Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Three way war is fun. Look at Three Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is this when Nvidia announces their entrance into the CPU market?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It's only fun when at least two of the three are competent. Right now we have a juggernaut, a skinny guy with butterfingers, and a small child with rich uncles.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We used to call it poaching back in the day. Guess it's just normal now.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

NewFatMike posted:

This has been the most buck wild week of GPU news
This cannot be said enough. This week has no equal in terms of impossibly weird news that sounds like the tech version of the Onion.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

DrDork posted:

It's only fun when at least two of the three are competent. Right now we have a juggernaut, a skinny guy with butterfingers, and a small child with rich uncles.
The same Three Kingdom analogy as Strategist Zhuge Liang (Raja, intel) singlehandedly convinced the skinny guy kingdom of Wu (AMD) to team up against Cao Cao (Nvdia).

Did Raja orchestrated AMD and Intel against Nvidia!? Join us next time in conspiracy theory!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Raja Koduri as Chief Architect means like, Chief Architect of just the GPUs I assume? He's not actually like, a talented architect up against Intel's staff, is he?

wargames posted:

All LEDS are terrible and shouldn't be allowed on computers.

I tape over all of mine with bits of black gaffer's tape, it blocks out the light completely and doesn't leave any residue.

ufarn posted:

We used to call it poaching back in the day. Guess it's just normal now.

Lately the anti-poaching stuff has been a lot more unethical than the poaching.

Edit: Also, how do we know AMD isn't thrilled to be rid of him? Maybe they thing he'll bring down Intel instead of them now...

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 9, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

ZobarStyl posted:

This cannot be said enough. This week has no equal in terms of impossibly weird news that sounds like the tech version of the Onion.

AMD and Nvidia should announce a merger tomorrow.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Windows 11 announced to only run on powerpc

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

They should... they need to combine forces to survive Kodurintel's onslaught. Only two can survive, no one wants to be the Dreamcast in a 3-way battle.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
realistically speaking what does Nvidia gain from joining with AMD. It seems like only AMD gains from it. Ryzen+GTX APU oh baby

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Access to an x86 license.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 9, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Access to an x86 license.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Don Lapre posted:

Raja got a big pay day

When you are in a leadership position in any big company you fail upwards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

Raja got a big pay day

Lisa just can't satisfy Raja with a tiny Asian budget like that, he needs a burly American cash reserve for his designs to reach their climax

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Like it cannot be understated how AMD+Nvidia would so totally gently caress over Intel. The stumbling block is the legalese of such a merger would have to prevent tripping up what ever clause is in the x86 agreement that might cause AMD to forfeit it. I think all they'd have to do is say Nvidia is merging into AMD rather than the other way around and Intel could only choke on their impotent rage.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fauxtool posted:

realistically speaking what does Nvidia gain from joining with AMD. It seems like only AMD gains from it. Ryzen+GTX APU oh baby

A CEO that really needed to be there for the sake of everybody since 2006.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

Nvidia would love to get NVLink support into some commodity x86 CPUs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Lisa just can't satisfy Raja with a tiny Asian budget like that, he needs a burly American cash reserve for his designs to reach their climax

I want to experience raja climaxing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I ship it just so I can get some goddamn Adaptive Sync for any monitor.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't think I can sufficiently emphasize how much of a license to print money that being attached to AMD would be.

Not just because of the x86 license, but because of how much R&D AMD have already committed to developing x86 in the first place.

There are *insane* costs associated with x86 R&D, on top of fabrication techniques. It might as well be impossible for any new company out there to obtain an x86 license, even if their designs are completely groundbreaking. Even when Transmeta and RISE were making x86 chips, it was actually IBM (when they still had their own foundries) who was making them, thus shielding Transmeta and RISE from patent infringement lawsuits, while IBM was free to charge Transmeta and RISE as much as they wanted for the right to make x86 chips.

(Which was a shame, because the Transmeta Crusoe looked like it could have genuinely been a great chip.... but it was really hacky, and that's a story for another time.)

The reason why there are only four, but functionally two companies making x86 processors is because in the end, only AMD was capable of keeping up with Intel in terms of R&D. Everyone else just fell off. VIA (who inherited Cyrix's license) and IBM don't do much of anything in terms of x86 anymore.

The only reason why AMD isn't bigger is because of interference by Intel and AMD's own mistakes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 9, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What the everloving gently caress is this timeline.

what is going on

Well I'm excited for my Intel CPU with AMD graphics before I upgrade to the new Intel GPU by Raja Koduri.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

how do we know AMD isn't thrilled to be rid of him?

If a whole bunch of engineers follow him, that's when we'll know.

This is why companies usually pay high ranking executives to sit at home for 6-18 months. Because AMD is hyperfucked if other people at RTG liked Raja and want a change of environment.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 9, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

confirmed: Raja has transcended and now sustains himself solely on the tears of internet commentators.

Prepare for transformation, pitiful mortals.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

If a whole bunch of engineers follow him, that's when we'll know.

This is why companies usually pay high ranking executives to sit at home for 6-18 months. Because AMD is hyperfucked if other people at RTG liked Raja and want a change of environment.

this season on Halt & Catch Fire... after an intense 18 months spent filming a 3D movie in his spare time, a visionary developer walks away with his team and joins a rival company.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

FaustianQ posted:

I want this to happen just so I can watch the Nvidia and AMD fanboys lose their minds.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spasticColon posted:

I want this to happen just so I can watch the Nvidia and AMD fanboys lose their minds.

i think a lot of the nvidia fanboys would swap over to amd if it was better, they just want the best. Whereas they dont come close to the persecution complex the vocal minority of AMD fanboys have.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

i think a lot of the nvidia fanboys would swap over to amd if it was better, they just want the best. Whereas they dont come close to the persecution complex the vocal minority of AMD fanboys have.

if AMD hardware had NVIDIA devs doing drivers for them, and supported GSync, I would literally list my 1080 right this second, and prepare for Vega to double its performance. And NVIDIA with FreeSync, and semi-custom sales... :circlefap:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
nVidia is selling a red card and a green card as a matched pair as their new flagship product right now...:thunk:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm excited but not that excited. Intel has just been utter trash at GPUs forever. Hell they can't even make decent drivers for a lot of their new chipsets. Heres to hoping though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arivia posted:

nVidia is selling a red card and a green card as a matched pair as their new flagship product right now...:thunk:

Jen-hsun sighed as he drew his lightsaber

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like the C605 whatever chipsets? I've never had a single issue with Intel consumer chipset drivers in maybe 2 decades now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

intel is already the largest GPU manufacturer for x86. :haw: With Nvidia posting $500m in profit on $2.2B of revenue, most of that being the dGPU slice, it makes sense that they want a piece. They've tried multiple times before, after all. Intel also needs help on the IoT side with more devices leaning towards deep learning, and the self driving car market is enticing too. They've got Atom derivatives for here, but they really need a more focused, powerful GPU design.

In servers, they've got Knights Mill and Nervana coming for the super computer space, but they could also use an upper mid-tier learning card. I'm sure they've seen the people spinning up boxes with sub-$1000 CPUs and 10 times that in GPUs.

In the end, Intel was a "process" company for a long time, and now it looks like we're hitting the end of that road. The technology is mature, and each step is now going to be just unbelievably costly. With that in mind, I guess it makes sense for them to branch out into every complementary market they can to keep growth for investors.

RISC has eaten the profitless bottom of the CPU market (Qualcomm had $200m in profit on $5.5b earnings), and Apple takes basically all of the worlds RISC profits and makes their own devices. So with that part gone, and solid dominion over the laptop, consumer, small server, and big server CPU markets, having already killed everyone in the chipset market and entered the SSD market, whats left with profit margins? GPUs I guess!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

AMD fanboys would buy elsewhere for price:perf. Most of the guys defending Vega don't actually own one. They will support whatever the underdog in the industry is because the underdog hits price targets only achievable through small margins, or otherwise is heading towards failure (and the lever has been flung back and forth between those two modes lately.)

I've seen them wonder why this company isn't making as much money when Ryzen is so popular and everybody knows they're giving customers a good deal, and I've had to point out that customers getting a good deal is exactly why they're not rolling in cash. The day AMD thinks about building a huge cash reserve is the day a lot of the fanboys leave, because they're mistaking brand loyalty with their desire to keep downward pricing pressure in a capitalist duopoly.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 9, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Intel will release the best GPU ever and make it enterprise/pro only.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Intel will release the best GPU ever and make it enterprise/pro only.

It would only work with a Xeon(tm) Processor and Optane(tm) brand SSDs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

I've seen them wonder why this company isn't making as much money when Ryzen is so popular and everybody knows they're giving customers a good deal, and I've had to point out that customers getting a good deal is exactly why they're not rolling in cash. The day AMD thinks about building a huge cash reserve is the day a lot of the fanboys leave, because they're mistaking brand loyalty with their desire to keep downward pricing pressure in a capitalist duopoly.

There are big "economies of scale" involved here, which are the drivers in the GPU. You can't do them as cheaply and expect to get good results given the conventional "push whatever bullshit" DX11 programming model. This is a large, indirect subsidy to a lot of lovely publishers/studios on NVIDIA's side. Of course Pascal isn't half-bad at DX12/Vulkan and I'm sure Volta will be even faster.

But yeah AMD was happy to launch its last flagship at $650. The 290X wasn't cheap either, nor the 295x2. AMD likes money too. If Vega had 1080 Ti performance out of the gate it would have been launched $300 higher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah AdoredTV was going on about how the AMD iGPU deal was going to kill nVidia, which is just like what the gently caress.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arivia posted:

Yeah AdoredTV was going on about how the AMD iGPU deal was going to kill nVidia, which is just like what the gently caress.

He's the tech version of Alex Jones. NVIDIA YOU DEVIL!

Charlie Demerijan too. Like he's an actual crazy person who will detail all the myriad ways he hates NVIDIA and/or Intel in every article.

It's gonna be super interesting to see who in the fandom goes which way... Lisa vs Raja cagematch go.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are big "economies of scale" involved here, which are the drivers in the GPU. You can't do them as cheaply and expect to get good results given the conventional "push whatever bullshit" DX11 programming model. This is a large, indirect subsidy to a lot of lovely publishers/studios on NVIDIA's side. Of course Pascal isn't half-bad at DX12/Vulkan and I'm sure Volta will be even faster.

But yeah AMD was happy to launch its last flagship at $650. The 290X wasn't cheap either, nor the 295x2. AMD likes money too. If Vega had 1080 Ti performance out of the gate it would have been launched $300 higher.

I'm talking about the corporation, not just the GPUs. (Yes, this is the GPU thread, but all this news is breaking across this thread and the Intel platform thread and the AMD platform thread.) Graphics didn't sink AMD's financials too much because mining saved their rear end. But AMD is never going to have the Intel/Nvidia like untold billions in profits because to do that they would have to sell their products at the same price at which point even the fanboys would choose the product that does what they want the best instead of the one that's the cheapest and accept compromises.

My point is many of these AMD loyalists aren't blind. They're waiting for waiting for Vega 20 at least. And if Ryzen and Coffee Lake cost the same thing they'd buy the better product. To use a personal anecdote, I used to use $350 Nexus phones and argue with iPhone-using friends who talked about how they don't mind spending twice as much to have the cushy, premium, industry-best smartphone experience. And as soon as $350 Nexus became $700 Pixel and flagship Android phones cost as much as iPhones do, here I am with an iPhone. I was accepting crashes, random reboots, etc in order to have a phone half the price and felt it was an acceptable compromise. At the same price, forget it.

AMD is that $500 phone that's finicky and randomly reboots during a YouTube video, but still costs $200 less than the competitor.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 9, 2017