Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For weird, low-key shake-ups, the candidates sponsored by the Pittsburgh DSA are doing fairly well at the moment.

https://twitter.com/pghDSA/status/928087858732257281
In fact, Pittsburgh DSA is calling it for Mik Pappas to unseat several-term 24-year incumbent Ron Costa, Sr. It's important to note that Costa, not Pappas, was the Democrat in this election*, so Pappas' core message was not to vote straight D.

Anita Prizio is the DSA and Our Revolution sponsored candidate for county council. She did get the Dem nomination to run against incumbent Edward Kress. The race is too close to call, but, for now, has her ahead by 2% with 77% of precincts in. Stratch that, 97% in and Prizio is up by 1.5% (about 250 votes)!

All in all, I've got to hand it to Pitt's DSA to mobilize out for these "unimportant" elections. I know they pulled out all the stops for Pappas, and it really shows in beating the incumbent Democrat.

* Note sure how unusual it is, but judges are allowed to run for both parties. Magistrates always run in contested elections (upper judges only face retention votes), so most go unchallenged as the Repub/Dem candidate. I honestly don't know which side Costa truly lies on, but his stance of being against judicial activism in landlord-tenant disputes makes me wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/PostPolls/status/928052090123051009

'We didn't embrace trump hard enough, that's why Whites voted the same amount for Gillispie as they did for Trump and he actually made gains on black and latino voters.'

The actual culprit seems to be more black voters.

https://twitter.com/Play_More_KOF/status/928096564383502336

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Trumpist Scum that Danica Roam beat tonight refused to shake her hand, to debate her and to call her by her proper gender.

Can someone actually corroborate this or is it nonsenseo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
MSNBC completely making GBS threads on Trump and calling this a clear repudiation of Trumpism.

:getin:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Office Pig posted:

I am loving astonished about the Philly DA.

There is no preparing for how loving whiny and pathetic the Philly PD is going to be over this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gowb posted:

iunno about refusing to shaking her hand or debating her but he ran ads referring to her as 'him' and 'he' so i wouldnt doubt the other two

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Right-wingers are already declaring that Virginia was always a blue state and they never really had a chance and Northam should have won by 20 so this is really a moral victory for them and :qq:

Delicious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Phil Murphy is such an awkward guy heh.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Alter Ego posted:

Right-wingers are already declaring that Virginia was always a blue state and they never really had a chance and Northam should have won by 20 so this is really a moral victory for them and :qq:

Delicious.

So basically us when Congressman Bodyslam got elected and those other ones

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gowb posted:

It was from CNN.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

gowb posted:

It’s very true. He mocked reporters who referred to Roem as “her.” Bob Marshall is the epitome of scum and his loss makes this world better.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Except Montana IS normally a red state and Gianforte SHOULD have won by a lot more than he did...

Virginia is, at best, a swing-to-slight-lean-blue state until now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BirdOfPlay posted:

* Note sure how unusual it is, but judges are allowed to run for both parties. Magistrates always run in contested elections (upper judges only face retention votes), so most go unchallenged as the Repub/Dem candidate. I honestly don't know which side Costa truly lies on, but his stance of being against judicial activism in landlord-tenant disputes makes me wonder.
Costa is also a part of powerful political family machine so its good to see them get poo poo on

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A Dem is not going to win Virginia by 10 points right now no matter how awesome they are. Maybe in 6 years.

:unsmigghh:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

oh for fucks sakes there are protesters in the crowd of Northam's victory speech

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/SikhFeminist/status/928098716980039686

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Pro-Sanctuary protestors crashed Northam's victory speech.

He earned that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Immigration protesters at Northam's victory speech. Good.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I think a Latino Victory Fund Guy just tried to rush the stage. It didn’t go well.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Can't be true, I heard he was a terrorist

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

They are not equivalent at all. Montana is so red as gently caress that it WAS a surprise he didn't win by more.

This victory in Virginia is decisive. There's no qualifications about it, nothing that the GOP can lie to themselves about to make them feel better. This was big.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Nate Silver 10:25 PM

To bring the point home a bit, Democrats have won — or are leading in — literally every race that Daily Kos Elections decided to highlight on its scoreboard tonight, except the 45th state Senate District in Washington state, where polls are still open. Some of those wins are by large margins, and some are narrow — but it’s a pretty comprehensive sweep so far.

:laffo:

This is incredible

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Endorph posted:

iunno about refusing to shaking her hand or debating her but he ran ads referring to her as 'him' and 'he' so i wouldnt doubt the other two

Jaysus

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

that's a sikh gain for the left

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

Your nightly reminder that Danica Roem, who just kicked bigot Bob Marshall's bigot rear end, is the frontwoman for this band

https://cabridehome.bandcamp.com/album/crash-the-gate

she rules hard
This band is good. I don't understand why tonight is so good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I've never been so happy to eat crow. No one on Earth thought Northam had a chance to win by 9 loving points.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Those voter breakdowns lead me to believe that the GOP is going to throw all of their resources into voter suppression in 2018 and 2020. White people are still awful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Those voter breakdowns lead me to believe that the GOP is going to throw all of their resources into voter suppression in 2018 and 2020. White people are still awful.

They were already going to do that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

everyone in this thread is cool

thank you to those who campaigned this year. i really cannot articulate my appreciation for your efforts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

white men went 50/50 here. it was white women that went hard for gillispie. if it werent for them northam'd be like +20

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Mayor Bhalla

boy I hope that's pronounced like "balla" so my lame joke makes sense

FizFashizzle posted:

that's a sikh gain for the left
:yeah:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They were already going to do that.

Well to be precise they have been doing this for decades.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
It's not as exciting but a lot of Connecticut towns seem to be flipping from Republican to Democratic control which is pretty great given the gains Republicans made in the 2016 elections here(tied for control of the state senate for the first time in a whole lot of years for example)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

white men went 50/50 here. it was white women that went hard for gillispie. if it werent for them northam'd be like +20

You also have to split it young/old. Take out old white women and old white men and Virginia looks like the ocean.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Well to be precise they have been doing this for decades.

Well yeah. Dems have to be thinking about countering this every time they gain any political power.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axeil posted:

You also have to split it young/old. Take out old white women and old white men and Virginia looks like the ocean.
yeah, that one too. i wonder if part of it really is the rain making old ladies not wanna get out of their cars.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Northam made a point to address the immigration thing in his speech at least, which is nice.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm so glad this guy won, there was some seriously nasty racist campaigning against him. :unsmith:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

I literally drove to Fredericksburg from school in Williamsburg because I was like "maybe my mom and sister's suffering in Cole's awful campaign could mean something" after I forgot to sign up for absentee.

It turns out not so much, but I helped make Northam a landslide. :unsmith:

(Spotsylvania ex-pat, family moved into the city proper four years ago.)

Another Stafford/Fredericksburg area ex-pat here, now in NoVA. Gotta start canvassing back home in 2019 and turn the Senate blue and the House of Delegates bluer :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Speaking as a white woman, white women are the loving worst and continue to vote against their interests because they can't stop being racist for five seconds.

• Locked thread