Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Worst thing is that they didn't even count after the fracas began and nats were an MP down so would have lost the vote 56-58 anyway, so they were just bluffing and got their seats on the select committees for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the nats are probably going to have majorities in a couple of select committees, they could be obstructive in those

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Gogo racist Australia!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41874826

Jacinda offers to take the current problem of the marooned men off their hands but turned it down because???

Not only that, but

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/07/turnbull-says-manus-detainees-arent-scared-just-manipulated-by-activists-in-australia posted:

He said one of the main reasons why New Zealand had the capacity to make that offer was because it had been a “prime beneficiary” of Australia’s strong border protection policies which had stopped asylum seekers entering New Zealand waters in recent years. 

“Do you know we have intercepted and turned back boats which were heading to New Zealand?” Turnbull said on Tuesday.

Which has us scratching our heads over in OzPol, because that seems like an admission of a pretty blatant violation of international law (even for us) to blockade people heading to New Zealand in international waters without NZ's permission.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 7, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks australians for keeping away all those boat people to protect our housing market.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

exmarx posted:

the nats are probably going to have majorities in a couple of select committees, they could be obstructive in those
You can't be obstructionist with a majority though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MikeJF posted:

Not only that, but

Which has us scratching our heads over in OzPol, because that seems like an admission of a pretty blatant violation of international law (even for us) to blockade people heading to New Zealand in international waters without NZ's permission.

People heading across 3000 km of open ocean when there's already a developed country in the vicinity. Sure.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

You can't be obstructionist with a majority though.

It'll force Labour to ignore select committee recommendations fairly often yeah, but National set plenty of precedent for that. To be honest I think it's more in service of this narrative they're already pushing of an unstable "minority government" coaltion - Bill English came out to meet the Press today with a big poo poo eating grin on his face and his FB post was something to the effect of "answering some questions on the government's rocky start"

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I think I just realized that cooperation is seen as a weakness by national.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tbh I'm glad labour won, but I don't see why national should feel obliged to help them. we'd be cheering on Labour in the same position

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's a difference between your Opposition being there not to help you but to pursue and push their own agenda in contrast to your governance, and your Opposition explicitly stating their agenda is to remove and hinder your ability to govern as much as possible.

The former is how we've always run things in this country. The latter is Republican strategy since the America dared elect a black man. The main problems with the strategy - effective as making sure nothing gets done is at being able to blame the government for doing nothing come election time - are that, obviously, not much gets done regardless of who's in power, and also that it's built for an adversarial governmental system like FPP. That's fine for National since they think we still have that, but the divide between parties will go beyond mere issues when National is using its 'mandate' to frustrate not just Labour's plans, but NZF's plans, and the Green's plans, and also its own loving policies simply because of who happens to have bums in the power seats when it comes time to vote for them. We will be left with, actually largely what National's own narrative is, that we either have a strong majority National government or a Labour coalition because the other parties are still nursing grudges at National loving up all their bills. Our parties already aren't in good health, and that would be even worse for MMP and our democracy in the long run.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

RIP Paddles

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

bike tory posted:

RIP Paddles

gently caress, I thought Richard Hadlee had died for a second there.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Aren’t the majority of bills actually passed with near unanimous votes? It is only the ones you hear about which go strictly down party lines. I wonder if National will start opposing the day to day stuff just because they are in opposition.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
loving hell this is potentially Peak Gareth

https://twitter.com/mizjwilliams/status/928021629342322688

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

Aren’t the majority of bills actually passed with near unanimous votes? It is only the ones you hear about which go strictly down party lines. I wonder if National will start opposing the day to day stuff just because they are in opposition.

Yeah if the whips are actually going to have to muster their votes it's usually pretty obvious by the third reading. Like I said, this was a lovely day one stunt so blinglish can kick off his narrative of an unstable minority coalition

Efb on Gareth Morgan being a class act

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

RIP Paddles

This is clearly an assassination committed by National in an attempt to destabilise the government by targeting Jacinda's family members.

:thejoke:

:rip:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just adding that Gareth Morgan can go get hosed.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
gareth morgan is such a oval office lol

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Varkk posted:

Just adding that Gareth Morgan can go get hosed.

Yep

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Varkk posted:

basically the government can pass whatever they want. select committees can gum up the works a bit, and national can make labour answer heaps of embarrassing questions, but nz is an elected dictatorship (put extremely crudely) so if the government want to pass something they can, barring intra coalition shenanigans.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 8, 2017

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/_chloeswarbrick/status/928164149074391041

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He looks like he came straight out of a Batman comic.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/suemoroney/status/927669420884869120

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oh god I hope Trump verbiage isn't gonna become a thing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How many MPs did Bishop tweet that at? She wasn't the only one

E: haha he's been deleting them, that tweet and some others are gone now. Just his one @ julie-anne genter

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 8, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I KNEW IT

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M-UyBP4sgo

good speech

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i'm all the stuff commentors who are insanely mad at willow-jean prime breastfeeding in the house

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

stuff commentator posted:

Can I take my baby to work, oh know it’s to dangerous !!!

+9

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it's dangerous two go alone! take this!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So this article in the Washington Post is sure something huh?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/11/08/how-the-far-right-is-poisoning-new-zealand/?utm_term=.ba5fe34e9322

(By "something" I mean "trash")

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/nzhistory/status/928398769753808901

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

'A shadow is poisoning Middle Earth'

Ugh.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

didn't both labour and the greens campaign on cutting immigration?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yes the whole article is hyperbole, bullshit or misinformation

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 9, 2017

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Greens walked it back during the campaign.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered WTF was up with that article.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/education/98702313/quiz-test-yourself-on-previous-ncea-exam-questions

If stuff commenters are a good representation of your average middle New Zealander, then this is really sad. A disturbingly high proportion of the country is apparently not only completely mystified by very basic algebra, but also think that it is utterly useless to anyone who isn't a scientist

Rahul fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Would you still get full marks in the first one if you didn't do a simultaneous equation? It seems like an unnecessary step since you aren't solving for two variables.

• Locked thread