Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys normally play solo or online?

uhh both because theyre required and soloing online quests can be v. lonely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Solo is my default except when I need to kill something repeatedly for rare drops and I want it to go as quickly as possible, or when I'm fighting a boss type monster that would take forever solo like Dalamadur, or when real life friends want to hunt together.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Playing online is fun! I'll play with pubs, even if they suck. I only have problems with people being dicks to other players.

If I can't find a room for a particular monster or quest, like an urgent, then I'll just solo it.

Not sure how I'm going to tackle World. Think I'll solo the more important story related quests, like the new flagship, and play online for the rest.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If friends/goons are online, play with friends/goons for everything. Otherwise, with World's scaling, probably solo a lot unless I want to farm a monster hard. I think the difficulty curve for new players will be enough to drive online play pretty hard.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I know there's going to be friends who want to group for the game but I've always enjoyed the solo progression in Monster Hunter (even for guild quests). If I start doing group quests I'm going to be flying through that progression and it's not quite going to feel as rewarding I think :/

Fuzzykins fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 8, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fuzzykins posted:

I know there's going to be friends who want to group for the game but I've always enjoyed the solo progression in Monster Hunter (even for guild quests). If I start doing group quests I'm going to be flying through that progression and it's not quite going to feel as rewarding I think :/

Yeah, same. I like playing with friends and I'll coop if I need to grind a specific item, but I like to beat every monster solo at least once. The whole point of the game is overcoming the difficulty by learning the monsters and I can't help feeling that if you only co-op you're cheating yourself out of that experience. In a 4 player match you could probably just AFK and still win :shobon:

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 8, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love solo hunting but always hated how there was a cap on how far solo hunts can take you, progression-wise. I'm actually really optimistic about World's party scaling system because of this.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Xarbala posted:

I love solo hunting but always hated how there was a cap on how far solo hunts can take you, progression-wise. I'm actually really optimistic about World's party scaling system because of this.

Much as I love Monster Hunter I don't think I ever reached that cap, I'm assuming it's the final monster tier in Guild or something?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fuzzykins posted:

Much as I love Monster Hunter I don't think I ever reached that cap, I'm assuming it's the final monster tier in Guild or something?

Well there's only so much content you can do in the campaign and post-campaign solo hunts, after that you're expected to go into the multiplayer to go higher. And usually that point is about one rank lower than whatever content is available in multiplayer. So in base games without a G-Rank, you can basically go up to max Low Rank before you need to go into multiplayer. Maybe the bottom of High Rank if they're generous. In games with a G-Rank, the campaign/solo quests go up to High Rank before you reach your limit.

But MHW is apparently not doing a solo/mp divide and is just going to scale monster stats to the size of your party, which is cool as heck.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

You can solo G Rank quests, it's just a big pain in the rear end.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

You can solo G Rank quests, it just requires you to git gud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KshF5hK9We4&t=5s

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of soloing, at what point should I attempt to solo deviants, starting with Redhelm Arzuros 1?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Once you get good high rank gear because they will destroy you with anything less. Green sharpness will be useless unless you have mind's eye or spam aerial.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Well there's only so much content you can do in the campaign and post-campaign solo hunts, after that you're expected to go into the multiplayer to go higher. And usually that point is about one rank lower than whatever content is available in multiplayer. So in base games without a G-Rank, you can basically go up to max Low Rank before you need to go into multiplayer. Maybe the bottom of High Rank if they're generous. In games with a G-Rank, the campaign/solo quests go up to High Rank before you reach your limit.

But MHW is apparently not doing a solo/mp divide and is just going to scale monster stats to the size of your party, which is cool as heck.

This is definitely good but I recall arrekz saying it was probably just going to be two specific settings ("1 player" or ">1 player") so playing privately with 2-3 players would still be an uphill battle. Has anything confirmed one way or another?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Elman posted:

Yeah, same. I like playing with friends and I'll coop if I need to grind a specific item, but I like to beat every monster solo at least once. The whole point of the game is overcoming the difficulty by learning the monsters and I can't help feeling that if you only co-op you're cheating yourself out of that experience. In a 4 player match you could probably just AFK and still win :shobon:

Find crappier friends who need you to carry them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Solo all the way. Playing with other people can be a lot of fun too, but it's so different from soloing that it might as well be a different game (and I prefer the single-player game).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I really dislike forced multiplayer. It can be fun occasionally, but if you aren't rushing through everything the online boils down to people farmong really specific stuff really quickly and its almost impossible to find groups if you want to fight unpopular monsters erc.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I try to solo everything at least once just to prove I can. Except Dreadking, because gently caress that loving poo poo forever.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Marogareh posted:

Once you get good high rank gear because they will destroy you with anything less. Green sharpness will be useless unless you have mind's eye or spam aerial.

Thanks. So, high rank armor and blue sharpness, then?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Digirat posted:

This is definitely good but I recall arrekz saying it was probably just going to be two specific settings ("1 player" or ">1 player") so playing privately with 2-3 players would still be an uphill battle. Has anything confirmed one way or another?

The famitsu article mentioned it in terms of single-player and multi-player rather than scaling based on party size. Once somebody joins you're flagged as multi-player even if they drop right after. The issue with full-scaling systems is the way they can very easily dis-incentivize allowing multiple joins whereas with how they have it set up it's less that hunting with a friend + randoms makes the quests harder and more that you can optionally make the quests easier than normal if you're playing alone. In order to then dis-incentivize pure solo play they also have bounty/investigation quests which reward sharing quests with others. All in all I think it's a pretty clever system.

That said, I expect every always-available quest to feel comfortable with 2 players and then the rotating quests will likely be designed for 4. That's how they've tended to do things in the past, with the regular quests meant to be "just hop on with a friend, but perhaps randoms can make it even easier too since they aren't also increasing monster health or anything!" and the large event quests "hop on with the community" with some exceptions. Perhaps stuff like the bounty/investigation quests would also be tuned to 4 players as well to further emphasize community but squads should have you covered there.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Thanks. So, high rank armor and blue sharpness, then?

It's been a while since I did redhelm but blue sharpness will probably work. You will bounce with green sharpness drat near everywhere on him and pretty much all deviants.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Decus posted:

The famitsu article mentioned it in terms of single-player and multi-player rather than scaling based on party size. Once somebody joins you're flagged as multi-player even if they drop right after. The issue with full-scaling systems is the way they can very easily dis-incentivize allowing multiple joins whereas with how they have it set up it's less that hunting with a friend + randoms makes the quests harder and more that you can optionally make the quests easier than normal if you're playing alone. In order to then dis-incentivize pure solo play they also have bounty/investigation quests which reward sharing quests with others. All in all I think it's a pretty clever system.

That said, I expect every always-available quest to feel comfortable with 2 players and then the rotating quests will likely be designed for 4. That's how they've tended to do things in the past, with the regular quests meant to be "just hop on with a friend, but perhaps randoms can make it even easier too since they aren't also increasing monster health or anything!" and the large event quests "hop on with the community" with some exceptions. Perhaps stuff like the bounty/investigation quests would also be tuned to 4 players as well to further emphasize community but squads should have you covered there.

While it may not scale past two multiplayer-wise, just having another hunter can make a big difference aggro-wise. I've found that having someone else around makes things go quicker as one can attack all-out while the other has the monsters attention. It doesn't seem like a huge difference at the time but things seem to move much faster as long as your add-on isn't feeding carts to the monster.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah, which is why I don't agree that scaling per player is worse. As long as someone isn't double carting, they contribute just by existing to distract the monster and giving you more opportunities to attack. So I wouldn't be upset that someone joined just because it made the monster's health go up.

I'm basing this on the MH I played which is pretty old at this point so this balance might have changed since then, but I felt like two-person multiplayer took a pretty unfun amount of time to kill compared to 4 and I would prefer for that to feel just as balanced as solo or a full lobby. Hopefully having those two felynes will make enough of a difference to at least kill monsters as fast as in a three-person game, but I'm assuming the felynes don't really do damage and mostly just serve as a distraction.

I really just wanna play the mode that has 2 felynes all the time ok

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I've always felt that the majority of MP is already balanced for two players. I duo'd through most of the latter generations of MH (after soloing and regular online for the first two generations) and always felt that the difficulty was just right. More than two people always felt pretty trivial, outside of the absolute top tier of content.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Digirat posted:

yeah, which is why I don't agree that scaling per player is worse. As long as someone isn't double carting, they contribute just by existing to distract the monster and giving you more opportunities to attack. So I wouldn't be upset that someone joined just because it made the monster's health go up.

I'm basing this on the MH I played which is pretty old at this point so this balance might have changed since then, but I felt like two-person multiplayer took a pretty unfun amount of time to kill compared to 4 and I would prefer for that to feel just as balanced as solo or a full lobby. Hopefully having those two felynes will make enough of a difference to at least kill monsters as fast as in a three-person game, but I'm assuming the felynes don't really do damage and mostly just serve as a distraction.

I really just wanna play the mode that has 2 felynes all the time ok

In Generations and 4U, which are the only ones I've played really, your Felynes are mostly good as distractions, yeah, but you can spec them out to be useful for support. My preferred multiplayer hunting companion is a healing cat. That True Health Horn can be a godsend. Support cats are also helpful, as they will sometimes tell you when a monster is capturable.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
Awww ... seriously disappointed to hear the palico you make at the start of the game will be the only palico you get. Not even a palico farm, just a farm :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

There are still randomized felynes on the map that you can temporarily team up with, so you can have two at a time if you want, you just don't get to keep them. Your palico can also befriend small monsters as a second companion.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

There are still randomized felynes on the map that you can temporarily team up with, so you can have two at a time if you want, you just don't get to keep them. Your palico can also befriend small monsters as a second companion.

Interesting. Still saddened, but a bit less so now, thanks ^^

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Grimalkyne :colbert: Which are better than Felynes in every way because they have sweet lynx ears. The real tragedy is that you can't have a sweet new world Grimalkyne companion and are stuck with a dumb pedestrian old world Felyne.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Grimalkyne sounds way too cool a name for cutesy cat people.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Boy they really do like adding new loving names for cats every gen, don't they? Felyne, Melynx, Palico, Nyanters, Grimalkyne...

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Boy they really do like adding new loving names for cats every gen, don't they? Felyne, Melynx, Palico, Nyanters, Grimalkyne...

Many different ways to skin the same cat

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Felyne/Melynx/Grimalkyne are all different races/species/subspecies/breeds of Lynian. Palico and Nyanta are titles. Palicos are specifically the companion felyne for a hunter and Nyantas are felynes that are hunters themselves (Prowler mode).

Grimalkyne look super freaking sweet:

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 13, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is some good cat chat and I want to reiterate how important it will be for them to let you change your appearance after the start of the game so you can enjoy all varieties of felyne comrade

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I’m A-OK with it being down to one Palico. I loved the Palico Ace from MH4U being your very own better-than-the-rest right hand cat, and was a little sad to see that personal touch missing from Generations. Personally, I would love it if they just kept to the MH4U system, but I will take this, too.

What’s this about palicos training little monsters?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

i am tim! posted:

I’m A-OK with it being down to one Palico. I loved the Palico Ace from MH4U being your very own better-than-the-rest right hand cat, and was a little sad to see that personal touch missing from Generations. Personally, I would love it if they just kept to the MH4U system, but I will take this, too.

What’s this about palicos training little monsters?

The native cats can teach yours to speak local monster dialect. This lets your Palico befriend small monsters who can then be temp party members and accompany you on hunts. Also your cat can ride some of them into battle :black101:

You can also recruit a native cat to help if you run into them. They seem to have 4U/X style classes.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 13, 2017

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

Felyne/Melynx/Grimalkyne are all different races/species/subspecies/breeds of Lynian. Palico and Nyanta are titles. Palicos are specifically the companion felyne for a hunter and Nyantas are felynes that are hunters themselves (Prowler mode).

I am fully aware of all of this because I am a massive spergy nerd. I still find it annoying that they have to keep adding new cat varieties every single game when there's like a dozen already.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

AttackBacon posted:

Grimalkyne :colbert: Which are better than Felynes in every way because they have sweet lynx ears. The real tragedy is that you can't have a sweet new world Grimalkyne companion and are stuck with a dumb pedestrian old world Felyne.

AttackBacon posted:

Grimalkyne look super freaking sweet:

I have been burying my head in the sand re: World since I know there's a million ways for me to be disappointed, this is something I didn't even know existed and was subsequently disappointed about. Capcpom please :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felynes are cuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

If there's no prowler mode in World I'm gonna be really sad. I eventually just stopped playing as a hunter in Gen and made a bunch of different cat builds to play as. Bomber was my favorite.

Even if they don't add it 'til a year after its release, that's fine. It just seems rude to let us play as cats and then drop it forever, especially since we're never going to get double cross.

• Locked thread