Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IIRC these are intended for HotAC, so imbalance is to be expected somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

thespaceinvader posted:

Stop ruining my fun!

(Yes, these are hotac)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'd really love to see that Widowmaker upgrade card as an upgrade for X-Wings. With cleaned up language, of course, but the intention of being able to take an action (likely reposition) if someone tries to escape your perfect shot is clear.

I'd probably add "Your action bar gains the <barrel roll> action" if it were T-65 only.

Imagine that poo poo on Wedge, or Wes. You're probably not arc dodging that!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd really love to see that Widowmaker upgrade card as an upgrade for X-Wings. With cleaned up language, of course, but the intention of being able to take an action (likely reposition) if someone tries to escape your perfect shot is clear.

I'd probably add "Your action bar gains the <barrel roll> action" if it were T-65 only.

Imagine that poo poo on Wedge, or Wes. You're probably not arc dodging that!

This is the dumb idea I came up with a while back:

quote:

Rogue Squadron Pilot (2 Points)
Title T-65 X-Wing Only

If an enemy ship within your firing arc performs a boost, barrel roll, or SLAM action, you may perform a free barrel roll action. You may not perform any further actions this turn.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is the dumb idea I came up with a while back:

Make it free, and make it read "You may perform a free barrel roll action after an enemy ship within your firing arc at range 1-3 performs a boost, barrel roll, or SLAM action. You may also equip the Integrated Astromech modification if your shield value is 2 or lower."

Since it's a free action, you don't have to worry about multiple rolls (can't take the same action, even if it's free, more than once per round). The range restriction keeps people from getting rolls back in their starting areas (little known rule is that firing arcs extend the entire length of the playmat; this is fun on Rey).

Removing the "cannot take further actions" clause doesn't punish high PS pilots who haven't moved yet: they can still take their regular actions. The shield restriction on the IA clause keeps people from also taking IA on T70s, but adds a lot of value to T65s, who frankly NEED it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

Make it free, and make it read "You may perform a free barrel roll action after an enemy ship within your firing arc at range 1-3 performs a boost, barrel roll, or SLAM action. You may also equip the Integrated Astromech modification if your shield value is 2 or lower."

Since it's a free action, you don't have to worry about multiple rolls (can't take the same action, even if it's free, more than once per round). The range restriction keeps people from getting rolls back in their starting areas (little known rule is that firing arcs extend the entire length of the playmat; this is fun on Rey).

Removing the "cannot take further actions" clause doesn't punish high PS pilots who haven't moved yet: they can still take their regular actions. The shield restriction on the IA clause keeps people from also taking IA on T70s, but adds a lot of value to T65s, who frankly NEED it.

That seems reasonable. Great job guys, we fixed X-Wings! :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Wouldn't it be simpler just to errata "X-wings without "T-70" in their name are now called "T-65 X-wings"" rather than messing with shield values?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Iceclaw posted:

Wouldn't it be simpler just to errata "X-wings without "T-70" in their name are now called "T-65 X-wings"" rather than messing with shield values?

What if they release a T-85 X-Wing? Do I have to errata that errata?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Could you also say "only do X if you don't have a Tech upgrade slot."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

Could you also say "only do X if you don't have a Tech upgrade slot."

Or "if you don't have boost in your action bar" or "If your ship model is red highlights over Gateway computer case beige (circa 1996)".

Any differentiation would work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also now I'm picturing a truly hilarious mess of nested actions if 4x Rookies fought 4x Blues, and one of the blues boosted.

He boosted, so all my guys get the opportunity to barrel roll. I'll roll Rookie #1 and not the others.

Okay so I'll roll Blues #1 and #2 in response.

Now Rookie #4 rolls, but I'm gonna hold off on #2 and #3.

Well I'm gonna roll Blue #3 out of arc.

Not so fast! Rookie #3 is gonna roll to catch that blue!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

loving god yes, can they not just release an errata list that names all 'X Wing' pilots to 'T65 X Wing' and add TIE/ln Fighter, TIE/sa Bomber, etc to the list whilst they're at it? I mean, do it by actual pilot name, not by ship name.

It's stupid the gymnastics people go to to propose x wing fixes that don't overpower the T70 rather than just loving changing the name to what it should have been all along.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

loving god yes, can they not just release an errata list that names all 'X Wing' pilots to 'T65 X Wing' and add TIE/ln Fighter, TIE/sa Bomber, etc to the list whilst they're at it? I mean, do it by actual pilot name, not by ship name.

It's stupid the gymnastics people go to to propose x wing fixes that don't overpower the T70 rather than just loving changing the name to what it should have been all along.

On the other hand, for some reason Vader pilots a TIE Advanced x1 instead of a TIE Advanced, so they had to FAQ that he can equip an Advanced Targeting Computer.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ConfusedUs posted:

What if they release a T-85 X-Wing? Do I have to errata that errata?

"All existing", and then add under it "This include {All T-65 pilots}".
I mean, you have to ignore half of what is written on a jumpmaster card, you can have a list of pilots whose ship name can change.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 7, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Had a group close the shop and drink beer session on the weekend and was trying out some ideas. 2 K fighters and Assaj ran really well, but I also threw this together for someone to try out and it was kind of beastly. Could have been the grog. What is everyone's opinions?

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Scavenger Crane (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Vaksai (0)

Viktor Hel (25)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Scavenger Crane (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Vaksai (0)

Captain Jostero (24)
Deadeye (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Scavenger Crane (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Vaksai (0)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I also ran Dash plus 2 gunships. It did ok, but I really had trouble keeping dash alive for long. Also, Wookie Gunships vs Assaj is a long painful process.

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 7, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Harpoon missiles are really, really good.
Kiraxhzhkzh fighters at the end of the day are still just 5hp behind 2 agility, but they hit so hard with harpoon missiles and deadeye that it's OK anyway.
I'm experimenting right now with a 2x black sun ace list with deadeye harpoons plus Nym with deadeye harpoons and TLT. Thus far, it's pretty dang good. Nym can tank damage pretty well, and puts out consistent damage with the TLT.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

On the other hand, for some reason Vader pilots a TIE Advanced x1 instead of a TIE Advanced, so they had to FAQ that he can equip an Advanced Targeting Computer.

And that was dumb as poo poo as well.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I’m considering running this on a tournament on saturday. (no, I haven’t misspelled «squad».) Unsure if I should drop Cad Bane, I’m guessing people won’t have too much trouble avoiding the bomblets, on the other hand Cad will probably make them more wary. I also kind of want Seismic Torpedos on Thweek, allowing me to trigger Jostero’s ability.

Yolo Sqaud (99)

•Captain Nym (42) - Scurrg H-6 Bomber
Veteran Instincts (1), Twin Laser Turret (6), •Cad Bane (2), •Bomblet Generator (3)

•Captain Jostero (27) - Kihraxz
Deadeye (0), Harpoon Missiles (3), Vaksai (0), Guidance Chips (0)

•Thweek (30) - StarViper
StarViper Mk.II (-3), Autothrusters (2), •Virago (1), Fire Control System (2)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I love seeing people misspell "Kihraxz."

Of course, I have no idea how its really pronounced. Is it "Kih-raj?" Or do you just brute force it and spray your opponent in the face when you try to say "Kih-ra-ecks-zzz?"

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I go with "ka-rack-see" and I don't care if it's wrong or not.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kihr-ax-zz is how I pronounce it. Kinda stretch out the x into sort of a z sound a bit longer than is usual for an X. It's mostly silent and/or in my head, but I do it anyway. :)

Same for the Syck. Is the y long E or long I (SEEK or SIKE). I give it the E sound.

rear end in a top hat pirates can't even make their names easy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's actually called the Scyk though, not Syck, so I pronounce it like sheikh: SHEEK

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

It's actually called the Scyk though, not Syck, so I pronounce it like sheikh: SHEEK

It's S'kick

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kiraz or Kirax depending on how I'm feeling. But usually K Fighter.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

IronSaber posted:

I love seeing people misspell "Kihraxz."

Of course, I have no idea how its really pronounced. Is it "Kih-raj?" Or do you just brute force it and spray your opponent in the face when you try to say "Kih-ra-ecks-zzz?"

Bad Scrabble Hand Fighter.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I say it kee-RACKZ

Also

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

I say it kee-RACKZ

Also

hahaha

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

thespaceinvader posted:

Kiraz or Kirax depending on how I'm feeling. But usually K Fighter.

Yep, K-Fighter is the only correct answer.

I really wish we were not getting 2 waves in December. Xmas, daughters birthday, paying for our summer holiday equals dad having very little "fun" money.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Get kylo ren E-wing. Forget the rest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm getting at least 2 Assault Gunboats, I think.

And probably a TIE Silencer too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"Wave 13 is only $70 to buy one of each release"
hmm that doesn't seem so bad
"Also, it's only 2 ships"
:monocle:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
With Assaj and 2 K fighters what do you guys think would work best, vectored thrusters or stealth device on the fighters?

Also I am seeing some arguments come up about Harpoon missiles. Tellme if I am wrong on how it goes.

Attacker fires Harpoon missiles and has 3 hit and a crit

The defender has 5 shields and rolls one evade.

Defender loses 3 shields, but since the crit was not cancelled it triggers the Harpooned condition and also takes on facedown damage card and everyone in range 1 takes 1 damage.

Have had people argue that the original attack does not do damage. That the harpoon condition doesn't trigger until another attack causes a crit and my personal favourite that shields cancel crits. Pretty sure I am right in the above but thought I would check

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 9, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Harpoon mission literally says to apply the condition after the attack resolves. So you do damage like normal, handeling crits like normal, then apply the condition if a crit was not canceled during the attack. Crits do not go though shields and shields do not cancel crits they just make it so you do not flip the card over because of the crit

Harpoon missile conditions do not trigger on the same attack it is applied. Just read the Harpoon Missile card

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 9, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vectored for sure

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Agreed on taking Vectored Thrusters. Stealth Device isn’t worth taking if your base agility isn’t 3 to start with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Ya, those are from that dude who runs HOTAC Irregular Squadron poo poo and it looks like he runs the most broken and busted games of Wang to ever exist.

But I guess that's what HOTAC is about? I dunno.

Does make me wonder if anyone in that group is even capable of playing a regular 100pt dogfight at this point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

With Assaj and 2 K fighters what do you guys think would work best, vectored thrusters or stealth device on the fighters?

Also I am seeing some arguments come up about Harpoon missiles. Tellme if I am wrong on how it goes.

Attacker fires Harpoon missiles and has 3 hit and a crit

The defender has 5 shields and rolls one evade.

Defender loses 3 shields, but since the crit was not cancelled it triggers the Harpooned condition and also takes on facedown damage card and everyone in range 1 takes 1 damage.

Have had people argue that the original attack does not do damage. That the harpoon condition doesn't trigger until another attack causes a crit and my personal favourite that shields cancel crits. Pretty sure I am right in the above but thought I would check

As mentioned, the condition isn't applied until the attack is totally over. So in the situation you're describing, it's just a regular ol' missile hit.
Now, say you have a second harpoon missile shooting at a target that already has the Harpooned! condition.
Same attack roll H/H/H/C, and the defender has 5 shields, and rolls one evade.
Defender cancels one hit with the evade result. Remaining uncancelled hits are H/H/C. The attack has hit. This means that at the end of this attack, you are going to assign a Harpooned! condition. But since it already has one, we must resolve that first.

quote:

When you are hit by an attack, if there is at least 1 uncanceled CRIT result, each other ship at Range 1 suffers 1 damage. Then discard this card and receive 1 facedown Damage card.

When you are destroyed, each ship at Range 1 suffers 1 damage.

Since the trigger is "when you are hit by an attack", that's step 6.iv from the attack chart. You are hit, and there are uncancelled CRIT results. Now, you follow the text, deal the splash damage to the R1 ships, and deal a facedown card to that ship and discard the condition.
This didn't cancel any results, so you're moving on to step 7 as usual. Step 7.i has you remove 2 shield tokens for the remaining HIT results. Step 7.ii has you remove 1 shield tokens for the remaining CRIT result.
Since this was a harpoon missile, after the attack is done, you're going to apply another Harpooned! condition to the ship at the very end.
So it started with a Harpooned! condition and 5 shields, and a roll of H/H/H/C vs. 1 evade result ends up removing a total of 3 shields, dealing one damage card, splashing damage to all ships at range 1, and getting a new condition at the end.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I know people who love HotAC, and I admit I liked it for a few missions, but once poo poo got unbalanced and your little ship starts to become a god among ships, it really lost its appeal. It was like being level 99 on Final Fantasy and fighting some level 15 enemies, which is a waste of everyone's time. But then again, to each their own; we are all wasting our time on toy space ships.

Edit: with how wordy and badly written some of the new cards are, they just need to start putting that flow chart on the card with an arrow that says 'do X here'. Would cut down on the people who love to debate/bend the English language.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 9, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's an even uglier mess when you're attacking a ship that has the Harpooned! condition with a TLT.
Your TLT roll is HHC, and defender rolls one evade. OK, your attack hits, and there is an uncancelled crit. But wait, you have to cancel all dice results and then deal a damage. But do you trigger Harpooned! before you cancel the results or after? Sounds like the same timing window, so it depends on initiative then, right?
So if the attacker has initiative, they would have to cancel their results and deal a damage, which means that the defender wouldn't trigger harpooned! But if the defender has initiative, they would have to take the splash damage and a facedown card first.

That's assuming the defender "owns" the harpooned condition, but do they? Even though it's assigned to their ship, it's a "must" effect that they didn't create. If the attacker "owns" that condition, then they can trigger them in any order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So, some speculation for System Open 2018:

Adepticon's preregistration event lists has System Open Stage 1 at 300 people on Friday from 10-3:30, then System Open Stage 2 for 128 from 4:30-9:00. Then Finals for 28 on Saturday from 10-3:30. So it looks like the two-days of qualifiers are out.

There's also Hyperspace Qualifiers on both Thursday and Saturday for 128 people, so I'm guessing we're also getting X-Wing versions of the Galactic Qualifiers that were announced for Destiny yesterday. If that's the case, looks like they'd be 7 rounds of swiss and the undefeated player gets a spot at Worlds.

• Locked thread