Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Holy poo poo, is this real?

https://twitter.com/AaronTheH/status/928097726050340864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
She looks somewhat young, since isn't that guy in like, his '70s? Could be she looks good for her age, is a stepsibling/halfsibling, or it's just a small photo. I'm assuming it's true until someone proves otherwise because it's hilarious though. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/David4SenateCA/status/928142358364921856

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Checked Wikipedia, apparently he does have a sister named Paula Marshall (she's an actress, was Iris west in the 90's Flash tv show), and she's 20 years younger than him (53 vs 73). No telling if that's a real account or not, but I'm also going to believe.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

yes

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

get hosed Bob Marshall enjoy losing your seat

I've been wanting to say that for a decade goddamn tonight is good

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Do we have a complete Virginia postmortem by now, or will the recounts continue until morale improves? My initial ludicrous high wore off and I'm becoming concerned they're going to try and steal their majority back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Here's a post-mortem:

https://twitter.com/EdWGillespie/status/187566550289625088

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Young Hegelian posted:

I miss Virginia tonight.

this and also every night

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928239402505179141

:ohdear:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Good night’s sleep and a Stromboli and a wife cuddle and waking up to Schrodinger’s House of Delegates. Gonna shred some paper voter data and dance all day.

What a lovely world.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Good night’s sleep and a Stromboli and a wife cuddle and waking up to Schrodinger’s House of Delegates. Gonna shred some paper voter data and dance all day.

What a lovely world.

drat right!

Ya did good Fancy :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/928119943081746432

The Nazi rally appears to have really pissed local people off and motivated them to vote this year. Double the vote increase from the rest of VA.

Is it still a sweep without that then?

It seems like the narrative here might be more "gently caress nazis" than "gently caress trump," and if so, it may be going to be harder to replicate this kind of sweep in other, non-nazi-infested states in 2018.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It seems like the narrative here might be more "gently caress nazis" than "gently caress trump," and if so, it may be going to be harder to replicate this kind of sweep in other, non-nazi-infested states in 2018.

Without the Charlottesville margin it’s still a sweep. Without the nazi backlash? Thats a bit metaphysical given how hard Gillespie leaned into white grievance politics.

gently caress Trump definitely led the NOVA turnout, although I think of few people might not recognize the difference between gently caress Trump and gently caress nazis. Your real question I think should be how portable NOVA’s turnout, with it’s deep ties to the federal government, is to other suburban areas.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oh yeah, easy. Cville is hilariously blue but low in population compared with the urban crescent.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Quorum posted:

Oh yeah, easy. Cville is hilariously blue but low in population compared with the urban crescent.

I think all of Albemarle(county surrounding Charlottesville)saw an upswing, but yeah still not a huge population center. If you want to examine the shift in suburbs I suggest using Henrico and Chesterfield around Richmond as your baseline. I think they may be more portable examples than the DC suburbs.

Nocartax
Feb 12, 2016

Oh, this is bad, this is really bad! You work, and you slave, and you steal just enough for a sweet lick of that shiny brass ring.

Don't I get a lick?

Doesn't Gil get a lick?!
In his Virginia home, Jim Gilmore waits, glancing at his phone. He is ready. But is Virginia ready for him?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well, at least I agree with him on the bonus peanut.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just going off of memory here: in the 2016 general, Albemarle Co. went for Clinton like 56/34, and neighboring Greene Co. went for Trump like 60-34. But Charlottesville itself went for Clinton 80-13. So Cville is really blue, moreso than other VA cities large and small.

That said, purely as a matter of anecdotal evidence: I saw far fewer signs, stickers, etc. for Hillary than I did for Trump. I can't think of a single time someone expressed to me in person that they were excited to be voting for her the way people did for Obama. I know some people who were mad at Bernie for doing insane, beyond-the-pale things like raising his voice or interrupting her in a debate, but I think they were more on guard against sexism than part of Hillary's weird online fan club.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

That said, purely as a matter of anecdotal evidence: I saw far fewer signs, stickers, etc. for Hillary than I did for Trump.

Big philosophical touchstone in our group is that Yard Signs Don’t Vote. We tend to put our money into volunteers and GOTV instead, since what we lack in money comparatively, we make up for in human power. So we don’t mind the signs. :)

2016 is looking like the end this country needed it to be. Youth turnout through the roof last night, a massively restocked bench that’s gonna grow into some amazing state/federal candidates in the near/medium term, and a road map.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Big philosophical touchstone in our group is that Yard Signs Don’t Vote. We tend to put our money into volunteers and GOTV instead, since what we lack in money comparatively, we make up for in human power. So we don’t mind the signs. :)

2016 is looking like the end this country needed it to be. Youth turnout through the roof last night, a massively restocked bench that’s gonna grow into some amazing state/federal candidates in the near/medium term, and a road map.

Yeah I'm really jazzed to see where Fairfax ends up.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

:agreed:

There were easily 6 times the number of Gillespie signs as there were Northam signs outside of the polling place where I was poll greeting all day yesterday, but there wasn't a single volunteer to be seen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NJ voted against Trump in even larger numbers, though we had Christie as additional motivation.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The only good Gillespie yard signs did in my neighborhood is let people know who not to go to on Halloween. They're more likely to give lovely knockoff candy.

The GOTV presence in my neighborhood was insane. Over the weekend alone we had the Northam team, the local DNC and some sort of Young Democrats group knocking on our door. Even if I told them I was already voting D, they had maps ready to make sure I know where my voting station was and asked me what kind of ID I was planning on using to make sure we were prepared. All very nice and helpful people. Just keep doing that and I'll donate whatever I can to unseat Comstock.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Locally, my small town of 5000 squarely in a suburban Trump district elected its first democrat as mayor in 20 years

The stink really does go all the way down the line

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Nothing crazy in Houston, city voted to lift an old alcohol sales ban in a very small part of the city, and we're borrowing money to fix parks and libraries post-Harvey I guess

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nocartax posted:

In his Virginia home, Jim Gilmore waits, glancing at his phone. He is ready. But is Virginia ready for him?

You are the best gimmick account.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Y'ALL

This is my district and the neighboring one:

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/928107180741529600

The Republican (Gaines) in 117 was practically a shoo-in. He's from a prominent local family, raised a ton of money, and had the endorsement of our mayor. His signs were everywhere, and his connections in local & university politics (college town) were really significant. I think I saw two or three Gonzales signs, and that's it. This is nuts.

I'm in 119, and we all expected a run-off. There were three compelling Republicans and one Democrat (Wallace) who only even decided to run a few weeks ago. He still blew them all out of the water.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I'm really jazzed to see where Fairfax ends up.

President Fairfax 2024? :allears:

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

President Fairfax 2024? :allears:

I don't like this, but only because it presumes Democrats lose 2020. :smith:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What a lovely world.

And the secret to the Dem's success last night is revealed. Time to take you to REAL America and show you what we do to liars and cheats! Boys, take'em to VA-06.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So Le Page is saying he won't implement medicaid expansion

Nocartax
Feb 12, 2016

Oh, this is bad, this is really bad! You work, and you slave, and you steal just enough for a sweet lick of that shiny brass ring.

Don't I get a lick?

Doesn't Gil get a lick?!

skeleton warrior posted:

You are the best gimmick account.

It was between this and a Lincoln Chafee gimmick. I couldn’t come up with a good username but could think of some decent Rhode Island and Providence Plantations political jokes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/njdotcom/status/928259347678863360

Phil Murphy is a spazz.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Y'ALL

This is my district and the neighboring one:

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/928107180741529600

The Republican (Gaines) in 117 was practically a shoo-in. He's from a prominent local family, raised a ton of money, and had the endorsement of our mayor. His signs were everywhere, and his connections in local & university politics (college town) were really significant. I think I saw two or three Gonzales signs, and that's it. This is nuts.

I'm in 119, and we all expected a run-off. There were three compelling Republicans and one Democrat (Wallace) who only even decided to run a few weeks ago. He still blew them all out of the water.

Looks like they failed to make gaines.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

B B posted:

You're right, and I got my years wrong. It would be more like Fairfax 2028 or 2032 depending on how things go, which gives him enough time to run for a term as Virginia Governor.

quote:

So Le Page is saying he won't implement medicaid expansion

This seems Bad, what can voters and Democratic politicians in Maine do about this?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

You're right, and I got my years wrong. It would be more like Fairfax 2028 or 2032 depending on how things go, which gives him enough time to run for a term as Virginia Governor.

This seems Bad, what can voters and Democratic politicians in Maine do about this?

Vote him the gently caress out in 2018 and have that rear end in a top hat Eliot Cutler thrown into the Atlantic if he tries to run as the Americans Elect candidate again.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Impeach LePage.

They tried last year and only fell about 20 votes short.

Sending a giant middle finger to the voters is a whole different ball of wax.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alter Ego posted:

Vote him the gently caress out in 2018 and have that rear end in a top hat Eliot Cutler thrown into the Atlantic if he tries to run as the Americans Elect candidate again.

Isn't Le Page the psycho governor?

Also

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/928268933748142080

:yayclod: :yayclod: :yayclod:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

B B posted:

Do we have any interesting dem candidates yet? Is Roem eligible? How about that Sikh guy, he seems cool. Let's have a low drama infrastructure-focused president. The 2024 ad campaign writes itself.
"The republicans have been wasting their breath complaining about my turban/pronouns as well as the national debt, conveniently forgetting that the last two republican presidents expanded that debt to pay for needless wars and tax cuts on the rich. Meanwhile, I've spent four years advocating for repair -- roads, bridges, dams, and taxes. My name is [name] and I'll see you next year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lepage is more overtly racist than Trump. That's how bad he is.

• Locked thread