Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I feel like completing the pokedex will be a lot harder now, though, unless it's just the Alolan pokedex that counts, not the national. I'm playing X/Y and iirc you can get a LOT of the national pokedex filled in from there, so that plus Pokemon Bank will be helpful, but I'm still a bit apprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think just finishing the Alola dex gets you the shiny charm - at least it did in SuMo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

I think just finishing the Alola dex gets you the shiny charm - at least it did in SuMo.
Yeah, that's my hope! I'm never going to be able to complete the pokedex proper, I missed the 20th anniversary mythical giveaways because I'm a dumbass. But I can do Alolan. :)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, that's my hope! I'm never going to be able to complete the pokedex proper, I missed the 20th anniversary mythical giveaways because I'm a dumbass. But I can do Alolan. :)

The Pokedex completion bonuses never count the mythicals. Regardless, since the Alola games do not have a National Pokedex, merely completing the Alolan Pokedex (without mythicals - Magearna, Marshadow, and we can guess Zeraora do not count) will get you the Shiny Charm.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok so they didnt add a national pokedex, did they at least make it so every trainer battle isnt 1 idiot with 1 pokemon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is there info on what the obtainable Totem Pokemon are and how they are obtained? I'm trying to choose my team for USUM and if Totem Mimikyu can be obtained in a reasonable amount of time, then there's no way I'm not using it.

It'd give my mono-Fairy team something big and cute and good. Most Fairies are only cute and good, not big!

I also have no idea what non-Alolan Fairies can be obtained in Alola now, so that's info I could use, too.

EDIT: oh poo poo Totem Ribombee too. BIG CUTE FAIRIES! I need them all.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 9, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok so they didnt add a national pokedex, did they at least make it so every trainer battle isnt 1 idiot with 1 pokemon

I mean, its probably similar to base Sun and Moon which were way better about this than most other mainline games.

Especially coming off B/W, X/Y and ORAS.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dunno i had last played ORAS and it seemed like it had all sorts of interesting doubles and triples and rotation battles whereas sumo was 80% squashing single pokes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dunno i had last played ORAS and it seemed like it had all sorts of interesting doubles and triples and rotation battles whereas sumo was 80% squashing single pokes

It can't be helped. The 3DS could barely take battles as-is in Sun and Moon, adding triples and rotation battles would probably destroy the console.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I legitimately don't remember any triple or rotation battles in ORAS. They barely existed in the games that introduced them.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was literally one rotation battle in ORAS and it was an old lady with the poo poo monkeys.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Confirmation that there's no new alolan forms is disappointing, but at least it gives me plenty of time to reconsider my team. Maybe I'll go for a dark mono-type team and see how bad the game's decent bugs push my face in.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
no i would say most still have just one pokemon in the early game. the ultra recon squad so far has had single furfrou first encounter, single adhesive second

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hustlin Floh posted:

There was literally one rotation battle in ORAS and it was an old lady with the poo poo monkeys.

Somewhere out there is the one person who loves the elemental monkeys and just doesn't get the hate

They must be very lonely

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

Somewhere out there is the one person who loves the elemental monkeys and just doesn't get the hate

They must be very lonely

I will find them and rend them apart with my bare hands.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

They must be very lonely

I think their name is "Game Freak".

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

I think their name is "Game Freak".

That's why Pansear just got Flare Blitz and Pansage got Spiky Shield.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

simisage rules and you're going to jail for hating it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

i like the element monkeys

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

cheetah7071 posted:

They must be very lonely

It's me. I like the monkeys and honestly don't get the hate. :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like one of the element monkeys, but I won't tell you which one.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Pokedex completion bonuses never count the mythicals. Regardless, since the Alola games do not have a National Pokedex, merely completing the Alolan Pokedex (without mythicals - Magearna, Marshadow, and we can guess Zeraora do not count) will get you the Shiny Charm.
Oh, I figured they'd add the national pokedex! I mean... they probably didn't for exactly this reason.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

oddium posted:

simisage rules and you're going to jail for hating it

Hell yeah, Simisage is the best one and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I like the element monkeys. Even Simipour has a sort of Dr. Seuss vibe to it. Are they my favorite looking pokemon? No. But they're solidly okay, except for Simisage, which is cool.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've only played one round of Mantine Surf and never want to again.

So instead of watching a cutscene of riding a boat, you have to play a surfing mini-game. It's timed and involves going up and down a wave and doing tricks by pressing a direction. At the end of my first trip I was awarded 2BP. The game then forces the player and Hau back to the same dock they would have arrived at and the event plays as normal.

There are no Zygarde cubes. The shining item on the beach was a message in a bottle for a character. Heahea seems to have a Mantine Surf building in the empty lot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dehry posted:

I've only played one round of Mantine Surf and never want to again.

So instead of watching a cutscene of riding a boat, you have to play a surfing mini-game. It's timed and involves going up and down a wave and doing tricks by pressing a direction. At the end of my first trip I was awarded 2BP. The game then forces the player and Hau back to the same dock they would have arrived at and the event plays as normal.
Wait, this just replaces the boats? I thought it was going to be a new Ride Pokemon, or at least something in its own separate minigame zone. :psyduck:

What a weird-rear end decision.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

cheetah7071 posted:

They must be very lonely
It's literally one of the devs (the one you fight in B/W whose team is half monkeys, I assume).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The one with the pompadour is very cute

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pikachu Valley is between Heahea and Paniola Ranch. It looked like a shortcut into Brooklet Hill

Haifisch posted:

Wait, this just replaces the boats? I thought it was going to be a new Ride Pokemon, or at least something in its own separate minigame zone. :psyduck:

What a weird-rear end decision.

I'm hoping it's not all of them, but I get the feeling I'll be playing it again. The dialogue made it sound like I had a choice but setup a flag on the added beach.

I also just noticed Hau is running around with his Brionne out of its pokeball and he just points for it to go out in battle.

E: Also I swear the battle themes are changing based on some kind of criteria.

E2: Gladion has a Zorua now and wasn't animated in his loss pose.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 9, 2017

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, it seems Sonic Forces has another new character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEl6AI4-5Sg&t=119s

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lana is being truthful about what her trial does now. The gates are before going downhill.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think simipour is cute. i named mine brook

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I consider the Elemental monkeys to be a half-baked idea but I do get the intent that they're mimicking the starters and are supposed to be a tutorial for the game's type triangle.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Poipole is only known as Poipole. No UB code name.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dehry posted:

Poipole is only known as Poipole. No UB code name.

I thought they revealed it as UB: Adhesive?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After kicking out the Sudowoodo the URS came in and fought me calling it Poipole. First time it showed up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also found this list of locations for the new pokemon in the dex. This is just Moon so you can replace the version exclusives with the other one.

quote:

Ekans: Route 2
Seel: Surf in Seaward Cave
Mime Jr.: Hau'oli City
Smoochum: Seaward Cave
Furfrou: Hau'oli City
Dunsparce: Route 2
Remoraid: Fish in Melemele Sea
Mantyke: Surf in Melemele Sea
Mawile: Ten Carat Hill
Clamperl: Fish in Melemele Sea
Buneary: Route 1
Zorua: Trainer's School
Flabebe: Melemele Meadow
Inkay: Route 1 (South part)
Hawlucha: Route 3
Noibat: Verdant Cavern

Hoothoot: Lush Jungle
Natu: Memorial Hill
Mareep: Paniola Ranch
Larvitar: Diglett's Tunnel
Kecleon: "Dividing Peak Tunnel" (level 17-20, new area I assume is in Akala based on level)
Basculin: Fish in Brooklet Hill
Larvesta: Lush Jungle (Strength Cave only)

Pineco: Route 10
Manectric: Route 12
Baltoy: SOS from Krokorok in Haina Desert (maybe Dugtrio too? not sure how to read SOS table exactly)
Shuppet: Thrifty Megamart
Scraggy: Route 15
Minccino: Malie City (Outer Cape)
Frillish: Surf in Route 14
Elgyem: Mount Hokulani
Bisharp: Route 17 (seems to be encountered as a Bisharp despite being far under its evo level of 52)

Lickitung: Poni Gauntlet
Aipom: Poni Plains
Heracross: Poni Groves
Corphish: Fish in Vast Poni Canyon
Tropius: Exeggutor Island
Mienfoo: Vast Poni Canyon
Druddigon: Resolution Cave
Pyroar: Poni Plains
Dragalge: Ancient Poni Path

Omanyte/Kabuto/Lileep/Anorith/Tyrunt/Amaura are likely available in Konikoni City. Golurk is nowhere to be seen - might be a version exclusive? No sight of Houndour line either but we knew that was a version exclusive.

Its missing more than a few mons. I know for instance the list is missing Murkrow in the cemetary.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 9, 2017

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Oh yeah, speaking of Pineco. They eat Cutiefly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zore posted:

Also found this list of locations for the new pokemon in the dex. This is just Moon so you can replace the version exclusives with the other one.

You can catch freaking Larvitar in Diglett's Tunnel, but they still won't let you go after Scyther before the post-game? Or did they change up Scyther's drops as well and I just overlooked it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

the_steve posted:

You can catch freaking Larvitar in Diglett's Tunnel, but they still won't let you go after Scyther before the post-game? Or did they change up Scyther's drops as well and I just overlooked it?

Yeah, looks like its still stuck in the rear end end of Poni island.

Here's the encounter table for reference

https://gist.github.com/SciresM/deecdcf5fc49fc8191a29d111643c6b6

Some other weirdness; Bisharp appears at level 36 and you can only get Pawniard through SOS. Volcarona is one of those 1% SOS pokemon like Salamence if you want one before level 59 :shepicide: