Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, I take it the books/hidden quest are both just a matter of mashing X on everyone in town, there's never obvious telegraphing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, I take it the books/hidden quest are both just a matter of mashing X on everyone in town, there's never obvious telegraphing?

yeah, though the hidden quests on free days are at least only available during evenings so that gives you a specific time to go around talking to everyone, and books are only found on field trips.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Alright, thanks! :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

books are only found on field trips.

The first & last Red Moon Rose volumes are in Trista; and of course the pawnshop will sell any that you recently missed.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yeah its only quests and treasure chests and bonding events that are missable

Books and recipes can always be bought, but they're kinda expensive

Actually fishing is weird too. I know I missed one or two fishing spots but I still got 100%

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah its only quests and treasure chests and bonding events that are missable

Books and recipes can always be bought, but they're kinda expensive

Actually fishing is weird too. I know I missed one or two fishing spots but I still got 100%

I think fish you miss eventually show up in Trista late game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

somehow the pond behind the Thors gymnasium contains every species of fish in the Empire, and most whales

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Same with the river in town. Some fish might appear in the river, but not the pond and vice versa. That said, if you've missed one or two fishing spots and have to rely on the pond/river to get the missing fish, prepare to use a lot of ground baits. It's worth it, though, since getting 100% on fishing can get you some amazing stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think I played through half the game before I realized the pond in the gardening area was also a fishing pond.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

I think I played through half the game before I realized the pond in the gardening area was also a fishing pond.

I had a similar thing with Micht's shop, whose exchange stock is divided between several tabs, which I didn't notice until waaaaay into the game.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Out of curiosity, where is the unlisted quest on the first field trip? I went around talking to everyone I could find, and thought maybe it had to do with the family whose daughter goes to Thors, since they gave me some unique dialogue, but all I ultimately found were the story quests, and the side stuff that Sara gave us at the start of each day.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Omi no Kami posted:

Out of curiosity, where is the unlisted quest on the first field trip?

At the end of day 1 (after you do all the required quests but before you return to the inn), the merchant who's daughter goes to Thors gives you a quest to help run his shop stall.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

astr0man posted:

At the end of day 1 (after you do all the required quests but before you return to the inn), the merchant who's daughter goes to Thors gives you a quest to help run his shop stall.

Ooh so I was close... thank you! I figured I'd missed it by going on with the plot ^^

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Lol the quest where Alisa definitely doesn't act suspicious at all

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I kind of like how, no matter how well the player does, Alisa still outdoes Rean no matter what because her background gives her that much of a natural advantage over him as opposed to the "player is always better at everything"-schtick.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Erpy posted:

I kind of like how, no matter how well the player does, Alisa still outdoes Rean no matter what because her background gives her that much of a natural advantage over him as opposed to the "player is always better at everything"-schtick.

Well, not quite.... If you do everything perfectly you just beat her on the mid-terms, Though 7th is the highest Rean can get.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's referring to the sidequest in Chapter 1.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

oh right, forgot about that. Never mind!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Belated post, I finished Chapter 6 a ways back early last month.

Fie you're a bad role model.

:getout:

Probably going to finish the game through the end of the year--I just can't hold it in for much longer!

EDIT: There was a Drama CD for this exact point in the game, right? Before the beginning of the last chapter? Was there a translation for it anywhere?
EDIT 2: Nevermind, found it on the XSEED CS2 site
edit 3: wow rean

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 2, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any word on TOCS2 release date? I seem to remember December being mooted as a probable release period

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

tithin posted:

Any word on TOCS2 release date? I seem to remember December being mooted as a probable release period

They're now talking "early 2018", but that's as much detail as they've given.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Belated post, I finished Chapter 6 a ways back early last month.

Fie you're a bad role model.

The funny part is: the achievement picture of getting in a certain amount of preemptive attacks depicts Fie sneaking around disguised as a cardboard box. (with a Mishy picture on it)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

What was the context of this image again?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Crow suggesting the girls get into bikinis for the festival.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah the three of them sat on one side of the table that time and just responded with no break in pace at all.

I still have no idea what Ouroboros is like other than they're mysterious and make robots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I still have no idea what Ouroboros is like other than they're mysterious and make robots

thats the long and short of it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, they own.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cyouni posted:

What was the context of this image again?

Some Numbers posted:

Crow suggesting the girls get into bikinis for the festival.

Not just that, he suggested the girls put on bikinis and hold a wrestling contest in the pool. The screenshot is Laura, Alisa and Fie letting him know in unison what exactly they thought of that. :allears:

Yeah the three of them sat on one side of the table that time and just responded with no break in pace at all.

If this is your first Trails game, this is pretty much the only thing you're expected to know of them other than the fact Sara butted heads with them before. You learn quite a bit more about them in the Trails in the Sky games.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 3, 2017

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I’d like to play Cold Steel PC (and the rest of the series), but all I’ve got in terms of a computer is a recent-model MacBook laptop. If I got windows on it via Boot Camp, could I play these games?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I’d like to play Cold Steel PC (and the rest of the series), but all I’ve got in terms of a computer is a recent-model MacBook laptop. If I got windows on it via Boot Camp, could I play these games?

You could definitely play the Sky Trilogy since it can basically run on xp tier old windows netbooks. Cold Steel is very well optimized but I don't know enough about emulating windows on mac to make a definitive call.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I ran cold steel on a 2013 laptop with half the ram malfunctioning and it worked great

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
It took me 78 hours but I'm finally done. I spent the last couple chapters wishing the game would just end already, but it was worth it. What a great ending, I can't wait for the sequel. The coolness of the mech fight was kind of undermined by the fact that it took me like 6 or 7 tries to beat it

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The sequel fortunately makes that particular mechanic a lot less frustrating.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I crossed the finish line just a couple of days ago on Friday. It was my first Trails game that I'd played more than an hour of, and my first turn-based-but-not-tactical-grid-based JRPG that I'd played since uhhh Bravely Default 1 iirc. There is just so much...STUFF! in the game! I never would have believed the number of programmers were outnumbered by the number of writers until I saw the credits. I stopped caring that I was playing a PC port of a 2015 PS3 game very, very early.
Best part about the final twist was first the feeling that the gang had achieved something great after the last dungeon, then everything hitting as if the game were saying "nuh uh you aint getting off easy!", and then having to fight the last battle IN A STATE OF SHELLSHOCK from what's going on. :allbuttons:
By the way, Elliot's dad sounded exactly the way I imagined he would.

I'm glad I stuck it through the cyclical chapters and enjoyed so many character interactions along the way. They really added to the weight and UGH I GUESS emotional investment from spending the time with it in chunks since earlier this year. I have a Vita and I'm desperately holding myself back from the PS Store for II! Is it safe to go back to the Falcom thread now? I'm a bit curious about the Japanese PS4 remakes of Cold Steel that were announced to be released next spring.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The ps4 versions are basically the PC versions (or in Cold Steel 2's case, the future PC version).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have a Vita and I'm desperately holding myself back from the PS Store for II! Is it safe to go back to the Falcom thread now? I'm a bit curious about the Japanese PS4 remakes of Cold Steel that were announced to be released next spring.

The main Falcom thread doesn't skirt around FC/SC stuff at all, is a bit tighter-lipped with 3rd (but not very), and CS2 spoilers are also either directly said or can be easily inferred from things we talk about.

If you hold out for CS2 PC, you'll be able to have Turbo Mode and 60 FPS and autosaves and way, way better graphics. Ganbatte.

We don't really know much about the PS4 releases other than "has a Turbo Mode" and "better graphics".

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
My fever dream is that they run on the ToCS3 engine instead of using upscaled versions of the PS3-oriented assets from this port. (From what I've read, no in-game images have appeared yet, yeah?) In addition to ToCS1+2, it looks like Falcom's used PhyreEngine for a bunch of games like Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu which look nice but screenshots of legendofcoldsteel part iii look so extra and gooder

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cs3 is the same engine or whatever they just redid all the models

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah cs3 is just a matter of having time and money for actual shadow and lighting effects and decent character models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Apparantly Ys VIII has its own engine, rather than the PhyreEngine.

Also, if you enjoyed Cold Steel 1, give the Trails in the Sky games a try. A lot of references in the Cold Steel games sail right over your head if you're unfamiliar with them.

• Locked thread