Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another great tactic with Orcs is the all Goblin army. Like Mordja said, the King and the Warlord DLC made the Orcs much more varied than before, and NIght Goblin Warbosses leading swarms are insanely effective if handled properly. An entirely poison based army with thousands of gobbos and extremely good light cavalry squig hoppers are hilarious to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I think it was the blue Dwarves who hosed me up good. From what it looks like I need at least the next tier of units (Big 'Uns/Black Orcs?) cause Orc Boys might as well be cannon fodder for the regular dwarf units. Probably focused too much on buildings generating dosh instead of units, I just wanted to build up enough money and building levels to get that unbeatable spider unit :(. So the way to go is to completely ignore unrest and just keep sacking and taxing the gently caress out of everything? Don't think I've even seen a WAAAGH! yet, that should give you some idea how passive I was being.
Incidentally, it's very confusing that there's the main Dwarves faction led by their High King (similar to my general Greenskins faction) but also a bunch of other Dwarf factions with their own names.
Maybe I should just play Empire or Vampires at first.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I think it was the blue Dwarves who hosed me up good. From what it looks like I need at least the next tier of units (Big 'Uns/Black Orcs?) cause Orc Boys might as well be cannon fodder for the regular dwarf units. Probably focused too much on buildings generating dosh instead of units, I just wanted to build up enough money and building levels to get that unbeatable spider unit :(. So the way to go is to completely ignore unrest and just keep sacking and taxing the gently caress out of everything? Don't think I've even seen a WAAAGH! yet, that should give you some idea how passive I was being.
Incidentally, it's very confusing that there's the main Dwarves faction led by their High King (similar to my general Greenskins faction) but also a bunch of other Dwarf factions with their own names.
Maybe I should just play Empire or Vampires at first.

orc boys are reasonably killy and also hold things up for a bit but the best anti-dwarf option at low tiers are the sneaky stabber goblins who should be sent round into the back of the dwarves and your boys to attack their butts and their archers.

they have very high armour pen (as high as saurus last i checked) and become super strong even in a frontal attack if led by a goblin lord with all the + goblin attack red line buffs. they are also easy to flank with since they are faster than anything the dwarves have and also are stealthed even when not in cover.

a little later you get regular boar boys who chop dwarves up and dwarves have little answer to beyond shooting them

orcs are reasonably straight forward but reward aggression mind you so do a lot of warhammer TW teams, if you do want to go with an easier team I'd go with dwarves, they lack cavalry but their basic infantry is very tanky and act as a very good anvil to lots of nasty guns, empire are beset on all sides with a squishy roster so i wouldn't say they were easy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You need a minimum of 17 units in a stack to generate a WAAAGH AI stack. You earn momentum by winning battles, and once you pass a threshold, the WAAAGH!!! stack is spawned and can be directed at targets. You should then besiege a city and wait a turn, so your stack joins up, and then crush it the following turn with overwhelming numbers. Also, make liberal use of the underway movements to navigate the mountains. Anything you sack, have your WAAAGH stack raze the next turn. It will slow down the Dwarfs and other Orcs because they'll commit to resettling the ruins, which in turn weakens the occupying stack and drains their economy.

If you play your cards right, it is possible to kill the blue Dwarfs (the primary Dwarf faction) in ten turns or less, but you need to be going hard and smashing everything along the wya.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am hoping this new political system will be solid and maybe be used for future games now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

For Orks in Warhammer, if you're using Grimgor you can get away with just killing the main dwarf faction ASAP, and doing so by just having Grimgor gank the enemy lord because he wrecks any non-mounted lord and has a shitload of AP damage

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grimgor armies should focus on using Black Orcs and Big'Uns to avoid the Greenskins' usual terrible leadership. Pound for pound he is one of the most powerful melee lords in the game, and can take on most armies by himself. But secondary warbosses should be tailored to buff their troops, especially Night Gobbo warbosses.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

orc boys are reasonably killy and also hold things up for a bit but the best anti-dwarf option at low tiers are the sneaky stabber goblins who should be sent round into the back of the dwarves and your boys to attack their butts and their archers.

they have very high armour pen (as high as saurus last i checked) and become super strong even in a frontal attack if led by a goblin lord with all the + goblin attack red line buffs. they are also easy to flank with since they are faster than anything the dwarves have and also are stealthed even when not in cover.

a little later you get regular boar boys who chop dwarves up and dwarves have little answer to beyond shooting them

orcs are reasonably straight forward but reward aggression mind you so do a lot of warhammer TW teams, if you do want to go with an easier team I'd go with dwarves, they lack cavalry but their basic infantry is very tanky and act as a very good anvil to lots of nasty guns, empire are beset on all sides with a squishy roster so i wouldn't say they were easy

I didn't try to the Goblins at all because their archers seemed worse than the Orc ones and the other unit seemed like the S2 ninjas and I suck at using those. Maybe I will try dwarves then.

Arcsquad12 posted:

You need a minimum of 17 units in a stack to generate a WAAAGH AI stack. You earn momentum by winning battles, and once you pass a threshold, the WAAAGH!!! stack is spawned and can be directed at targets. You should then besiege a city and wait a turn, so your stack joins up, and then crush it the following turn with overwhelming numbers. Also, make liberal use of the underway movements to navigate the mountains. Anything you sack, have your WAAAGH stack raze the next turn. It will slow down the Dwarfs and other Orcs because they'll commit to resettling the ruins, which in turn weakens the occupying stack and drains their economy.

If you play your cards right, it is possible to kill the blue Dwarfs (the primary Dwarf faction) in ten turns or less, but you need to be going hard and smashing everything along the wya.

But if I raze everything, where will I get sustained income from?

StashAugustine posted:

For Orks in Warhammer, if you're using Grimgor you can get away with just killing the main dwarf faction ASAP, and doing so by just having Grimgor gank the enemy lord because he wrecks any non-mounted lord and has a shitload of AP damage

Yeah I forgot to ask earlier: How does Grimgor compare to other lords in straight combat? Because he can swing entire battles by himself simply by rolling up the entire enemy line.
E: Yeah okay so I shouldn't expect other lords to be this good in combat?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orcs really don't need sustained income until they have an established province, and you won't get an established province you can confidently defend until you've spent a few turns beating the poo poo out of all your neighbors and stealing their stuff.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

I didn't try to the Goblins at all because their archers seemed worse than the Orc ones and the other unit seemed like the S2 ninjas and I suck at using those. Maybe I will try dwarves then.

Yeah I forgot to ask earlier: How does Grimgor compare to other lords in straight combat? Because he can swing entire battles by himself simply by rolling up the entire enemy line.

Grimgor is King Shitwrecker, yes; the only people in the conversation with him are the vampire lords, and they've mostly got it courtesy of self-healing abilities.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Grimgor is one of the best duellists and is real good at killing other lords, but can't get a mount. Mounts are kind of double-edged swords. They make you vulnerable to anti-large damage (generally more common than anti-infantry) and the larger size means more dudes in a unit can hit you at once. Conversely, units on mounts are harder to knock around- monsters and to a lesser extent cavalry will knock units down, meaning a foot lord can get stunlocked by bigger units.

e: ork shooting is largely garbage, their cav archers are kinda okayish but only as harassers, and night goblins are okay for applying poison rather than actually killing things (the ROR goblin archer is also good, but again for its debuff rather than its damage). Goblin spears are pretty much just chaff in campaign, skulkers are great cheap AP units, and night goblins have poison. Stalk and vanguard are fun but aren't the main reason you take them. Gobbo lords get a skill early on that gives goblins poison, which is pretty huge

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 8, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GrossMurpel posted:

The goblin thing only works well if you have the aforementioned DLC. If you do, the Rusty Arrers ROR is also real good against Dwarfs because it sunders the armor of whatever they're shooting at. Also, Goblin Archers are probably better than Orc ones because of how big their unit size is.

GrossMurpel posted:

Looting a settlement can give you a big lump sum that you'd otherwise have to wait ages to see a similar return on if you captured it. Plus you can always just repopulate destroyed towns.

GrossMurpel posted:

He's up there in pure killyness, though I guess he lacks utility. He can also get knocked around by big lords on mounts, but that's mostly a multiplayer issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Of course, Dwarf lords are all on foot, so they are ideal targets for Grimgor. I think the only Dwarf lord who is really somewhat threatening to Grimgor in combat is Ungrim Ironfist, and even then, Grimgor will probably come out on top in a straight up fight.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

e: wrong thread

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

The A/T MilHist thread recently had some discussion of him starting here. Basically, his methodology consists of thinking about what makes most sense to him and deciding, regardless of textual or other evidence, that that's how a thing worked. He also doesn't understand that people, across millennia of time and thousands of miles of space and myriad cultures, place different values on different things and thus, for example, claims ritual warfare never existed. Those aren't his only issues, though:

:stonklol:

Okay well, I prefer that Military History Visualized guy anyway.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The third century crisis is a very interesting period in history. At the same time, I feel like this is kind ohm Attila light, so I dunno...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think so really, Attila is more about Rome vs barbarians, whereas this is gonna be lots of little Romes duking it out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

The A/T MilHist thread recently had some discussion of him starting here. Basically, his methodology consists of thinking about what makes most sense to him and deciding, regardless of textual or other evidence, that that's how a thing worked. He also doesn't understand that people, across millennia of time and thousands of miles of space and myriad cultures, place different values on different things and thus, for example, claims ritual warfare never existed. Those aren't his only issues, though:

I am so unknowledgeable about history and such that I do not understand the complaints. Obviously his opinions on women, sure, but as for the other stuff I just have to take other goons' words for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Archonex posted:

So have they fixed the chaos invasion issue in Warhammer's ME yet?

Because goddamn is that a boner killer. You've got this huge world map full of interesting stuff and then it just gets kneecapped by an end game crisis targeting you.

There's a beta patch that more or less does the trick.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I am so unknowledgeable about history and such that I do not understand the complaints. Obviously his opinions on women, sure, but as for the other stuff I just have to take other goons' words for it.

My comments are adapted from at least two professional historians, if that helps as far as word. Imagine if the scientific method stopped at "hypothesis" and that's pretty much his problem.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

I don't think so really, Attila is more about Rome vs barbarians, whereas this is gonna be lots of little Romes duking it out.

Rome vs Gaulish Rome vs Syrian not-Rome and also there are goths, plagues and the average emperor lasts around a year before some general gets ambitious, gets hailed imperator and stabs the current emperor. Rinse and repeat until Aurelian goes and reabsorbs the mini Romes until he is betrayed and stabbed in the back*, and then Diocletian comes up and Makes Rome Great Again(tm), laying down the foundation of the Dominate, which will be more or less how the empire was ruled until at least the time of Justinian, 400 years later**. I'm pretty excited to see how much of a clusterfuck this will turn into, every general will need a loyalty mechanic that goes down as their skill goes up, in order to really capture that vicious cycle.

*oversimplified obviously

**I mean the whole "tetrarchy" thing didnt last past him stepping down as emperor but it was a good idea as long as Diocletian was the senior emperor keeping everyone else in line.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Trip report from new beta patch for rome 2.

I haven't played much so far but the political changes are really, really extensive. Factions are no longer just "elder chiefs" or whatever, they now seem to have completely unique names and randomly generated traits (I got one that really likes greeks and expanding). Sadly there doesn't look to be too much differences between govtypes except that empire is markedly harder to get into and is also by far the best.

Also they've replaced the internet browser with an in-game encyclopedia! Sadly it's not nearly as extensive: seems like there's no navigation from section to section (I. E. you click on a building and get it's entire build tree, but there's no section that lists all the buildings.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

NewMars posted:

Also they've replaced the internet browser with an in-game encyclopedia! Sadly it's not nearly as extensive: seems like there's no navigation from section to section (I. E. you click on a building and get it's entire build tree, but there's no section that lists all the buildings.

Can you see the skill trees anywhere yet?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Krazyface posted:

Can you see the skill trees anywhere yet?

Yes. The skill level up interface has been upgraded so that you can see what each skill leads to when selected.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NewMars posted:

Yes. The skill level up interface has been upgraded so that you can see what each skill leads to when selected.

Fixing the encyclopedia alone means i might reinstall rome 2 for this.

Don Gato posted:

Rome vs Gaulish Rome vs Syrian not-Rome and also there are goths, plagues and the average emperor lasts around a year before some general gets ambitious, gets hailed imperator and stabs the current emperor. Rinse and repeat until Aurelian goes and reabsorbs the mini Romes until he is betrayed and stabbed in the back*, and then Diocletian comes up and Makes Rome Great Again(tm), laying down the foundation of the Dominate, which will be more or less how the empire was ruled until at least the time of Justinian, 400 years later**. I'm pretty excited to see how much of a clusterfuck this will turn into, every general will need a loyalty mechanic that goes down as their skill goes up, in order to really capture that vicious cycle.

*oversimplified obviously

**I mean the whole "tetrarchy" thing didnt last past him stepping down as emperor but it was a good idea as long as Diocletian was the senior emperor keeping everyone else in line.

Warhammer was goof for introducing a lot of non-standard win conditions, I hope we are allowed to start extremely stupid wars and acquire petty grudges and tear the empire apart for our pleasure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If they ever got back to Empire then, chances of declaring war over alleged physical mutiliation and insults just tripled!

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
270 was the year Aurelian was acclaimed so he's definitely the "save Rome" guy. Hope there's also an option to play as one of the more self-centered factions where a victory is keeping your head on and also remaining wealthy and influential. The empire can burn.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Playing the beta for the Rome 2 update. Feels like it performs and maybe looks a bit better (I don't see as many jaggy spears/pikes). Favorite new feature is that right-clicking on things like buildings no longer loads the slow-rear end encyclopedia, but a quick in-game pop-up that shows the actual tree as opposed to whatever the hell it was supposed to be before.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Doing away with the HTML encyclopedia is great and I wish they'd do it for all their games. Take a hint for Warhammer 2 at least.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So I'm trying out Rome 2 now, having skipped it the first time around. Any must-have mods or anything? Not looking for DEI style overhauls.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fuligin posted:

So I'm trying out Rome 2 now, having skipped it the first time around. Any must-have mods or anything? Not looking for DEI style overhauls.

4 turns per year (with seasons) is nice. Otherwise, with one turn per year your generals/agents age out and die before they can acquire decent skills

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The online encyclopedia is still the most baffling design decision to me. I can't think of any benefit from it. Very happy it's gone.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Billzasilver posted:

The online encyclopedia is still the most baffling design decision to me. I can't think of any benefit from it. Very happy it's gone.

Well you see it's a 50GB install but you have to keep that few extra hundred MBs in the cloud.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hmmm yes plain text, exactly what the could was invented for

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Fuligin posted:

Nothing 'must have', but as I've gotten back heavily into Rome2, I use the following, and the game is very serviceable:

Charge changes
Results in more 'meshing' in combat after charges. Probably my favourite mod, as something that I hated in Rome 2 at first is how hoplite phalanxes would charge each other at an awkward angle and only two three guys would fight, the rest of the block stopping dead. This also makes things like standing still and shield wall more important so that enemy doesnt break through easily.

Fog of war no city icons
Removes the city icons on the unexplored fog of war.

Unit building icon info
Adds mini-icons on the building icons so you can quickly see what costs food/ raises happiness, etc. I find it useful as you grow beyond 15-20 provinces to tell the state of your cities at a glance.

Unit stats extra info
Something that annoyed me was that I could not see archer range and the USELESS encyclopaedia only would have 'these guys have great range!' comment.

Campaign HD textures
Campaign Ocean HD texture
After spending so much time playing attila, Rome 2 textures are abonimable.

General graphics:
Extended battle/ campaign camera mod
More battle particles
No HDR mod

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

Doing away with the HTML encyclopedia is great and I wish they'd do it for all their games. Take a hint for Warhammer 2 at least.

Apparently the issue is that they want to be able to update it real time with patch changes but nobody uses the loving things cause it loads so slow anyway. It is a treat playing the older games and just BAM useful information.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh man, rome 2 without the fukken encyclopedia. sooooo good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Apparently the issue is that they want to be able to update it real time with patch changes but nobody uses the loving things cause it loads so slow anyway. It is a treat playing the older games and just BAM useful information.

has there been a total war that had an ingame encylcopedia that was good? i didnt play napoleon or empire much but rome/med2 have frustratingly incomplete stats and shogun 2 on has the html bullshit

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Plan Z posted:

But when there's a patch change there's a patch, which means they could push the updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

has there been a total war that had an ingame encylcopedia that was good? i didnt play napoleon or empire much but rome/med2 have frustratingly incomplete stats and shogun 2 on has the html bullshit

Everything before shogun was built into the game, aka no online encyclopedia.

Before rome 2 there were less stats and most werent that important.

Shogun 2 had much less crap to surf through compared to rome 2, so it passed. Like 40 tabs total vs rome's 1000+