Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

How often do ghosts tend to get made anyway? I know there's no canon answer, but if there's some kind of an 'in general' thing for what makes them.

I'm just kind of imagining a Sin-Eater or Moros-mage or similar who's used to a nice neighbourhood where there was like, one ghost of the guy who accidentally electrocuted himself the day he won the lottery or something, and then going into less-nice surroundings (from the bad side of a US city to a third world country) and going "what the gently caress".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So pluses for the VtM 1e core intro:

Sets the tone incredibly well as one of hella melodrama and SO DARK THE NIGHT SO DARK MY SOUL

Minuses:
Everything else but especially using special terms without defining them and the narrator switching to other languages randomly and not translating them

Also Minuses:
Fans of it won't shut the gently caress up about how it was better than revised.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

bewilderment posted:

How often do ghosts tend to get made anyway? I know there's no canon answer, but if there's some kind of an 'in general' thing for what makes them.

How often do things die with things unfinished? It seems like a lot, the book says they're the most numerous, 'More ghost exist than any other supernatural creature,' but that seems like an exaggeration, or not counting ephemerals It isn't quite clear what causes ghosts. Chronicles just says 'sometimes' and more often when a death is under traumatic or sudden fashion. From there, how many manage to hold onto their anchors? More likely sink into the Underworld. I imagine Geist second edition will get into this more.

quote:

I'm just kind of imagining a Sin-Eater or Moros-mage or similar who's used to a nice neighbourhood where there was like, one ghost of the guy who accidentally electrocuted himself the day he won the lottery or something, and then going into less-nice surroundings (from the bad side of a US city to a third world country) and going "what the gently caress".

I suppose longevity might help. If your surroundings have only been inhabited for a hundred years or so, you'll probably have less ghosts than a place that's been populous and lived in like Constantinople. You have exceptions in tremendously populous 'newish' areas. Alternatively you might have more inhuman ghosts, like a ghost forest maybe?

But even then numbers can be lowered by Sin-Eaters, Mages, Werewolves, Reapers (I'm guessing) and assorted ghostbusters.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So pluses for the VtM 1e core intro:

Sets the tone incredibly well as one of hella melodrama and SO DARK THE NIGHT SO DARK MY SOUL

Minuses:
Everything else but especially using special terms without defining them and the narrator switching to other languages randomly and not translating them

The 2e core book is almost exactly the same text as the 1e core, but with better formatting and editing and a much more stylish trade dress, and minus the illustrated story that runs through half the book. VtM 1e looks and feels like a Palladium book in comparison to 2e.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

bewilderment posted:

They are super common--the rule of thumb in Geist 2e is that most people who die with Integrity <8 or 9 leaves a ghost. Now, a fair number of those go straight to the Underworld on account of not having unfinished business strong enough to create Anchors (or are only Anchored to their own corpse and just hang out in the cemetery/sleep, Fettered, in their grave), but there are a lot of ghosts out there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bewilderment posted:

I'd be inclined to say that the only real difference would be in population density rather than a particular place being more or less "nice." This would make tony suburbs or areas like college neighborhoods relatively low-ghost, but the real hotbeds would be hospitals, at least outside of the inherently transient environment of a wartime setting.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

GimpInBlack posted:

They are super common--the rule of thumb in Geist 2e is that most people who die with Integrity <8 or 9 leaves a ghost. Now, a fair number of those go straight to the Underworld on account of not having unfinished business strong enough to create Anchors (or are only Anchored to their own corpse and just hang out in the cemetery/sleep, Fettered, in their grave), but there are a lot of ghosts out there.

If 7 is still the general average, this means that almost everyone who dies in the ChroD ends up as a ghost or in the Underworld. That is so bleak and I love it.

This would also mean that there are probably far, far more ghosts in the Underworld than there are people alive on earth.

I hope those Avernian Gates are well-guarded. :stare:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Ironslave posted:

If 7 is still the general average, this means that almost everyone who dies in the ChroD ends up as a ghost or in the Underworld. That is so bleak and I love it.

This would also mean that there are probably far, far more ghosts in the Underworld than there are people alive on earth.

Well... there would be uncounted billions in the Underworld, but the Underworld has a tendency to eat them. But yes, there are a lot of ghosts down there, and some of them have been there a very, very long time.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

I Am Just a Box posted:

The core rules for ephemera definitely still mention ghost buildings and structures.

Ghosts of animals exist. They've always been a thing, and the 2e rules for them are in Geist 2e.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Ghosts of animals exist. They've always been a thing, and the 2e rules for them are in Geist 2e.

But Mage 2e explicitly says only humans (and potentially other soul havers which animals are openly not) can leave ghosts behind. :confused:

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Foglet posted:

But Mage 2e explicitly says only humans (and potentially other soul havers which animals are openly not) can leave ghosts behind. :confused:
Does it? Bollocks. It shouldn't.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I haven't found the passage that says explicitly only humans, but the Denizens of Other Realms section does note that ghosts are the remnants of humans, and it's the same in the CofD core too. That said, given that we have the ghosts of objects, I don't know why this would be assumed to be the case. I've had the ghosts of entire forests as a kind of pained gestalt appear in my game propositions, if nothing else (the remnants of trees that burn, merged with the pained agonies of every animal that died; screaming, burning trees that refuse to go out).

Also, writing out "gestalt" as just made me remember that Geist is a German word. For just a moment, I wondered if it had the German sht sound instead of the common English pronunciation. I had to look it up and am glad it doesn't, because "guy-sht" would sound downright silly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't remember any animal ghosts from like, anything in 1e, although I suppose they could fill the same metaphysical space as the "ghosts" of burned down buildings and such.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Foglet posted:

I always figured the combination of "there are no Human spirits" and "only humans leave ghosts" was driving at something.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Eh, I guess that's a thing that can happen. There's also the whole thing about humans being the only creatures that don't have a Shadow analogue. There are no Human-spirits, but humans do leave behind a crap-ton of ghosts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's important to be able to play Ghost Dog.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ironslave posted:

I have bad news for you. The mages who are "guarding" one in my chronicle are very not good at it. It's in the middle of a 200 year old cemetery that's even older than that. Someday they may actually figure that out, but we're waiting for Geist 2e to come out and then do a session or two of ghost messing.

What I haven't told them (directly) is that it's a living world and it will affect their mage game.

Also, I've always just sort of ran with animals mostly not leaving ghosts. Important animals, who have been anthropomorphized enough, may leave one if there's a good enough reason. Otherwise, I've always just expected that they go off and frolic and maybe become rank 1 spirits if they don't get immediately eaten in that big farm out in the country that parents always tell their kids about.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

This was my party’s favorite spirit from the hunter game I recently finished. It’s a spirit of “the unbridled joy of a child leaping in puddles and also playing with dogs” or something like that.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

do NOT jack off posted:

Eh, I guess that's a thing that can happen. There's also the whole thing about humans being the only creatures that don't have a Shadow analogue.

The running theory on the forums is that human's spirit is part of its soul.

I prefer something more mythic, like the spirit of humanity doesn't allow any lesser spirits and funnels all Essence to himself. Or humanity are a host. Or all the energy is used to fuel the human astral world. If you're going to make up fiction might as well go big.

nofather fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 8, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the easy answer is that a spirit of "humanity" is impossible. Humanity contains too many connotations, too many ideas, too much thingness.

Which is why if you want to point at a spirit of humanity, wave your arm at all the spirits of abstract ideas, such as justice, murder, logic, or so on. Sure, animals alone could maintain some basic abstract spirits - pain, anger, sadness, simple stuff - but they'd be nowhere near as strong or as sophisticated.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
The ghost rules in the CofD corebook are a cut and paste from the God Machine chronicle, where we deliberately kept them to things that mortal investigators would plausibly encounter - no Kerberoi, no Cthonians, no rules about how the Underworld affects ghosts. Mage didn't have room to expand them (but will, maybe, in Fallen Worlds) due to having to cram even more kinds of entity into fewer words, but Geist does.

You seldom hear about ghost animals because they only form when a human feels their loss, they still only think like animals so don't know how to use their powers to prolong their existence in Twilight, and even then they fall to the Underworld faster than humanoid ghosts do. Geist 1e did mention them a few times, IIRC, and Ghost Stories had ghost dogs in it.

But your family dog or the maneating tiger that's bedevilled your village will totally leave a ghost behind.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

And presumably a few ghost dogs do get the hang of it and go on to become the black dog that haunts the churchyard on the moor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

quote:

Matt’s tending to his own situation right now. As a freelance developer, all but one of his projects were already contractually finished, and we have another developer taking over Tormented to finish what Matt started.

From Rich Thomas. Sounds like Matt McFarland's either resigned or been taken off his last project.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Anyone else get a suspiciously phishing-ish e-mail from dhaunae.devir? It leads to a fake google login screen.

nofather fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 8, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

And presumably a few ghost dogs do get the hang of it and go on to become the black dog that haunts the churchyard on the moor.

Church Grims would be a fun thing for sin-eaters to have to deal with/have as a Geist. First thing buried in a graveyard, bound to protect the living from the dead? (Though depending on your version of the story they might be big black goats instead.)

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

unseenlibrarian posted:

Church Grims would be a fun thing for sin-eaters to have to deal with/have as a Geist. First thing buried in a graveyard, bound to protect the living from the dead? (Though depending on your version of the story they might be big black goats instead.)

I think they've mentioned thats one of the natural ways to break the Rank 2 barrier and have a Rank 3 ghost.

The Black Dog myth has representation in Werewolf, with the MacCreedy family and their Hounds of Hades.

nofather fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 8, 2017

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

nofather posted:

I think they've mentioned thats one of the natural ways to break the Rank 2 barrier and have a Rank 3 ghost.

The Black Dog myth has representation in Werewolf, with the MacCreedy family and their Hounds of Hades.

Yep, graveyard guardians are one of the few ways for a ghost to become a Geist without drinking from a River. They don't generally make Bargains, though.

EDIT: Nothing says the first thing buried in a graveyard has to be a person, either. Maybe you don't want to sentence grandpa to an eternity guarding the cemetery, so you bury a black dog or a goat first.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 8, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

GimpInBlack posted:

Yep, graveyard guardians are one of the few ways for a ghost to become a Geist without drinking from a River. They don't generally make Bargains, though.

EDIT: Nothing says the first thing buried in a graveyard has to be a person, either. Maybe you don't want to sentence grandpa to an eternity guarding the cemetery, so you bury a black dog or a goat first.

I like the idea of the backyards of suburb family homes having Rank 3 goldfish ghosts ruling over various other animal ghosts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

nofather posted:

I like the idea of the backyards of suburb family homes having Rank 3 goldfish ghosts ruling over various other animal ghosts.

I AM GLUB OF THE AURIC FIN! GUARDIAN OF THIS BACKYARD! AND I WI.. wait what was I saying again? Who are you?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I kind of like that Mage contradicts the rulebook on animal ghosts existing. From what I know of Mage, that seems like some fitting hubris. Also, Black Dogs are also in CtL as Shadowbanes and you better believe I enjoyed that entry in Dancers in the Dusk.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

What book is the stuff about becoming a rank 3 ghost from? Geist book I assume?

Either way it does give me a neat idea. Church grim that makes a bargain specifically so someone will take care of the graveyard and help the spirits pass on. Just a man and his ghost dog, taking care of some graveyard and helping the dead move on. Maybe punch a necromancer in the face occasionally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

xanthan posted:

Either way it does give me a neat idea. Church grim that makes a bargain specifically so someone will take care of the graveyard and help the spirits pass on. Just a man and his ghost dog, taking care of some graveyard and helping the dead move on. Maybe punch a necromancer in the face occasionally.
Now extend this to Colma, CA.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well, that does certainly solve how I would get that kind of character involved with anything not related to his specific graveyard. Also how are there not more ghost movies about that place? Million and a half dead people, moved from their final resting places so the living could build over them? It sounds like the plot of a ghost movie.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

xanthan posted:

Yeah, that's a Geist 2e teaser.

Nessus posted:

Holy poo poo I wish I had known about this place when we were deciding on the example settings.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GimpInBlack posted:

Holy poo poo I wish I had known about this place when we were deciding on the example settings.
Well, I mean - is it too late? You have every reason to adjust the pitch now that you know about THE SPOOKIEST POSSIBLE AMERICAN TOWN.

e: Also, the reason is probably that Colma doesn't exactly put up advertisements saying "Hi, we're the Spookiest Possible Town." Look at how normal this city website is! https://www.colma.ca.gov/

Personally I find it inspiring.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well, I mean - is it too late? You have every reason to adjust the pitch now that you know about THE SPOOKIEST POSSIBLE AMERICAN TOWN.

The book has already been written and is in development, so yeah, unless I cut somebody's work to make room for it (and write it myself), yeah, it's too late, sadly. Maybe if Geist gets a Kickstarter I'll be able to sneak it into a stretch goal.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If not, player's guide.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Colma's official city motto, according to the wikipedia page on the town, is "It's great to be alive in Colma".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Crossover between Its Always Sunny and 1001 Ways to Die, perhaps?

'It's Great to be Alive in Colma: The gang are burned alive in a sulfuric acid spill'.