Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Snapchat: "To attract more Android users, we are building a new version of our Android application from the ground up"

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

$100m industrial design covered up by an ugly 10c case.

Smh

Look at this corporate whore, poo poo. Not everybody buys their devices to make some shallow fashion statement?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

That's why I have insurance. I'd much rather pay the cost of insurance plus the risk of the deductible to never have a case.

Every time I've seen those, it's been something like a $100-150 deductible, when the loving smartphone repair place up the street charges $100-150 for a screen replacement.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I honestly have preferred holding my phone in a case to no case on everything except my original Moto G. Everyone's trying to outdo the next guy on external design, but things have gotten so thin and slick that I find them uncomfortable to hold naked.

Along the same lines, being able to throw on a new glass screen protector every 6 months and have that brand new oleophobic coated smoothness is awesome.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, that too, having a case not only helps with grip, but it lets me stick one of those cheap silicone credit-card holders to it. I put numberpad locks on my house, so now instead of having to carry wallet-phone-keys, it's just phone.

Here's my sweet $10 clear TPU Pixel 2 XL case with corner bumpers and the silicone card holder:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Zero VGS posted:

Oh yeah, that too, having a case not only helps with grip, but it lets me stick one of those cheap silicone credit-card holders to it. I put numberpad locks on my house, so now instead of having to carry wallet-phone-keys, it's just phone.

Here's my sweet $10 clear TPU Pixel 2 XL case with corner bumpers and the silicone card holder:

Lmao, do you live in an actual gym locker?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

It's fun to stay at the ymca

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cases are like condoms. Great if you need them, better if you don't.

You can close the thread now. Or at least cross Tuesday off the list. What's Wednesday again? MicroSD cards?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

No, I mean locks like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-SmartThings/dp/B00AGK9KUU

You can unlock them with the keypad, or you can unlock them from anywhere with your actual phone, like if you wanna let friends in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Home Mini promo codes are going out now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Google Home Mini promo codes are going out now.

Hell yeah I ordered that bangin' pink one.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Rickets posted:

Look at this corporate whore, poo poo. Not everybody buys their devices to make some shallow fashion statement?

Yes, clearly I meant a fashion statement and not the fact that the design is supposed to make the device nice to hold and/or use.

If anything, not buying a case means I spend less money, so....

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Internet Explorer posted:

Cases are like condoms. Great if you need them, better if you don't.

You can close the thread now. Or at least cross Tuesday off the list. What's Wednesday again? MicroSD cards?

I haven't been in this thread much in the last year, but it seems like we've moved past most of these issues (but cases are new). Perhaps I should redo the blackboard?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I feel like this might be awful or restricted to Samsung phones. Or both.

Zero VGS posted:

What case is this?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I feel like this might be awful or restricted to Samsung phones. Or both.

What case is this?

Right here, $8 bucks Prime:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DRGCQB/

The text that says "CASEVASN" is a digital watermark, the case in real life is unbranded.

It is nice is you want protection while still flaunting the Pandaness of your phone I guess.

Edit:

The credit card holder things are a buck a piece on Amazon/eBay, buy a couple as after 6 months of heavy use they start to rip: https://smile.amazon.com/SHANSHUI-Silicone-Adhesive-Smartphones-Android/dp/B06WWPKB9K/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 8, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fired up my old Moto G4 Plus and it updated to the September security patch (after it installed 7.0) which surprised me greatly.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You can probably thank the KRACK exploit for that

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thanks crack KRACK!

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Getting a Nexus 5x is a bad idea at this stage right?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If you even can find one that doesn't bootloop yet

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Guacamayo posted:

Getting a Nexus 5x is a bad idea at this stage right?

Yes, having 2GB RAM in 2017 sucks rear end.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
whtas a good phone that doesn't cost $700? I have a Moto G 3rd Gen and want something better.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guacamayo posted:

whtas a good phone that doesn't cost $700? I have a Moto G 3rd Gen and want something better.

First gen Pixel/Pixel XL

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Incessant Excess posted:

Yes, having 2GB RAM in 2017 sucks rear end.

Can confirm

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Guacamayo posted:

The ad-free 64GB/4GBRam 5th Gen Moto G+ is $225 on Amazon right now. It's not a flagship phone but would be a decent upgrade over the 3rd gen.

E: compared to the 3rd gen Moto G
Massive internal storage upgrade
Double Ram
3000mah battery compared to 2470
Better camera
Much better CPU/GPU (Snapdragon 625 vs 410)
Full HD display compared to 720p
Nicer build
Fingerpring scanner
You can buy it in goooooooooold.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 8, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Guacamayo posted:

If you're in Europe get the Xiaomi A1, it's basically a G5S+ except it runs completely stock Android and will get supported for longer.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Guacamayo posted:

Huawei P10 lite, Moto G5+, Nokia 6 (there's a 4gb versión), Xiaomi A1 are a bunch that cost around 300$ and they're decent upgrades.

Edit: beaten on the A1.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Hell yeah I ordered that bangin' pink one.

Huh, I thought you could only get the white one with the promo?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I honestly have preferred holding my phone in a case to no case on everything except my original Moto G. Everyone's trying to outdo the next guy on external design, but things have gotten so thin and slick that I find them uncomfortable to hold naked.

Yeah, with how thin it is the Pixel 2 felt kind of awkward to hold without a case, and it feels great with a Spigen Thin Fit now. When I got my old Moto X from SA-Mart it came with a case, but with the curved back and plastic material it felt great without one, and it held up fine when I dropped it on the highway at 60km/h.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Thermopyle posted:

That's why I have insurance. I'd much rather pay the cost of insurance plus the risk of the deductible to never have a case.

What insurance do you use? I always thought that the insurance offered by the carrier doesn't actually cover accidental damage, but only like water damage on top of what the manufacturing warranty would cover.

Every since I demolished my Turbo's screen, I've just accepted that I'm a loving idiot, and need a beefy case on my otherwise pretty phone.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

The ad-free 64GB/4GBRam 5th Gen Moto G+ is $225 on Amazon right now. It's not a flagship phone but would be a decent upgrade over the 3rd gen.

E: compared to the 3rd gen Moto G
Massive internal storage upgrade
Double Ram
3000mah battery compared to 2470
Better camera
Much better CPU/GPU (Snapdragon 625 vs 410)
Full HD display compared to 720p
Nicer build
Fingerpring scanner
You can buy it in goooooooooold.

At this price, the G5+ is a loving steal. Bear in mind it doesn't have NFC (in America) though, if that's a feature you require/care about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sirbeefalot posted:

Huh, I thought you could only get the white one with the promo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I got the charcoal one for free.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How long did it take for you guys to get the code? Hopefully cancelling my XL2 preorder didn't screw that up for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coxswain Balls posted:

How long did it take for you guys to get the code? Hopefully cancelling my XL2 preorder didn't screw that up for me.

Cancelling the preorder is like exactly what they said would keep you from getting the code.

Like right there "as long as you didn't cancel your order"

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Coxswain Balls posted:

I didn't preorder a Pixel this year. You're just as likely to get the code as I am.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I placed the order for my Pixel 2, I specifically clicked on a link on the store page that said "Buy a Pixel 2, get a free Google Home Mini on us". Was that an error on their site?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I placed the order for my Pixel 2, I specifically clicked on a link on the store page that said "Buy a Pixel 2, get a free Google Home Mini on us". Was that an error on their site?

Did you buy a Pixel 2?

Or did you cancel the order?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I preordered an XL2 right at launch, but then cancelled that and got a Pixel 2 instead around October 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Coxswain Balls posted:

I preordered an XL2 right at launch, but then cancelled that and got a Pixel 2 instead around October 20th.

Cool, your Pixel 2 order should qualify you for a Home mini code within 4 weeks of your Pixel 2 shipping date.