Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

200 f2.8 going to exist for m43 <3

whoa whoa whoa what's this now? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

whoa whoa whoa what's this now? :stare:
http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/11/lumix-g9.html I imagine officially announced whenever the g9 is as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Ok, you’ve got my attention. This camera seems to hit the right notes — a good balance between video and stills capabilities, judging by some Amazon reviews. Plus, I’ll have enough cash left over for a secondary lens to play with.

From what I’m gathering, here’s the breakdown:

code:
Camera body (sell kit)
Lens options:
- 20mm F1.7 pancake
- And one of these
     - Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 (especially useful for video)
     - Olympus 12-40 f2.8
- Or pancake plus these two primes
     - Olympus M zuiko 17mm
     - 25mm F1.8 (also Olympus?)
- Or pancake plus
     - Leica summilux prime 15mm or 25mm
poo poo, that’s a tough choice. But I think I like the idea of one prime and one zoom, for now. So that’d be the pancake plus the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 or the Olympus 12-40 f2.8, no? Unless you recommend otherwise. Really, I'm quite lost regarding this stuff. The 5-axis stabilization sounds amazing, though.

For audio, I think my iPhone + a nifty little mic would suffice until I decide to get real serious with video, if that ever happens. Hell, I might end up preferring stills over video while I’m learning, so spending too much on the video aspect might not be wise.

Maybe post your 2 latest favorite shots? Do you have any big gripes about the GX85 that you think would turn off a novice like me? I read the EVF was pretty disappointing?

I actually don't have many night shots with my current setup (GX85 + 15mm, I had a GX7 and 20mm previously), and probably my two favourite night shots with it are just some snaps I took when I first got it just to try it out.
These are hand held, metadata is in the link.
trash tableau by King Dugga, on Flickr
P1020363-2.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr
(edit-changed one out)

I'm just a filthy casual, a lot of the folk in this thread shoot professionally and will have some much more expert advice. Personally, I'd rate the GX85 EVF as better than the Fuji XT-20, but not as good as the Olympus EM-1. That's probably a pretty large spread, the EM-1 EVF is pretty amazing.
My only gripes are relating to the changes from the GX7, namely the lack of articulating viewfinder and dedicated AF/MF button. The lack of mic jack is a little annoying, but only if you want high quality audio of what you are shooting. The USB charging more than makes up for it, and I'd rather have that than a mic jack in the side panel.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 8, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/11/lumix-g9.html I imagine officially announced whenever the g9 is as well.

yooooooooooooooooo that is neat as hell

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Kenny Logins posted:

Huh, I actually never knew that the x100 series had conversion lenses. That's so neat, although I can't say it would materially change my recommendation for people looking for a good fixed-lens, as it's already the x100 series.

Yeah, and they are really really good.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hello thread, just wanted to say thanks for the input from a few pages ago. I ended up with a used EM5 mk2 for $600 and a used Olympus 7-14 pro lens for $850. Now I just have to get outside and start taking more pictures.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does any X-T2 haver know how I can use split screen focus? I have always used the one where you have the frame and then a small rectangle showing a zoomed in view of your focus point and it works well but I was just digging through the settings and saw that split screen focus is greyed out. I would like to try it but can’t figure out how to enable it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Panasonic officially announced the G9 and 200mm f/2.8 lens, $1700 for the G9 and $3000 for the 200mm

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

$3000 for the 200mm

:stare:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I guess Pana saw Sony getting away with their lens prices and thought "me too!"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like the new panasonic prism, looks like an Acura grill now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THis explains at least a bit of the cost:

DPReview posted:

Panasonic includes the new DMW-TC14 1.4x teleconverter in the box with the lens, bringing the focal length up to 280mm (560mm equiv.).

E: I'm trying like hell to figure out what I'd use that Focus Memory feature for :confused:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 8, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rio posted:

Does any X-T2 haver know how I can use split screen focus? I have always used the one where you have the frame and then a small rectangle showing a zoomed in view of your focus point and it works well but I was just digging through the settings and saw that split screen focus is greyed out. I would like to try it but can’t figure out how to enable it.

Mine is not greyed out so I spent a while trying to figure out what could disable it. First of all you need to be on MF mode. Second you need to disable AF+MF mode. I found that it is not greyed out regardless of AF+MF setting as long as you are in MF mode.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

polyester concept posted:

Mine is not greyed out so I spent a while trying to figure out what could disable it. First of all you need to be on MF mode. Second you need to disable AF+MF mode. I found that it is not greyed out regardless of AF+MF setting as long as you are in MF mode.

I think you also have to push the rear thumbwheel to toggle the digital split prism thing.

E: nvm, it just zooms into the focus area.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 8, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

THis explains at least a bit of the cost:

E: I'm trying like hell to figure out what I'd use that Focus Memory feature for :confused:

For video. If you're shooting a scene where the focus changes during the shot you can pre-focus on both points and use that button to move between them.

e: same for the focus limit, so you can focus smoothly and not jerk the focus accidentally.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Focus limit is also useful for faster AF target acquisition. If what you're shooting is greater than 3m away, use that so it doesn't have to rack the entire focus range to nail a target. Good for birds. Although 3m seems pretty close up anyway, makes me wonder what the minimum focal distance is. The canon 400mm f5.6 has an 8m limit switch.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fuji has a 200mm f/2 coming soon, and I'm expecting similar sticker shock.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Focus limit is also useful for faster AF target acquisition. If what you're shooting is greater than 3m away, use that so it doesn't have to rack the entire focus range to nail a target. Good for birds. Although 3m seems pretty close up anyway, makes me wonder what the minimum focal distance is. The canon 400mm f5.6 has an 8m limit switch.

My bad I thought it was a focus speed limit.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

polyester concept posted:

Oh ok. That was it, thanks! It’s be nice if they let you adjust settings universally instead of having to be in a camera mode to access certain settings.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

For video. If you're shooting a scene where the focus changes during the shot you can pre-focus on both points and use that button to move between them.

e: same for the focus limit, so you can focus smoothly and not jerk the focus accidentally.

Oh neat, I didn't think of that

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfzfe8f9NI

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

bobfather posted:

I guess Pana saw Sony getting away with their lens prices and thought "me too!"
Sony: "Hold my beer."

*sticks a blue Zeiss sticker on it*

$4000.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

rio posted:

Oh ok. That was it, thanks! It’s be nice if they let you adjust settings universally instead of having to be in a camera mode to access certain settings.

I wish you could click on greyed out things and it would tell you what conflicting setting needs to be changed in order to access the greyed out one. I hate the guessing game.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

melon cat posted:

Sony: "Hold my beer."

*sticks a blue Zeiss sticker on it*

$4000.

If your lens is 3x more expensive than Canon L glass it better come with complimentary blowjobs and/or "cine" in the name.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

blowfish posted:

If your lens is 3x more expensive than Canon L glass it better come with complimentary blowjobs and/or "cine" in the name.

Depending on how you want to play the "equivalency" game, it's actually 3x cheaper than a white canon 400mm f2.8.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Finger Prince posted:

Depending on how you want to play the "equivalency" game, it's actually 3x cheaper than a white canon 400mm f2.8.

Actually if you're playing the equivalency game you'd be looking at the Canon 400 f/5.6 L which is $1150.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my god we're going to turn this into the worst thread

actually the 400 f/5.6 on a a7r3 after accounting for the 43 crop would only give you a 10 mp image and you'd have to crank iso to get the same ss
:goonsay:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bobfather posted:

Actually if you're playing the equivalency game you'd be looking at the Canon 400 f/5.6 L which is $1300.

Not really equivalent because that lens doesn't have IS. It's more like a nikkor VR 300mm f4 with 1.4x teleconverter, which will run you $2500. Much closer in price, much bulkier and less features. Point is that it's not completey out of order to charge that much for a lens of that spec.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my god we're going to turn this into the worst thread

actually the 400 f/5.6 on a a7r3 after accounting for the 43 crop would only give you a 10 mp image and you'd have to crank iso to get the same ss
:goonsay:

He started it mom!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Tha G9 looks nice, but I'll probably never own one.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is this the first Pana body with ibis?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gx7, gx8 3 axis
gx85 g85, gh5, g9 5 axis iirc
5.5 stops starting at gh5

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hmm thanks. Why do I remember reading, maybe in this thread, that putting an Oly lens on a Panasonic body would mean you lose image stabilization?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does any of these IBIS tech work on video?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Does any of these IBIS tech work on video?

gx8 was the first with duel IS and is how you get 5 axis with pana lenses, mostly with the mk2 of their lens stabalization (applicable to their older ones)

Syrinxx posted:

Hmm thanks. Why do I remember reading, maybe in this thread, that putting an Oly lens on a Panasonic body would mean you lose image stabilization?

they don't do the synch IS across manufactures for that sweet sweet 6.5 stops with the newest stuff.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gx8 was the first with duel IS and is how you get 5 axis with pana lenses, mostly with the mk2 of their lens stabalization (applicable to their older ones)

So does video IS work? Is it better or worse than Canon in lens IS for video? I don't understand your marketing speak.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

whatever7 posted:

So does video IS work? Is it better or worse than Canon in lens IS for video? I don't understand your marketing speak.

it does. I don't do video so I don't know if it's better.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

GEMorris posted:

Tha G9 looks nice, but I'll probably never own one.
I'm still not sure what the G9 offers above the GH5, though. The articles I've been seeing about it online seem to emphasize the fact that's it's $300 cheaper than the GH5, but that's about it. What can the G9 do that the GH5 can't? Because specs-wise, it doesn't sound seem like it's a "photo stills-focused" camera once you hack through their marketing speak.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 9, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ the olympus-like picture stitching feature, really.

whatever7 posted:

It does, fairly well, but obvi the shorter your focal length the better

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
M4/3 lens prices are kind of weird. A lot of lenses are seemingly overpriced vs. a comparable DSLR lens (i.e. $400 for the Olympus 25/1.8 vs $125 for the Canon nifty fifty), especially given that they contain less glass to cover a smaller sensor. On the other hand, a lot of these lenses are very sharp without having to stop down, and the build quality is very solid.