eventually kill him. I approve of this if so - but I suspect Allison is only going to be rewarded for physically assaulting her much weaker friend. Since basically every time she's done violence in this comic, while not in a superhero mask, the author is more or less in her corner.

Yeah that was the main thing that popped out to me on that earlier page: it turned a petty act of violence towards a physically much weaker person into a narratively good thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh poo poo you're right, I forgot about that right after I read it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

Why do we even care about the illuminati? Sure, they made it so that no metahuman could insta-fix every problem in the universe, except I guess they left a lot of hyper-geniuses, mind-controllers, and mind-readers around. Heck, if Furnace had devoted himself to being a clean-burning alternative to coal in a power plant instead of being a maybe-rapist, he could have done as much good as the murdered kid that could "spontaneously create" ""energy"". Why pretend you're going to address or confront the sort of questions superheroes bring up by existing if you're going to leave gaping holes like that around?

This comic is dumb.

I'm going with the thing where the 'Conspiracy' just killed off the kids that could have destroyed the world had they gone nuts. Free Energy? Sounds great until he increases the global power generation by a hundred-fold whether we like it or not. Disease Whispering isn't as cool when she's telling Ebola and Mega-Aids that being airborne is rad, etc.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The conversation on this page is juuuuust barely gibberish to me.

Like, I'm pretty sure the gist is that Anima (ugh) is pushing for them to head directly to the tower, and Allison wants to retreat for now and shake the... whatever it is, I can't be arsed to remember... before they head there? But there's these random extraneous lines like "We have to get that knowledge!" that make me feel like I'm stroking out or something.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Is english this writers first language cause yeah a lot of the sentences are coming off as word salad.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's funny how Allison becomes a coward the moment she encounters someone or something she can't one-punch through a ceiling.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Patrick transitions to female, and Clevin gets himself a harem

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's intentionally very "meta" I think? Which is not good?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Axe-man posted:

Is english this writers first language cause yeah a lot of the sentences are coming off as word salad.
it's a metaphor for patrick's mental

...no, gently caress it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sfp is already such a powerful cautionary tale for how liberal centrism gives you brain cancer that I'm not surprised it's written from firsthand experience

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The conversation is easy to follow if you recall that Alison is not inside Patrick's brain to help him/her in any way. She is there solely to find out what Patrick knows about the Illuminati. She's bringing up the "knowledge" in response to Anima's plea to get to the tower to defeat Menace, but she doesn't actually care if Menace is defeated or not. It's not why she's there. This entire conflict is meaningless to her. She's hoping that by focusing on getting the conspiracy facts, the Sentinel will leave her alone (since all it wants is to protect Menace), and that she can get out of Patrick's brain, ignoring the conflict and fleeing to safety.

Of course, it won't work out that way and Alison's going to fix Patrick basically by accident, but right now they're establishing that Alison sees Patrick/Anima's desires as that of a child, unimportant next to her own.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's funny how Allison becomes a coward the moment she encounters someone or something she can't one-punch through a ceiling.

Alison's existence is literally weaponized privilege so of course she'd avoid anything that could directly challenge her.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

pospysyl posted:

The conversation is easy to follow if you recall that Alison is not inside Patrick's brain to help him/her in any way. She is there solely to find out what Patrick knows about the Illuminati. She's bringing up the "knowledge" in response to Anima's plea to get to the tower to defeat Menace, but she doesn't actually care if Menace is defeated or not. It's not why she's there. This entire conflict is meaningless to her. She's hoping that by focusing on getting the conspiracy facts, the Sentinel will leave her alone (since all it wants is to protect Menace), and that she can get out of Patrick's brain, ignoring the conflict and fleeing to safety.

Of course, it won't work out that way and Alison's going to fix Patrick basically by accident, but right now they're establishing that Alison sees Patrick/Anima's desires as that of a child, unimportant next to her own.

Wow allison is kind of a terrible person. Good thing she did one thing good... with an app. Maybe she needs two to make up for this one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Atmus posted:

I'm going with the thing where the 'Conspiracy' just killed off the kids that could have destroyed the world had they gone nuts. Free Energy? Sounds great until he increases the global power generation by a hundred-fold whether we like it or not. Disease Whispering isn't as cool when she's telling Ebola and Mega-Aids that being airborne is rad, etc.

That makes logical sense as a twist when they eventually have to explain it. I just don't get how they decided which powers were too good when they left dudes around that could still create high levels of energy, mass control people, or solve almost any crime because they can read minds. Besides "social experiment" or some other bullshit out, that is. I also don't get why they're more important to find now when there's no evidence that they've done anything since then that threatens the world instead of finding obvious ways a metahuman could use the most simple superpowers to drastically improve the world.

Right now, it only seems like Alison and Patrick care about this at all because neither of them were considered ~special~ enough to be quietly assassinated at the age of 8.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 8, 2017

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I've said it before, but given the scope that any such conspiracy would entail and the nature of Patrick's mind-taking, I can't see how he could possibly have gone for years without finding anyone attached to it.

Like, he's got sufficient access to people to be able to kidnap top physicists, but he's never been in a room with anyone even tangentially involved in a globe-spanning project to create superheros?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the more Mulligan elaborates on how Patrick's powers work, the further into a corner he's painting himself with that storyline.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Did it ever occur to Alison that her greatest enemy and known mind-reader could fabricate a conspiracy he knew would get under her skin so perfectly that she'd lose all faith in superheroing and maybe also get him a shot at dating her?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did it ever occur to Alison that her greatest enemy and known mind-reader could fabricate a conspiracy he knew would get under her skin so perfectly that she'd lose all faith in superheroing and maybe also get him a shot at dating her?

Allison is dumb as poo poo

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Nuns with Guns posted:

Right now, it only seems like Alison and Patrick care about this at all because neither of them were considered ~special~ enough to be quietly assassinated at the age of 8.

I'm glad they do cause I sure could give a gently caress less.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

The real question is whether it occurred to the author.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah the more Mulligan elaborates on how Patrick's powers work, the further into a corner he's painting himself with that storyline.

This is extremely true.

I really like the idea of Patrick's powers (specifically as enumerated in this storyline, where he has these sort of captive internal copies of everyone he's ever been near, from every distinct meeting with them) and a more interesting work of fiction could spend a lot of time on how weird his psychology and outlook must actually be.
Even the idea that he's incoherent and making it up as he goes along is a decent one.

But the conspiracy is just not functional unless he literally can't integrate most of the information he learns, or they have some kind of bullshit plot anti-telepathy power. I'd give even odds on 'they invented the anti-telepath wristwatch' and 'Mulligan just literally didn't put two and two together.'

Also, he's apparently run into more direct mind-control-y telepaths, since he has internal defenses against them.
But presumably, we will never learn what's up with that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There was a bit of dialogue with I think the school Dean or something about a mind controller but that's as far as any similar powers beyond Patrick were mentioned.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This story keeps getting dumber and somehow more boring than the park even though it's actually about superpowers now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zerilan posted:

There was a bit of dialogue with I think the school Dean or something about a mind controller but that's as far as any similar powers beyond Patrick were mentioned.

It was in this page. He became a slave to a mind controller powerful enough to take over the city of Boston for months. How would it impact the US if a major city could be crushed under the heel of a powerful psychic for extended period of time? Well, we'll never know because it was never brought up again.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

...that page is, uh

The art is better than the current style, for one thing.

But wow, what a bizarre page. It's much more like something out of a black comedy about how superheroes mess up the basic psychology of their entire society than anything else, like one of the darker stories from Empowered.

But apparently that's not what this is about?

This comic doesn't have any idea what it's doing. At all.

E: Also, it manages to effectively mess up the setting? Like, Dr. Zero is clearly a major superhero. What are all the not-Allison's-buddies superhero teams up to now? Is Puppetmaster still alive? The entire comic only really works if Allison is the only superhero of note, and Menace the only important super villain. But clearly they're not, and the setting should reflect that, if only in the background.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 8, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in a better comic that kind of poo poo would tie back in with Patrick's whole reveal that he isn't a mind controller, he just tells people he is so they have an excuse to do what they already wanted to do anyway

like, the puppetmaster was just some rabble-rouser who put on a cape and started a normal-rear end riot cause the people he was "controlling" were reassured they had no accountability, and then promptly got forgotten about once it was over cause it was in nobody's interest to think about it too hard. there is no conspiracy, the superheroes just need a defined Other whose fault it is that the world is a disaster because otherwise it's their fault, so they instantly fall for the first Alex Jones-assed ZOG theory they hear without any real evidence. This will never happen in SFP, a bad comic written by idiots who lack the moral courage to say lynching is bad.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 8, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay it still bugs me a bit that she'd remain invulnerable in someone else's mindscape, but then again this is the most dull and uninteresting plunge into someone's psyche since Dominic Deegan.

At least DD took artistic risks with panel composition and such when it did those sequences.

Sometimes it's hard to live up to the standard set by Dominic Deegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
DD only really had like 1-2 panel composition tricks that it used every time, still more than zero I guess.

• Locked thread