Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

For those readers who are fortunate enough not to be trapped in the endless nightmare that is the current American political climate, the whole page was a Trump joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno if it's specifically a Trump joke as much an American Politics In General joke.

For one, Charlie is much more competent and generally insidious.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah it didn't read trump joke at all, it just read "Politics joke"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It seemed to make several references to Trumpisms. "That makes me smart" is how Trump justified cheating on his taxes. I don't feel like trawling through thousands of Trump speeches but "I <did more> than any five <guys>", "you know it, I know it, <other people> know it" really sound like the kind of things he'd say.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And all those predate Trump and have been used more skillfully by people before Trump.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Welp, I guess it IS November already. One down, one to go.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You'd think he'd double up on textdump pages to give the art crew less work if things are so busy he needs to skip regular updates.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I feel like you guys need to stop checking in so obsessively. Use an RSS feed or something, so the comics come to you instead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Kyte posted:

I feel like you guys need to stop checking in so obsessively. Use an RSS feed or something, so the comics come to you instead.

It's not "obsessive" to check a webcomic on the days they advertise as having new comics posted.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I guess.
Still, how do you keep track of all the dates? Or do you only read a couple webcomics?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Phenotype posted:

It's not "obsessive" to check a webcomic on the days they advertise as having new comics posted.

Phenotype more like PhenOCDtype

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Phenotype posted:

If he had a regular upload time maybe, but he's got the policy of 'anytime before midnight is on time'. I finally got a new RSS extension up replace my broke one so I'm just using that instead (though I wish I could filter out the fan stuff).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Kyte posted:

I guess.
Still, how do you keep track of all the dates? Or do you only read a couple webcomics?

I check Erfworld on Tuesday and Friday nights, and I read Order of the Stick whenever I see a new update in the thread here. Those are the only two I ever pay any attention to. :shrug:

I'm actually kinda shocked there's so much more grumbling about late updates here than in the OOTS thread -- Erfworld pumps out at least one comic every week, even if they fall short of two occasionally. I feel like we're lucky to get two OOTS in a month.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 8, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Past behavior sets future expectations. Rich has been irregular in his schedule for long enough that acceptance is the default.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think it's funny that the great minds are all about not cheating and banning OP magic when their ability to link with other casters is probably the biggest, most overpowered cheat in the game.

His worldbuilding on the magic system is really half-baked. Of the types of magic we've seen, a lot of powerful ones are looked down upon and a lot of potentially harmful ones are respected. Why are dirtamancers treated like lower class casters when they can massively improve a side's infrastructure? Why would any side ever trust a turnamancer they didn't pop? Why aren't dateamancers in demand with rulers who frequently engage in diplomacy? Why aren't predictamancers disbanded the moment they spawn since they often predict their own side's doom and seem to be more loyal to their predictions than their sides?

isndl
May 2, 2012
As readers we get a lot more of the picture than in-world characters. Casters maintain secrecy over their full abilities for political reasons, the Magic Kingdom plays by different rules than the overworld, a typical side is effectively living paycheck to paycheck and the value of a caster is gauged by how it can help you cash in your neighbor's city for schmuckers, etc.

There's also the paradox where casters are acknowledged to be extremely valuable, which in turn means nobody wants to risk them in the field, so they're never used to their full potential in combat stacks. We saw how powerful a Predictamancer can be in a city assault, but take away the guns and it goes from zero risk wipe the garrison to losing via attrition. A side only puts casters in the field when they're on the ropes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The first book definitely implied that a unit was popped with the knowledge of everything they needed to do their job so you'd think more people would know about how casters work. At minimum popped heirs.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They don't learn everything, they just come with the knowledge that's appropriate to their station. Caesar for example had to take etiquette lessons from Benjamin since he was too lowborn to pop with that knowledge.
Nobles are not casters, they don't need to know what casters can do, although they probably do pop with a basic idea of what a given caster can do, but it's still up to them to realize the implications.
Not even casters know the full extent of their own disciplines (otherwise there'd be no Novice/Adept/Master class distinction)

Also most of the biggest improvements casters such as dirtamancers have made have come from leaders of vision executing Big Ideas using casters of significant ability, often using a link-up, and not all leaders are open-minded or creative. Also it's expensive.

Most sides' priorities lie in securing their own immediate future by doing offensive pushes against some other side, and most of the fancy jobs we've seen don't actually directly contribute to such things.

(And I'm fairly sure most sides wouldn't actually trust turnamancers if it weren't the fact their specialty is to get people to trust them. Also it's easy to blame the caster when their spell, acted on ill-conceived orders, fails to achieve a probably impossible objective. That last one's just human nature.)

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Phenotype posted:

I check Erfworld on Tuesday and Friday nights, and I read Order of the Stick whenever I see a new update in the thread here. Those are the only two I ever pay any attention to. :shrug:

I'm actually kinda shocked there's so much more grumbling about late updates here than in the OOTS thread -- Erfworld pumps out at least one comic every week, even if they fall short of two occasionally. I feel like we're lucky to get two OOTS in a month.

I think the part that "bothers" me most is that Erfworld has a team working on it. A team they specifically asked for more money to put together so they could guarantee a schedule. Rich is just one guy with health problems and a wildly over successful kickstarter that hosed him over.

I mostly just check both comics when I notice new posts in either thread.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the takeaway of the last chapter is... Roger cast Foolamancy to make the Bracer display a high chance of working with Vanna to succeed. But also couldn't see what the Bracer was TRYING to show.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Aaand, there's the second.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
At this point I hope Roger's gambit works and Parson gets sent back, because his job is pretty much done and the story is not about him anymore.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cat Mattress posted:

At this point I hope Roger's gambit works and Parson gets sent back, because his job is pretty much done and the story is not about him anymore.

Man, this is a terrible take

isndl
May 2, 2012
Comedy option, they gently caress up the weirdomancy and pull in the rest of his gaming group who are currently raiding his condemned hobbit hole for his dice.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
My guess is that we get a Thomas Covenant situation where Parson is sent back to real life, where he tries to find a method to return to Erfworld. He will most likely do this by seeking out Judy Gale and using the Arkenshoes to go back.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

isndl posted:

Comedy option, they gently caress up the weirdomancy and pull in the rest of his gaming group who are currently raiding his condemned hobbit hole for his dice.

This is probably what will happen. After all what this story needs is more point of view characters.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Jesus balder just go to once a week

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I recommend inoreader as a good practical RSS reader.

Since I started using RSS, I'm no longer cycling through websites constantly just in case one of them updated. I'm not wasting my time loading stale pages repeatedly, or memorizing schedules then getting frustrated when they're broken. I can just leave a tab open and wait for something to appear. Things that update daily, monthly, once in a blue moon, doesn't matter, I just see when they pop into the list. If someone doesn't manage to create things very fast, I can just forget about them until they do.

RSS is the wave of the future, I tell you.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 16, 2017

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

I recommend inoreader as a good practical RSS reader.

Since I started using RSS, I'm no longer cycling through websites constantly just in case one of them updated. I'm not wasting my time loading stale pages repeatedly, or memorizing schedules then getting frustrated when they're broken. I can just leave a tab open and wait for something to appear. Things that update daily, monthly, once in a blue moon, doesn't matter, I just see when they pop into the list. If someone doesn't manage to create things very fast, I can just forget about them until they do.

RSS is the wave of the future, I tell you.

Aight you convinced me. Set it up just now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I started using Feedbro as a Firefox extension to handle RSS feeds since all my old ones were busted and it handles my usage patterns acceptably, only problem was migrating feeds to it since my old one(s) just pulled from Live Bookmarks. inoreader looks nice for cross-platform if you want to check your feeds on your phone though.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Aaand,that's the third Tuesday skipped this month, out of three, as well as the third unanounced skip, out of... two they've alloted themselves. Now I'm getting annoyed. And answering a question a bit earlier in the thread - people don't get as annoyed by OotS because Rich doesn't pretend to have a schedue.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Aumanor posted:

Aaand,that's the third Tuesday skipped this month, out of three, as well as the third unanounced skip, out of... two they've alloted themselves. Now I'm getting annoyed. And answering a question a bit earlier in the thread - people don't get as annoyed by OotS because Rich doesn't pretend to have a schedue.

I wonder, when he does an unannounced extra skip, does the next update count as "on time?" If so it makes more sense for him to skip every time instead of posting late.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

just loving go to once a week balder
Christ
it’s clearly the upper limit of what you’re capable of

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

bigpolar posted:

I wonder, when he does an unannounced extra skip, does the next update count as "on time?" If so it makes more sense for him to skip every time instead of posting late.

All skips are unannounced, no? And yeah, I'm pretty sure the next one does count as on time. I think they claim to have a buffer these days though so that shouldn't matter, but I'm honestly not sure I believe them...

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Well he announced a new policy of 2 skips a month...then had a 3rd skip in 3 weeks. I figured the first 2 count as announced, the third not so much.

This is just idle speculation on my part, since I'm obviously not motivated enought to pay to support him. See: "He is not your bitch!" and all that drama. I've got no skin in the game so I'm not really offended or complaining that he isn't delivering on his made up schedule. Just wondering how or if he excuses not meeting his self imposed schedule to himself, or his backers.

I wouldn't spend a second thinking about it this thread weren't here. And i don't care enough to delve into the on site forums to find out, but speculating here is something to do to kill time.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I don't care if he updates once a month. I'll enjoy whatever comes out, whenever comes out. And I'm not paying him a cent, either.

But there are apparently plenty of people who do give him several cents, and who do care about reading new updates as soon as possible. The idea that he can't take four seconds to tweet "No update today" at them is preposterous, lackadaisical, discourteous, and several other multisyllabic words.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sometimes I think I should support a webcomic on Patreon but then I am a frugal individual and I always wind up like 'wait but $4 a month is the going price for an entire digital comic book that is always released on schedule by people who treat their jobs as jobs'

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Isaac is gonna get Decrypted...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm still betting on the end of the chapter being Parson in command of way, way more spellcasting cats than he could ever hope to herd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Zoe posted:

Sometimes I think I should support a webcomic on Patreon but then I am a frugal individual and I always wind up like 'wait but $4 a month is the going price for an entire digital comic book that is always released on schedule by people who treat their jobs as jobs'

It is pretty funny isn't it?