Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kanos posted:

And then someone casts any spell on him or a hero-class unit manages to hit him once and he falls over dead immediately.

You have to give him resistances and balance that way, but make it that he can't get bogged down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

And that's coming when? I suppose I can go back to Skaven or the six other factions I wanna play...

Nobody knows yet. I'd be quite surprised if it was longer than a month or two away.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Go full whatever the name of the ninja clan was in Shogun 2 and give stealth to every unit.

Sadly I don't' think they had stealth on every unit. I think they had Vanguard Deployment on every unit. Clearly, Eshin should get both.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vargs posted:

Nobody knows yet. I'd be quite surprised if it was longer than a month or two away.

I'd really hope it's sometime in the next few weeks. They got Mortal Empires out roughly on schedule, hopefully they're working on the Foundation stuff, the freelc and the paid stuff all at the same time. Norsca were my favourite faction to play as and their current state is one of the things stopping me from wanting to play as any of the factions that have to interact with them a lot as well, also missing the RoR for Beastmen.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love this game but i'm probably out until Norsca and Tomb Kings show up. Their absence make the extreme north and south of the map kinda stale, plus the bug fixes that need to happen still.

I'm not too worried though, I was similarly flat about the first game's initial release and patches and that game matured into probably the best TW game ever made.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Does anyone know what the skaven horde building entries refer to?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Who would Eshin's LL be?

I’m not sure Eshin is getting the LL treatment. They already have all their tabletop units and then some, CA said they want 4 lords for each race, and Moulder and Skryre both have a presence on the map and a few missing units between them.

If you had to ask me, the remaining LLs will be

Lizardmen: Lord Kroak, aka the original Death Star; and Tehenhauin, who’d focus on skink units

High Elfs: Alarielle the Everqueen, Legendary lore of life caster; and Alith Anar the Shadow King, prince of nagarythe and fun as a dedicated ranged LL

Skaven: Ikit Claw, master warlock of clan skryre, wears rat sized power armor; and Throt the Unclean, master mutator of clan moulder with three arms and a warpstone eye

Dark Elves: Crone Hellebron, leader of the witch elves and warrior priestess of khaine, only old looking elf in the game because morathi won’t tell her the secret of eternal youth; and then it’s honestly kind of a toss up and I don’t know dark elf lore well enough to hazard a guess

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Eshin is the lamest clan.

Skryre/Moulder, best clans.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Dark Elves: Crone Hellebron, leader of the witch elves and warrior priestess of khaine, only old looking elf in the game because morathi won’t tell her the secret of eternal youth; and then it’s honestly kind of a toss up and I don’t know dark elf lore well enough to hazard a guess

Malus Darkblade is 110% in, and is probably my most anticipated lord

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Malus_Darkblade

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm holding out hope for Shadowblade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I want a Konrad von Carstein campaign where he has three yellow trees and nothing else.

e: He gets unlimited free necromancers but they can never get better than 5 loyalty.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 8, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’m not sure Eshin is getting the LL treatment. They already have all their tabletop units and then some, CA said they want 4 lords for each race, and Moulder and Skryre both have a presence on the map and a few missing units between them.

If you had to ask me, the remaining LLs will be

Lizardmen: Lord Kroak, aka the original Death Star; and Tehenhauin, who’d focus on skink units

High Elfs: Alarielle the Everqueen, Legendary lore of life caster; and Alith Anar the Shadow King, prince of nagarythe and fun as a dedicated ranged LL

Skaven: Ikit Claw, master warlock of clan skryre, wears rat sized power armor; and Throt the Unclean, master mutator of clan moulder with three arms and a warpstone eye

The thing with Crone Hellebron is that she has survived for so long that bathing in blood no longer works for her and unlike Morathi she is not blessed by Slaanesh as his most effective champion.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
What am I missing with regards to Great Eagles? Whenever I play HE they always seem lacklustre for their investment (building/army slot/cost). Sometimes I get one in an emergency to have something to go after siege weapons, but generally is there any reason to have one instead of a phoenix/dragon?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Foxhound posted:

What am I missing with regards to Great Eagles? Whenever I play HE they always seem lacklustre for their investment (building/army slot/cost). Sometimes I get one in an emergency to have something to go after siege weapons, but generally is there any reason to have one instead of a phoenix/dragon?

The only advantage they have is that they are easier to field then the other flying units. Outside of that they are like feral bastilidons as in being completely outclassed by everything else that exists in that slot.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There's not actually a ton of Dark Elf characters that are likely to be added. After Hellebrone you've basically got Malus Darkblade, Shadowblade, and Lokir Fellheart, and out of those three Malus has a pretty large edge, depending on what CA's reasoning ends up being.

Mechanically Malus is pretty boring, he's a melee dude on a Cold One with a berserk button, but he's popular and has a lot of books written about him, so.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Mortal empires, Empire status report; playing on hard.

As of turn 80, the word has 3 major zones of conflict. Karl Franz has good relationships with the remaining Empire factions.
  • The Dwarves are battling it out with the Orcs, thanks to Green iz Best (thanks Genjor).
  • I've been battling the vampires and have pushed them into into the mountains. It's going to be a bitch to root them out.
  • The Varg own the north. They have killed Kislev and are encroaching on my allies and my Northern provinces. This is not a good thing.
I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm not looking forward to slogging through chariots and marauder horsemen for most of my end game. I've seen none of the new factions. No elves, no skaven (they are apparently alive), no nothing. I could have played TWW1 and have had a better norse experience.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Talk about the most worthless trait you could possibly get from defeating early game rival

:thunk:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Fewd posted:

Talk about the most worthless trait you could possibly get from defeating early game rival

:thunk:

On the other hand, that's a really useful trait for pretty much everyone who aren't Vampires.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Afriscipio posted:

I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm not looking forward to slogging through chariots and marauder horsemen for most of my end game. I've seen none of the new factions. No elves, no skaven (they are apparently alive), no nothing. I could have played TWW1 and have had a better norse experience.
yeah, but what about the elves, skaven and lizardmen you'll never see in an ME campaign before boredrom crushes you? you'd miss them!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Foxhound posted:

For price, they are pretty good against artillery and ranged.. Also, they come out of a the same tier 3 building that White Lions come from, so they come out of minor settlements,

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
If Tehenhauin gives skinks the same treatment that Skarsnik gives to gobbos then I absolutely cannot wait.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gitro posted:

Does anyone know what the skaven horde building entries refer to?

I hope it's an indication that regionless AI Skaven armies emerging like beastmen brayherds to attack random areas of the map will be a thing eventually. Because I feel like the game really needs this, both to make there be more Skaven presence on the map and also to make the Empire start even harder.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I see the arguments for Ikit and Throt but it’s kinda weird to imagine that Thanquol wouldn’t be a Lord.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Foxhound posted:

One on its own sucks, three working together cause absolute havoc and mince hellcannons ridiculously fast.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Helion posted:

I see the arguments for Ikit and Throt but it’s kinda weird to imagine that Thanquol wouldn’t be a Lord.

There was an interview with Andy Haul recently were he heavily hinted that it would be a long wait for Thanquol but he doesn't mind because they plan to "Do the whole IP eventually".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm reasonably confident we'll see Eltharion in some form. There's a bare patch in the files that looks suspicious to me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Started a game as Isabella, and all is going well. I decide it's time to take out Mannfred, so I wait until he fights a bunch of dwarves, then swoop in and destroy his army. He escapes alive and flees to Drakenhof. I take Fort Oberstyre, and then head on to Castle Templehof (which Mannfred took like 10 turns in). Kemmler is there with a full stack, but I've got Vlad with me so we should be fine. I lay siege.

On VC turn, Mannfred and Ghorst come out of nowhere. Ghorst with a full stack and Mannfred with some trash...but still enough to make me pause. I decide to give the battle a shot, and end of winning by the skin of my teeth. All I had left at the end was Isabella, 2 Vampires, Vlad, a unit of Vargheists and a unit of Blood Knights. I killed all three LLs, gaining 1 useless trait, 1 meh trait, and one okay trait.

One of the most tense TW battles I've ever fought.

EDIT: It now strikes me that I suppose I could have just confederated VC.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 8, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Yes, unfortunately. Reload and wait until she recovers.

Thanks for posting this btw. Teclis' last settlement was under siege by 3 Pesilens armies and I managed to bribe him into a confederation literally 1 turn before he died.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I posted a while ago about struggling with Empire on VH difficulty, and I feel like after many false starts, I feel like I'm finally getting it. Thanks to the guy who mentioned the AI cares more about your relative strength ranking than your actual approval rating with them. Getting a second, cheap half-stack as soon as I take marienburg, and beating up the Red Horns, Skullsmasherz, and Skarsnik early on and even if I have to trespass to do it for the diplomacy bonuses has made it much, much easier to secure my borders with other humans and dwarves, and enough trade agreements to earn the acheivement.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/928276887041961984

quote:

A brand new expansion is coming to Total War: Rome II, developers Creative Assembly announced today, four years since the game came out and three since its last expansion. Empire Divided will travel back to the third century for a new grand-scale campaign as the Roman Empire risks collapsing. It’ll feature ten playable factions, from good ol’ Rome through the goths to Armenia, and bring new problems such as plagues, excess bandits, and cults.

The paid expansion is due later this month and will be accompanied by a free update overhauling expanding Rome II’s political system.

Empire Divided will star the Rome, Gallic Rome, Palmyra, Sassanids, Gothi, Saxones, Marcomanni, Armenia, Alani, and Caledones. The first five of those are ‘heroic’ factions, boasting fancy extras like unique victory conditions, units, and event chains, while others are just there to Totally War.

Banditry is overhauled with the expansion, with different levels of trouble in different provinces, requiring careful attention lest they raid your food too much. Plagues will be rolling around too, harming territories and traveling with armies and trade routes. And the cults of Christianity, Mithraism, and Manichaeism will helpfully construct free cult buildings as you allow followers to settle in your empire, bringing helpful bonuses, but cults will also spread their own foreign culture and disorder.

Empire Divided is coming to Steam on November 30th. Check this FAQ for more information.

Launching alongside Empire Divided is the Power & Politics update, which will apply to regular Rome II (and most its DLC) as well as this new expansion. Creative Assembly say it “completely overhauls the politics system and adds a variety of new political actions for your campaign to give a far greater meaning to how you deal with other politics parties and government types.” Completing missions and winning battles will help bolster your political position too.

While the full update is due on the 30th, Power & Politics does hit public beta testing for people who fancy a peek now. To get in, right-click on Rome II in your Steam library, select Properties, go to the Betas tab, and select “power_and_politics” from the drop-down menu.

quote:

Power & Politics Update – Patch Notes

This free overhaul to ROME II’s political system introduces a host of new features, options and functionality designed to create a more subtle and intriguing political game with farther-reaching consequences. The main aims of the Power & Politics patch are:

To allow the player to exercise direct impact on their campaign through the political system.
To allow for well-defined civil wars through the new loyalty statistic and party areas of influence.
To add variety in gameplay for different factions and/or government types.

The Power & Politics Update is currently in beta, and has been developed hand-in-hand with Total War: ROME II – Empire Divided, which launches 30th November 2017. The update is also compatible with all pre-existing ROME II campaigns with the exception of Caesar In Gaul, which retains its own custom political system.

Political parties, influence and loyalty

Each political party in your empire will have two main properties – influence and loyalty. Influence is carried over from the old system and loyalty shows how satisfied they are with the ruling party.
Loyalty will increase or decrease as a direct result of political actions and from campaign action or inaction (for example, if a general belongs to a given party but is just sitting idle, he will cause that party to drop in loyalty).
Low loyalty for any party will result in a chance for a secession or civil war.
New parties may spawn within your political system, based on your imperium level and government type.

Political parties: areas of influence

Each political party in your empire will control a number of provinces, depending on their influence. The more influence a party has, the more provinces it will control. The exact provinces under the control of each party are automatically assigned by an algorithm that tries to keep all its territories close together.
In case of a secession or civil war, the new faction that spawns will have the provinces that were included in the areas of influence of the seceding parties.
The party areas of influence can be seen from the new filter available in the map screen in the campaign UI.

Political party leaders, important characters, and traits

Political parties have traits that modify the way they gain or lose loyalty. Each party has two traits.
Each political party now has a leader. The leader has one additional trait that acts like a party trait. This means that there are three traits in total that affect a party’s loyalty (2 built in the party and 1 more from the leader).
All political characters now have an additional political trait that takes effect only if they become the leader of their party. You can still see the political traits of characters that are not members of the ruling party, so you can plan how to develop them.

Government types and reforms

There are 4 possible government types: Kingdom, League (or Union), Republic, and Empire, each of them providing different bonuses and penalties (public order, number of edicts, etc). The Empire archetype provides slightly better bonuses than the other 3, and it is generally the goal of the player to reach that government type, although reforms can be made between all government types at any time.
Each faction can reform their government type at the cost of money and several turns of instability. Reforming a government is done from the Government Overview section in the Politics or Summary tab in the Faction screen.
The Empire government type is available to all cultures, however the other 3 types are available only to some cultures. For example, barbarians can only reform between Empire, Kingdom and Union (not Republic).
The faction leader is now excluded from the Cursus Honorum system (Secure Promotion). Instead, he now has a unique trait that depends on the player’s government type.

Secessions and Civil Wars

Parties with low loyalty have a chance to start a secession. In case of secession, the territories under the area of influence of the party break off from your empire, creating a new faction at war with you.
Secessions may turn into civil wars, where all parties join either you or the separatists.
Parties that start a secession or civil war are removed from your political system.

New political actions

There is a number of new political actions that can be done from the Characters tab in the Faction screen in the UI. Some of them now have direct effect on the campaign gameplay and utilize the previously underused statesmen (political characters that are not currently commanding an army).
There are a few new actions that can be taken against entire parties. They are available from the Politics tab in the Faction screen in the UI.
Some of the old political actions have been rebalanced. For example, Secure Promotion can now be used on characters from the non-ruling party as well, to increase their party loyalty.

UI/UX Changes and Improvements

The Factions screen now remembers the last tab opened by the user and it is automatically selected the next time the Factions screen is opened.
Actions taken from the Characters or Politics tab in the Faction screen no longer close the Faction screen, so the user can continue doing political actions without having to reopen it.
The Records and Statistics tabs have been combined into a single tab.
The Character tab in the Faction screen received an overhaul and a Hire Statesman option has been added so players can now recruit statesmen directly.
An Open Character Profile link has been added to the Character portrait on the campaign map that leads to the Character tab, with the character selected. Similarly, a link on the character portrait in its profile leads to the general on the campaign map.
Support for 4K resolution has been added to the game.
A Campaign filter has been added to the multiplayer/custom battles.

Bug Fixes and Balance Changes

Reduced the number of senators gained or lost from subject dilemmas.
Fixed effects given to some damaged buildings that were more beneficial than the undamaged ones.
Fixed bonuses from iron and lumber settlements to match their description.
Fixed buildings that unlocked certain units at lower levels but didn’t allow them at higher levels.
Fixed mercenary and auxiliary units that were missing abilities enabled for the original units or had vastly different statistics from the original units.
Fixed unit cards for several units to represent their actual mass.
Fixed several units that had incorrect action points or vision range for their type.
Fixed buildings that provided less garrison units as they were upgraded.
Fixed several general skills and army traditions that were providing wrong bonuses.
Fixed the time windows during which several historical characters would appear to better match their real birth and death dates.
Decreased the effectiveness of the Poison Wells and Poison Provisions spy actions.
Changed the effects of grain settlements. They now provide food to regions in their current province and adjacent provinces instead of faction-wide.
Fixed a problem with an unnamed army in the Hannibal at the Gates campaign.
Fixed several visual/UI issues (overlapping text boxes, text being cut out, spilling out, black screen when changing resolution and others)
Added an indicator for active edicts in the province list.
Fixed a problem that resulted in duplicate mercenaries being available in some regions in the Hannibal at the Gates campaign.
Disbanding an army no longer wounds agents attached to armies.
The Historical Battles of Alesia and Carthago have been rebalanced.
Several issues that were causing crashes have been fixed.
Fixed several effects that provided incorrect bonuses (melee defence, melee attack, shots per minute, range).
Fixed an issue that was causing incorrect loading screens to be displayed.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/empire-divided-power-politics-faq

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 8, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

madmac posted:

There was an interview with Andy Haul recently were he heavily hinted that it would be a long wait for Thanquol but he doesn't mind because they plan to "Do the whole IP eventually".

Ah, interesting. What this says this to me is that we will see “Total War: Warhammer, the End Times”

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Helion posted:

Ah, interesting. What this says this to me is that we will see “Total War: Warhammer, the End Times”

As long as we have an option to fight back against the stupid bits. For example as High Elves telling the gods to gently caress off with the idea that Malkeith deserves to be king after quite effectively proving to be a completely irredeemable person.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Rome 2 stuff sounds good. Looks like they're using a lot of mechanics from Warhammer.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

As long as we have an option to fight back against the stupid bits. For example as High Elves telling the gods to gently caress off with the idea that Malkeith deserves to be king after quite effectively proving to be a completely irredeemable person.

I just want to play a Nagash campaign where I can yoink the "big bad" spotlight away from Chaos

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mod Question: How do I rename buildings? I can add names to new buildings I create with a culture variants loc file but entries for existing ones don't seem to overwrite like everything else does. It can't be hardcoded/startpos because this in English text I'm editing, "War Hall" is obviously going to be something else in German or Sanscrit.

All the flavour text is easy because you can assign it to a different path (garrison_x instead of garrison_0) but the entry for building name seems linked directly.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Well, if done in accordance with the fiction, that would presumably mean playing as Tyrion.....which has its own problems, ethically speaking.

I actually think the End Times would work great as a game, since it is basically a video game plot anyway.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

sassassin posted:

Mod Question: How do I rename buildings? I can add names to new buildings I create with a culture variants loc file but entries for existing ones don't seem to overwrite like everything else does. It can't be hardcoded/startpos because this in English text I'm editing, "War Hall" is obviously going to be something else in German or Sanscrit.

All the flavour text is easy because you can assign it to a different path (garrison_x instead of garrison_0) but the entry for building name seems linked directly.

With the localization stuff, to replace anything already there you have to overwrite the entire table with a new version under the same name AFAIK. It really sucks because I don't think it worked that way originally, it happened in one of the patches between Attila/TW1 and now. One of the text prompts for settlement level won't let me change it either without a full overwrite, and I don't know if that messes with other language localization (mine is in campaign_variables, which is huge) so I never went ahead with it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

With the localization stuff, to replace anything already there you have to overwrite the entire table with a new version under the same name AFAIK. It really sucks because I don't think it worked that way originally, it happened in one of the patches between Attila/TW1 and now. One of the text prompts for settlement level won't let me change it either without a full overwrite, and I don't know if that messes with other language localization (mine is in campaign_variables, which is huge) so I never went ahead with it.

Going to have to pivot my project.

I'm pretty sure the unique landmark building chain I was hijacking is going to be hit by the dlc stick at some point anyway. The Amphitheatre of Yvresse looks deliberately lazy/placeholdery. They'll probably replace it with the Spire when Eltharion moves in.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Helion posted:

We better get a chance for Thanquol to steal the title of Everchosen when it comes up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Hunt11 posted:

They let you fight back as chaos against Norsca so I'm pretty sure we'll be okay on the choice thing.

Have they said anything about rebalancing the old world lords and heroes after the foundation? Some of the bonuses look seriously :mediocre: compared to number 2's stuff.