Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what exactly does the fact that Infinite became Infinite because Shadow was a dick to him contribute to the story? Shadow''s barely in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Augus posted:

what exactly does the fact that Infinite became Infinite because Shadow was a dick to him contribute to the story? Shadow''s barely in the game.

Makes the world feel bigger?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mikedawson posted:

I also made Hank the Chog.

(He's borrowing Monica's camera)

this is pretty :krad:

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GSW4pOHNg

Smdh that there are still people not on board with this soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a2wEMeKJ7g

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mikedawson posted:

The game was like 8 hours and the finale felt like at least 2.

im on mission 20 after 2 hours, i think this 8 hour statement may be incorrect

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It took me 3 and a half

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 4, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I beat the game tonight and had a really fun time with it. Yeah you can beat it real quick, but it's got replay value. I'm deffo going back to collect red rings and play all the bonus stages and all that sort of nonsense.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Sonic Forces is great, I can't stop doing the challenges too get new gear. Really digging the music in the Avatar stages. Also the SOS missions were a great idea I like this one person who had a Cat with the Asteroid gun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i wish the game were longer because i think it is fun, yes? but like, why are there so many avatar outfits and theres like eight actual avatar levels

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

i wish the game were longer because i think it is fun, yes? but like, why are there so many avatar outfits and theres like eight actual avatar levels

Because OC designing is fun and because SOS missions, red rings, and speedrunning encourage replaying levels.

Also, I think that's about as much levels as Modern Sonic gets. Maybe 1 or 2 less?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

time to wait another five years for more fun sonic :(

if we get any at all, considering forces is not reviewing well

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My cowboy bear is a good, good friend and this game is rather fun. I'm satisfied with it after having marathoned it over voice with the boyfriend.

I think it was a good decision to sell it at $40, while I had fun I definitely think $60 would've been too much.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My friend is playing now and she put it best like this to me

quote:

This game is hella weird, it feels like there was no budget for it at all. like, even the video files for the animatics are like, jpeged to poo poo, the levels are also really really short. Cut the speed by like 25% and I'm sure the game would be tons better and the plot is really really vague and nonsensical past the first level. 'sonic is on the moon, lets steal a space ship' Then Espio apparently runs from infinite or something? It felt like I was in a daze playing these levels. I'm on level 7 and S ranked all of them so far with minimal effort.

Her basic feeling is like mine, this is a fun game that's hampered by short levels and it feels

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

corn in the bible posted:

if we get any at all, considering forces is not reviewing well

Well it's never stopped Sega before.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Game does have some of that oddly familiar Sega jank to it and it definitely feels like it was a bit of a rush job. That said though I still definitely enjoyed playing through it and will absolutely be going back through to replay stages and stuff. Me and my boyfriend started calling it "Ow the Colors 2" because it's got all this edge like a Shadow sequel but plays a whole lot like colors.

As far as overall quality goes... I'd place it somewhere behind Colors proper I think. It doesn't feel quite as polished as the stages in that game do but there's some fun nuances to some of the stage designs. Definitely not the disaster people were predicting in my opinion.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

My friend is playing now and she put it best like this to me

Her basic feeling is like mine, this is a fun game that's hampered by short levels and it feels

It feels like they developed solely for the Switch then upscaled afterwards - the game is only 13GB in an age when the shiniest AAA titles are pushing 50GB+, and while it was less noticeable on my TV, on a monitor the cutscenes are very conspicuously low-res. But then the levels themselves are absolutely swimming in background detail and finely crafted visual design, which doesn't really add up to budget or time constraints, but the short levels might indicate that they were thinking of on-the-go play first and foremost. 'Hasty Switch port' is the only thing I can think of to make all of these things add up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Short levels aren't exactly a new thing either. Colors had a couple of sub minute levels even if some were just sections cut from the act 1 stage with a new gimmick. I think it's a fairly logical direction for Sonic gameplay to go, though if you're going to do short levels you probably some more of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Short levels aren't exactly a new thing either. Colors had a couple of sub minute levels even if some were just sections cut from the act 1 stage with a new gimmick. I think it's a fairly logical direction for Sonic gameplay to go, though if you're going to do short levels you probably some more of them.

Counting boss fights, the extra missions and the 3 exclusive Shadow missions there are 45 levels in the whole game, which is a fairly decent length (though Colors still beats it out if you include the Game Land stages).

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sonic Colors also had stages that weren't bite-sized, though. Also, yknow, fun level design.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean if we're gonna count the extra stages in Forces we might as well also count the Game Land stages from colors since they're probably comparable in complexity.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As much as people, including myself, were down on the final boss, I actually really like it now that I've played it. The first two phases are great and it can be tough to manage your positioning in the avatar phase so you don't get trapped, and while the final phase is the second Colours redo in as many games, it's still an absolute blast to play - great music and visuals and just the right pacing. It's definitely my favourite take on that style of boss.

Now I've got a bunch of side content to do, six more avatars to get achievements for and play dressup with and apparently 0.1% of the world still to take back from Eggman, so I'm pretty happy with my purchase overall. Nothing special, but pleasantly fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 8, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can we talk about the only part that really matters: how much the soundtrack owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pconzi7JD9U

I may have a weakness for corny lyrics, but I love how every avatar level has them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As much as people, including myself, were down on the final boss, I actually really like it now that I've played it. The first two phases are great and it can be tough to manage your positioning in the avatar phase so you don't get trapped,

Equip the lightning whip and mash R2.

You get unlimited i-frames with 0 down time.

They might nerf that eventually but Holy poo poo it was hilarious when I did it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Amppelix posted:

I can't understand this opinion. He feels so much worse than in Generations to me. He has weird momentum all over the place, especially when jumping (for example if you let go of the directions when jumping you will not slow down at all but if you press backwards sonic will stop instantly in the air), and super inconsistent physics with slopes (they were also bad in generations but at least they were consistently bad).

I mean fine if you enjoyed it, but I'm just confused.

Beating the game, I'm still of the same opinion as when I watched the leaked streams in that Classic Sonic is fine. The behavior you described isn't really a problem, and slope interaction isn't really emphasized in this game (it wasn't either in non-Sonic 4 dimps games either but w/e). It isn't nor shouldn't be the standard for 2D sonic since Mania exists, but it's not really bad or a problem here for what they do.

The only controls I'm annoyed by is the avatar's for jumping, since it feels very Sonic Advance 1 "have zero acceleration in the air", so slow platforming sections feels like you control a heavy brick when you come from a full stop, but you'll go flying in the air if you have a decent-to-small running lead. And even that is mostly a minor annoyance since, as far as I've played yet till the post game, most of avatar platforming still lines up roughly with you going through with decent speed.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Most of the Colors Act 1's are at least over 2 minutes if you just go forward at a decent pace.

The main modern sonic stages here, if you just boost through half-decently, will be somewhere between a minute-1:30. They are really drat short when you compare.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 8, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Augus posted:

I mean if we're gonna count the extra stages in Forces we might as well also count the Game Land stages from colors since they're probably comparable in complexity.

Forces does sort of feel like a paired down Colours sequel. They even have the quick step mapped to the control stick and the Wisp Capsule boost.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Y’all need help

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Best Buy's Black Friday ad lists Sonic Forces at $24.99

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Forces is Colors with way less focus on... anything but story. Just when levels start to get fun they end, and the 7 bonus levels I've played so far are embarrassingly short to the point of being groan inducing. Honestly it's easily the worst boost game and I would place it just above black knight if I had to rank it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dang, Forces is getting killed. Those 2.5 months where Sonic was a good series again were fun, see you in another 23 years.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Forces is fun and I'm having a nice time with it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's definitely fun (and very funny) but I can't believe that my first playthrough of Mania was longer than my first playthrough of Forces. The next game definitely needs to focus on one gameplay style again or do something completely different like Lost World did.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

So I enjoyed the game a lot. The stages are probably the best designed in the boost era. The controls took some of the good and some of the bad from Lost World. Classic Sonic still doesn't feel quite right to me but he's still far better than he was in Generations. It's about the same length as Colours and Generations and would be way longer than Unleashed if that game didn't have the Werehog so I'm okay with the length. The story was lighthearted, which was a relief. Though it borders on false advertising to have Shadow and Chaos in the trailer when we don't get to fight either.

Not perfect, but a Good Game :yeah:

This guys a fuckin' cop!!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
After seeing Forces is bad I bought a used copy of Unleashed instead because I had never seen or played that.

Which is worse?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Unleashed Night is garbage, Unleashed Day is gaming ambrosia.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Twerk from Home posted:

After seeing Forces is bad I bought a used copy of Unleashed instead because I had never seen or played that.

Which is worse?

Unleashed is way better, but you gotta accept that you need to explore around and collect medals to play more stages. That and the werehog is gonna be slow/weak on the first playthrough when you don't know shortcuts.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i found Unleashed to be basically unplayably bad in both level design and also framerate regardless of whether it was a day or night stage

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i found Unleashed to be basically unplayably bad in both level design and also framerate regardless of whether it was a day or night stage

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i wish your species choice didnt have a gameplay thing linked to it. bird's double jump is not as useful as i thought it would be but i dont want to lose my weird-rear end beak face now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I watched someone go through the last stage of unleashed the other day and it was unbelievably bad