Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that before or after the Simpsons had an episode that did that for real?
After

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah. Anyone who can see it care to transcribe for us?

I think it was something like "Oh, look! A falling star!" referring to Murphy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Transitioning to 'family friendly' comedy seems to be a death knell, worse than a comedian being offered serious roles. Usually because they end up starring in garbage that makes everyone sick of them.

Meet Dave in particular seemed to hugely overexpose Eddie Murphy to the point where it was a joke in itself, if I remember right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

Transitioning to 'family friendly' comedy seems to be a death knell, worse than a comedian being offered serious roles. Usually because they end up starring in garbage that makes everyone sick of them.

Meet Dave in particular seemed to hugely overexpose Eddie Murphy to the point where it was a joke in itself, if I remember right.

Jim Carey did pretty well in a few serious roles, before he went over the edge, whatever the hell happened to him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is it hearsay or a rumor that Eddie Murphy wanted to make movies that his kids could watch instead of like, Coming to America?

The Nutty Professor movies were always crap but they were popular crap. First thing I remember that really started to sink his ship was Haunted Mansion. Disney wanted it to be the next Pirates of the Carribean and solidify a whole burgeoning franchise of ride-based movies. It did not

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Accordion Man posted:

Vote for Duke!

The Critic predicting what Trumps' speeches would be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I paid good money to see Vampire in Brooklyn in a theater and it is my life’s greatest regret

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

This is the same thing that's happening to Johnny Depp.

Depp at least has the advantage of having a franchise to fall back on (I think the next Pirates movie is meant to be the last one, but he's also the villain in the Fantastic Beasts movies so he's got that on the regular for the next few years).

I'm not sure exactly when I got bored of Depp's whole "quirky" gimmick. Possibly as early as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but certainly no later than The Lone Ranger (a movie which I do actually like, even though Johnny Depp playing a Comanche is pretty oo-errr).

What about Nicolas Cage? Was it Wicker Man that finished him off as an A-lister? He was a character actor, he got his Oscar, did some action movies that all did pretty well (The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and Gone In Sixty Seconds), did some family adventure movies (National Treasure and its sequel) then Wicker Man, then I have no idea what.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Depp at least has the advantage of having a franchise to fall back on (I think the next Pirates movie is meant to be the last one, but he's also the villain in the Fantastic Beasts movies so he's got that on the regular for the next few years).

I'm not sure exactly when I got bored of Depp's whole "quirky" gimmick. Possibly as early as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but certainly no later than The Lone Ranger (a movie which I do actually like, even though Johnny Depp playing a Comanche is pretty oo-errr).

What about Nicolas Cage? Was it Wicker Man that finished him off as an A-lister? He was a character actor, he got his Oscar, did some action movies that all did pretty well (The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and Gone In Sixty Seconds), did some family adventure movies (National Treasure and its sequel) then Wicker Man, then I have no idea what.

I know that this has probably been said to hell and back but what ruined Nic Cage was tax problems. He ended up in a lot of debt to the IRS and so, IIRC, had to take pretty much any role he was offered cuz he needed the money super badly. And as a result, he appeared in a lot of very bad films, which turned him from Oscar Winner Nicholas Cage to Walking Joke Nic Cage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Steve Martin managed it fairly well, speaking of SNL alumni.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Depp has the Pirates movies, but I honestly didn’t even realize that last one even came out. Like I saw trailers and then...? Looking up it’s numbers it did not do well.

There was an IMDB update after Depp’s Mortdecai bombed that indicated they had a whole franchise planned.

BiggerBoat posted:

Steve Martin managed it fairly well, speaking of SNL alumni.

Steve Martin films make money because they don’t cost much to make. Although just looking it up, The Jerk made an absolute poo poo ton of money when adjusted for inflation.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Nov 8, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hattie Masters posted:

I know that this has probably been said to hell and back but what ruined Nic Cage was tax problems. He ended up in a lot of debt to the IRS and so, IIRC, had to take pretty much any role he was offered cuz he needed the money super badly. And as a result, he appeared in a lot of very bad films, which turned him from Oscar Winner Nicholas Cage to Walking Joke Nic Cage.

Didn't he buy a castle

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm halfway convinced that if Guy Ritchie's first Sherlock Holmes movie had come out a year or two earlier, Johnny Depp would've played Holmes instead of Robert Downey Jr. and he would've been insufferable in it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jim Carey did pretty well in a few serious roles, before he went over the edge, whatever the hell happened to him.

He's painting now, and he's actually good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21CEOlBq2YI

Calaveron posted:

Didn't he buy a castle

He sure did.

Nic Cage also bought a house in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Apparently, a lot of poo poo started to go weird, wrong, and just plain spooky when he was remodeling it: stuff would disappear, workers would get scared off, a window broke from the inside of an unoccupied room, your typical ghost story poo poo.

He did a little research into the house, and, well, here's whose house he bought.

In an attempt to appease the spirits, he bought a pyramidal tomb for himself in a local cemetery. That tomb now has a big crack in it from being struck by lightning.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Wow. That all sounds like a pretty rad Nicholas Cage movie.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nicholas Cage is gonna make a comeback, mark my words

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hawowanlawow posted:

Nicholas Cage is gonna make a comeback, mark my words

Don't call it a comeback, he's been here for years.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Inescapable Duck posted:

You aren't kidding:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
You see these guys like Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler and so on. They start their careers doing real low-budget comedies. The studios don’t have enough money invested in them to really give a poo poo so whatever be as subversive and risk-taking as you want.

So the comedian finds a schtick and runs with it. And it works. The budget is so low that it’s really easy to turn a profit.

But the one note characters you started out doing wear thin. So you start doing more varied roles. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

Whatever though, you got paid and now you’re a bankable name. But you’ve also got kids and a mortgage now and would you really want them watching your early work?

And now your movies have much bigger budgets so the studios are paying attention. And so with dozens of people writing it now, everybody wants to play it safe. So anything that won’t play well in what some rich guy thinks flyover country is like gets dropped.

But the bigger the budget the harder it’s gonna be to make that budget back, and the bigger the chance of a movie flopping. And wouldn’t you know it, the movie you made that had a huge budget and had very few jokes in it didn’t do so well.

Whatever, at least there’s animated movies. Drive down to a voice studio, go 9-5, come home in time to see your kids. No 18 hour days on set here.

Besides, the property taxes on that mansion is a bitch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: Tom Hanks: do the Oscars not like him any more? Because the only things he seems to do nowadays are biopics and other "prestige" stuff that looks like it's supposed to win Academy Awards, but he never seems to get nominated for any of it, much less win.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know he became a fervent anti-vaxer and then told people they didn't need money to be happy.

I pretty much cut the cord at that point and haven't heard from him since.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Steve Martin films make money because they don’t cost much to make. Although just looking it up, The Jerk made an absolute poo poo ton of money when adjusted for inflation.

I meant more him transitioning into more "family friendly" roles, like Father of the Bride and Parenthood. He was never as blue as Murphy but he wasn't particularly clean early on. Jerk was rated R i think.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Steve Martin takes roles these days to fund his two passions, buying art and playing banjo. He's got it all figured out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

I meant more him transitioning into more "family friendly" roles, like Father of the Bride and Parenthood. He was never as blue as Murphy but he wasn't particularly clean early on. Jerk was rated R i think.

it mainly helps that Steve Martin was a pretty well varied comic who could do a lot of different things, while Eddie mainly had 'don't look at my rear end, gays' or 'the donkey from shrek' as his two modes.

Also yea, this

Detective No. 27 posted:

Steve Martin takes roles these days to fund his two passions, buying art and playing banjo. He's got it all figured out.

He cashed out ages ago so he can afford to make family friendly semi-duds because he's just in it to buy another cool painting or fund his next banjo tour.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stevem Martin taking movie roles to finance his art addiction always reminds me of the Michael Caine quote about Caines role in Jaws 4;

Michael Caine posted:

I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: Tom Hanks: do the Oscars not like him any more? Because the only things he seems to do nowadays are biopics and other "prestige" stuff that looks like it's supposed to win Academy Awards, but he never seems to get nominated for any of it, much less win.

Bridge of Spies got Oscar buzz and I think he got nominated for Sully. He's still in the mix, but it's really tough to win an Oscar. He just got lucky twice.

I don't know if he cares anymore. I think he's far happier producing historical pieces and collecting typewriters. Kind of like Steve Martin, he found other more interesting stuff.

BiggerBoat posted:

If you read his autobiography, Steve Martin was the most boring comedian in the 70's and 80's. He couldn't even smoke pot without becoming horribly paranoid. So the transition was probably pretty easy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'd probably argue Bridge of Spies deserved better but Hanks doesn't seem too invested there. Dude just wants to make his nerdy dad movies and he already has all the clout to do it, anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Tom Hanks is very busy taking pictures of accessories.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also he's working with Lorne Michaels on a David S. Pumpkins movie.

wait i wasn't supposed to tell you about that.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Detective No. 27 posted:

He sure has
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyHipL45pwM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Bridge of Spies got Oscar buzz and I think he got nominated for Sully. He's still in the mix, but it's really tough to win an Oscar. He just got lucky twice.

I don't know if he cares anymore. I think he's far happier producing historical pieces and collecting typewriters. Kind of like Steve Martin, he found other more interesting stuff.

Sure, he's won twice and probably doesn't feel too bothered about it any longer, like you say. I'm just thinking its strange that he does stuff I feel that the Academy ordinarily likes but he doesn't get nominated for it very much.

(Disclaimer: I'm not really sure what the process for getting nominated actually is.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, he's won twice and probably doesn't feel too bothered about it any longer, like you say. I'm just thinking its strange that he does stuff I feel that the Academy ordinarily likes but he doesn't get nominated for it very much.

(Disclaimer: I'm not really sure what the process for getting nominated actually is.)

It helps to be White.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also he's working with Lorne Michaels on a David S. Pumpkins movie.

wait i wasn't supposed to tell you about that.

I would not be surprised to find out this was true. I still don't really understand the popularity of David S Pumpkins at all, but if Hanks would be happy continuing to perform as him, good for him I guess.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

SpacePig posted:

I would not be surprised to find out this was true. I still don't really understand the popularity of David S Pumpkins at all, but if Hanks would be happy continuing to perform as him, good for him I guess.

Wow, that sketch is terrible. People like it?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah. Anyone who can see it care to transcribe for us?

"Look children, it's a falling star. Make a wish."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sarcopenia posted:

Wow, that sketch is terrible. People like it?

Yeah, I know right? Here’s something even crazier. All the other stuff you don’t like? People like that too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Every interview I've seen of Hanks in like the past decade has him come across as a guy who's already reached the "prestige" level he wanted to, and now just does all his movie stuff (both acting and producing) simply because he enjoys it. Which, you know what? I can't in the least bit fault him for that. Getting to the point of comfortability in life where you work for the satisfaction of the work itself is pretty much living the dream.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Ariong posted:

Yeah, I know right? Here’s something even crazier. All the other stuff you don’t like? People like that too.

Lol dude relax.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

He drove, angry, in Drive Angry, is what. There is nothing in my heart but earnest love for that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
My favorite Nic Cage films are dumb films where he is just crazy.

Sensible triple-A Nic Cage is boring.