Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pick posted:

I hate that scene because so many men took it as advice.

I felt that "So you ARE going to hurt women?!" at the end makes the author's POV on this 'advice' and mindset that can lead to date rape pretty drat clear and unambiguous. Granted I dunno what happens after said scene though.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Solefald posted:

I think she's mega brave for dealing with that whole situation, I can't even fathom what she must have been feeling.

Absolutely. BTW the worldstar editor put in a Thug Life animation for those of us willing to watch that far.

When she tells him he has no luck with women because of his bad attitude.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Pick posted:

This is one of those situations where if you see it unfolding IRL, please step in. There's this new narrative of "oh, don't be a white knight, that's the worst and so pathetic." No, it isn't. If you see someone in trouble, help that person. She handles it bravely but she's clearly terrified and really could have used someone's help, also just to hear she was in the right so she doesn't come out in doubt as to whether this insane person had a point. It's traumatizing for people to be socially condemned for absolutely no reason, very jarring.

tbh if it were a dude i would probably just stand there and gawk with my phone in hand so i'm not sure if i would do any different for a lady. who's to say that she didn't have a gun on hand to ice him on the spot or beat him senseless with one of those extendo-batons?

Delthalaz posted:

Absolutely. BTW the worldstar editor put in a Thug Life animation for those of us willing to watch that far.

When she tells him he has no luck with women because of his bad attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk5_krEPfcM&t=323s

for convenience and hilarity

navier-stoked fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 8, 2017

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
lol ^^^

As a dude, I can safely say, this is exactly why I prefer the company of women as friends. In general, modern dudes kind of suck.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 8, 2017

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
i don't really support having fuckloads of guns but maybe they serve to negate the discrepancies in muscle mass and stature found between men and women. a woman with a gun can put an rear end in a top hat into the ground just as easily as a dude with a gun. is america the most gender equal place on earth???

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

No

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

you still have housewives lol

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

yeah you're right but it would have been cool if she would have shot him on the spot for being menacing. cops do it all the time.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Well yeah

That guy is probably going to start doing badder stuff soon

He's already meeting women in real life and trying to shout them down

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mojo1701a posted:

What makes it worse is that Mac is the audience stand-in listening to this and saying, "That's pretty much rape."

:golfclap: I appreciated this.

Nah, you're misunderstanding that scene, bro. Because if the girl said "no" then the answer obviously is "no"... but she’s not gonna say that, because of the implication.

Pick posted:

It is rape.

For the record, the word never comes up in the conversation, but I think the full exchange makes it pretty clear that the writers would agree.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Fartbox posted:

Well yeah

That guy is probably going to start doing badder stuff soon

He's already meeting women in real life and trying to shout them down

let's just hope that he is energized by a craving for internet points and not a seething rage for women and/or humanity

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pretty much any dude who is getting angry/ aggressive at a girl will shut down the second someone else cuts in. A simple "is everything ok here" gives the girl a lifeline to get out of a lovely situation.

Worst case scenario if you misjudged the situation and it's just two people in a relationship arguing or something the girl will probably tell you to gently caress off and you can get on with your day.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Pick posted:

It is rape.

Oh no doubt about that.

fruit on the bottom posted:

For the record, the word never comes up in the conversation, but I think the full exchange makes it pretty clear that the writers would agree.

Mac was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and it was not working at all.

I love that scene because it shows exactly what a sexual predator would make up just to avoid being called a rapist. "It's not technically rape..."

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ranbo das posted:

Pretty much any dude who is getting angry/ aggressive at a girl will shut down the second someone else cuts in. A simple "is everything ok here" gives the girl a lifeline to get out of a lovely situation.

The issue is that someone actually has to do that and most everyone, in my country at least, is a bitch-made baby who can't be bothered to actually give a gently caress anyways.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ranbo das posted:

Worst case scenario if you misjudged the situation and it's just two people in a relationship arguing or something the girl will probably tell you to gently caress off and you can get on with your day.

Yeah exactly. Even another woman doing this is usually fine, it’s really change between 1 to 1 and a two on one, less because of any inherent physical strength or anything, it’s just when something starts to be a group of people versus one person other people are more likely to come in and join the group, just one of those things

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

ranbo das posted:

you're not wrong but i'd personally prefer ladies kneecapping dudes like this with their firearm than being made to feel like a chauvinist some of the time :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, I am not saying that the writers are saying it’s good, I’m saying that they’re saying that works, which often it can, and a lot of people watching don’t care if it’s right or wrong, the care of it works, it’s a new idea.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The joke with Dennis is also that he brings mundane situations to awful ones with how he thinks of them. Bringing a girl out on a boat is romantic, and Mac is totally with him until he brings up the "implication" stuff because, yeah, if a girl comes out for a romantic stay on your boat, it's probably going to lead to sex, in the same sense that bringing a woman on a trip to Paris will probably lead to sex; it's a romantic place. If his plan was just to use the boat to get girls by bringing them out and romancing them, there'd be nothing that wrong with it. It's the same as the Dennis system; Dennis is a good looking, charming guy and it's not difficult for him to find women to go out with him. By overthinking it, he ends up emotionally abusing them, because he is crazy.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ReadingZucchini posted:

i don't really support having fuckloads of guns but maybe they serve to negate the discrepancies in muscle mass and stature found between men and women. a woman with a gun can put an rear end in a top hat into the ground just as easily as a dude with a gun. is america the most gender equal place on earth???

God made man, and Samuel Colt made men equal.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009

ranbo das posted:

If you are ever a bystander to a situation like this, and aren't spineless, this is the correct response. Then offering to call her a cab or wait with her until she hails her own Uber. Or call the police if the situation escalates.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blade Runner posted:

The joke with Dennis is also that he brings mundane situations to awful ones with how he thinks of them. Bringing a girl out on a boat is romantic, and Mac is totally with him until he brings up the "implication" stuff because, yeah, if a girl comes out for a romantic stay on your boat, it's probably going to lead to sex, in the same sense that bringing a woman on a trip to Paris will probably lead to sex; it's a romantic place. If his plan was just to use the boat to get girls by bringing them out and romancing them, there'd be nothing that wrong with it. It's the same as the Dennis system; Dennis is a good looking, charming guy and it's not difficult for him to find women to go out with him. By overthinking it, he ends up emotionally abusing them, because he is crazy.

yea Dennis' crazy poo poo is a good joke because he starts his plans as a normal, attractive, guy planning something harmless like 'I bet if I took a lady out on a nice boat ride she'd have a fun time and probably be down to party if it goes well' and then because he's a crazy sociopath it goes to 'also, like, there's nowhere to run on a boat so, ya know...' and everyone around him goes 'wait what was that last bit?' because the entire joke is that as terrible as his friends are even they recognize that Dennis is extra bad.

Much like many, many, other shows the writers explicitly say 'hey this guy is not a good guy, he's actually a terrible person with deep, dangerous, issues' and yet somehow people like these morons see it and go 'yea, what a hero'.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solefald posted:

This is what incels keep saying to prove she's not scared of him. It's really not easy to walk away even when you're in a busy environment.

To be fair I have no survival instincts as a woman and am amazed I've made it this long.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
yikes, that video. did that lady end up being crowned Queen of the Stacies and get an organized harassment campaign against her?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pick posted:

Also, I am not saying that the writers are saying it’s good, I’m saying that they’re saying that works, which often it can, and a lot of people watching don’t care if it’s right or wrong, the care of it works, it’s a new idea.

OTOH, 'the implication' of being stuck on a boat literally happened to me, my mom, my brother and his now wife + step daughter when we chartered a boat to cruise our small coastline for the day. Towards the end, the crazy old dude stubbornly insisted we have dinner + sleepover on the boat and fortunately I talked him into just dinner with no sleepover, since we had jobs to get back to the next goddamn day.

Thankfully, all we had to suffer was some poorly cooked fish, and my brother's now-wife worrying herself to tears. But even that might not have been needed, if I'd just watched Sunny in Philadelphia at that time, seen that scene first and been aware of *the implication* of not knowing how the gently caress to operate a boat back to harbor if we had to knock the poo poo out of that old fart.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sand Dan posted:

yikes, that video. did that lady end up being crowned Queen of the Stacies and get an organized harassment campaign against her?

I'm sure this group of maladjusted socially stunted men with major woman issues reacted very calmly to a video of a woman completely blowing one of them ranting at her off.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

yea Dennis' crazy poo poo is a good joke because he starts his plans as a normal, attractive, guy planning something harmless like 'I bet if I took a lady out on a nice boat ride she'd have a fun time and probably be down to party if it goes well' and then because he's a crazy sociopath it goes to 'also, like, there's nowhere to run on a boat so, ya know...' and everyone around him goes 'wait what was that last bit?' because the entire joke is that as terrible as his friends are even they recognize that Dennis is extra bad.

Much like many, many, other shows the writers explicitly say 'hey this guy is not a good guy, he's actually a terrible person with deep, dangerous, issues' and yet somehow people like these morons see it and go 'yea, what a hero'.

There was a straight up serial rapist/murderer (Oba Chandler, look him up if you're curious because I don't want to link the extremely sobering accounts of his crimes) whose MO was offering women a ride on his boat, taking them out to watch the sunset and putting the moves on them, and then getting pushy and threatening if they weren't down to have sex with him.

I'd never really connected this to "because of the implication" before but it's kinda weird to consider that the Dennis Reynolds sexual coercion plan was actually the modus operandi of a real life serial killer.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
So yea, don't take boat rides with people you don't trust applies to men and women IMO. Cripes, you'd think mobsters throwing bodies off them in pop fiction would've made that point clear well before Sunny in Philadelphia of all things did. Now move the gently caress on please, more rear end gravy from their stupid new cesspool forum.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 8, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
That video reminds me of this crazy dude that I know that is somewhere on the incel spectrum. A friend of ours was talking to him on Grindr not realizing we knew him or that he was crazy, discovered he was crazy and blocked him. Then crazy dude comes to us demanding that we get an answer from sane dude on why he blocked him after he realizes we are like actual friends with him. We were honest, "you creeped him out." "No I didn't. I keep detailed notes on every interaction I have so I can prove that I did nothing weird!"

I guess they consider it a chicken/egg problem but it seems like the women that don't give the incels a chance dodged a bullet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know what? Let's just all stay off the water. The water isn't our turf, nothing good happens there.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Fathis Munk posted:

Insipidus actually means tasteless. Like bland, pointless.

Aladdin Insipidus Sulemenagic Jackson the third.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pick posted:

This is one of those situations where if you see it unfolding IRL, please step in.

Pretty sure if some dude sitting near by had just turned around and said: "shut the gently caress up, dude" it would have been enough.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intervening is a much harder sell, especially when the antagonist is quite obviously unhinged, since fairly recently there was the case where the interveners got loving stabbed to death (when an unhinged white man was yelling racial slurs at muslim women)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2-die-after-being-stabbed-by-man-who-yelled-racial-slurs-at-muslim-women-police-say/

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

univbee posted:

Intervening is a much harder sell, especially when the antagonist is quite obviously unhinged, since fairly recently there was the case where the interveners got loving stabbed to death (when an unhinged white man was yelling racial slurs at muslim women)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2-die-after-being-stabbed-by-man-who-yelled-racial-slurs-at-muslim-women-police-say/

Portland, :lol:

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Giraffe posted:

God made man, and Samuel Colt made men equal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0NYTnNzd2w

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
How do you guys cheer yourselves up after reading this poo poo?

Genuinely didn't see it getting worse than the mild cringe of that documentary from years back.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Everything is getting worse mate

That is the power of the internet

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
heyyy whaddayaknow. Reddit finally takes out some of its trash, news at 11.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/08/reddit-bans-misogynist-community-in-anti-violence-crackdown/

EDIT: Seems like the catalyst for the ban could've also been one of the links in there that leads to this one, dated barely a week ago:

http://www.care2.com/causes/why-hasnt-reddit-shut-down-this-misogynistic-group.html

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 8, 2017

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty sure if some dude sitting near by had just turned around and said: "shut the gently caress up, dude" it would have been enough.

Pick posted:

This is one of those situations where if you see it unfolding IRL, please step in. There's this new narrative of "oh, don't be a white knight, that's the worst and so pathetic." No, it isn't. If you see someone in trouble, help that person. She handles it bravely but she's clearly terrified and really could have used someone's help, also just to hear she was in the right so she doesn't come out in doubt as to whether this insane person had a point. It's traumatizing for people to be socially condemned for absolutely no reason, very jarring.

There's definitely a way to do it. My wife was talking pretty angrily about something that she was upset about and this guy assumed she was upset at me (which I totally can see why he thought that, she was pretty upset). Did the whole "is this guy bothering you?" thing, but of course had to grab my arm and wouldn't let go through the whole thing. My wife is fairly mousy and panicked a bit and couldn't find her words, which I think made this guy think she was afraid of me. I tried to explain but got a "shut your loving mouth" from him. In any case we had each other just about by the throats when she talked him down. After everything was clear he made some weird comment about how I should "make sure you treat her well man!" Which to fair was an awkward attempt to dissolve the tension but it came off as really condescending.

Real weird situation to be in and pretty jarring. I've felt conflicted about it because if my wife was being harassed I would want someone to step in, but we felt really gross about the whole thing. As gross as it was I'd rather go through that misfire with an over aggressive dickhead a hundred times then not have someone like him there when it mattered.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Actually there is an even newer narrative of black knighting where they step in to help the guy creep on her or convince her he isn't a creeper.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There's definitely a way to do it. My wife was talking pretty angrily about something that she was upset about and this guy assumed she was upset at me (which I totally can see why he thought that, she was pretty upset). Did the whole "is this guy bothering you?" thing, but of course had to grab my arm and wouldn't let go through the whole thing. My wife is fairly mousy and panicked a bit and couldn't find her words, which I think made this guy think she was afraid of me. I tried to explain but got a "shut your loving mouth" from him. In any case we had each other just about by the throats when she talked him down. After everything was clear he made some weird comment about how I should "make sure you treat her well man!" Which to fair was an awkward attempt to dissolve the tension but it came off as really condescending.

Real weird situation to be in and pretty jarring. I've felt conflicted about it because if my wife was being harassed I would want someone to step in, but we felt really gross about the whole thing. As gross as it was I'd rather go through that misfire with an over aggressive dickhead a hundred times then not have someone like him there when it mattered.

You got black knighted the CHAD saw a manlet like you with someone out of his league and decided to AMOG you. You broke frame and ultimately lost value in your wifes eyes. He likely slipped her his number and they have been texting since.

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
this recent talk about being a Good Samaritan is pretty encouraging. :unsmith: and for the responses saying you could get blow back too: yeah, you could, but you should realize that has a low chance of happening. You likely have a better chance of dying in a car crash vs some stranger stabbing you cause you stepped in

Anyway, it looks like the incels have discovered why they got banned from reddit!

Also, let’s take a look into the daily life of roastie and virgin!

Poor virgin, if only he wasn’t so corpulent maybe the rope could have saved him from such embarrassment

• Locked thread