Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Those massdrop 6XXs are gonna be my first higher end headphones so now I'm considering a DAC. I'll probably try them for a while just plugged into my pc, but I'm wondering if that's a good investment if i mostly use them at lower volumes, around 20% on windows master volume setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone itt have experience with suboac or similar technologies? It seems interesting but I don't think I can try it out without purchase

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

Those massdrop 6XXs are gonna be my first higher end headphones so now I'm considering a DAC. I'll probably try them for a while just plugged into my pc, but I'm wondering if that's a good investment if i mostly use them at lower volumes, around 20% on windows master volume setting.

If you plug them into your computer and hear a bunch of buzzing noises, then you could probably benefit from a DAC.
If not, then you most likely won't be able to tell the difference.

If they're not loud enough, then you need an amp.

If they're loud enough, but you want a physical dedicated knob to adjust the volume, you just need a potentiometer.

If you wanna go full retard and spend all the money, I have at least a dozen recommendations for all sorts of separates and components that I've really enjoyed.

Also, my question from the last page still stands (and may be more relevant considering Stan Taylor's latest post)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459
Hype train?
Dirac caught my eye. I was surprised to see that.

But if I'm spending $400 on an AMP/DAC why get this over the Jotunheim?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Budget - $350~ less is better, but I'll spend for quality/longevity
Source - iPhone/iPad/TV/Videogames
Isolation Requirements - the less office chatter the better
Preferred Type of Headphone - I've stuck to IEMs (SE215) in the past, but I'm waiting an over the ear set.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like a good tonal balance (and don't know what it means)
Past Headphones - JVC cheapies, and Shure SE215 back in the day
Preferred Music - dad rock, "indie", tons of podcasts

I'm wanting Bluetooth connectivity, and am trying to decide if I should buy the Sennheiser HD 4.50, Sony MDR1000X(read that these have some quality issues), or pony up for the Bose QC 35s. I'm no audiophile, but I want it to sound decent, be comfortable, and usable at the office to drown people/background noise out, and home to keep from disturbing my girlfriend when I watch football/play videogames. I prefer something that will last over having peak performance.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

visuvius posted:

Has anyone tried any of the cheap(ish) True Wireless bluetooth headphones on Amazon? There are tons and I'm having trouble picking one. I know they all have terrible lag with videos but apparently they're fine for music or podcasts which is mostly what I'll be using them for. I don't really trust the reviews on any of these but they look decent enough.

https://www.amazon.com/TREBLAB-X2-R...ireless+earbuds

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-He...ireless+earbuds

I came into this thread hoping to find someone talking about this, and here you are!

I have spent a large part of the past three days trying to wrap my head around these cheap TWS earbuds and so far I have learned this:
-the brand names printed on them mean nothing, most of them are just rebrands of a few designs from some enterprising manufacturers in China
-because of the lack of consistent brand names, reliable reviews are impossible to find
-there is a high amount of product churn going on here (I'm guessing due to ongoing development and a general lack of QA before releasing a product) so if you do find a product you like odds are it won't be around for long

I've been doing my searching on AliExpress and some Amazon and I keep finding the Amazon items for cheaper straight from China. The lack of positive reviews is.. Business as usual, really.

The first set you linked I can't even seem to find available to me in Canada, which is a little frustrating. The second set you linked looks a lot like various sets I've seen on Ali:
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZzErIR7f http://s.aliexpress.com/6jEZramI

I wouldn't trust most any reviews out there either, which is frustrating if you actually care about things like sound (I wouldn't expect much here), connection quality, battery life, comfort.. So I think you may just have to roll the dice. At least with Amazon you can just return it?

http://s.aliexpress.com/UVRZ3yuU
These are the most bought pair on AliExpress and yet I can't find a review for them anywhere but on AliExpress.

http://s.aliexpress.com/2aAfmUj2
These I have seen "locally" as the SoundPeats Q29 and they do actually have some reviews out there, positive and negative. But they have been reported to not stay in the ears well when sweat is entered into the equation, so I don't think they are really an option

I'm considering just ordering something that looks comfortable and taking my chances?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
new Sennheisers

HD 660 S $500 - only 150ohm impedance so this thing is going to work out of a phone.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s

Setset fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 26, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know where the actual transducers of the new Westone Wxs fall compared to other Westone IEMs? Are they like the U1Js that I have or an upgrade?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I'm looking for a recommendation for non-ear bud bluetooth headphones for my commute. Price range is around $80-100.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Rickets posted:

I'm considering just ordering something that looks comfortable and taking my chances?

I was losing hope someone gave a poo poo about these things! I think, like you say, rolling the dice is pretty much all we can do. I'm trying to decide between that Rockspace set on Ali you posted or the first set I linked to.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

visuvius posted:

I was losing hope someone gave a poo poo about these things! I think, like you say, rolling the dice is pretty much all we can do. I'm trying to decide between that Rockspace set on Ali you posted or the first set I linked to.

If I could find those Treblab X2s available in Canada somehow (Amazon won't ship them here) I would order those, so they are my suggestion. The case looks a little bulkier but there seems to be a review written by an actual person that may not be just a paid advertisement (https://nerdtechy.com/treblab-x2-review) and in this world of little-to-no information it's like an oasis in the desert. Seems like it may be worth a try.

Maybe I'll order the Rockspace set instead and post here in a month or so when they finally show up.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

blugu64 posted:

Budget - $350~ less is better, but I'll spend for quality/longevity
Source - iPhone/iPad/TV/Videogames
Isolation Requirements - the less office chatter the better
Preferred Type of Headphone - I've stuck to IEMs (SE215) in the past, but I'm waiting an over the ear set.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like a good tonal balance (and don't know what it means)
Past Headphones - JVC cheapies, and Shure SE215 back in the day
Preferred Music - dad rock, "indie", tons of podcasts

I'm wanting Bluetooth connectivity, and am trying to decide if I should buy the Sennheiser HD 4.50, Sony MDR1000X(read that these have some quality issues), or pony up for the Bose QC 35s. I'm no audiophile, but I want it to sound decent, be comfortable, and usable at the office to drown people/background noise out, and home to keep from disturbing my girlfriend when I watch football/play videogames. I prefer something that will last over having peak performance.

There is a delay on Bluetooth headphones that may make them unsuitable for gaming & tv. Unless your source device directly supports Bluetooth headphones, this will be a stopper for your usage.

iPhones / iPads will adjust for this delay and offset the video / audio appropriately to make it a non issue.

I had the Sony’s, returned them as they were too hot, and it’s not easy to change to pads to more comfortable ones. They have really good active noise cancelling, but lots of people have reported the headband cracking.

A new version has been announced already too FWIW.
The Bose pair also has a replacement announced, though features are pretty similar.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The hell. pulled the trigger on Senn HD 650, I plug them into my Micca Origen and they are loud at the same volume that my 32 ohm X2s are. I expected them to be a lot harder to drive...Surely I've been bamboozled? They're from Amazon...

e: weird

Setset fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 28, 2017

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

wooger posted:

There is a delay on Bluetooth headphones that may make them unsuitable for gaming & tv. Unless your source device directly supports Bluetooth headphones, this will be a stopper for your usage.

iPhones / iPads will adjust for this delay and offset the video / audio appropriately to make it a non issue.

I had the Sony’s, returned them as they were too hot, and it’s not easy to change to pads to more comfortable ones. They have really good active noise cancelling, but lots of people have reported the headband cracking.

A new version has been announced already too FWIW.
The Bose pair also has a replacement announced, though features are pretty similar.

Went out on a limb with the Sennheisers before I saw your post. There's a bit of a delay but football and single player games it isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker though is, on Bluetooth, it sounds like I'm listening to good headphones through a couple coffee filters. I'm going to try it out Monday in the office and give it one more shot.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just picked up a 1st-gen Schiit Modi. I already had a Magni 2, and I try to be an anti-audiophile, but gently caress that sounds good! Quite an improvement over my Asus Xonar, even when I ran that through the Magni.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

blugu64 posted:

Went out on a limb with the Sennheisers before I saw your post. There's a bit of a delay but football and single player games it isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker though is, on Bluetooth, it sounds like I'm listening to good headphones through a couple coffee filters. I'm going to try it out Monday in the office and give it one more shot.

What source devices are you using other than iPhone? I know that those Sennheisers don’t support AAC bluetooth codec, which is the only high quality one supported on iOS. If you listened to music from an iPhone, you’ll be getting the crappy default Bluetooth codec, losing significantly more quality than with some other headphones.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi guys,

My Soundmagic E10's went all funky so I need new earphones. What are the hot budget ones this year?

Budget - around £50.
Source - My ipod nano mostly, or my phone.
Isolation Requirements - Not a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear/earbud types.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bring me the bass (but not in a poo poo way)
Past Headphones - Soundmagic e10, yuin pk2. They seemed to have good bass and sound for the price.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal music
Mic/controls - Don't want/need one.

Any recommendations are appreciated, I don't really know where to start! I may just get the same pair again, but this may be a chance to get something slightly better.

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 3, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I saw some used Koss Porta Pro Classics and picked them up. Am I a hipster yet, or does that start after I get home and put them on?

Edit: hey these things are pretty good. They feel like the headphones that came with my Walkman when I was 12 but sound way better.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 3, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lube banjo posted:

The hell. pulled the trigger on Senn HD 650, I plug them into my Micca Origen and they are loud at the same volume that my 32 ohm X2s are. I expected them to be a lot harder to drive...Surely I've been bamboozled? They're from Amazon...

e: weird

You can get very nice DAC/Amp combos for not a lot these days. Regardless, your specified amp happens to be specced to drive headphones up to 600 ohms.

https://www.miccatron.com/micca-origen-usb-audio-dac-and-preamp-2/

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

You can get very nice DAC/Amp combos for not a lot these days. Regardless, your specified amp happens to be specced to drive headphones up to 600 ohms.

https://www.miccatron.com/micca-origen-usb-audio-dac-and-preamp-2/

Researched: Apparently ohms have gently caress-all to do with how much volume your headphones need. There's another spec"Sensitivity 103 dB" that tells how much volume something needs.

Volume however doesn't equal loudness at all frequencies. the 300 ohm thing is how much power it needs (not volume) to correctly reproduce the desired range of frequencies. Basically, if it doesn't have enough power then not all frequencies will be equally reproduced, bass may be too low or highs too high for any given volume.

Also gently caress, i drank the kool-aid and have mega upgradeitis. please send help

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have a question! I want to get my mom some nice IEM or earbuds for Christmas. Not really for music, she does court proofreading so basically just clear reproduction of spoken words.

It has to be in-ear because she's tiny and anything that goes over the ears always fall off her head unless she adds a bunch of padding stuff.

I probably want to spend like 100-200 bucks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My massdrop HD 6xx just shipped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mariooncrack posted:

My massdrop HD 6xx just shipped.

:hfive: me too

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Any recommended wireless radio frequency headphones? I want to get some for one of my parents who is hard of hearing for their TV.

Sennheiser RS120 seems to be the most used one.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

succ posted:

Any recommended wireless radio frequency headphones? I want to get some for one of my parents who is hard of hearing for their TV.

Sennheiser RS120 seems to be the most used one.

Does their TV support BT? A lot do, and you can just get whatever BT headset fits their needs... Even if not you could get a BT adapter.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Looking for a recommendation for new headphones for tiny ears (buds are almost never comfortable for me), so over-the-ear is preferred. I mostly use my headphones indoors, using my laptop or phone as the source. No preference on wired vs wireless.
I'm hoping to stay under the $150 mark, but that has some wiggle room.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for a recommendation for new headphones for tiny ears (buds are almost never comfortable for me), so over-the-ear is preferred. I mostly use my headphones indoors, using my laptop or phone as the source. No preference on wired vs wireless.
I'm hoping to stay under the $150 mark, but that has some wiggle room.

What have you used in the past?

I'm a huge fan of these as I wear them for 6+ hours a day at work and they are super comfortable and sound great.

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shugojin posted:

I have a question! I want to get my mom some nice IEM or earbuds for Christmas. Not really for music, she does court proofreading so basically just clear reproduction of spoken words.

It has to be in-ear because she's tiny and anything that goes over the ears always fall off her head unless she adds a bunch of padding stuff.

I probably want to spend like 100-200 bucks.

Is she comfortable with headphones that actual seal inside her ear? Something like the Klipsch X7 would work really well, and they're not that expensive at all.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

MarcusSA posted:

What have you used in the past?

I'm a huge fan of these as I wear them for 6+ hours a day at work and they are super comfortable and sound great.

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW

Oooh, those look perfect. Added to my list to buy shortly. Thanks!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Philips SHP9500S for $51 dollars on newegg right now. Thats a good deal for a daily use PC headphones right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm looking for a set of bluetooth iem/earbuds for someone's desktop, but they don't have bluetooth capability, so they also need a receiver/transmitter.

Please recommend me a set that either has a usb receiver or recommend me a set that you know will play well with a USB bluetooth dongle.
Thanks.

Edit: for reference I was thinking something like the KZ ZST and a usb dongle.

Double edit what the gently caress is the difference between this:
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Dynamic-Hybrid-Earphones-Colorful/dp/B01N0O5LQW/
and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Life-Tandy-KZ-Headphones-Earphones-Cellphones/dp/B071YNL4GK
Besides the price?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 8, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

ddogflex posted:

Does their TV support BT? A lot do, and you can just get whatever BT headset fits their needs... Even if not you could get a BT adapter.

Turns out they have one. Any recommended ones for an older person? Anything like a Sennheiser 595? My parents liked those when they tried them on my PC.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been eyeballing a pair of closed headphones for a bit now, and was looking into the Sennheiser 569s, the 598Cs and at some point someone recommended the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (80 Ohms) to me, which kinda caught my eye.

Here's the thing though: I need to decide in the next few hours so I can send them to a friend who's staying in the states, and neither pair of Sennheisers are available from Amazon at the moment (sold by 3rd parties, which I'd rather avoid, so, questions:

Should I just go for the DT 770s? I've mostly owned Sennheisers and I like them, but it's not like I'm not married to the brand.
If yes, should I go for the 80 ohm or the 32 ohm version? I'll be running them from a FiiO e10k DAC (16-150 ohms).
Do I want to spend a bit more and get the DT990s instead? (These come in 32/250/600 ohms) /edit: the 32s are not available, so this option's off the table

I'm open to suggestions if those are secretly shite.

Thanks in advance!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 9, 2017

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ughhhh posted:

Philips SHP9500S for $51 dollars on newegg right now. Thats a good deal for a daily use PC headphones right?

Yeah, they're great.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been eyeballing a pair of closed headphones for a bit now, and was looking into the Sennheiser 569s, the 598Cs and at some point someone recommended the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (80 Ohms) to me, which kinda caught my eye.

Here's the thing though: I need to decide in the next few hours so I can send them to a friend who's staying in the states, and neither pair of Sennheisers are available from Amazon at the moment (sold by 3rd parties, which I'd rather avoid, so, questions:

Should I just go for the DT 770s? I've mostly owned Sennheisers and I like them, but it's not like I'm not married to the brand.
If yes, should I go for the 80 ohm or the 32 ohm version? I'll be running them from a FiiO e10k DAC (16-150 ohms).
Do I want to spend a bit more and get the DT990s instead? (These come in 32/250/600 ohms) /edit: the 32s are not available, so this option's off the table

I'm open to suggestions if those are secretly shite.

Thanks in advance!

The 32 ohm DT770s come with a relatively short cable (5 ft), and pleather ear pads instead of velour. The cable length can be a plus or a minus depending on how they are going to be used (phone/laptop vs living room). I went out and bought the velour ear pads separately, they are much more comfortable.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi guys, question got missed - sorry for pasting again!

My Soundmagic E10's went all funky so I need new earphones. What are the hot budget ones this year?

Budget - around £50.
Source - My ipod nano mostly, or my phone.
Isolation Requirements - Not a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear/earbud types.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bring me the bass
Past Headphones - Soundmagic e10, yuin pk2. They seemed to have good bass and sound for the price.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal music
Mic/controls - Don't want/need one.

Any recommendations are appreciated, I don't really know where to start! I may just get the same pair again, but this may be a chance to get something slightly better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

grack posted:

Is she comfortable with headphones that actual seal inside her ear? Something like the Klipsch X7 would work really well, and they're not that expensive at all.

She is! Those look like they will work nicely, thank you.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ughhhh posted:

If they are built like the X2s, the channels have no cross feed. IE: the L & R channels are completely independent from another. This does create a kind of cool effect but I think almost every other headphone has some crossfeed. Foobar I know has a plugin that will add it for you, im sure there's other software out there too if you ever wanted that feature

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

NFX posted:

The 32 ohm DT770s come with a relatively short cable (5 ft), and pleather ear pads instead of velour. The cable length can be a plus or a minus depending on how they are going to be used (phone/laptop vs living room). I went out and bought the velour ear pads separately, they are much more comfortable.

Hey, thanks for chiming in.

I'm putting the purchase on hold for now, I kinda realised I was only about to buying them because my friend's in the states (this stuff is really hard/expensive to come by here), and was about to end up getting something that was not probably going to be making a huge difference in my listening experience.

I'll save my money for now and see about upgrading my amp to pave the road for something a little bit better down the line, maybe some 600 or something.

Thanks.

PS: I'll be bugging you guys with DAC/AMP questions soon, so apologies about that. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Apologies for the double post, but I'm still balancing my options. How dumb would it be to grab a pair of HD600 now and get a schiit stack down the line (in like a year probably) if the only thing I have to drive them is a FiiO e10k? And my pc's (onboard) sound card I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oh baby.