Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Eggs in Purgatory - Essentially made a very spicy arrabiata and cracked a few eggs into it. It was a pretty good time :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Five spice tofu fried rice with celery, peanuts and chili oil

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Not the best picture, but I made chicken katsu with homemade katsu sauce, rice, shredded cabbage. Devoured it, so good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

angor posted:

Eggs in Purgatory - Essentially made a very spicy arrabiata and cracked a few eggs into it. It was a pretty good time :).

That looks amazing! I should go ahead and make one of these simmer eggs in awesome sauce recipes already, between this and shakshuka

Viscart
Oct 25, 2017
I officially hate this thread. No matter how much I eat, I am hungry every time I look at it, and I can't stop doing so.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not dinner, but who cares.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A++ looking bagels!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Leek fritters with fattoush salad.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mushroom chicken risotto; used homemade stock from my ~`*Intant Pot*`~ (def. recommend), chicken was made using the Serious Eats spatchcock method (yesterday).

This is probably the most tasty risotto I've ever made, and I'm willing to say that the homemade stock is the difference, god drat.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Nice!

I just made a mushroom risotto last night. Came out pretty good for my first risotto in like 8 years:

E:
Soon.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 31, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Aardvark posted:

Leek fritters with fattoush salad.

Looks great! What starch binds/bulks the fritters? I'd imagine leeks wouldn't hold together, be dry enough, or be tasty alone.

Do you have sumac? Sprinkled on fattoush is my favorite thing :)

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Reztes posted:

E:
Soon.

I made cassoulet! Possibly my favorite dish ever, and it took like all day babysitting the oven but oh boy is this poo poo delicious. Also just in time for the first somewhat chilly week of the fall.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Looks great! What starch binds/bulks the fritters? I'd imagine leeks wouldn't hold together, be dry enough, or be tasty alone.

Do you have sumac? Sprinkled on fattoush is my favorite thing :)

I used breadcrumbs and eggs to bind the leeks together after boiling and squeezing as much water out of them as possible by hand, then dipped the patties in breadcrumbs again right before frying them.

I got a big rear end bag of sumac from a Middle Eastern grocery store near me for $3.50 so that poo poo is going on a lot of stuff in the future.

edit: I also added some allspice and Aleppo pepper to the fritters to give some flavor.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 3, 2017

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Reztes posted:

I made cassoulet! Possibly my favorite dish ever, and it took like all day babysitting the oven but oh boy is this poo poo delicious. Also just in time for the first somewhat chilly week of the fall.

Nice! What meats you got going on in there? Looks like duck leg confit and sausage; anything else?

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Veal cooked with lemon and pepper over peas.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Nice! What meats you got going on in there? Looks like duck leg confit and sausage; anything else?

I actually followed Kenji's advice and used chicken and salt pork and yeah, sausage. I went to probably 4-5 different markets over the last week as I was putting it together and couldn't find a mild garlic sausage at any of them, so I went with a Salvadoran chorizo. Bell peppers in that definitely stood out, but it was kind of a nice contrast from the rest of the mix.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

JawKnee posted:

dough recipe is my favorite, from component ingredients, to coming out of the oven in about an hour.

There's no such thing as a best in class pizza dough recipe that gets made in an hour. Cold fermenting is essential for a delicious pizza dough.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I don't have time to type it up before work, but I'll do so this afternoon - you can try it and tell me what you think. I like it at least as much as my favorite pizza place's dough.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Playing around with getting the most of sous vide pork loin. Came out pretty good. The "sauce" is actually a very thick pumpkin & carrot soup my wife made, it went pretty well with the pork and roasted balsamic-glazed brussel sprouts.

Soup was also an excuse to use up some of our garden harvest, mainly: pumpkin, carrots, onion, garlic, and rosemary.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

emotive posted:

I used this recipe:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-harissa-2

Not sure you can really even call it harissa, but it was delicious either way.

I'd call it zhoug, you get it in Yemeni food a lot.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Had a portion of pork loin in the fridge I had cooked sous vide Sunday night, as well as home-made sandwich rolls. I decided to try to make a banh mi. I heated the loin in the water bath, took it out, patted dry, and powdered with 5 spice mix before searing on a cast iron skillet. My wife ran to the store to get some pate, which seemed a bit fancy for the sandwich, but it all went together very well. They were so good!

Sorry for the messy photo, we were hungry and just wanted to eat! Pork loin looks thick cut, but it was quite tender so no problems eating.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

rgocs posted:

Sorry for the messy photo

Dude why did you post this ugly poo poo? Please consider deleting it, you know it's a terrible photo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rgocs posted:

My wife ran to the store to get some pate, which seemed a bit fancy for the sandwich, but it all went together very well. T

:colbert: Pate was poor people food long before haute cuisine made it hip.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: Pate was poor people food long before haute cuisine made it hip.
I don't know, I remember having pate from a casing since I was a kid, I guess we were poor! I wanted that kind of smooth pate that comes in a casing, this one was the rustic kind that's a bit overpriced because of what you point out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

drat that's a fine looking banh mi.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

rgocs posted:

I don't know, I remember having pate from a casing since I was a kid, I guess we were poor! I wanted that kind of smooth pate that comes in a casing, this one was the rustic kind that's a bit overpriced because of what you point out.

liverwurst is cheap and good pate. It comes in plastic casing and is very spreadable.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

POLLYANNA'S MAGICAL STEAK ADVENTURE

I suck at making steak. I don't know why that is, I think it's got something to do with the fact that it's really sensitive to timing and heat, and that I'm liable to set off the smoke alarm if I do anything other than stick it directly under a broiler.

But I had the good fortune to find a nice large strip steak for $10 off! I'm going to cook it and I absolutely refuse to gently caress it up this time.

MATERIALS

• Cast-iron pan
  • Big lovely oven I have no idea how it got up these narrow steps
  • Tin foil

INGREDIENTS

• Salt and pepper
  • Strip steak @ 1.35 lb / 1.25 in
  • Pat of butter
  • Some olive oil

I'm not going to marinate it or anything, it'll be straight up beef.

STEPS

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

• Pull steak out of the fridge. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.

• Pat steak dry. Nice hands, fatty.

• Stick a bunch of salt and pepper in your hand, sprinkle it all over the steak, make a huge loving mess and let sit for 5 minutes.

• While the steak is resting, pull out your cast iron pan, pour in a little olive oil and put it on high. Get it rippling hot.

• Marvel at all the crap you have stuck to the pan.

• The pan is smoking I repeat the pan is smoking!!!!! RIP smoke alarm, RIP my ears, RIP my cat's sanity. This is why I hate putting my cast iron directly on the burner.

• Pat steak dry.

• Place steak onto the pan. THIS IS IMPORTANT: your pan has to be really hot before you put the steak on. Make sure it makes a significant sizzling noise when you place it on, or it's no good. Test with a drop of water if you're not sure.

• Sear for three minutes, flip over, sear for three minutes. Begin descent into panic attack as you become utterly terrified of the smoke alarm going off even though you opened two windows and put the fan on.

• Once both sides are seared, pick the steak up and sear the strip of fat along the edge. Please please please don't neglect this step. The texture is god awful if you do.

• Turn off the heat, and move the pan+steak to the oven.

• Bake until the internal temperature is 140 degrees.

• How the gently caress do you know if it's at 140 degrees.

-----
    :supaburn: TODO: I DON'T HAVE AN OVEN-PROOF PROBE THERMOMETER!!! PLEASE FILL THIS IN WITH AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION BEFORE POSTING!!! :supaburn:
    -----

• Pull it out of the oven when it's done.

• Place the pat of butter on the steak, and tent with foil.

• Wonder out loud if you're supposed to clean cast iron pans or anything. Shrug, and stick it back in the oven.

• gently caress off, Jet.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLit9IKzEMY

• After 10 minutes, steak is ready. Look at all that juice. Get confused as to where the roasted broccoli went then realize you were hungry and ate it all while waiting.

• Eat steak. Yes, the whole thing is for yourself, why do you ask? Also, clean your loving apartment.

SOURCE

mindphlux, Casu Marzu, poop dood et al

LESSONS

• Pan searing a steak will never not be terrifying, not after the many many smoke alarms you've set off...
  • Work on getting that crusty sear done right. It didn't exactly have a crunchy exterior.
  • Let's say it takes 8~9 minutes in the oven until the steak is ready. Yeah, let's go with that and never actually check what temp the steak is at again.
  • The cat instantly goes to his hiding spot when you turn the range fan on.
  • You need to go on a diet.

VERDICT

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Maybe the reason you always set off the smoke alarm is that you're using olive oil and also you never clean your pan jesus christ clean your goddamn pan

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Take the battery out if your smoke alarm when you're searing steak. I'd assume you'd have already thought of that, but then again you don't even clean your pan so

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Olive! posted:

Maybe the reason you always set off the smoke alarm is that you're using olive oil and also you never clean your pan jesus christ clean your goddamn pan

Also don't put pepper on until its out of the pan and resting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I generally don’t cook animal protein until it’s fully tempered at room temperature, like 1-2 hours sitting out of the fridge minimum, then you can do the whole thing in the pan and it’s fine. You can try putting the butter in the pan with some thyme and spooning the butter over the steak as it sears. This gives you a better flavor. The fat strip on the outside is the first thing the pan should touch because the rendered fat from it is what the steak cooks in (plus butter right before the steaks go in). You don’t need to add fat to fat (no olive oil).

Having said all that your steak looks good and I’d eat it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

VelociBacon posted:

I generally don’t cook animal protein until it’s fully tempered at room temperature, like 1-2 hours sitting out of the fridge minimum, then you can do the whole thing in the pan and it’s fine.

Depends how thick the steak is. Too thin, then don't bring it all the way up to room temp. Very thick? Might still require some oven time. Or just reverse sear or sous vide it.

quote:

You can try putting the butter in the pan with some thyme and spooning the butter over the steak as it sears. This gives you a better flavor. The fat strip on the outside is the first thing the pan should touch because the rendered fat from it is what the steak cooks in (plus butter right before the steaks go in). You don’t need to add fat to fat (no olive oil).

Just don't do this with a ripping hot cast iron, lest you want burned butter.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, so yes clean cast iron pans. I thought you weren't supposed to, and it'd strip the seasoning off/make it rust. How do I clean it? I assume not with water?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Warm water, bit of soap, soft sponge, hand dry immediately and put it back on the heat, let it heat up then oil it. Don't listen to anyone that says this ruins the seasoning. You can skip the soap I guess. There's no lye in modern soap though.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
You use hot water + wiping. You can use a mild scouring pad or a salt scrub to get stuck on things off. Season with canola oil once it's dry before you put it back in the pantry.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Cook meat properly.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, so yes clean cast iron pans. I thought you weren't supposed to, and it'd strip the seasoning off/make it rust. How do I clean it? I assume not with water?

I clean mine by making rice in it :black101:

(But then after I give it a good scrub with warm water and nylon brush and basic dish soap, and dry it with a towel. The bottom has kind of a rusty patina going because I don't care about drying it, but the top/inside has stayed perfectly smooth and black.)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I generally don’t cook animal protein until it’s fully tempered at room temperature, like 1-2 hours sitting out of the fridge minimum, then you can do the whole thing in the pan and it’s fine. You can try putting the butter in the pan with some thyme and spooning the butter over the steak as it sears. This gives you a better flavor. The fat strip on the outside is the first thing the pan should touch because the rendered fat from it is what the steak cooks in (plus butter right before the steaks go in). You don’t need to add fat to fat (no olive oil).

Having said all that your steak looks good and I’d eat it.

Doesn't really matter. A starting temp of 40F vs 70F isn't gonna make any appreciable difference when you're tossing the steak into a 500F pan. You're talking about like 15 seconds difference in the pan in the long run.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

STEAK PICS

Looks good, couple tips:

- Clean your pan, like folks have already said. I have the same lodge cast iron, and I clean it with hot water, a little bit of soap and a regular sponge every time and nothing sticks to it. Just make sure you don't leave any water in it (dry it immediately). If it ever loses some of its stick, just go cook a lot of bacon in it and you're good.
- Use a higher smoking point oil - Sunflower, grapeseed work great for this
- Use a coarser salt on your steak and leave the pepper off until later
- Honestly, you don't need to put that steak in the oven. Throw in a couple knobs of butter after searing the other side for a couple minutes and start spooning over the browned butter. I disagree with Ranter, it's fine if the pan is really hot. You're really only doing this for like, a minute at most and by that point it's delicious and brown and nutty.
- Flip your steak often, the old rule of only turning it once is bullshit

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cook meat properly.

Us city slickers don't have this luxury :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Get one of these, scrub out your pan running under hot water until you've removed as much gross particulate matter as possible (please clean your pan), dry thoroughly, wipe with a super thin layer of neutral oil. Done.