Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I heard captain toad described as “gaming comfort food” and that’s 1000% correct.

very true until you do some of those time trial goals and then it's more like "i've replaced eating with smoking cigarettes and drinking flat diet coke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also in XB1 enemies took fall damage so you could kill level 70+ enemies by using Melia to sleep them near a ledge and use one of her attacks with knockback to drop them off a cliff in to water, which instantly killed them.

Usually, but not always. Sometimes they'd make their way back up around from the bottom of the canyon all beat to poo poo and angry, more often than not picking up some buddies even while you're busy with another one or two.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

If they are above you by 5 levels you wiff forever and every enemy attack sets off a 20 second future vision. Game has some problems, mang

1) Magic can't miss.
2) You can stack Accuracy bonuses and override the penalty entirely. You can beat enemies 20+ levels higher than you if you bother to do this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Good to know but ill never replay it to try

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FWIW it also does not work like that in XC2, there's been plenty of vids of characters fighting monsters 7+ levels higher than them and landing hits just fine.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Buy every single physical release for the switch now. And keep doing it. That way, in 20 years, you will have a complete collection and won't have to pay out the rear end for your retro games. Never buy digital unless it is the only way to get it. And buy every single digital only release. Keep storing them on more and more memory cards. Only then will you truly be a switch master.

Alternately, buy a phat SD card and buy everything digital and not have a bunch of nasty-tasting cards all over.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Digital games are good and cool as long as you have an internet

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought a physical copy of Splatoon 2 with my Switch so I wouldn’t have to wait for it to download when I got home. A good choice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
XC2 download finished.

What are the odds we get at least some hacker leak before 12/1 given how early you can preload? I know it would be difficult...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ARE there any other (J)RPGs on the Switch right now? Besides Golf Story I guess. Which counts. Sort of

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

XC2 download finished.

What are the odds we get at least some hacker leak before 12/1 given how early you can preload? I know it would be difficult...

The same odds as someone winning the lottery 30 times while being struck by lightning.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Two Beans posted:

Alternately, buy a phat SD card and buy everything digital and not have a bunch of nasty-tasting cards all over.

No value in 20 years. The value comes from physical. Duh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I figured it out. People who buy physical are sex havers. People who go full digital have commitment issues and only know the caress of their computer monitors.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ciaphas posted:

ARE there any other (J)RPGs on the Switch right now? Besides Golf Story I guess. Which counts. Sort of

I Am Setsuna is one. Inspired by Chrono Trigger and considered to be pretty mediocre. Some people love it though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DACK FAYDEN posted:

XC2 download finished.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Miiverse is officially dead now.:rip:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/en/

I wonder how much longer before they cut support for online multiplayer on Wii U. I’m betting before 2019.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

OMG What if they port Souls to the Switch but the whatever note thing the game does is straight up replaced with Splatoon 2 style mii posts. Throw the drawing textures right on top of things and maintain the goofy 9yo talking about Santa in July randomness of it.

That would be magical :allears:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Disgaea 5

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i got a leftover $18 of credit burnin a hole in my nintendo eshop pocket. what should i drop it on

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

i got a leftover $18 of credit burnin a hole in my nintendo eshop pocket. what should i drop it on

Stardew, Shovel Knight and Golf Story would be good choices.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

what a weird take. in the ending, i thought the opposite was true: it's Peach that doesn't care about Mario and Bowser's stupid antics. and why should she? she's a cool princess seeing the world, with an enormous list of potential suitors from every race imaginable and a legion of weird loving mushroom men at her command. in the end Mario's motivation to have an adventure is not encouraged or even really participated-in by Peach.

what i love about mario odyssey is basically how it sort of cribs the worldbuilding from Adventure Time, which is also an enthusiastic nonsensensical mash of aesthetics and ideas.

Regarding the ending: I was convinced that Bowser kidnapping Peach was a ruse, that Peace had orchestrated the whole thing and had recruited Bowser to help get Mario going on an adventure. I expected the story to end up with Peach proposing to/kissing/making a cake for Mario, or whatever these people do. I got certain of it when I entered the church and found a bunch of friends hanging out. But I suppose not!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
xenoblade 2 looks so anime, loving it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

Zelda dlc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

Blaster Master Zero

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's a bit weird in the end of Mario Odyssey that a lot of people from different Kingdoms show up to attend a wedding where one participant is being forced into it.

It's a bit like real-world politics though, I suppose. :v:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Maybe there was an open bar.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

irlZaphod posted:

It's a bit weird in the end of Mario Odyssey that a lot of people from different Kingdoms show up to attend a wedding where one participant is being forced into it.

It's a bit like real-world politics though, I suppose. :v:

If you walk around before approaching the alter one of the npcs mentions they were kidnapped

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I stopped playing my Wii around 2009-2010, and never got a WiiU, what was the big deal about the Miiverse?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it was just a simple and pleasant nintendo-focused social media thing, detached from ads and the relentless 24/7 news cycle that plagues all the others

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was also a good place to share screenshots because you could spoiler tag stuff.

Also there were memes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Miiverse was very precious and nothing like it will ever exist again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My favourite part of the Miiverse was that they had to limit users to 30 posts a day to put a cap on kids spamming boards with weird roleplay threads.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Captain Toad is a menace and makes all other Toads look bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dizz posted:

He is a Captain of the Toad Brigade, and you will respect him as such :patriot:.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dizz posted:

Toadette is also of equal or at least near-equal strength and power.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Fire Emblem Warriors is getting an update on the 16th of November. Includes a new History Map, new weapon ability and new clothes for Lianna and Rowan.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Toadette is also of equal or at least near-equal strength and power.

Toadette doesn't claim to be higher than other Toads though so she gets a pass.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

No value in 20 years. The value comes from physical. Duh.

"No value" is a weird way of saying "priceless".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop (all releases Nov 9, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EST/9am PST for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Street Hoop/Street Slam - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
This 3-on-3 street basketball game was released in 1994. Players choose from 10 teams vying for the position of the strongest street basketball team in America. The excitement of this game comes from the players’ ability to enjoy an exhilarating game of street basketball. In addition to pulling off fancy slam dunks, players can enjoy the thrill of basketball with simple controls that allow them to make passes to players in midair to throw down a slam dunk or dunk when rebounding the ball. Additionally, if players charge up their gauges, they’ll be able to make an earth-shattering super shot that can break any defense. This game successfully combines adherence to the basics of basketball with some outrageous special moves.

Cat Quest - $12.99 / £ ? / € ? (Nov 10 NA / Nov 10 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Cat Quest is an open world RPG set in the pawsome world of cats! Leap into a grand adventure in purrsuit of the evil Drakoth and your catnapped sister! Explore Felingard's huge overworld map, risk life and limb delving into dungeons for epic loot, and lend a paw to a furry cast of characters in a flurry of side quests.

DOOM - $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (Nov 10)
Retail / Digital - [NA] [EU]
Relentless demons, impossibly destructive guns, and fast, fluid movement provide the foundation for intense, first-person combat – whether you’re obliterating demon hordes through the depths of Hell in the single-player campaign, or competing against your friends in numerous multiplayer modes. There is no taking cover or stopping to regenerate health as you beat back Hell’s raging demon hordes.

Farming Simulator: Nintendo Switch Edition - $49.99 / £37.99 / €44.99 (Nov 7)
Take on the challenges of the modern farmer! Explore a huge open world including a detailed North American environment, loaded with farming activities, over hundreds of acres of land. Drive over 250 authentic farming vehicles and equipment from over 75 manufacturers, including brands such as Challenger, Fendt, Massey Ferguson and Valtra.

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (Nov 7)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
After countless days and nights celebrating within the infamous Monkey Tavern, our team of adventurers have spent every last penny. Their fates, however, are about to change... Like a gift from the gods, in walks a mysterious stranger who points them towards a high tower full of invaluable treasures. It doesn't take much more to rouse their thirst for adventure.

Koi DX - $5.00 / £4.99 / €5.00
Digital - [NA] [EU]
KOI reflects a tranquil and mesmerizing experience as you embark on an introspective journey through the lens of a lone koi fish separated from its owner and is the last hope for purifying waters polluted by mankind. It’s up to you to turn the tide and guide the koi through eight artfully rendered stages that will take you into the murky as well as enchanting waters, deep below the surface.Search and activate the hiding small fish, bring the small fish to open the flowers with the same color.The wandering black fish should be avoided once encountered.Once all flowers are opened, the black fish will be purified.

Maria the Witch - $4.99 / £4.49 / €4.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Zaki & Mia stole all the mails and spread them all over the worlds. Help Maria to bring them back to their owners. She is an amateur, and she still needs a lot of practice to master her broom. It will not be easy but she has to do what she has to do. A fantastic adventure and addictive game. Try and retry to control her clumsy broom and travel through many different magical worlds.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch - $14.99 / £11.99 / €13.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Octodad is a game about destruction, deception, and fatherhood. The player controls Octodad, a dapper octopus masquerading as a human. Octodad's existence is a struggle, as he must master mundane tasks with his unwieldy tentacles while keeping his cephalopodan nature a secret from his human family.

Rock 'N' Racing Off-Road DX - $7.99 / £7.19 / €7.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Rock'N Racing Off Road DX offers the most entertaining and exciting races, with loads of skids, crashes and amazing jumps. You will have several modes of play, such as Cup mode, time trial and multi-player with the option of up to 4 Players at a time. Online ranking table where you can compare your best times with friends and players from around the world.

Snipperclips Plus - Cut it Out, Together! - $29.99 / £ ? / € ? (or $9.99 / £ ? / € ? if purchased using a Nintendo Account which has also purchased the original Snipperclips game) (Nov 10)
Paper pals Snip and Clip must cut each other into the right shapes to overcome tricky obstacles in this updated version of the game. Partner up with friends or family to solve puzzles, including new comic book and toy box worlds, 3 new activities, and a new stamp mode. Plus, play the original levels in new shapes!

Sonic Forces - $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99 (Nov 7)
Sonic Forces is the latest Sonic the Hedgehog game that lets you create a custom character with powerful gadgets, speed through rolling ruined landscapes as Modern Sonic, and catapult past perilous platforms as Classic Sonic. Experience fast-paced action with these three unique gameplay styles, explore iconic stages, plus, fight across unique added content with Shadow as a playable character!*

Spellspire - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Spellspire is a thrilling mashup of word game and action role playing game. Pick letters from a grid to spell words and shoot them from your wand as spells. The longer the word, the bigger the blast! Buy more powerful wands, hats and robes with magical special effects and abilities. Power through tough encounters and bossfights with health potions, spell scrolls and other magical items. Will you reach the top of the Spellspire, and what will you find?

Super Putty Squad - $19.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Putty Is Back! A timeless classic makes the Nintendo Switch™. Jump, bounce, squidge and stretch your way to victory as you help Putty save his kidnapped friends from certain death in this classic gaming platformer with over 100 levels.

Tallowmere - $6.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Greetings, hero! How far through Lady Tallowmere's dungeons can you delve? Each randomly-generated room gets bigger, harder, and more rewarding the further you go. Raise your shield and hunt for the key in each room - or die trying. Be on your guard for every enemy, elite, boss, and treasure chest you'll encounter. Discover new weapons and armor ranging from Basic to Otherworldly. Brace yourself as you learn the quirks of each foe, trap, and room type so you can strive for that "one more run" high-score victory!

Uno for Nintendo Switch - $9.99 / £7.99 / €9.99 (Nov 7)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
UNO®, the beloved card game, is coming to the Nintendo Switch system with exciting new features. Players can now race against friends to see who can empty their hand first in Classic Play, or you can customize your experience with a variety of unique and exciting House Rules. For even more fun, the new Emote system allows players to share the joy of victory – or the agony of defeat. Flick the controller to play, draw, or pass cards for the physical feel of real-life UNO. Play with the Rabbids, Just Dance, Rayman, or Winter themes for four new, unique experiences! Play online or locally using up to four Switch consoles, and communicate using the new Emote system!

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Dizz posted:

Captain Toad is a beacon of hope and justice and being adorable

• Locked thread