Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

People probably felt the same way about Hogan in the 80s. :shrug:

Hogan made millions by getting laid. He's an American hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mark Wahlberg also turned his life around after the conviction, including meeting his victim to apologize (Trinh would later support his efforts to apply for a pardon for the crimes), and established a youth service foundation and participates in a homeless charity. He recognized that what he did in his youth was wrong and began trying to make amends for it. Danny Trejo is similar: he was a drug addict who spent over a decade in and out of prison, including 5 years in San Quentin, but got his act together and became a youth drug counselor before getting into acting.

Kevin Spacey continued to sexually assault people while working on House of Cards and relied on his position as the star and producer to become immune from accusations by the production crew he went after. He didn't just do one thing when he was young. He's a chronic sexual predator to this day.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Yes!! One day when I was 15 and frustrated at not being popular I decided to stop being a little bitch and now my life is really great, and has been since I turned 17 or so when I finally accepted that adversity is to be welcomed with open arms

I wonder if a lack of a proper mentor is also an issue here? They're mentoring each other and reinforcing their hugbox bullshit but I bet the advice of an older, more experienced male in the real world could do wonders for many of these folks

Probably on to something. I had an older cousin who was my best friend and basically always said, "Just ask her out. If she says no, move on to the next one."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Mark Wahlberg also turned his life around after the conviction, including meeting his victim to apologize (Trinh would later support his efforts to apply for a pardon for the crimes), and established a youth service foundation and participates in a homeless charity. He recognized that what he did in his youth was wrong and began trying to make amends for it. Danny Trejo is similar: he was a drug addict who spent over a decade in and out of prison, including 5 years in San Quentin, but got his act together and became a youth drug counselor before getting into acting.

Kevin Spacey continued to sexually assault people while working on House of Cards and relied on his position as the star and producer to become immune from accusations by the production crew he went after. He didn't just do one thing when he was young. He's a chronic sexual predator to this day.

pfffbbbhhmeh, I don't wanna think too hard about this poo poo. I'm just trying to get an ego boost over here

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

I really do have a lot more respect for people who take meaningful steps for some kind of rectification of horrible things they've done in their past, especially if they're using their influence to help prevent other people from going down the same paths.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hogan made millions by getting laid. He's an American hero.

Hogan was worrying about the Wall years before Donald Trump.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aerdan posted:

It looks like the worst that could be said about Sir Patrick is that he's divorced several times? That's about all Wikipedia has for dings against him.

Dig into the history of the Star Trek movies and you get a less rosy picture. Stewart's the British version of a redneck, more or less - likes fast cars (he's how we got the infamous opening scene of Nemesis), wants to be an action star, loves guns, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most people are more nuanced than we may want or expect them to be.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Cythereal posted:

Dig into the history of the Star Trek movies and you get a less rosy picture. Stewart's the British version of a redneck, more or less - likes fast cars (he's how we got the infamous opening scene of Nemesis), wants to be an action star, loves guns, etc.

Well gosh, if he likes fast cars he must be awful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cythereal posted:

And to think, I wanted to drink with the man BEFORE I knew we had so much in common!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh my god LOL I swear to god if I had money to burn I'd buy :randstare:

Cythereal posted:

Yeah not seeing a problem here.

Edit 2: This is the 1337est page of the thread. PH34R.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Nov 9, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Edit: Sorry.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Patrick Stewart is a known womanizer and pervert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah not seeing a problem here.

Problem is he kept trying to drag that crap into Star Trek, which in general was not a setting or show with any place for car chases and even during war arcs the battles were never the point or center of the drama.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

hosed up of him to try and make star trek cool

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

hosed up of him to try and make star trek cool

what a piece of poo poo

less action, more reversing the quantum thrusters for the Weekly Problem, imo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Problem is he kept trying to drag that crap into Star Trek, which in general was not a setting or show with any place for car chases and even during war arcs the battles were never the point or center of the drama.

He's an inestimably less sleazy dude than Roddenberry had a reputation for being. :shrug:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Patrick Stewart played literal poo in Emoji Movie.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captains log, star date 2364:

Commander Riker and I are undercover detectives on the hot rod circuit. Now let's BURN RUBBER BABY!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Memento posted:

Multiple times. Against African-Americans and Vietnamese people, and then again against a random dude. He beat a Vietnamese war veteran so hard that the guy lost the use of the eye he didn't lose in the war.

He's a loving scumbag.

don't forget he's been trying to get this felony expunged from his record

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

im pooping! posted:

Patrick Stewart played literal poo in Emoji Movie.

Tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't tell poop jokes into a microphone if someone paid you $1 million+ to do it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

NFL commissioner being offered the same type of contract that the league uses to exploit the players

https://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-reportedly-furious-at-being-offered-non-1820289814

quote:

Perhaps the most unjust thing about the NFL is that owners are not required to offer players guaranteed contracts. Commissioner Roger Goodell, who has become fabulously wealthy thanks to the guaranteed contracts he’s enjoyed for the last 11 years, has never seemed too concerned by the fact that so many of his league’s players can have their salaries voided at any moment. With that in mind, please enjoy this paragraph from an ESPN report about Jerry Jones’s mounting efforts to undermine Goodell:

A person who spoke recently with Goodell said the commissioner is “furious” about Jones’ and other owners’ insistence that his next contract’s compensation should be more performance-based, including incentives that would allow him to be paid at roughly the same level of his current deal. “He feels as if the owners have made a lot of money and he should be compensated accordingly,” the source said. “The incentives thing really angers him.”

Man, does that feel good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Besesoth posted:

Tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't tell poop jokes into a microphone if someone paid you $1 million+ to do it.

I'd do it for a couple hundo at least.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FogHelmut posted:

NFL commissioner being offered the same type of contract that the league uses to exploit the players

https://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-reportedly-furious-at-being-offered-non-1820289814

The NFL is collapsing under its own hubris.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

don't forget he's been trying to get this felony expunged from his record

Not expunged, just a full unconditional pardon. It would remain on his record, but he would be absolved of the legal restrictions that he received from the convictions. He even mentions in the pardon request that he's very open about the terrible things he did and that they're the reason for his philanthropic efforts.

I think it's worthwhile to note that Trinh, the Vietnamese man he beat nearly to death, supported his pardon after Wahlberg met him to apologize and spent so many years working to repent for his youth. It was only denied because he didn't meet a paperwork deadline.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

iospace posted:

The NFL is collapsing under its own hubris.

I can't wait until football is finally over forever.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cythereal posted:

How can people get this, and Roddenberry being pervert, but complete miss the part where the BBC had a massive pedophile/sexual predator coverup ring going on in the 70's and early 80's?

The investigation is still ongoing and some of the even current stars (from Stewarts age group) keep disappearing in disgrace because of the criminal investigation and charges being finally brought up. This, actually, is what concerns me most.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVTj_oKlvZA

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

If we are tossing out imagined skeletons...what about just being gay? The young wife would make a lovely beard. And it would explain the captain's chest revealing bed-wear.

Pfft, everyone already knows Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian Mckellen are both secretly married and have been for quite a few years and I won't have anyone tell me otherwise. :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Der Kyhe posted:

How can people get this, and Roddenberry being pervert, but complete miss the part where the BBC had a massive pedophile/sexual predator coverup ring going on in the 70's and early 80's?

The investigation is still ongoing and some of the even current stars (from Stewarts age group) keep disappearing in disgrace because of the criminal investigation and charges being finally brought up. This, actually, is what concerns me most.

I mean, that's a valid point and all but unless actual proof comes out that Stewart was loving kids it's pretty lovely to paint him with that brush. It's the sort of attitude that turns thorough investigations into witch hunts.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wasn't he kinda of an rear end in a top hat during TNG's production?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah, he was. The other cast members used to goof of a lot and he was trying to be the serious actor.
He mellowed out in the second year though. There were rumours that he was very harsh on Denise Crosby.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Patrick Stewart molested me when I was eight. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Negrostrike posted:

Good luck enjoying any sort of media if "kind of an rear end in a top hat" is a deal breaker for you. Remember that these are people, by their nature, that enjoy the spotlight and have made a living out of getting attention from other people. Would it really be shocking to find out that the majority of them have engaged in rear end in a top hat behavior from time to time?

As another poster said, someone like Spacey or Weinstein has never even tried to stop committing crimes and probably would have continued doing so if not for what's happening now. By comparison Mark Walhberg has put a tremendous amount of the money he's made into atoning for what he did when he was 16(!). People should be able to ask for forgiveness, and get it, that should be allowed in our society. If the victim has forgiven him, and the perpetrator has taken serious steps to better themselves and use their resources to prevent similar crimes, I say that's to be celebrated.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://i.imgur.com/42catTS.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

And the pičce de résistance

I know that we're not supposed to enjoy the murder of another person, but I can't really find any sympathy to drum up. Also, not linking it because it's hosed up to do to the family, but an online obituary has popped up that's public, and people have been going hard on the comments. Like, holy poo poo you know that it's his family that's reading those comments, you morons?
:allears:

Leader of the League of the South and neo-nazi piece of poo poo Michael Hill gets drowned out by counterprotesters playing La Bamba at a White Lives Matter protest in Shelbyville, Tennessee. They cancelled their second planned demonstration after being outnumbered 3 to 1 by antifascists at their first stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezWU61DgW0

"You can party all you want to, you degenerate whores!" :laffo:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

ultrabindu posted:

Yeah, he was. The other cast members used to goof of a lot and he was trying to be the serious actor.
He mellowed out in the second year though. There were rumours that he was very harsh on Denise Crosby.

He didn't even unpack his suitcase for like 6? months because he was positive the show would flop and he'd be back doing theatre.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Basebf555 posted:

Good luck enjoying any sort of media if "kind of an rear end in a top hat" is a deal breaker for you. Remember that these are people, by their nature, that enjoy the spotlight and have made a living out of getting attention from other people. Would it really be shocking to find out that the majority of them have engaged in rear end in a top hat behavior from time to time?

As another poster said, someone like Spacey or Weinstein has never even tried to stop committing crimes and probably would have continued doing so if not for what's happening now. By comparison Mark Walhberg has put a tremendous amount of the money he's made into atoning for what he did when he was 16(!). People should be able to ask for forgiveness, and get it, that should be allowed in our society. If the victim has forgiven him, and the perpetrator has taken serious steps to better themselves and use their resources to prevent similar crimes, I say that's to be celebrated.

uh have you considered never forgiving anyone of anything they did though?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This will probably surprise no one and break even fewer hearts the way some of the other news did, but guess who's being accused of sexual harassment now?

Steven Seagal, seen here fondling a pair of huge melons.

quote:

Incident, which saw the actor allegedly ‘unzip his trousers’ during an audition in his office, follows similar claims of misconduct made by three other women

Portia De Rossi has accused actor and producer Steven Seagal of sexually harassing her during an audition for one of his films.

The allegations, which were shared by the Arrested Development actor on Twitter, follows similar claims of misconduct made against Seagal by three other women.

“My final audition for a Steven Segal [sic] movie took place in his office,” De Rossi wrote. “He told me how important it was to have chemistry off-screen as he sat me down and unzipped his leather pants.”
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/09/steven-seagal-accused-of-harassment-by-portia-de-rossi

:getin:

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He didn't even unpack his suitcase for like 6? months because he was positive the show would flop and he'd be back doing theatre.

Yeah, he was almost right. Early TNG behind the scenes was rowdier that a bag of cats. Drugged out Roddenberry and his crazy lawyer running the show.