Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lepage is more overtly racist than Trump. That's how bad he is.

Also more openly dictatorial, what with his calls to end the free and open press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Maine has a huge problem where nothing really lines up with national political parties so you have a bunch of weird stuff like the most liberal republican and an ultra republican governor and a bunch of independents winning stuff.

Like maine has a 40% gun ownership rate but like the third lowest per capita murder rate of any state and everyone is generically racist but race is rarely a real issue for voters because everyone is already white and people don't really move here much at all.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Office Pig posted:

Also more openly dictatorial, what with his calls to end the free and open press.

and more stupid. He tried a pocket veto but it backfired. I think that was him.

Why is his state terrible/why did they elect him in the first place?(besides too many white people)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Amused to Death posted:

So Le Page is saying he won't implement medicaid expansion

Le Page is a walking argument to bring back drawing and quartering.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maine has a huge problem where nothing really lines up with national political parties so you have a bunch of weird stuff like the most liberal republican and an ultra republican governor and a bunch of independents winning stuff.

Like maine has a 40% gun ownership rate but like the third lowest per capita murder rate of any state and everyone is generically racist but race is rarely a real issue for voters because everyone is already white and people don't really move here much at all.

Maine is woods and a seaside. The state has like 97% tree cover.

Also Portland.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PhazonLink posted:

Why is his state terrible/why did they elect him in the first place?(besides too many white people)

Vote splitting.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 8, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PhazonLink posted:

Three-way race between LePage, the Democratic candidate, and independent candidate Eliot Cutler, where Cutler ate into the Democrat's numbers and allowed LePage to win with a plurality.

This happened twice.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No wonder the people voted in ranked-choice voting!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Isn't Le Page the psycho governor?

Yes, but Eliot Cutler is the Third Way rear end in a top hat who split the Democratic vote both times and allowed LePage to win with like 38%.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

"The mayor's a ni*BONG*"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So how is the count on the Virginia assembly looking?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

I was wondering this myself. Are we at +15 or +16? The latter is a guaranteed tie in the legislature, the former is a 1-vote minority...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Amused to Death posted:

Recounts. 49-47 are the current confirmed/conceded counts. Looks like a 50-50 split at the moment, but it could easily tip in favor of the dems if that 12-vote R district flips.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

B B posted:

I don't like this, but only because it presumes Democrats lose 2020. :smith:

President Duckworth's health takes an abrupt turn for the worse (:(), Acting President Kamala Harris decides not to run in 2024

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I'm really jazzed to see where Fairfax ends up.

Well, I can more or less guarantee that he'll be frontrunner for the Democratic nomination for governor four years from now, that being the real purpose of the position of Lieutenant Governor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

President Duckworth's health takes an abrupt turn for the worse (:(), Acting President Kamala Harris decides not to run in 2024

obviously Bernie will be too old to run for a second term. Besides, having brought about the dictatorship of the proletariat, his work will be done by then anyways.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Quorum posted:

Well, I can more or less guarantee that he'll be frontrunner for the Democratic nomination for governor four years from now, that being the real purpose of the position of Lieutenant Governor.

Not Mark Herring? He's in his second term as VA AG and he might be looking for the big chair next time...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ragnar34 posted:

Do we have any interesting dem candidates yet? Is Roem eligible? How about that Sikh guy, he seems cool. Let's have a low drama infrastructure-focused president. The 2024 ad campaign writes itself.
"The republicans have been wasting their breath complaining about my avatar/postcount as well as the national debt, conveniently forgetting that the last two republican presidents expanded that debt to pay for needless wars and tax cuts on the rich. Meanwhile, I've spent four years advocating for important issues -- roads, bridges, dams, and taxes. And trains, and science, and electronics manufacturing. And self-driving cars, and definitions of “rural”. My name is fishmech and I'll see you next year."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928239402505179141

50/50 right now with 3 GOP wins and 1 Dem win up for recount/provisional ballot counting.

One of those 3 GOP wins was by 12 votes.

I've got hope.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The House of Delegates wins could mean huge changes for Northern Virginia.

https://www.arlnow.com/2017/11/08/democratic-gains-in-va-house-give-arlington-officials-hope/

ARLNow posted:

Democratic Gains in Va. House Give Arlington Officials Hope

Heartened by Democratic gains in the Virginia House of Delegates in last night’s election, local Democrats are hopeful for progress in Richmond on issues important to Arlington County.

Democrats had picked up 14 seats in the House on Tuesday, with the remaining four seats subject to re-counts and late results.

By early Wednesday, control was tied 50-50 after Democrats picked up another two seats overnight, a big change from the 66-34 advantage Republicans had enjoyed.

And with the Arlington County Board set to finalize its legislative agenda for the 2018 Virginia General Assembly session, which convenes in January, several elected officials said local issues can make some headway in Richmond.

One particularly important issue is Metro, which local leaders say needs a dedicated funding source to help ease its budget worries. Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) said he will propose a dedicated funding source in what would be a symbolic move at the end of his term.

But with Governor-Elect Ralph Northam (D) to be joined by fellow Democrats Justin Fairfax and Mark Herring as lieutenant governor and attorney general, respectively, County Board member Christian Dorsey said that combined with more Democrats in the House could mean more advocates for Metro.

“It’s a game-changer for Arlington, because one of the things on our agenda that we’re trying to figure out, a dedicated funding source for Metro, we didn’t even feel we could bring it forward this year,” Dorsey, who represents Arlington on Metro’s Board of Directors, said. “Now we can, and now we will. It can be a potential game-changer for Arlington and the region.”

“It helps us in Arlington,” said Erik Gutshall, who won Tuesday’s election to the County Board to replace retiring chair Jay Fisette. “The biggest thing that was on my mind that helps me rest a little easier is Metro. I think that was not talked about much, but was hanging in the balance. The way it could have gone differently, it would have been crucial.”

And beyond Metro funding, County Board vice chair Katie Cristol said more Democrats in the House could mean greater investment and advocacy for other transit in Virginia, including the Virginia Railway Express.

Cristol said the election of Danica Roem in the 13th District could be a big help, as she has emphasized solving transportation issues in Prince William County and Manassas Park City.

“One of the things everybody is talking about, even nationally, is Danica Roem being a groundbreaker in terms of transgender equality,” Cristol said, referring to Roem’s election as the first openly transgender state lawmaker. “But I’ve been cheering for her because she’s such a champion for VRE. I think we’re excited about the opportunity to have partners in things we care about like transport funding.”

Beyond those region-specific issues, Del. Alfonso Lopez (D) said in a victory speech that House Democrats can start to look ahead and try and pass issues important to progressives. For Arlington, Dorsey pointed to the long-debated Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act, as well as looking to the future of the environment.

“Medicaid expansion would be great to provide a bulwark for what’s going on with the federal government trying to destabilize the health insurance market places. That would be a great thing for Virginians,” he said. “We’ve been trying to do some things on the energy and environmental sustainability side with solar power. These don’t necessarily become real this year, but we can now see a path forward to work toward over the next couple of years.”

Dorsey added that with the new Democrats in the House means that Arlington can be less defensive in its legislative package, and start to advocate more vigorously for issues that matter to its elected officials and residents.

(Among the “wish list” items that were a long shot under GOP control but which may find traction: renaming Jefferson Davis Highway.)

“Our legislative agenda has always been, ‘How can we prevent them from doing the most harm to us, and then how can we build the groundwork to maybe move incrementally forward,'” Dorsey said. “Now we have a chance to say, ‘Hey, we can get some wins.’ So it’s terrific.”

The Arlington County Democratic Committee, meanwhile, attributed the record voter turnout in Arlington to grassroots organizing and opposition to President Donald Trump.

“The thousands of volunteer hours Arlington County Democratic Committee, the Virginia Democratic Party, and Arlington’s progressive grassroots organizations spent registering voters, knocking on doors, and making calls sends a strong message endorsing Democratic leadership,” ACDC said in a statement Tuesday night. “Arlingtonians voted in record numbers in person and via absentee voting, demonstrating that they have a clear idea of where Virginia should go – and it’s not the way of Donald Trump and current national policies.”

“Tonight is a tremendous victory for Arlington and Virginia,” said ACDC Chair Kip Malinosky. “However, as President Obama once said ‘This victory is not the change we seek, but the chance to make that change.’ We must now work to expand Medicaid, work for women’s reproductive health, invest in better schools, and train the workforce of the future – because yes, we still can.”

This is all incredibly good news for my hometown :unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ragnar34 posted:

Do we have any interesting dem candidates yet? Is Roem eligible? How about that Sikh guy, he seems cool. Let's have a low drama infrastructure-focused president. The 2024 ad campaign writes itself.
"The republicans have been wasting their breath complaining about my turban/pronouns as well as the national debt, conveniently forgetting that the last two republican presidents expanded that debt to pay for needless wars and tax cuts on the rich. Meanwhile, I've spent four years advocating for repair -- roads, bridges, dams, and taxes. My name is [name] and I'll see you next year."

People just getting elected to mayor and to state houses aren't going jump to presidential material in 3 years, they need time to work up the chain

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ague Proof posted:

Vote splitting.

Who the gently caress is Eliot Cutler and why didn't he get a clue

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ague Proof posted:

Vote splitting.

If you, as an electorate, fall for this twice, you kinda get the government you deserve.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Non-ranked voting systems suck

Instant runoff and STV everywhere please

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'd put more blame on the Democrats in 2010 for getting Lepage elected in the first place.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928340923817349121

poo poo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hey man, don't sweat it. Even if you don't take the majority, you overperformed and have another shot in two years. You done good kid. :glomp:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If you, as an electorate, fall for this twice, you kinda get the government you deserve.

just look at all the people who were old enough to remember ralph nader fervently posting in support of jill stein voting

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Actually taking control of the HoD this year was on nobody's radar two days ago. Still gettable votes for poo poo like Medicaid expansion, and they can't ram through a nonsense district map with a majority this slim.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

evilweasel posted:

just look at all the people who were old enough to remember ralph nader fervently posting in support of jill stein voting

To be fair to the people of Maine, after it happened they went "God drat it!" and passed a referendum to have ranked voting as was said. It's not like they are unaware or uninterested in how they got hosed here. They'd be the first in the nation to have a system like that, which isn't a small feat. Of course the legislature put it off til 2022, hoping it will fail to be worded legally acceptable because of their Constitution, but if people are simply as motivated as they were to pass it it'll still make it. At which point Maine will have a system that allows you to vote for the guy you really want and still avoid the guy you really don't.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey man, don't sweat it. Even if you don't take the majority, you overperformed and have another shot in two years. You done good kid. :glomp:

A tie would be really good. Still a chance of a whole lot more back and forth on this. They also noted that they mistyped and the GOP lead in that race is now 115 votes, not 15.

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928344002172276737

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928344261543817216

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928344638611709952

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

A tie would be really good. Still a chance of a whole lot more back and forth on this. They also noted that they mistyped and the GOP lead in that race is now 115 votes, not 15.

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928344002172276737

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928344261543817216

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928344638611709952

I asked in the Trump thread, but what are provisional ballots in VA like? Do people who voted provisionally need to show up with ID, do anything, or what's the story there?

THIS FUCKING GUY
Apr 26, 2008

i wouldn't freak out about the periodic updates, they're going to be tweaking the counts all day. right now it's 48 D - 47 R outside the <%1 margin for recounts, with the 5 seats too close to certify all being Rep-held seats (in one of them a Democrat is leading by >300 votes, and in another the incumbent Republican is only leading by 12 votes, and that's without counting provisional votes which pretty universally skew Democratic)

the worst-case scenario if all the too-close-to-call races stay red after re-canvassing and recounting is still better than the best-case scenario anyone could have dreamed up 24 hours ago

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I did my own research:

quote:

Provisional Ballots are not counted on Election Day. Your local Electoral Board will meet the day after the election to begin its determination of provisional votes. Voters who did not present photo ID have until noon on Monday after the election to present photo ID. The votes of qualified voters will then be counted and included in the results for your locality.
https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/voter-rights-responsibilities/index.html

If you're in Virginia you should make very sure everyone who you know knows that if they voted by provisional ballot they have to do this asap. Especially if they're in one of those 5 tossups: even if nobody you know didn't have ID, they may know someone who didn't.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This time yesterday a 4 point Northam win with the Dems taking 7 delegate seats would have been seen as a great result. So it's kind of funny how I'm kind of depressed now that the Dems might end up with "just" 15 or 16 delegate seats amid a 9 point Northam runaway.

Politics are a bitch.

Really good things can still be accomplished in Virginia even if the Dems don't quite have a majority right?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

what's provisional ballot checking like in VA? what needs to happen for them to be counted?

Glad you asked! There are 3 categories that make you cast a provisional ballot:

Non-registered
No ID
Other

The total number of provisional ballots cast was 4,842. However the key thing is how many are in each of these House of Delegates races which unfortunately the VA Elections website doesn't list.

For historical reference this is what happened in 2013's AG race:

Wikipedia posted:

On the night of the election (November 5th, 2013), Obenshain held a 1,200 vote lead over Herring. Vote totals fluctuated as ballots were canvassed in the following days, and the race remained too close to call. On November 12, 2013, with all ballots counted, Herring held a 165-vote lead, or less than 0.01%, and Obenshain requested a recount. Herring's total increased during the recount, so Obenshain conceded the election on December 18, 2013, and later that day, the recount ended with Herring winning by 907 votes, or 0.04%.

So it might be a while before we know what the hell happened.

THIS FUCKING GUY
Apr 26, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This time yesterday a 4 point Northam win with the Dems taking 7 delegate seats would have been seen as a great result. So it's kind of funny how I'm kind of depressed now that the Dems might end up with "just" 15 or 16 delegate seats amid a 9 point Northam runaway.

Politics are a bitch.

Really good things can still be accomplished in Virginia even if the Dems don't quite have a majority right?

no doubt. the whole House of Delegates is up again in 2019 which will be another Trump midterm if he manages to stay in office that long, and there are a lot of Republican incumbents who won by small enough margins against unheralded challengers who are going to be pretty desperate to demonstrate some bipartisan bona fides. Northam just has to coax a couple of them to pass something

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

People just getting elected to mayor and to state houses aren't going jump to presidential material in 3 years, they need time to work up the chain

Nah, they could probably manage it if they try really hard. I mean like REALLY hard though, so don't tell me I'm being unrealistic. :colbert:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Charlottesville VA had a turbaned Sikh mayor a few years ago! It’s roughly the same size as Hoboken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ragnar34 posted:

Nah, they could probably manage it if they try really hard. I mean like REALLY hard though, so don't tell me I'm being unrealistic. :colbert:

Well, the really young guy who won on gun control I'm pretty sure literally won't be old enough to be eligible lol

• Locked thread