Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Just get a PC copy of Generations and grab the Unleashed Stages mod for it. Ports all stages into Generations complete with a custom made white world stage select and even has the night stages thrown in just because. You get to play the kickin' rad Unleashed stages without the rest of Unleashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i found Unleashed to be basically unplayably bad in both level design and also framerate regardless of whether it was a day or night stage

as is almost always the case, you're a wrong idiot

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Just get a PC copy of Generations and grab the Unleashed Stages mod for it. Ports all stages into Generations complete with a custom made white world stage select and even has the night stages thrown in just because. You get to play the kickin' rad Unleashed stages without the rest of Unleashed.

Is this the one that has the giant GUN truck lurking in the Jungle?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I watched TieTuesday's stream of Forces and the game is the right amount of stupid, and I love it! :allears: Are there other streams or playthroughs of Forces where the streamer and chat aren't needlessly making GBS threads on Forces just because it was cool? I tried DarkSpinesSonic's stream, and had to roll my eyes at the negativity in the chat.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

People aren't making GBS threads on forces because it's cool. There's another reason they're making GBS threads on it. It's because...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Is this the one that has the giant GUN truck lurking in the Jungle?

That's the one. It's seriously a top-notch mod and I can't imagine the work that went into porting stages from a console game to PC, especially with such a high quality and with such smoothness. It's one of those testaments to how the insanity of the Sonic fandom sometimes gives us really awesome poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That's the one. It's seriously a top-notch mod and I can't imagine the work that went into porting stages from a console game to PC, especially with such a high quality and with such smoothness. It's one of those testaments to how the insanity of the Sonic fandom sometimes gives us really awesome poo poo.

I have Generations on PC already, but I think I'm going to get the real Unleashed experience. Maybe the highs will feel higher if they have some lows in between.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

come on guys, let the people who are enjoying it enjoy it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sounds like I should skip Forces and just wipe my Mania saves and complete them all again instead

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'd give you that the framerate in Unleashed is very spotty. Jungle Joyride day and a couple of Night levels have bad spots, but at least they don't impede gameplay. That was PS3 though, and I thought I heard 360 was more stable.

lets hang out posted:

I watched someone go through the last stage of unleashed the other day and it was unbelievably bad

Eggmanland did nothing wrong

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 8, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It was cool the way they couldn't figure out how to make a stage that doesn't hit you with instant deaths constantly so they just spewed like 50 extra lives around the stage. Game design.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zelder posted:

People aren't making GBS threads on forces because it's cool. There's another reason they're making GBS threads on it. It's because...

Because the group think had already come to that decision.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

come on guys, let the people who are enjoying it enjoy it.

Exactly, the game's not the best thing to come out of the franchise by any stretch but it's not a 06/Rise of Lyric level disaster either (no matter how much some people seem to want to pretend it is). It's mediocre at the absolute worst.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

lets hang out posted:

It was cool the way they couldn't figure out how to make a stage that doesn't hit you with instant deaths constantly so they just spewed like 50 extra lives around the stage. Game design.

I remember SA2 having stages kinda like that if you were going for the fastest times. Final rail or whatever?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Exactly, the game's not the best thing to come out of the franchise by any stretch but it's not a 06/Rise of Lyric level disaster either (no matter how much some people seem to want to pretend it is). It's mediocre at the absolute worst.

If someone unironically likes 06 and Boom, let them like it too

Don't make people feel bad for enjoying things when it involves stuff like video games and doesn't involve real, societal problems

I've been lovely at that too. Way too lovely, way too recently. I'm trying to change that. So I dunno. Trying to lighten up there I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a problem in a lot of games with lives because they are an archaic system. Admittedly even getting rid of them doesn't solve it. Mario Odyssey has no lives and just has you lose coins for dying but pretty much every checkpoint in the game has more coins sitting right by it than you lose for dying so...?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I saw a stream of forces yesterday and it looked fun and it's pretty fun to play. Although I'm no big sonic game person, I think the only other sonics I've played were that Gamecube one and the weird smashesque thing with that robot.

I am a bit poo poo at it though

Anyway I made a Chocobo because I realised one of the feather options was basically perfect and they are good at go fast

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Because the group think had already come to that decision.

Okay

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also Weiss the Edgehog is wonderful

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DoctorWhat posted:

as is almost always the case, you're a wrong idiot

what was your favourite day level, the one where you die if you don't press jump within like half a second of the level starting or the one that ran at a sub-20 framerate rendering the game virtually uncontrollable

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Based on what I've seen and heard it's a disappointment in the sense that it's not really an improvement on Colors/Gens like I'd have hoped, but it mostly hovers around the same level barring oddly short stages and a few really bad tracks (and the avatar tracks are exactly my kind of cheesy). Story seems amusingly silly, which is at least an improvement over "existent, but why" in gens.

Not gonna rush out to buy it with other platformers I've already got to play more, and I get why it's being received poorly when Mania is indisputably and greatly more successful at its own aims, but it doesn't seem like something I'd regret playing, especially if I end up sitting on it for a while and the price falls.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been thinking about it and the levels being so short probably is the way it is because of the mission/"play this stuff repeatedly" aspects.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

If someone unironically likes 06 and Boom, let them like it too

Don't make people feel bad for enjoying things when it involves stuff like video games and doesn't involve real, societal problems

I've been lovely at that too. Way too lovely, way too recently. I'm trying to change that. So I dunno. Trying to lighten up there I guess.

True, even the worst games in the franchise still have their fans (hell, I actually like certain parts of '06 and thought Black Knight was pretty fun for the most part) and conversely you could probably find people out there who think the Classic games (Mania included) are utter poo poo as well.

I've never understood why the whole hive mind mentality is more prevalent among the Sonic franchise than it is for nearly everything else. Just let people have their opinions and you're free to agree or disagree, this shouldn't be that hard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 8, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Anyways, here's 4466 words of purestrain madness that was made in response to a review of Sonic Forces:

https://www.thetoptens.com/dumb-things-sonic-fans-do/56525.asp

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zelder posted:

Anyways, here's 4466 words of purestrain madness that was made in response to a review of Sonic Forces:

https://www.thetoptens.com/dumb-things-sonic-fans-do/56525.asp

I feel like I should stress that I mean people who are just saying they're having fun in a thread like this, and not...

all of whatever this is.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

my character is a bird, shes very cool and also friends with sonic. the hedgehog? you might have heard of him, hes kind of a big deal

there are more options for outfits and stuff than i expected and im not even done with the game yet, so thats cool

its not as bad as a lot of people seem to be saying. this isnt some sonic 06 level disaster. the game's entirely functional and plays fine, the level design is a little bland. the visuals are nice. for a budget priced game i cant fault it too much for the small stuff it has trouble with. it's still pretty fun

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Can you switch animals during the main game or do I have to wait until post game because I already maxed out my bear buddy.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I thought most Sonic fans and Mario fans got along pretty well now a days.

I didn't realize there were still people who believe reviewers are being paid off to give Mario high praise while keeping the 3D Sonic games down.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I actually kind of dig Infinite because he's such a massive edgelord it rockets at highspeed into full on parody. He's such a trainwreck it's just kind of fun to watch. Plus despite being dangerous as hell and curbstomping Sonic into the floor, Sonic still doesn't take him seriously. I mean, who would?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I thought most Sonic fans and Mario fans got along pretty well now a days.

I didn't realize there were still people who believe reviewers are being paid off to give Mario high praise while keeping the 3D Sonic games down.

The console wars never ended my friend.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I actually kind of dig Infinite because he's such a massive edgelord it rockets at highspeed into full on parody. He's such a trainwreck it's just kind of fun to watch. Plus despite being dangerous as hell and curbstomping Sonic into the floor, Sonic still doesn't take him seriously. I mean, who would?

whenever Sonic and Infinite talk to eachother, it feels like Sonic is being the modern wacky cartoon character the series has kind of been for a bit now, while Infinite is desperately trying to be from the Shadow The Hedgehog self-serious era, and they just have this weird clash between how the two of them act. its kind of fun, but, also im not sure its intentional

it doesnt feel like sega knows what they want Sonic to be so theyre just kind of trying everything at once

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it's more Sonic is just being himself. I mean, when Spider-man goes up against a villain who doesn't make bad jokes and mock everyone, it's Spider-man being Spider-man. Sonic and this particular antagonist are just different kinds of characters.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Jarogue posted:

Can you switch animals during the main game or do I have to wait until post game because I already maxed out my bear buddy.

It's a post-game thing, unfortunately.

Zelder posted:

The console wars never ended my friend.

You're really weird and not very fun. Do you even like Sonic or do you just like complaining about Sonic?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sonic Team: We finally did it. We made a guy that will finally surpass Shadow in edginess.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

It's a post-game thing, unfortunately.

You're really weird and not very fun. Do you even like Sonic or do you just like complaining about Sonic?

I like Sonic a lot, which is why I'm bummed out that Sonic Forces isn't very good. Are we doing the "No True Sonic Fan" purges now?

Also gently caress you, I lost a lot of friends in the console war.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

"Ahh, you return, and you reek of fear."
(Sniff armpit) "Uhh, no, I just ran all the way here."

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Honestly, for all the shitpiling this thread has done on Forces, I've been having a fun time with it. It's jank as hell but in a fun way and not an god awful, unplayable mess kind of way

Also I've always been pretty lenient when it comes to Sonic and I understand its trial-and-error gameplay more that most people probably

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It bugs me that they decided to call the final boss the Death Egg Robot. The boss is way more different and way more interesting than deciding to just re-use that name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think my favorite moment was in Episode Shadow (which I decided to play first since it happens before the main game) where Shadow just curbstomps Infinite without much effort during their first meeting and he proceeds to throw this huge tantrum, whining like a little baby.

It was at that moment I knew that I would never be able to take this character seriously (and to be fair, neither does Sonic for the most part).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hot take: Sonic Mania was never good and we were only tricked into thinking it was a good game because Forces looked so much worse