Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

lol @ Sprint. Real glad I didn't go work there and tie my bonus to them keeping their stock at $10/share.

its pretty funny / sad
my dad is one of these old school Buy And Hold Forever guys and he never exited that poo poo up there :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not me, option supremecy

holy

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not me again, :420:

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

WeedStockMaster1976

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Why doesn't E-Trade list WEED?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kevyn posted:

Why doesn't E-Trade list WEED?
Pretty sure you can't buy Canadian stocks directly from E*Trade any more but you can buy OTC (TWMJF)

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Won't reducing the mortgage interest deduction cap depress housing prices? I'm surprised the republicans are going this way, but i guess ultra wealthy pay in cash.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I tried to buy WEED (TWMJF) 2 weeks ago but vanguard wants me to call them. :mad: I was only going to buy 1 share for laughs, but still! "I'm trading WEED :clint: "

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Go long and buy a sandwich next year

Canadian Weed will have paid for that sandwich.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'll bummed I don't have access to great weed socks on Robinhood

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/analysis-report?t=0P0000OOR5

:raise: I still think its a pump and dump, and will get eaten by shorts soon

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
always bet on green.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I jumped into weed at 3:40 :downs:

I was 90% sure SNAP would poop the bed, but I was concerned about DAU growth and a surprise topline growth.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Well the SNAP bet paid off. Hopefully the conference call makes it plunge even more.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not allowed to hold any cannabis stocks. My company is all uptight about them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VSLR reported after the bell, earnings were meh. It was down 7% today and another 5% AH.

Thought about selling this morning ahead of earnings. I did not. :downs:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fougera posted:

Won't reducing the mortgage interest deduction cap depress housing prices? I'm surprised the republicans are going this way, but i guess ultra wealthy pay in cash.

In theory, house shoppers consider the annual tax cost and how much of it is deductible when figuring out how much mortgage they can afford, and will totally lower their target purchase price accordingly.

In practice... nah. Most shoppers have no monthly budget, rapidly go over their home price target as soon as their realtor shows them how nice the granite countertops are in that overbudget house, and do not understand how tax deductions work because they have a tax guy to figure that poo poo out for them.

Plus housing prices are partly driven in part by speculators paying cash, and if you pay cash you're not paying mortgage interest so there's zero impact on that market segment.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

In theory, house shoppers consider the annual tax cost and how much of it is deductible when figuring out how much mortgage they can afford, and will totally lower their target purchase price accordingly.

In practice... nah. Most shoppers have no monthly budget, rapidly go over their home price target as soon as their realtor shows them how nice the granite countertops are in that overbudget house, and do not understand how tax deductions work because they have a tax guy to figure that poo poo out for them.

Plus housing prices are partly driven in part by speculators paying cash, and if you pay cash you're not paying mortgage interest so there's zero impact on that market segment.
There will be a small decrease in prices due to aggregate effects on budgets but probably no more than a few percent.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
UVXY just went up 30 cents in the last 5 minutes of refreshing the quote after hours...that's more than twice what it jumped the whole trading day today...are people finally putting money into doom and gloom???

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
$40million write down on those dumb camera glasses for SNAP haha

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Leperflesh posted:

The planned deduction limit is $500,000, which only affects like 6% of all mortgages. The proposed changes also remove the mortgage subsidy for second homes, which might have a negligible effect on demand, but I doubt it.

This of course begs the question; if the previous $1,000,000 mortgage deduction had little to no effect on demand, then why was it there to begin with?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

This of course begs the question; if the previous $1,000,000 mortgage deduction had little to no effect on demand, then why was it there to begin with?

All interest paid used to be deductible, and over the years things have gotten removed one by one. But it's hard to remove something that lots of people have had for years and take advantage of. So we ended up with mortgage interest deduction as kind of a random outcome from where the deduction began.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The planned deduction limit is $500,000, which only affects like 6% of all mortgages. The proposed changes also remove the mortgage subsidy for second homes, which might have a negligible effect on demand, but I doubt it.

Raising the standard deduction to $24,000 and eliminating most other common deductions effectively eliminates the mortgage interest deduction for married couples. Interest on a $500K mortgage at 4% is only $19.9K the first year. My anecdotal experience: Today I was talking to my landlord (a realtor) about purchasing in Seattle and he noted everyone is already asking about it when putting in offers. He isn't dealing with all cash investors though. For us little people losing out on $10K/yr in tax deductions on $1M homes could be awesome if it keeps prices from continuing upward and pricing us out but it also makes me not want to buy at all because it remains cheaper to rent.

I guess we will find out if upper middle class people in places like the Georgia district that Ossoff lost (tons of $500K+ McMansions) are paying attention because if they understood how this affects them they'd probably lynch Karen Handel.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

https://imgur.com/a/mofWD

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lol

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Arzakon posted:

Raising the standard deduction to $24,000 and eliminating most other common deductions effectively eliminates the mortgage interest deduction for married couples. Interest on a $500K mortgage at 4% is only $19.9K the first year. My anecdotal experience: Today I was talking to my landlord (a realtor) about purchasing in Seattle and he noted everyone is already asking about it when putting in offers. He isn't dealing with all cash investors though. For us little people losing out on $10K/yr in tax deductions on $1M homes could be awesome if it keeps prices from continuing upward and pricing us out but it also makes me not want to buy at all because it remains cheaper to rent.

I guess we will find out if upper middle class people in places like the Georgia district that Ossoff lost (tons of $500K+ McMansions) are paying attention because if they understood how this affects them they'd probably lynch Karen Handel.

I never quite understood the point of standard deductions. Tax deductions are for when you want to subsidize one thing over another. If you want to give certain (or all) income levels a tax break, just lower the rate on those brackets.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Standard deductions make a lot of sense when you see them as a way to avoid auditing 99.999% of tax returns.

I imagine it went something like
1) let’s let people deduct charity from their taxes
2) gently caress me, look at all these $10 itemized deductions from everyone in america
3) ok everyone, y’all get a free $5000 from Uncle Sam just so I don’t need to review your dumb poo poo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I never quite understood the point of standard deductions. Tax deductions are for when you want to subsidize one thing over another. If you want to give certain (or all) income levels a tax break, just lower the rate on those brackets.
It probably helps the CBO math to maintain higher brackets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tencent announces they bought 10% of SNAP and the stock is up 10% in the subsequent 12 minutes. :what:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Tencent announces they bought 10% of SNAP and the stock is up 10% in the subsequent 12 minutes. :what:

Buy low. Watching SNAP is a ton of fun. Chart looks like a damned EKG reading.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Buy low. Watching SNAP is a ton of fun. Chart looks like a damned EKG reading.
It's easy for Tencent to "buy low" because news of them buying in will automatically jack up the price, as we've seen.

It topped out at a 33% gain from the $12.00 pre-announcement price around 6:30am ET. We're settling around 17% up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Match owns Tinder which now has 2.5 million paying members.

:what:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

PPC up 6.66% premarket, thanks chicken-eating persons

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

DNK posted:

Standard deductions make a lot of sense when you see them as a way to avoid auditing 99.999% of tax returns.

I imagine it went something like
1) let’s let people deduct charity from their taxes
2) gently caress me, look at all these $10 itemized deductions from everyone in america
3) ok everyone, y’all get a free $5000 from Uncle Sam just so I don’t need to review your dumb poo poo

Right, but giving everyone a $12,000 / $24,000 itemized deduction because you don't want to review 175 million $10 deductions seems rather counter productive. If it was set at like $1,000 / $2,000 it would make sense, but with such high levels, it just appears to unnecessarily complicate the tax code.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Right, but giving everyone a $12,000 / $24,000 itemized deduction because you don't want to review 175 million $10 deductions seems rather counter productive. If it was set at like $1,000 / $2,000 it would make sense, but with such high levels, it just appears to unnecessarily complicate the tax code.

Yes, the standard deduction is really the main thing that makes tax law overly complicated.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Droo posted:

Yes, the standard deduction is really the main thing that makes tax law overly complicated.

Did I say it was the main thing that makes the tax law overly complicated?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I say this as an ill informed citizen’s retrospective on congressional motivation to increase the standard deduction:
•Congress adds in provisions that affect taxes. These are often deductions and/or expand the scope of what can be deducted.
•Over time, this has led to deduction inflation where careful accounting can make huge portions of expenditures deductible.
•Congress is incapable of repealing / restricting existing tax deductions.
•Congress will, however, increase the standard deduction to the point where it will effectively invalidate itemization for most citizens.

From my point of view, this is leveling the playing field; most of America will be getting their maximum refund without itemizing. In combination with bracket jiggling (raising taxes, essentially), this could even be a sensible plan.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Jesus Christ, ONCS went from 1.25 yesterday to ~2.15 currently, apparently mostly based on the new CEO that got hired. And they're going to reveal some medical trial data on Saturday, that's supposedly very promising. I'm so goddamn conflicted, because I went in at 1.32 a couple of days ago.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What's the difference in complication between a $1000 standard deduction and a $10,000 standard deduction?

Edit: also it's not like the only deduction people have is $10 charitable donations, there are a lot of other deductions, state and local taxes primarily along with mortgage interest.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Jesus Christ, ONCS went from 1.25 yesterday to ~2.15 currently, apparently mostly based on the new CEO that got hired. And they're going to reveal some medical trial data on Saturday, that's supposedly very promising. I'm so goddamn conflicted, because I went in at 1.32 a couple of days ago.

You made like 70% on a penny stock...there should be no conflict! GTFO of that position.