Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

My mom made fun of me when I was like 10 years old bc i told her excitedly about some cheat code in one of my game manuals where you could hold down sitrel and the arrow keys at the same time to make the character run.

ctrl

My dad couldn't believe that in (American) Super Mario Brothers 2, holding down until your character glowed made you jump higher was a legitimate thing. He thought it was a glitch and forbade us from doing it because it might break the game.

To be fair, my dad worked in IT, so his assumption that glitches threatened stability wasn't always too far off.

(I did the see-mon thing too, and as a kid I thought the Street Fighter character was Goo-lee. In my defense, 100% of my Street Fighter knowledge came from Gamepro, nowhere around us had a SF arcade.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

this is the first time a peanuts strip has elicited any kind of humour-related reaction from me

Have you never seen the very first Peanuts strip?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Charlie Brown having hair is weirding me out. Now I'm wondering what I thought was on his forehead this whole time.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have you never seen the very first Peanuts strip?

why would you not post it???

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

why would you not post it???

Oh, sorry, I'm actually sorry but I'm extremely drunk. Here it is and it's drat good:

e: What happened to your pebmnus?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

My mom made fun of me when I was like 10 years old bc i told her excitedly about some cheat code in one of my game manuals where you could hold down sitrel and the arrow keys at the same time to make the character run.

ctrl

You're okay, Homer Simpson pronounced it k'tarl and he doesn't have the excuse of having been ten years old

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Titus Sardonicus posted:

You're okay, Homer Simpson pronounced it k'tarl and he doesn't have the excuse of having been ten years old

K'tarl is what they have on Klingon keyboards

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

K'toral

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It took me WAY too long to realize that epitome and, I suppose, "ep eh tomb" were the same word.
I had read the former and heard the latter.
I knew they meant the same thing but never pieced it in my head that the pronunciation was wrong and they were one in the same.

I also pronounced "respite" as "re-spite" for a while.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

It took me WAY too long to realize that epitome and, I suppose, "ep eh tomb" were the same word.
I knew they meant the same thing but never pieced it in my head that the pronunciation was wrong and they were one in the same.

Bone app the teeth.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

What about revel? Is it "reh-vel" or "ruhvuhl"?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

As a kid reading Calvin and Hobbes, I was always confused by what "I dunno" meant. Wasn't until years later that I realized I was putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

My dad said it "EPP-ih-tome" as an adult. Once.

My folks still laugh at me for saying "JIN-jam" for "gingham" when I was little. My grandma got laughed at in school when she pronounced it "deb-you-TAHN-tay". You think you know a word...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I still maintain that "sleight" (as in "sleight of hand") should rhyme with "weight" and not "height".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

As a kid reading Calvin and Hobbes, I was always confused by what "I dunno" meant. Wasn't until years later that I realized I was putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable.
I can't figure out how you'd pronounce it so as to make the meaning unclear. People say it both ways - DUN-oh and d'NO.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The big one that always sticks in my craw for me was how long it took me to pronounce "Chimera" considering how many fantasy novels I read as a kid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

The big one that always sticks in my craw for me was how long it took me to pronounce "Chimera" considering how many fantasy novels I read as a kid.

I called it SHIM-er-rah, for far, far too long.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I said CHIM-er-ah, so I was just as wrong. I think I watched Mission Impossible 2 and they were talking about the ki-MEER-a virus and my thought process was, "wtf is that word. Wait, what?"

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh, sorry, I'm actually sorry but I'm extremely drunk. Here it is and it's drat good:

e: What happened to your pebmnus?

I think the : ) look on charlie brown's face is what gives me the giggles, shulz was a master of expression.

I dunno I woke up one morning to this title and then I looked down and was like "oh well I'll be damned"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Memento posted:

I said CHIM-er-ah, so I was just as wrong. I think I watched Mission Impossible 2 and they were talking about the ki-MEER-a virus and my thought process was, "wtf is that word. Wait, what?"

As a youngin' I was playing Gauntlet with a friend who impulsively read every thing on TV. He pronounced it that way and l, after I corrected him, he locked himself in his room and I walked home.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The temperature of the water you use to wash your hands doesn't matter. The important thing is the soap.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

dirksteadfast posted:

I had an interesting morning. I suddenly realized that Bernadette Peters was a singing cat on Animaniacs as a subtle nod to her being a singing cat on Broadway. And then after a quick check online to see if that was the intention, I just found out that she was never Grizabella in CATS...which I have believed her to have been for many, many years.

Are the Animaniacs really supposed to be cats? Huh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

walrusman posted:

No the cat is a cat

http://animaniacs.wikia.com/wiki/Rita

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

The temperature of the water you use to wash your hands doesn't matter. The important thing is the soap.

The warmer water also removes oils/gunk from your hands easier. It just doesn't have an antibiotic temperature.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

walrusman posted:

They're not any specific kind of animal. Creator Tom Ruegger said their species is “Cartoonus Characterus.”

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Google image search "epitome records" and you could see why a young me assumed "tomb" was part of the pronunciation. Or at least "tome" as in an old spooky book.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bone app the teeth.

I always knew how to pronounce hors d'oeuvres the right way but I've gotten Homer Simpson's pronunciation "horse doovers" stuck in my head so hard I forgot the original.

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Nov 8, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Memento posted:

huh thought it was kai meer uh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

The temperature of the water you use to wash your hands doesn't matter.

Do not wash your hands in scalding water TIA.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Besesoth posted:

I still maintain that "sleight" (as in "sleight of hand") should rhyme with "weight" and not "height".

Until reading this very thread a few years back, I thought there there existed in English the verb "to misle"

Apparently I had been misled.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I used to pronounce Banal to rhyme with Anal. I still want to.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Leavemywife posted:

The temperature of the water you use to wash your hands doesn't matter.

:wrong:

"Comfortably warm" is the current CDC recommendation because too hot/cold will irritate the skin and make people less likely to wash their hands for long enough to actually be effective. Cold can also cause the skin to dry out faster, leading to cracking, which further increases the risk of infection. A good vigorous washing of all hand surfaces with mild soap and comfortably warm water for a minimum of 15 seconds is the standard to effectively remove soils and skin-borne pathogens.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bertrand Hustle posted:

:wrong:

"Comfortably warm" is the current CDC recommendation because too hot/cold will irritate the skin and make people less likely to wash their hands for long enough to actually be effective. Cold can also cause the skin to dry out faster, leading to cracking, which further increases the risk of infection. A good vigorous washing of all hand surfaces with mild soap and comfortably warm water for a minimum of 15 seconds is the standard to effectively remove soils and skin-borne pathogens.

So 'comfortably cool' would be just as effective, then

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

purple death ray posted:

So 'comfortably cool' would be just as effective, then
depends on what you're doing. some fats only melt around ~20-25*C, and unmelted fat does not bind with the surfactants in soap as well as it would melted(mostly because it'll be stuck on your hands).

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Cavenagh posted:

I used to pronounce Banal to rhyme with Anal. I still want to.

Um how are you supposed to? Banal = bay-null, banality = buh-nalitty. Right? Right!?!?!?!?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

Um how are you supposed to? Banal = bay-null, banality = buh-nalitty. Right? Right!?!?!?!?

buh nahl

Though generally I've heard it with a shortened first a so it's more like b'nahl.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I keep thinking it sounds wrong when people correctly pronounce 'lever' and I don't know why

e: oh, it's actually an American/British thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That you can keep playing Skyrim after you beat Alduin. :negative:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Randaconda posted:

That you can keep playing Skyrim after you beat Alduin. :negative:

:randstare:

sorry, couldn't help myself

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Phlegmish posted:

I keep thinking it sounds wrong when people correctly pronounce 'lever' and I don't know why

e: oh, it's actually an American/British thing.

Well, better late...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

:randstare:

sorry, couldn't help myself

lol