Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Go to a protest and scream and hit people because screaming feels good and inflicting pain on people you don't like is a thrill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

Oh I forgot to mention because some of you were all 'dude why would this legal thing make you exempt from employment in government / an office'

The details of the crime were some guy in the government building I worked in got his personal and government credit cards stolen and whoever stole them tried to use them to buy some crap and was captured on camera doing so. I apparently got IDd as the guy in the camera by the person that did security and card access stuff for the building and voila, I'm perp walked out of the office and lose my job and spend the next two years of my life sitting at home wondering if my life is hosed forever and I'm going to jail.

Seeing as I got off on a technicality, I'm left with any potential manager or HR person who finds out the real reason why I have a two year gap in my resume asking themselves if they'd be willing to risk hiring a guy that might be a thief who rips off other employees.

Yeah, it is absolutely real. My wife googled the new guy at work, and it is likely he is going to get fired in his first week since their customers will absolutely flip their poo poo if they google him too. His acquittal doesn't matter.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe how many people in this thread all have stories about being screwed over by cops / the justice system, "false charges",lawyer advice etc, I can tell you in my circle the only people that have a lawyer are drug dealers and chronic DUI'ers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

patonthebach posted:

drug dealers and chronic DUI'ers.

Goons.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah, it is absolutely real. My wife googled the new guy at work, and it is likely he is going to get fired in his first week since their customers will absolutely flip their poo poo if they google him too. His acquittal doesn't matter.

Imagine how my bro in law feels. Google his name + the city he lives in and literally the first hit is an article about him pleading guilty to assaulting a woman in an old folks home.

EDIT: I'm actually super lucky that the crown withdrew my charges rather than me actually getting to plead my case. At least nothing bad comes up when you look me up online.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 9, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

EvilJoven posted:

Go to a protest and scream and hit people because screaming feels good and inflicting pain on people you don't like is a thrill denying fascists a platform is the duty of all free and righteous people

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

patonthebach posted:

I can't believe how many people in this thread all have stories about being screwed over by cops / the justice system,

Now imagine how white and wealthy this thread skews.

E: ie Lots of people who aren't old stock computer janitors could tell you 10x worse

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kraftwerk posted:

Not denying what you’re saying. While Trump getting elected is objectively bad news, it doesn’t justify the level of histrionics I’ve seen in response. Especially since the very people who are supposed to be opposing him are busy wasting time on the drama rather than the covert attacks on US Bureaucracy and civi services under his watch. The real issues, are extremely boring and difficult to explain in sound bytes but they do way more damage than a twitter account.

This is an incredibly privileged opinion

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Go to a protest and scream and hit people because screaming feels good and inflicting pain on people you don't like is a thrill.

No wonder you were in trouble with the law.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hitting Nazis is actually inherently good under all circumstances, but if you are going to do it you should at least conceal your identity and move with a group of similarly civic-minded citizens, because the police are there to enforce legality, not morality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hitting Nazis is actually inherently good under all circumstances, but if you are going to do it you should at least conceal your identity and move with a group of similarly civic-minded citizens, because the police are there to enforce legality, not morality.

He didn't say that. He said "inflicting pain on people you don't like" is good. Nazis were not a part of that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

He didn't say that. He said "inflicting pain on people you don't like" is good. Nazis were not a part of that.

He didn't say it was good. He said it felt good.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I would like to see all your examples of people hurting people they don't like at protests that aren't people punching actual Nazis

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ there's regularly violence at all sorts of protests?

littleorv posted:

He didn't say it was good. He said it felt good.

Worthless distinction, obviously he thinks it's good.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think he might have put a little irony on that one.

But Nazis definitely have it coming.

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ there's regularly violence at all sorts of protests?

Cite examples, if you'd be so kind? There is also regularly no violence at all sorts of protests.

e: also, if Nazis aren't automatically included under someone's "people I don't like" well, hmm, hmmmmmm,

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 9, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have intense irony poisoning

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
No I loving don't think it's good and if you take that post and the two before that as anything other than me expressing my extreme distaste at the fact that I now see the spotlight both on the left and the right being taken up by people on both sides who are screaming nonsense, arguing in bad faith, destroying property, hurting maiming and south of the border sometimes killing each other because of selfish reasons and cheap thrills, actions which are escalating the horrible state of the political climate here south of the border and across the globe, then gently caress you.

I haven't hurt anyone.

Also I really don't like nazis either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Cite examples, if you'd be so kind? There is also regularly no violence at all sorts of protests.

Sure there is, protests go both ways. Also nah you have access to Google and the news.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

So what are you getting at? I'm confused, it's been a long week.

A lot of violence at protests that don't involve fascists seems to either come from or be provoked by the cops, or result from a very long and predictable buildup of anger and tension that the cops had every opportunity to try to defuse but instead responded to with more riot shields and pseudo-military dickwaving, so I'm a bit nonplussed here.

Like I'm not trying to poo poo on the cops, but this idea of nihilistic Black Bloc anarchists who show up to protests just to throw bricks is largely a paranoid right-wing fantasy and if another protester tries to convince you to do something to that effect he is absolutely 100% a cop

EvilJoven posted:

No I loving don't think it's good and if you take that post and the two before that as anything other than me expressing my extreme distaste at the fact that I now see the spotlight both on the left and the right being taken up by people on both sides who are screaming nonsense, arguing in bad faith, destroying property, hurting maiming and south of the border sometimes killing each other because of selfish reasons and cheap thrills, actions which are escalating the horrible state of the political climate here south of the border and across the globe, then gently caress you.

I haven't hurt anyone.

Ah yes, there are indeed good people on both sides

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 9, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

So what are you getting at? I'm confused, it's been a long week.

A lot of violence at protests that don't involve fascists seems to either come from or be provoked by the cops, or result from a very long and predictable buildup of anger and tension that the cops had every opportunity to try to defuse but instead responded to with more riot shields and pseudo-military dickwaving, so I'm a bit nonplussed here.

Like I'm not trying to poo poo on the cops, but this idea of nihilistic Black Bloc anarchists who show up to protests just to throw bricks is largely a paranoid right-wing fantasy and if another protester tries to convince you to do something to that effect he is absolutely 100% a cop

Ah yes, there are indeed good people on both sides

I don't know what you're getting at either. Those anarchists/Black Bloc/whatever are definitely a thing, although it's a lot less common than people think.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know what you're getting at either. Those anarchists/Black Bloc/whatever are definitely a thing, although it's a lot less common than people think.

I guess we're both confused then? I think I misinterpreted your post as insinuating that left-wing violence at protests was a common occurrence. That's my bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I guess we're both confused then? I think I misinterpreted your post as insinuating that left-wing violence at protests was a common occurrence. That's my bad.

Nah, I just was saying that it *does* happen, it's not common. I attend a lot of rallies and protests and it does happen.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It happens but it's not a left vs. right thing, it's just some assholes.

America is hosed right now because their democracy has been hijacked by the minority party and now they are trying to strip the remaining few social programs they have to give back to the millionaires that made it possible.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Hitting Nazis is cool and fine, but I think the point of his comments is that a lot of these people are just looking for something to be angry and outraged about rather than a legitimate concern for the issues.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Hitting Nazis is cool and fine, but I think the point of his comments is that a lot of these people are just looking for something to be angry and outraged about rather than a legitimate concern for the issues.

Right, but the thing here (wrt in-person protests specifically) is that it's not "a lot of" people, it's a small handful of assholes. There was a pronounced anarchist presence at the Parliament Hill counterprotest I went to recently, and every time some Nazi came by to pick fights they would basically circle around him and mock him, isolating him and hustling him to the edge of the group so they could just shove him out (to be immediately marched away by the cops, natch). They're not stupid; they don't want to give the police an excuse to come down on them.

Anybody throwing bricks etc at a previously peaceful protest is either a world-class piece of poo poo or intentionally trying to disrupt the protest.

Social media is a whole different thing obviously, but ignorant angry people with a platform is hardly a new dynamic.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

loving finally. Thank you for not being willingly dense, unlike some people.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

We've established that the people that are angry at nothing and smash stuff are assholes and in very small numbers so why is it such a huge concern compared to say the GOP and Trump dismantling American democracy and social programs. They are basically succeeding for the most part where Harper failed here.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Honestly, it's because of expectations and the reaction the left receives.

Quite frankly, people expect the right to be assholes, to implement policies that are all FYGM, to rally up followers based on xenophobia and hate and willful ignorance.

Get some dickhead gun toting fat white goober in jogging pants and a confederate flag hat and record him harassing and even assaulting someone for being black or gay or not supporting the dumbest of republican ideals and people barely bat an eye. It's normal.

Now, the left, on the other hand, is supposed to be full of virtue, absent of hate, educated restrained and well spoken. When a leftist puts on a mask and goes on a tear, hurling insults and swinging fists and being at all vile and nonsensical it makes the news, for weeks. If that person gets physical with the wrong person it ends up being the single event that the right rallies around and passes back and forth in it's echo chambers until all of a sudden at the next protest some douchebag is running over a crowd killing people.

It's not fair. It's an uphill battle and it's not as easy, but we simply aren't allowed to exhibit the same behavior or use the same tactics as the other side because while them acting like them strengthens them, when we act like them it weakens us.

It's not loving fair, but it's the way it is.

To think otherwise will just continue to make the left lose even more ground than it already has.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

America is hosed right now because their democracy has been hijacked by the minority party and now they are trying to strip the remaining few social programs they have to give back to the millionaires that made it possible.

Trump got a majority with 48% of the popular vote. Trudeau got his with 39%. We've got the best fascists here, we really do. Outstanding fascists, the prettiest most charismatic fascists. We got the guy who can say with a straight face that hunger for electoral reform has really died down with him in power so why bother? A+ fascists I tell ya.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

On another note: Looks like Rick Mercer actually said a good thing

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It was 'an honour' to be pulled over by Const. John Davidson, says Abbotsford man of slain officer

They considered the title "put the cop genitals directly into my mouth" before they realized it would be too on the nose

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Trump got a majority with 48% of the popular vote. Trudeau got his with 39%. We've got the best fascists here, we really do. Outstanding fascists, the prettiest most charismatic fascists. We got the guy who can say with a straight face that hunger for electoral reform has really died down with him in power so why bother? A+ fascists I tell ya.

I appreciate your posts. Our system is just as bad, but for different reasons. The Presidential vote is bad, but could be easily alleviated by doing a run-off vote or simply making electoral college votes based on PR within states. It's the US House and Senate which are hosed, projects are showing that the Democrats need at least a 60% popular vote to get a simple majority in the House and giving each State exactly 2 seats in the Senate regardless of population blows my mind. However that's still not as stupid as the leader of the lower house picking individual Senators.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bububut by not being elected senators are supposed to be able to give all tabled bills under consideration a sober second thought!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

BattleMaster posted:

It was 'an honour' to be pulled over by Const. John Davidson, says Abbotsford man of slain officer

They considered the title "put the cop genitals directly into my mouth" before they realized it would be too on the nose

Ha Ha, someone died at work! Hilarious! ACAB am i right?

Was going to make some kind of point that I hope you wouldn't joke about a guy dying at work if he was a miner that died in a collapse or a rig worker that died in a fire, but you probably would do.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 9, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That cop sounds like a good guy but I'd be willing to bet my bank account that he at least once during his career turned a blind eye to another cop doing something terrible that severely hosed up the life of an innocent person.

I wish I lived in a place where that would be a stupid bet.

EDIT:

Also the 2 years was total time where my life was severely thrown out of sorts; a few weeks short of a year between arrest and trial, followed by another eight months between trial and arbitration between me and my union and my employer, and then a few months after that of trying to come to terms with what happened while trying to secure employment and get things back to normal.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 9, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

patonthebach posted:

Ha Ha, someone died at work! Hilarious! ACAB am i right?

Was going to make some kind of point that I hope you wouldn't joke about a guy dying at work if he was a miner that died in a collapse or a rig worker that died in a fire, but you probably would do.

I wasn't making a joke, it's weird as gently caress to decide that being pulled over by a cop is an honour just because he died later

edit: the situation described in the article is also the kind of situation that results in people being killed by cops for no reason so it sure as poo poo is no honour

edit 2: hell the article is just bizarre all around, like the only person they could find to say something nice about the guy was a guy who got pulled over and thought at first he was being harassed for his cultist costume but wasn't so clearly he's a stand up guy?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 9, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Politics is life or death for a lot of people, it's just that most people don't realize how governance and government affects people daily lives.

If you find politics exhausting or whatever then sure take a break from it but that doesn't somehow mean its unimportant.

littleorv posted:

I have intense irony poisoning

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BattleMaster posted:

I wasn't making a joke, it's weird as gently caress to decide that being pulled over by a cop is an honour just because he died later

edit: the situation described in the article is also the kind of situation that results in people being killed by cops for no reason so it sure as poo poo is no honour

Quit complaining about someone posting about their non-lovely interaction with someone who was later killed.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? This is literally Being a Human 101.