Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabf
May 29, 2015

Xander77 posted:

I do have wonder what it takes for a pub team to actually kick someone. Isn't it great that you can't kick someone on the other team?

Yeah cuz I don't want the guy I'm owning to get mad and call a votekick on me for cheating and probably have it succeed more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EorayMel posted:

bootleg tf2 fireworks

These need to be made canon.

I got a flowery free weapon skin from a contract, was surprising that they basically give you a new weapon with said skin, but kinda neat. I used it to get a Scorch Shot to go with the Pyro's fancy hat.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

crabf posted:

Yeah cuz I don't want the guy I'm owning to get mad and call a votekick on me for cheating and probably have it succeed more often than not.

I'd just be happy if the servers I go on would just enable any sort of vote kicking, what's the point of literally having nothing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
where are you finding non-valve servers, lmao

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So does pyro's shotgun feel almost pointless to anyone else now

like his flamethrower is so murderous now that the time taken to switch to it often isn't worth the loss in flamethrower time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Slime posted:

like his flamethrower is so murderous now that the time taken to switch to it often isn't worth the loss in flamethrower time

it's always been that way though

the only reason to switch weapons is for enemies outside flamethrower range or for a specific high-damage combo like airblast into flare (rip reserve shooter, rip axtinguisher)

crabf
May 29, 2015

QwertySanchez posted:

I'd just be happy if the servers I go on would just enable any sort of vote kicking, what's the point of literally having nothing?

i didn't say i'm glad there's no votekicking at all though, i said i'm glad that you can't kick people on the other team because that would be used way more often to kick team carries than actual cheaters

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Who thought it was a good idea to make people wait until the end of the round to get credit for their contracts. Thanks rear end in a top hat at valve, but some of us have to go to work and stuff, too bad theres 3 engies on each team so the round may not end for days. Welp guess you lose that progress you made on your contract.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JB50 posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make people wait until the end of the round to get credit for their contracts. Thanks rear end in a top hat at valve, but some of us have to go to work and stuff, too bad theres 3 engies on each team so the round may not end for days. Welp guess you lose that progress you made on your contract.

Someone is trying to push through that 2fort contract!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Someone is trying to push through that 2fort contract!

Pretty much any CTF map, but it can apply to any map without a timer.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I pity the person who got to 99 points on their first round.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I had to spend at least three rounds on each of 2fort, Turbine and Hightower. At least other players on Hightower believed me when I said the round has to end for contract points to count.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

nielsm posted:

I had to spend at least three rounds on each of 2fort, Turbine and Hightower. At least other players on Hightower believed me when I said the round has to end for contract points to count.

I was on Turbine and some guy was whining about the round not ending so he could complete his contract. We vote kicked him, LOL.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Jabor posted:

the only reason to switch weapons is for enemies outside flamethrower range or for a specific high-damage combo like airblast into flare (rip reserve shooter, rip axtinguisher)

It used to be that Pyros running the shotgun countered Pyros running flares, but the flamethrower does so much damage now that most of the time there's no reason (or even time) to pull out your secondary. All you can do is accept your fate

Also I've noticed that for some reason, I kill people faster with the Backburner than stock (without any back crits), even though they do the same base damage. I first noticed it when I was playing against my friend on a community server - he was using Backburner and I was using stock, and he was consistently outdamaging me even when I got the jump on him (again without the use of backcrits). Another friend said it might be something to do with lingering particles? I don't know how the new flamethrower works. :(

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
So with the new flamethrower mechanics do you still win pyro v pyro by backing away and having the other pyro walk into it or is the entire dynamic changed?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

So with the new flamethrower mechanics do you still win pyro v pyro by backing away and having the other pyro walk into it or is the entire dynamic changed?

It feels like the dynamic has changed. I haven't noticed any particular benefits from backing away while flaming.

Jabor posted:

What even is the point of reserve shooter on pyro anymore? Like...the flamethrower is so good that the time spent pulling it out even with the switch speed bonus is time wasted because you're not melting them. And that's not even considering that it got nerfed not to work with airblast anymore AND airblast doesn't even knock them into the sky. It may as well be a soldier exclusive but there's a reason soldier didn't really use it much. If you've popped them into the air with a rocket the correct play is have another rocket in the clip so you can hit them in the air.

Slime fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 8, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The idea for the new Reserve Shooter seems to be to punish others doing jumps, not for you to make combos.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's kind of weirdly niche.

granted, outside of that niche it's a pretty functional shotgun, but you're taking less ammo for something that probably won't come up while you're still in a range that a shotgun is effective

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nielsm posted:

The idea for the new Reserve Shooter seems to be to punish others doing jumps, not for you to make combos.

But you're unlikely to land a decisive hit on someone who's jumping anyway, because the point of a jump is GOTTA GO FAST. Maybe if they're jumping right at you but again the flamethrower is powerful and you probably want to go for the airblast and burn. Or if you're a soldier, smack them with a rocket in mid air.

ninjewtsu posted:

it's kind of weirdly niche.

granted, outside of that niche it's a pretty functional shotgun, but you're taking less ammo for something that probably won't come up while you're still in a range that a shotgun is effective

Basically the niche is too small and the disadvantage too big. How many times is the perfect chance for the modern reserve shooter going to come up compared to times when the regular shotgun would be vastly superior? And that's even assuming a good chance to use a shotgun over your primary or some other, non-shotgun secondary.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Nah, you see, if you use the primary weapon that defines your class you're a W+M1 scrub. A true gentleman steps out of flamethrower range to use his secondary after a gentle touch of the flame.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Minicrits don't have damage falloff, right?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Correct. That said, if your shotgun is at a range where falloff is a factor, you're probably not going to hit many pellets

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

The problem is that only three classes have any reason at all to jump in combat, jumps tend to increase someone's distance from you, and shotguns have a short range. In the end, the gimmick is only even usable against scouts and soldiers, and what kind of dumb fool pyro is going to try to shotgun-duel a soldier?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The paints would be cool if they were applied to an item, and didn't create a new version of it. It really kills my interest in getting any.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, I got some weapons I use that aren't strange or killstreaked, or the killstreak kit is cheap enough that I don't care, where I can replace it without too much stress. Black Box, Tomislav, the whip, etc

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Slime posted:

How's comp handling new pyro (especially highlander where there's actually going to be one always)? I was worried Valve would wreck the pyro with the update, and although I can't airblast + flare combo like I used to, I'm still getting just as many kills burning everything instead with the huge damage boost. It's kind of a wash on Valve servers but I'm curious what it's like now playing against some of the game's better players in an organized match. I'm not going to pretend flare punches were the most complex and skillful tactic only a few could hope to achieve, but it feels like they replaced it with something just as effective and a hell of a lot easier.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did the Holiday Punch get stealth-buffed, or is there some weird new glitch for it?

Running into a heavy abusing it - every punch was a crit, he would punch right out of the taunt, and he would (of course) happily switch to the tomislav if airblasted. His secondary was the shotgun, so he wasn't crit-boosted or anything.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Maybe it was the crit pumpkins?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nucleus.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I had a 120 point game as Heavy AND WE loving LOST HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN I KILLED EVERYONE FOR YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agoat posted:

I had a 120 point game as Heavy AND WE loving LOST HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN I KILLED EVERYONE FOR YOU

I bet they didn't know they were supposed to stand on the point/by little cart.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

I bet they didn't know they were supposed to stand on the point/by little cart.

Pubbies are the worst. They always want to comment on the class I'm playing even though I'm literally doing contracts in casual mode.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
It's been said a million times but I'm yet to find a game that can match the sheer joy of rocket jumping

Also my intentionally misspelled kill bind sends pubbies wild which will never not be hilarious

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

8 Ball posted:

It's been said a million times but I'm yet to find a game that can match the sheer joy of rocket jumping

Also my intentionally misspelled kill bind sends pubbies wild which will never not be hilarious

My current name is I taunt after every kill. If I actually do it they scream about how I'm a human being kid who's retarded. If I don't they bitch that I didn't taunt.

It's beautiful. No matter what I do, I get the salt.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I still want that server plugin that forces taunt after every kill

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

8 Ball posted:

Rj maps in tf2 and kz in cs are purestrain gaming ambrosia

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
God drat it finally I made 3 stars on Turbine, gently caress that poo poo map forever.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm so sad they ruined the panic attack. It's just not the same weapon anymore, it's just yet another slight variation on the shotgun as opposed to being a really fun and unique shotgun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the old version was such absolute garbage though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

the old version was such absolute garbage though

Not if you used it RIGHT it wasn't. I had a lot of fun walking around with it fully loaded and just deleting whatever fool dared get near me.

edit: also what's the point of the sandman now

like is there ever a situation where it's a good idea to equip

Slime fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 13, 2017