Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The Locator posted:

I am more than a little bit surprised that nobody else has posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4gar5dKAU

So happy they made the official record. Koenigsegg is such a quirky little company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
That is cool but I really need to see an acceleration graph comparing the Agera, the Veyron, the McLaren F1, some wacky outsider like that Nissan Juke with a GTR drivetrain stapled underneath it, and a Honda Odyssey to adequately appreciate this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My favorite bit is how they don't even go WOT until 180mph.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

At which point it loving GOES. .4G acceleration at 200mph is loving crazy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBrb7IWapc

How about jessi combs talking about doing 477mph and losing control of the car?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mine's that they don't even shift into the final gear til loving 215mph :stare:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Spectator Drags crash compilation. 10 minutes of people racing cars poorly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbezoy1aCxU

i was there for the crash starting at 4:57

welp that's my story, seeya later

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I noticed that when I heard the turbo spool, looked at how fast they were going, and lightly poo'd myself when I realized they were doing one hundred and loving eighty:stonklol:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Yeah, I noticed that when I heard the turbo spool, looked at how fast they were going, and lightly poo'd myself when I realized they were doing one hundred and loving eighty:stonklol:

And they went from 0.2G acceleration to 0.4G at that point. 0.4G acceleration at near (and over) 200 MPH. That's loving absurd.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlkcnIeX3Y

A highly impressive takedown of manufacturer bullshit about cheaper non genuine parts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Yeah, I noticed that when I heard the turbo spool

That.. that turbo sounds more like an airliner getting ready to taxi down the runway. I wonder how many birds per minute that thing sucks down?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlkcnIeX3Y

A highly impressive takedown of manufacturer bullshit about cheaper non genuine parts.

Jesus.. that's incredibly dumb of Nissan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know Australia tends to be pretty heavy handed with car laws, but... yeah, that poo poo (probably) wouldn't fly in the US, would it? Especially when it comes to wiper blades and brake pads. I know there's a significant difference between different brands of brake pads, but even parts store brands can be pretty decent if you go for their higher tier stuff.

I'm sure as hell not dropping $100+ on brake pads. It stings bad enough dropping $30ish (after coupons) on Carquest/Advance Auto ceramics.

I'm all for OEM parts, until it comes to consumables (wiper blades, oil filters, brake pads... stuff all addressed in that). And at least in my case, a shitload of OEM parts are available on Amazon for dirt cheap (one of the massive upsides to GM's parts binning). OEM MAF for my car is all of $30-something (if not less), while an OEM MAF for my Nissan was >$500 (e: just double checked, it's around $475 now, when you can find a new old stock one.. it's no longer stocked by Courtesy Parts). It's cheaper to buy a brand new OEM GM MAF online than it is to go to Pick n Pull to get a used one!

That said, I won't touch parts store electrical stuff (except for Napa... I'll buy starters and alternators from them if I don't feel like getting a used OEM part).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 9, 2017

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I know Australia tends to be pretty heavy handed with car laws, but... yeah, that poo poo (probably) wouldn't fly in the US, would it? Especially when it comes to wiper blades and brake pads. I know there's a significant difference between different brands of brake pads, but even parts store brands can be pretty decent if you go for their higher tier stuff.

I'm sure as hell not dropping $100+ on brake pads. It stings bad enough dropping $30ish (after coupons) on Carquest/Advance Auto ceramics.

I'm all for OEM parts, until it comes to consumables (wiper blades, oil filters, brake pads... stuff all addressed in that). And at least in my case, a shitload of OEM parts are available on Amazon for dirt cheap (one of the massive upsides to GM's parts binning). OEM MAF for my car is all of $30-something (if not less), while an OEM MAF for my Nissan was >$500 (e: just double checked, it's around $475 now, when you can find a new old stock one.. it's no longer stocked by Courtesy Parts). It's cheaper to buy a brand new OEM GM MAF online than it is to go to Pick n Pull to get a used one!

That said, I won't touch parts store electrical stuff (except for Napa... I'll buy starters and alternators from them if I don't feel like getting a used OEM part).

yeah every time my girlfriend takes her Prius in for an oil change the dealership tries to sell her a $400 front brake job lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm all for OEM parts, until it comes to consumables (wiper blades, oil filters, brake pads... stuff all addressed in that). And at least in my case, a shitload of OEM parts are available on Amazon for dirt cheap (one of the massive upsides to GM's parts binning).

I looked online and found that VW uses Mann for their filters, so I order the cheaper Mann versions. They even come stamped with VW and Audi logos!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sandoz posted:

yeah every time my girlfriend takes her Prius in for an oil change the dealership tries to sell her a $400 front brake job lol

Best part is a Prius should be able to go 100k+ EASILY on the original brakes. I think a friend was on his 2nd set of brakes when he sold his with 300k on it, and he used it for delivery/uber/etc the entire time he owned it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Best part is a Prius should be able to go 100k+ EASILY on the original brakes. I think a friend was on his 2nd set of brakes when he sold his with 300k on it, and he used it for delivery/uber/etc the entire time he owned it.

The downside is he'll likely need a regenerative brake booster somewhere between 100k and 150k, and boy howdy are they expensive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think the actual name for it is the brake accumulator. It's not directly involved in regeneration, but when it fails, you lose regeneration capability. Along with ABS and traction control.

2 people I know have been bit by the $2500 master cylinder brake accumulator. :smith: One of them didn't have it fail completely, but the accumulator motor was running almost nonstop on his. The other got the triangle/brake/abs/traction control off/check engine lights out of nowhere and saw his MPG plummet. Supposedly it has to be paired to the car too, so a used part may not be an option unless someone has access to whatever tools Toyota uses for that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 10, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Cant tell you how many times ive been burned by napa sensors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hence why I qualified that with starters and alternators. ;) For sensors, solenoids, etc, I go OEM, or at least a well respected brand (Denso, NTK, etc).

GM loves parts binning, makes a lot of stuff dirt cheap. The OEM evap purge solenoid, for example, was $26, and a new MAF is going to be about the same (I'm getting a code about once a month for the MAF). I have an OEM radiator cap surge tank cap on the way for $10 from Amazon (supposed to be here today).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

gently caress i wish i could get $30 brake pads... cheapest ones (that actually work) for my cruiser run at $90 a set...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

no, the best part is that over three consecutive oil changes the pads went from 5mm to 2mm to 5mm

regenerative braking indeed

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
mark higgens isle of man in a prodrive subaru flat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 10, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cage posted:

First car is Slow is Fasts dad, isn't it?

I never forget a mustang. :911:

Are later mustangs really that hard to drive? I've only driven my friends foxbody and sliding it was a breeze...foot down, point front, continue with foot down until straight again.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

continue with foot down until straight again.

That's the hard part. Everyone lifts.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

The Locator posted:

I am more than a little bit surprised that nobody else has posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4gar5dKAU
What I love about this is how sedately he makes it to 200, and then suddenly he starts accelerating more from that point onwards.

Something tells me that they're eyeing up a speed that starts with "3" and ends with "mph" (and is three digits :v: )

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I think the actual name for it is the brake accumulator. It's not directly involved in regeneration, but when it fails, you lose regeneration capability. Along with ABS and traction control.

2 people I know have been bit by the $2500 master cylinder brake accumulator. :smith: One of them didn't have it fail completely, but the accumulator motor was running almost nonstop on his. The other got the triangle/brake/abs/traction control off/check engine lights out of nowhere and saw his MPG plummet. Supposedly it has to be paired to the car too, so a used part may not be an option unless someone has access to whatever tools Toyota uses for that.

are these people that are heavy late brakers?

there is like a little braking charge meter when active but it rarely maxes out unless you're quickly stopping from a decent speed

also lol i wonder if its even noticeable to lose traction control in a car like that

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CarForumPoster posted:

Are later mustangs really that hard to drive? I've only driven my friends foxbody and sliding it was a breeze...foot down, point front, continue with foot down until straight again.
I've never had a scary experience that wasn't in the rain, but you've seen the videos...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbpGx8Fqsho

I loving love the crowds reaction here to dropping a goddamn flag. You would have thought someone died.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thief posted:

are these people that are heavy late brakers?

there is like a little braking charge meter when active but it rarely maxes out unless you're quickly stopping from a decent speed

also lol i wonder if its even noticeable to lose traction control in a car like that

No, but both of them use their cars for courier/delivery/uber/etc. So they see a ton of city miles.

And yeah it is.. the traction control is super overbearing, it hits the brakes if one tire even begins to slip. You'll notice being able to actually take a turn while on the throttle without the car losing its poo poo. :v: There's a konami style code to disable traction control on older (<2010) models, but supposedly the FSM warns this will gently caress the transaxle up in a hurry.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

edit: wrong thread...

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 14, 2017

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Cool little diesel engine.

https://youtu.be/zXCGyItsgQs

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Nascar debut in Australia (1988):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNuiGBOZagw

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Awesome. I'm crossposting in the F1 thread because are dan recently did a nascar visit and uploaded some video (as well as photos over earlier weeks)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Neat stop-motion of an R/C rotary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1noNUBHaok4

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I'd never heard Michael Waltrip talk before now.

...and he has been married...

..to a...woman?????

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I hope they do the followup to this Porsche teardown one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNhjBNTA-I

Can't be that hard to stop motion a wallet opening.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd never heard Michael Waltrip talk before now.

...and he has been married...

..to a...woman?????

Sassiest dude in racing. You really see it hilariously in his later stuff where he's the interviewer "HI DANICA BYE DANICA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
I have never seen these before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZcXJvp-_D4

AND I CAN'T STOP WATCHING