Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

The rainbow has 7 colors because Newton had an occultist streak and thought it would be neat to match them up with the 7 musical notes and the 7 classical planets.
seven is the magic number you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dmitri-9 posted:

I just watched the Joker impregnate Spiderman with a fidget spinner who then got an abortion.
see, these videos are the next step in art and the kids are lucky to have them

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did the right thing subscribing to this thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dear god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f37LA3NLapI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkMhFBfjQ5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463F4_K3FGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwLg3HPjQc

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 8, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We survived Newgrounds, I'm sure this will prepare children for the realities of a post-irony world.

Wow, it really was 'The problems of the future, today'.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
seriously this is incredible, i had no idea these were a thing

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
and i've kind of come around to the "what the gently caress does this do to kids psychologically/developmentally" argument

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure their parents can manage to do worse in the long run.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm sure their parents can manage to do worse in the long run.
that's a different sort of loving-up though. parents letting their child be babysat by an ipad are causing all sorts of emotional damage i'm sure, but the youtube video thing almost seems like it could cause neurological problems. like think back to when you were a kid, all your creative stuff was inspired by the media you watched - books, cartoons, comic books, whatever. creative play is a huge part of the actual physical development of a child's brain, and media's intrinsically tied to what kids think about and what they act out with each other. i saw a teacher goon mention that their students are acting out unboxing videos on the playground, like my generation used to act out pokemon battles, and the #1 hot toy this season is a doll with a big elaborate box designed to be unfolded on youtube. remember how completely obsessed you got with various trends as a kid? it consumed your whole life. what is fixating on something like videos of people unpacking trinkets doing to these kids' brains?

(this is keeping in mind that unboxing videos are one of the least weird things on youtube, which has obviously finally managed to attract a major 0-12 demographic and we're all the poorer for it)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I dont think these videos are fully computer generated. They look to me like created with some crappy authoring software from scripts. They are generated by somebody with autism or by some production popeline designed to generate has many videos has posible has fast has possible has a farm method.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

How do they avoid copyright claims? Sometimes if someone sings a song too accurately on a stream they get a strike. I just watched the Joker impregnate Spiderman with a fidget spinner who then got an abortion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm4Algab_qk

They actually appear use this to their advantage:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/927783670458417152

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/927799535761473538

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tei posted:

I dont think these videos are fully computer generated. They look to me like created with some crappy authoring software from scripts. They are generated by somebody with autism or by some production popeline designed to generate has many videos has posible has fast has possible has a farm method.

They aren’t fully computer generated. One of the points the author makes is that there have to be a bunch of studios with multiple people churning out videos based entirely on algorithmically generates titles designed for a kind of hyper-focused SEO.

Some of the articles linked from that medium post are interesting too.

quote:

“It just doesn’t feel right,” one parent — let’s call her “C” — admits to me. Her 2-year-old is mesmerized by surprise-egg videos. Many parents, she suggests, start off handing their child the coveted iPhone or iPad in order to steal a few hours for themselves, and then the egg-opening takes hold.

“It’s so mind-numbing,” C says. “She doesn’t laugh at it or talk about it, except when she’s asking to watch it. She just sits there, transfixed. Plus, there’s something about seeing your kid sitting still and watching a video of somebody playing with toys, instead of actually playing with toys themselves, that makes you feel like the victim of some awful irony of modern life.”

I’m not going to say this is bad and terrible and the modern world is hosed, but it is... weird. The anecdote further down about the kid that will watch endless unboxing videos of toys while having no interest in the toys themselves or the shows the characters are from is weird too. This stuff all fits into a kind of uncanny valley of disturbing where it just seems wrong and exploitative without there being anything about it that’s obviously harmful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

I’m not going to say this is bad and terrible and the modern world is hosed, but it is... weird. The anecdote further down about the kid that will watch endless unboxing videos of toys while having no interest in the toys themselves or the shows the characters are from is weird too. This stuff all fits into a kind of uncanny valley of disturbing where it just seems wrong and exploitative without there being anything about it that’s obviously harmful.
People have been making "they're more interested in the box than the toy" comments since toys have come in boxes and been given to children like that.

And it's true, kids love opening boxes to see what's inside. Adults still feel some of that joy. Unboxing a new thing is fun. And it can't be Christmas everyday, so you can vicariously live out unboxing a new thing via the internet instead.

Unboxings seem fairly harmless, like kids watching an 8mm or VHS of a family Christmas and getting excited when the presents are opened.

The uncanny valley CGI things are a bit more concerning, because they're off enough that kids might emulating them (less concerning, 70s/80's animation had some garbage churned out as fast as possible that didn't seem to bear any connection to normal human interaction), and Youtube's algorithms are not great at separating it from Weird Youtube for adults (more concerning).

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not the same, if I got an empty n64 box I would have been pissed but kids these days would literally prefer to watch others play the game

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Yeah, unboxing seems like the most harmless thing imaginable and you really have to stretch to old man reasons for thinking it's bad.

The weird ultra low quality "educational" videos seem actually bad. In that sticking a kid in front of educational videos is already bottom of the barrel education and these are so far below the floor of a thing that could actually teach anyone anything.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

call to action posted:

It's not the same, if I got an empty n64 box I would have been pissed but kids these days would literally prefer to watch others play the game
That by itself isn't so weird. You've never watched a friend play through part of a single-player game? I mean, I don't really do it anymore, but when I was a kid with much more free time, it was great.

Or heck, when someone is a "into sports", what that usually translates to for an adult is "likes watching other people play sports", not playing so much themselves. And that's obviously highly socially accepted.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, unboxing seems like the most harmless thing imaginable and you really have to stretch to old man reasons for thinking it's bad.
I think it's bad for the same reason I'm not a big fan of toys' advertising to kids in general. But I don't think it's seriously neurologically harmful or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

call to action posted:

I'm 36 and I watch let's plays some.

They are literally just the same thing as podcasts but have a videogame playing. I watch giant bomb play NHL 2016 because I want to listen to them goofball it up not because I care about that game or want to play that game or anything about that game.

It's literally just the same as a podcast. Either about the game for serious lets play or just a podcast that has a game going in the background for long running series. Like northern lion has played 5000+ episodes of binding of issac and he spends like maybe 10% of the playtime talking about binding of Isaac and 90% just doing a podcast on whatever topic he has on his mind that day.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Definitely don’t have a problem with unboxing and let’s plays etc, seems pretty harmless.

However, I’ve got to say these generated videos have the same kind of weird uncanny valley feel that a lot of mainstream kids programming has. When I’ve watched shows like teletubies I feel the same uncomfortable feeling.

I don’t know that these are harmful as much as just confusing. I try to avoid showing my kid anything that lacks narrative since I feel like confusing a developing brain is probably a bad thing.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 8, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ElCondemn posted:

Definitely don’t have a problem with unboxing and let’s plays etc, seems pretty harmless.

However, I’ve got to say these generated videos have the same kind of weird uncanny valley feel that a lot of mainstream kids programming has. When I’ve watched shows like teletubies I feel the same uncomfortable feeling.

The boobah zone

http://danryckert.eu/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's also all about the amount of content too. Watching an hour of unboxing, lets play, football, etc probably relatively harmless. Watching 4+ hours of the same content, even "just" football reruns, a day as a child? That's going to gently caress you up somehow.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I️ have doubts as to the long term negative effects of even the most disturbing of this content so long as the children are being interacted with regularly by their caretakers and other children.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Guavanaut posted:

People have been making "they're more interested in the box than the toy" comments since toys have come in boxes and been given to children like that.

Okay, but I'm not saying anything about unboxing in general. I'm saying it's weird for a kid to sit for hours a day watching someone silently open kinder eggs.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I feel like most of these arguments were made about TV too when kids were left watching it for hours, which doesn't bode well if there is any kind of effect because the kids will grow up before anybody can tell for sure.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The real evil format is the "opening loot boxes" format. Videos of kids opening pack of cards of f2p games.

Opening toys boxes is barelly evil, middly evil. milketoas evil.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like a real thing is getting mixed up in a "these kids today!!!!" old man yells at cloud stuff.

The mad about fads stuff is as stupid as it was 50 years ago.

The stuff that is bad is substandard educational media substituting real educational media, which already is a bottom of the barrel form of education. Like I work with schools and schools show the kids this crap, and it's so far below the bottom of anything reasonable to use as teaching materials.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

I️ have doubts as to the long term negative effects of even the most disturbing of this content so long as the children are being interacted with regularly by their caretakers and other children.

Well, those kids are screwed then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Amazon demonstrates automation of character voice acting in their Lumberyard game engine (based on Crytek):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjnx_wmlaA

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rastor posted:

Amazon demonstrates automation of character voice acting in their Lumberyard game engine (based on Crytek):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjnx_wmlaA

That seems almost shockingly unimpressive, That seems like 6 or 7 years behind the state of the art.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Moreover, it seems good enough for temp only unless you’re going for the ‘random person off the street reading the lines with no emotion’ feel. Their examples were like the very epitome of temp voice work.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Tei posted:

The real evil format is the "opening loot boxes" format. Videos of kids opening pack of cards of f2p games.

I cut the rest because actually, it's all bad. This is straight up priming kids for gacha and mystery box systems. It might not be intentional, but it is absolutely doing that. As someone who works in the mobile gaming industry, and implements those systems and gets paid from those systems, this poo poo is terrifying. We have enough ethical issues, we don't need weaker willed consumers who will spend money on anything (it's already bad enough).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

Moreover, it seems good enough for temp only unless you’re going for the ‘random person off the street reading the lines with no emotion’ feel. Their examples were like the very epitome of temp voice work.

I'm pretty sure somebody in the video says it's just for placeholders?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I do too. Loot boxes are exactly the same thing as slot machines. This isn't anything like actual complicated psychological manipulation like we've seen in the past, these are simple direct copies of one armed bandits and the hysterically well understood mechanisms of gambling addiction.

Somehow, management finally saw the same things on addiction we all did and asked "what is worse than adult gambling addiction and adolescent gaming addiction?"
"Let's do that."

Like gambling, 90% percent of income is going to come from 10% of userbase. The difference is these addicts are 11 years old and have insane suburbananite parents, and lordy, will there be a moral panic to come. But the profits until then are going to be... rather large. Heh, it's almost like money is easier to count than how evil you are.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I mean, is it really that different from opening packs of magic cards? Or baseball cards or Xmen cards or whatever.

I think the ones that are potentially convertible into actual currency (CSGO/Dota2, right?) are bad, and like many gamers I hate ones that give pay-to-win advantages because everyone should be on an even playing field goddammit, but something purely cosmetic like Overwatch's system seems fine to me.

"But some people might still waste too much money even on cosmetics!" Yeah and some people will blow way too much time playing WoW because MMOs are designed to be addictive, but nobody seems to give a poo poo about those anymore.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If lootboxes/unboxings are the devil doesn't youtube versions of them just end up being good things? Someone being able to get 80% of the experiance for zero percent of the cost seems like a thing that would make them less interested in needing to gamble a lot instead of more interested.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cicero posted:

I mean, is it really that different from opening packs of magic cards? Or baseball cards or Xmen cards or whatever.

There are important differences:

Items in a F2P game can't be traded. So if I have 2 of the best heroes in the game, I can't give one to a friend. He have to buy a lot of packs and be lucky.
Is very easy for a kid to get mom phone and click on "buy 19$ of ingame currency". Mom may not even notice.
Kids of very young age are doing this. There are 8 years old and 11 years old doing this. While magic cards was more a teenager thing.
They are virtual items. If the game close, you end with nothing. If you buy a lot baseball cards as kid, you will still have a bunch of useless baseball cards after 20 years.
Is not kids playing with other kids, but adults manipulating people of all ages. No social interaction.

The list is longer, but I will stop here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

There are important differences:

Items in a F2P game can't be traded. So if I have 2 of the best heroes in the game, I can't give one to a friend. He have to buy a lot of packs and be lucky.
Is very easy for a kid to get mom phone and click on "buy 19$ of ingame currency". Mom may not even notice.
Kids of very young age are doing this. There are 8 years old and 11 years old doing this. While magic cards was more a teenager thing.
They are virtual items. If the game close, you end with nothing. If you buy a lot baseball cards as kid, you will still have a bunch of useless baseball cards after 20 years.
Is not kids playing with other kids, but adults manipulating people of all ages. No social interaction.

The list is longer, but I will stop here.

hello school principal that banned pogs because they were gambling.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is that a thing that happened? I don't remember that happening.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cicero posted:

I've seen kids walk in to a store, buy a magic pack, sell what they open to the store then fish money out of their pocket to make the difference to get the next pack, hoping to pull some money card.

It's basically gambling.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RandomPauI posted:

Is that a thing that happened? I don't remember that happening.

Yes, absolutely.

(milk caps is the generic name of pogs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_caps_(game)
Because many children would keep the milk caps they won in games from other players, many school districts considered milk caps a form of gambling.[4][13] Milk caps proved to be major distractions from classes and the source of various playground arguments. These elements eventually led to the banning of milk caps from various schools across North America.[13][14] Other bannings occurred across Australia.[15]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Name a fad, just assumed it was banned from schools because literally every single thing kids like is always a moral panic every single time. Think about how rapidly demonized pokemon go was and the thousands of articles on all the reasons it was actually bad.

• Locked thread