Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Lincoln posted:

What

Edit: sorry, should have been more thorough. I hit a 9-iron flawlessly. I chunk or slice my 4-iron more often than not. The longer the club, the more pronounced my problems.

It sounds like you're not striking the ball correctly. Short irons mask a lot of problems because they have high bounce or fat bottom. You could hit behind the ball and still get a shot off because the club head can slide through the grass whereas a long iron will just dig in and mess up your shot. Lessons from a pro will help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I hook hybrids off the planet but have been doing really well with a utility iron in recent months. I don't carry a 3 wood or any hybrids. It's driver, utility, and 3-PW.

Same I cannot deal with hybrids all I do is hook them all day. Currently playing a TMB 4 Utility then 5-9 in my irons. Looking at either putting a 3 or 2 utility in the bag I've previously played Callaway X Utilities so I'm eyeing off an Apex Utility or another TMB, I prefer the feel of the Callaway but the TMBs are a bit more forgiving for me. My local has 1 par 3 that ruins my gapping as a 3 wood is way too much but a 4 Utility is little short so I am trying to work out if 2 or 3 fits me best.

Edit: I only have 13 clubs at the moment so it's just a matter of what I want to fill the top end of the bag.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Lessons from a pro will help!

Oh man, why did TM have to bring out the new P730s. I just bought iBlades a few months ago :(

Just look at these sexy things

Guy in the golf shop is selling his Bridgestone 2015 blades - might be a much cheaper alternative. He'll fit my new shafts to them and total cost would be far less. Not sure if its the same limited edition ones but they look similar.

http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/bridgestone-2015-limited-j15mb-blade-iron/

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 3, 2017

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So I played with an interesting group yesterday in comp at my local club. I've personally never come across this in my golfing years but they seemed to not understand how the tending if a flag stick works. Nearest person to the hole marks their ball and grabs the flag and either asks if the person who's putt it is wants it tended or out.

Correct me if I have misunderstood my entire golf playing life whomever putts out first then takes the flag and holds it while the rest putt out. 6 times during the round I was closest to the hole and grabbed the pin, the other guys in my group holes out their putt then just walked off the green to the next hole. They stood their on the next tee waiting for me to putt out, even if I was the last to hole out they wouldn't xepct me to be ready to tee off second for some reason.

It was a medal round so slower than normal but we never fell behind the group in front at all, not thanks to their mad dash to the next tee but due to it being wet as gently caress and a stroke round.

I spoke up once or twice but the lowest marker of our group an 11, just ingnored me. I explained as the lowest marker it is his responsibility to ensure the game is played correctly in our group, all I got back was "just play the game".

Thankfully it was a time I don't normally play so I shouldn't need to play with them again but in terms of etiquette in Australia anyway I've never come across this before. I should have been firmer with my talks to the 11 marker but since the other 3 in the group all play together regularly all it would have done is aggitage them and made the rest of the round more unpleasant than it was.

I didn't say anything to the pro as i didn't want to be labelled a complainer since I'm relatively new to the club. Shouldn't have said something or just let it go and avoid them in the future like I plan?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
An 11 marker should know basic ettiquete, you did the right thing and I find that situation very strange. Please don't tell me they all stood on each other's putting lines too.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Normally once everyone is on the green somebody just pulls the pin and drops it in a spot that won't interfere with anyone's putt, and as everyone holes out somebody picks it up and sticks it back in. Although some people like the pin out if they're chipping or putting from the fringe etc so every group is going to be a little different.

And for you guys that hook hybrids, I had that exact problem until I tried the Cally Apex hybrids. My natural shape is a draw and most hybrids seem to be draw-biased so the first few models I hit were terrible for me. Adams has a few models that are pretty much identical (Adams Red for instance) that are cheaper and more readily available if you're interested. My Apex 3 and 4 hybrids are probably my favorite clubs. I had the TM TP UDI 3 iron in my bag for a long time because of how straight I hit it off the tee but these hybrids are just as consistent and also easier to hit from the rough or less than ideal fairway lies for me.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Normally once everyone is on the green somebody just pulls the pin and drops it in a spot that won't interfere with anyone's putt, and as everyone holes out somebody picks it up and sticks it back in. Although some people like the pin out if they're chipping or putting from the fringe etc so every group is going to be a little different.

I was always taught, as a Junior, if you were closest to the hole to hold the flag and then the first person to putt out takes it from you. Maybe 3 of the holes I had this issue on the other players had about 15-20" putts so I held it and asked if they wanted it tended or away.

When I play socially we normally pull the pin and drop it but in competition, at least in me experience it's never dropped and only held when playing comp. I probably have stronger feelings as the 11 marker had exhausted his shots by the 5th hole and then spent forever lining up his putts while I was forced to rush.

He also asked strange questions which you would think an 11 handicapper would know like one of the other guys walk into a hazard (low water levels as it's been quite dry so bit of luck youll land inside but not in the water) with their buggies and I had to remind them not to ground their club where they asked the 11 guy if I was right and all he said was he was unsure but to not anyway if I was going to make a big deal out of it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Normally whoever tends the flag will put it on the green after the one guy that needs it tended has putted. You don't sit around offering to tend the flag for twenty foot putts.

I don't know what a "lowest marker" is but nobody has some special responsibility to tell others how to play.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

sarehu posted:

Normally whoever tends the flag will put it on the green after the one guy that needs it tended has putted. You don't sit around offering to tend the flag for twenty foot putts.

I don't know what a "lowest marker" is but nobody has some special responsibility to tell others how to play.

Most courses in Australia have a local rule that it is up to the lowest marker in the group to keep up pace of play and provide help when making a ruling. The idea being I suppose that the lower your handicap the more experience you have and the more of a grasp on the rules you should have. If there are any disputes of problems the pro or the committee will talk to the lowest marker.

The scenario is that I pull the flag, ask the first guy up want it tended answer is yes, I tend it. He has putt but left it short so says he will sit on it, while he is walking up to his ball to mark I ask the other guy with a long putt if he wants it tended he says no so I hold the flag and would expect the guy once he's marked and inside my ball to meet me half way and grab the flag. As I explained it was very wet and so laying the flag down would mean whomever picked it up would end up with a soaking hands that noone wants. Simple courtesy that's all.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Weird. In all my years of competitive golf tending the flag was never an issue. If you needed it you asked (or more asked the fellow who was out if they needed it tended), no problem, otherwise it was out and set aside out of the way.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Weird. In all my years of competitive golf tending the flag was never an issue. If you needed it you asked (or more asked the fellow who was out if they needed it tended), no problem, otherwise it was out and set aside out of the way.

I think in the end the reason it became a problem was that they would just leave the green and head to the next tee before I'd finished putting out, meaning I didn't have a decent chance to take a look at my putt and forcing me to rush. If they hung around the green(as the rules of golf encourage under their etiquette section) I could have just forced the flag onto one of them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Don't think I've ever played in a group where people just walk off without watching the last player finish their putt. Sound like wankers.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
My current competing theories are that the group are wankers or dimebag is a big sperg. Leaning towards the first, but...

Anyway here's my story of flag tending etiquette. I was in a scramble a couple years back and got asked to tend from the other side so that my shadow didn't pass behind the hole.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who cares if they walk off the green? It’s a dick move but just take your time and putt normally. If they say something tell them you are taking as much time as they took. No need to get out the rule book.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Halo14 posted:

Don't think I've ever played in a group where people just walk off without watching the last player finish their putt. Sound like wankers.

Yeah, that's pretty poor.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger did a pretty good interview with Geno Auriemma last week on Auriemma's podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07lJ2s0SCvg

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Dimebag is most certainly to blame here. I wouldn't trust an 11 handicap to properly clean the grooves out of a wedge. For God's sake, I've seen 12 year olds that can break 80. "Just play the game" was correct advice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I sold my Titleist 712 MB irons to a friend back in August, been trying to get 716 MB's with X100 shafts and standard everything. I've always gone 3-PW but going forward I want 4-PW + 4th wedge since almost all the top PGA Tour players in proximity to the hole from <125 yards use 4 wedges.

Decided not to bid on an auction last night for 4-PW that went for $429 shipped (there were 14 bids so I probably would've needed $445 to win) because they had AMT's (which I'm not sure about though they were Tour Issue which is a nice bonus), the grips were too large ($40 to replace), the PW had a decent gouge on the sole, and the 4 iron was a T-MB. Faces in great condition though, only 15-20 rounds on them.

I was concerned about the T-MB 4 iron because it spins noticeably less than the MB which isn't great if you're trying to hold the green from 205-210 yds. In retrospect, my concerns were overstated because almost every tour pro who goes 4-PW carries a driving-style 4 iron, presumably to help bridge the distance gap to their 5 wood/hyrid. :downs:

I did however win a 3-PW tonight for $475 shipped, only 1 bid needed with 40 sec to go. The faces had a little more wear, especially on the 9 iron/PW, but I've seen every 716 MB listing for the past 2 months and this seemed like a good enough deal. Regular X100 shafts (not TI :(), the exact grips I would play myself, but importantly the 3 iron is a T-MB I should be able to sold and net $100. So after selling the 3 iron vs regripping the other set, I saved about $100 for iron faces with a little more wear and shafts I was 100% sure I would be happy with, which works out great since I can now pick up that 4th wedge.

tl;dr Finally gonna have irons again after going 3 months without, just in time for... Thanksgiving? :negative: At least winter golf is pretty normal in Atlanta.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 14, 2017

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
If the last on the right is the 3 iron it looks like it's been swung only once, most likely thinned and put back forever. Sweet clubs.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm about to regrip my clubs as I've got about 75+ rounds on them since I bought them last summer.

:getin:

Will be on hopefully this weekend and look pretty loving baller on my black vapor fly pros!

I've got a few awesome rounds lined up the next 2 weeks too. This weekend is Orange County National and my dad is in town next weekend for Thanksgiving and I'm taking him out to the New course at Grand Cypress since he loves links style courses and they've modeled their 1 and 18th hole to look identical to St Andrews.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I'm about to regrip my clubs as I've got about 75+ rounds on them since I bought them last summer.

:getin:

Will be on hopefully this weekend and look pretty loving baller on my black vapor fly pros!

I've got a few awesome rounds lined up the next 2 weeks too. This weekend is Orange County National and my dad is in town next weekend for Thanksgiving and I'm taking him out to the New course at Grand Cypress since he loves links style courses and they've modeled their 1 and 18th hole to look identical to St Andrews.
Are those Callaway-branded Lamkin UTX? I guess they feel comfortable using Volt now that Nike is gone?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Are those Callaway-branded Lamkin UTX? I guess they feel comfortable using Volt now that Nike is gone?

Callaway calls them Acid Green so maybe that's how they get around it, and I've seen these grips on Callaway clubs that were released a few years ago so before Nike exited.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I bought my Bstone J40 irons used a year and a half ago and have ~250 rounds on them and there is no browning or really any visible wear except for some small nicks due to rocks. I guess that's the benefit of not playing on sand-based turf, wiping the face after every shot, and never going to the driving range? On the other hand it would be cool to see what kind of wear pattern I'd develop lol.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I bought my Bstone J40 irons used a year and a half ago and have ~250 rounds on them and there is no browning or really any visible wear except for some small nicks due to rocks. I guess that's the benefit of not playing on sand-based turf, wiping the face after every shot, and never going to the driving range? On the other hand it would be cool to see what kind of wear pattern I'd develop lol.
Sand-based soil basically ruins everything. I have a few "sand explosion" marks on my fairway wood faces from the range.

I've never had new forged irons but I too would like to see my wear pattern. I have a couple black finish Vokeys but their faces get opened up from various lies so the strike locations are more varied.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 14, 2017

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What's up dudes, I have a brand new Odyssey O-works center shafted putter I'm looking to sell. Still in the plastic, anyone interested in that sort of thing?

It's a 34" #2M CS.

Just trying to raise a little moolah for ice fishing season.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
golfwrx is an unreadable forum full of idiots lol

they spend all their time debating over shafts that "spin high" or "spin low" and spend thousands of dollars on exotic stuff 99.9% of them won't get any benefit from whilst apparently oblivious to the fact that spin is almost entirely dictated by strike / dynamic loft (whilst shafts themselves have essentially zero effect) :doh:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha yeah, don't think I'd like to play a round with golf WRXers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of wasting money on golf, none of the PXG tour staffers are doing well and Zach Johnson's caddy is barely making ends meet.

Obviously, the brand will retain some cache for a while as luxury clubs but I hope they go away soon.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I think that brand looks cheap. Like golf's equivalent to bedazzling your clubs.

I just got a 2016 M1 5 wood, I set it to lower which is minus 2 degrees & it goes further than my R15 3 wood. Bloody insane distance!

Going to sell my UDI 2 iron, they still hold good value so I'll be able to cover the cost of the M1.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Haha yeah, don't think I'd like to play a round with golf WRXers.

I played with that guy a few weeks ago. Full bag of shiny AP2s and SM6s, including a 60* that he picked up just before the round that he proudly proclaimed.

Another guy in our group was using a GoLo so he jerked that guy off for a while.

Constantly talking about how you need to do this, and this, change your grip to this. Nah, bro you need to do this.

I was ready to drown him after about 10 holes.

Oh, he didn't sniff 100.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

I think that brand looks cheap. Like golf's equivalent to bedazzling your clubs.

I just got a 2016 M1 5 wood, I set it to lower which is minus 2 degrees & it goes further than my R15 3 wood. Bloody insane distance!

Going to sell my UDI 2 iron, they still hold good value so I'll be able to cover the cost of the M1.

The M* series woods are freaking insane. I have a 2017 M1 3 wood that I just nuke the poo poo outta the ball with. I'm getting close to driver distance out of it when I completely pure it and mishits are still nuked. I'm currently still rocking my vapor fly pro driver but it's hard not to think about the distance I'd get with a M1 driver.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

mattfl posted:

The M* series woods are freaking insane. I have a 2017 M1 3 wood that I just nuke the poo poo outta the ball with. I'm getting close to driver distance out of it when I completely pure it and mishits are still nuked. I'm currently still rocking my vapor fly pro driver but it's hard not to think about the distance I'd get with a M1 driver.

I have a lot of clubs to trade in and I don't think my Vapor Fly Pro driver is going to be sticking around too much longer either. I played a golfnow hot deal a couple weeks ago and got paired up with one of the guys who works in the golf department at a local Dicks, and he was crushing it with an M1 despite a janky looking swing. I need to go down and hit a bunch of stuff with him and see how my Nike holds up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I have a lot of clubs to trade in and I don't think my Vapor Fly Pro driver is going to be sticking around too much longer either. I played a golfnow hot deal a couple weeks ago and got paired up with one of the guys who works in the golf department at a local Dicks, and he was crushing it with an M1 despite a janky looking swing. I need to go down and hit a bunch of stuff with him and see how my Nike holds up.

I don't want to go hit it because I know the second I do I'll want it and I'm not dropping that kinda cash right now lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Homestar Runner posted:

golfwrx is an unreadable forum full of idiots lol

they spend all their time debating over shafts that "spin high" or "spin low" and spend thousands of dollars on exotic stuff 99.9% of them won't get any benefit from whilst apparently oblivious to the fact that spin is almost entirely dictated by strike / dynamic loft (whilst shafts themselves have essentially zero effect) :doh:

I never realized there were so many factors involved in swinging a club right! Honestly though, because of you guys and some reading there I actually tried some shafts that turned my normal spray, hard slice into a tight center-line hugging cluster. I'm sure it was just the shafts though and not the lessons or hours on the range. :tup:

Seriously though, the best forum is the classic golfers forum. Been there, tried that, nothing helps your game more than playing it, so play the clubs you lusted over 30 years ago you picked up in a thrift shop for $10.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The lesson I went to this fall, the instructor showed me my downswing frame by frame and you could see the driver head twisting a little which he said was a result of the 60g shaft and recommended I go to a 70g. I don't have a 70g shaft for my driver but I did have the same one in x-stiff instead of stiff and swapping to that did seem to help my dispersion. I know I could change my swing slightly and probably make the stiff flex work just as well, but this was a zero effort immediate improvement so that's fine with me.

I know WRX is filled with guys who think the shaft is what causes their spin to bounce between 1800 and 3500 when it's all about strike location and variations in each swing which is foolish. They can make minor differences though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

oh I'm not doubting it. I had never considered it to be a factor but I have clearly been playing with far too light a flex and I immediately dropped 10 of my handicap with greater control over ball placement. there is a lot to be said about the new metrics. But by far the biggest factor is our swing mechanics.

What really gets me are the guys hunting for the holy grail and buy 18 different iron sets every year. :psypop:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As long as you're educated on the actual physics of what different parts of a golf club can and cannot do, GolfWRX can be a fun and good time. :waycool:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Suprfli6 posted:

The lesson I went to this fall, the instructor showed me my downswing frame by frame and you could see the driver head twisting a little which he said was a result of the 60g shaft and recommended I go to a 70g. I don't have a 70g shaft for my driver but I did have the same one in x-stiff instead of stiff and swapping to that did seem to help my dispersion. I know I could change my swing slightly and probably make the stiff flex work just as well, but this was a zero effort immediate improvement so that's fine with me.

I know WRX is filled with guys who think the shaft is what causes their spin to bounce between 1800 and 3500 when it's all about strike location and variations in each swing which is foolish. They can make minor differences though.

Mark Crossfield did an interesting video series on Youtube testing a 50 gram senior's flex shaft, against a heavyweight Mitsubishi Javelin X-Flex (one of the stoutest shafts out there) -- he and another club pro hit a dozen balls with each, and for both guys the overall difference in spin rate was less than 100 RPM between the two shafts. And that's with two entirely different flexes and weights that sit at polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

His anecdote about the R&A's blind-test at 6:50 is a bigly lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z5I8y-uQs

Shaft is absolutely important for personal preferences in control and feel, just as you've stated Suprfli6.

It has virtually no bearing on spin though, and it's a big lol to me that autistic GolfWRXers spend absurd money on products that all likely do the exact same thing :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Should've just gotten whatever 716 MB set was cheapest and in best condition on eBay. :v:

Actually, I think I may just be really bad at telling the difference between scratches on the face, the chrome satin part wearing down, and actually browning.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 15, 2017