Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Korgan posted:

Posts like that are why the subreddit got banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

FogHelmut posted:

NFL commissioner being offered the same type of contract that the league uses to exploit the players

https://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-reportedly-furious-at-being-offered-non-1820289814

As terrible as Goodell is, let's not forget that the NFL owners are all pieces of poo poo too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:stonk:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ultrabindu posted:

Yeah, he was. The other cast members used to goof of a lot and he was trying to be the serious actor.
He mellowed out in the second year though. There were rumours that he was very harsh on Denise Crosby.

Yeah, the first year was basically a disconnect in expectations between what he was used to and how american television was run. Once he got used to things after the first season he was probably the biggest advocate of his co-stars and he starts showing up in the blooper reels along with everyone else.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the first year was basically a disconnect in expectations between what he was used to and how american television was run. Once he got used to things after the first season he was probably the biggest advocate of his co-stars and he starts showing up in the blooper reels along with everyone else.

The odd thing to me about that is Stewart was a stage actor primarily, so I don't know why cheap barebones sets would be an issue for him. And he'd also been in science fiction before by that point, so this hesitation he had to be in a sci-fi t.v. show seems weird.

My guess is that it was primarily about the culture clash between how productions in the two countries are run, just like you said. I know Cameron had a hell of a time with it when he shot Aliens at Pinewood Studios, all the behind the scenes guys were British and the culture shock between the two sides was pretty extreme and caused a bunch of problems(of course Cameron isn't known for being flexible himself).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I'm curious what kinds of things are different versus British and American tv making?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Jerry Cotton posted:

He got his in the end tho.

What's that from? Looks like Kevin O'Neill's artwork.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm curious what kinds of things are different versus British and American tv making?

Americans tend to be find with shooting for ridiculous hours and working people to death, whereas the unions in the UK have set it up so there's many more required breaks and they do poo poo like have tea breaks which pissed off Cameron to no end.

I have no idea what Stewart's specific issue was though, probably just him coming from a serious theatre background and then the actors he was working with on TNG were very amateurish by comparison. But the production value of the show shouldn't have been an issue for him because of that theatre experience. Who knows.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

If we are tossing out imagined skeletons...what about just being gay? The young wife would make a lovely beard. And it would explain the captain's chest revealing bed-wear.

And his die hard friendship with Ian MacKellen?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

minato posted:

It's art from one of the prose sections on the latter LXG volumes. Forget which one specifically (Black Dossier?). The prose section has a small burn on Fletcher Hanks by proxy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mobby_6kl posted:

This will probably surprise no one and break even fewer hearts the way some of the other news did, but guess who's being accused of sexual harassment now?

Steven Seagal, seen here fondling a pair of huge melons.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/09/steven-seagal-accused-of-harassment-by-portia-de-rossi

:getin:

...Does he intentionally make himself look like Gendo Ikari all the time?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Good luck enjoying any sort of media if "kind of an rear end in a top hat" is a deal breaker for you. Remember that these are people, by their nature, that enjoy the spotlight and have made a living out of getting attention from other people. Would it really be shocking to find out that the majority of them have engaged in rear end in a top hat behavior from time to time?

As another poster said, someone like Spacey or Weinstein has never even tried to stop committing crimes and probably would have continued doing so if not for what's happening now. By comparison Mark Walhberg has put a tremendous amount of the money he's made into atoning for what he did when he was 16(!). People should be able to ask for forgiveness, and get it, that should be allowed in our society. If the victim has forgiven him, and the perpetrator has taken serious steps to better themselves and use their resources to prevent similar crimes, I say that's to be celebrated.

Yeah, no.

Wahlberg stopped his bad behaviour and recognized (it appears) the error of his ways. I am not seeing that with Spacey or Weinstein.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no.

Wahlberg stopped his bad behaviour and recognized (it appears) the error of his ways. I am not seeing that with Spacey or Weinstein.

That's ... exactly what that poster said?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

That's ... exactly what that poster said?

Wrong. If you read it carefully, you'll notice that it is exactly what that poster said.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Dig into the history of the Star Trek movies and you get a less rosy picture. Stewart's the British version of a redneck, more or less - likes fast cars (he's how we got the infamous opening scene of Nemesis), wants to be an action star, loves guns, etc.

If you don't love Patrick Stewart fostering a dog, then I don't know what to tell you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up-pEjjw9xs

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Is there a phrase that means the opposite of "damned with faint praise"? That's what this Sir Patrick tangent sounds like.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

Honestly, I know we've had derails about this before (is death schadenfreude?), but this fits in perfectly with the theme and actual definition of schadenfreude mods, if this starts becoming a problem I'll delete it :

timg'd for racist shithead:

And the pièce de résistance

I know that we're not supposed to enjoy the murder of another person, but I can't really find any sympathy to drum up. Also, not linking it because it's hosed up to do to the family, but an online obituary has popped up that's public, and people have been going hard on the comments. Like, holy poo poo you know that it's his family that's reading those comments, you morons?

Obituary:

quote:

Michael Eric McCraney, age 35, of 171 Colonial Acres Road, Laurens, SC, went to be with his Heavenly Father on Sunday, November 5, 2017.

Born in Greenwood, he was a son of Robert K. and Barbara Prince McCraney, also of Colonial Acres Road. Michael attended Laurens District 55 High School, Trident Technical College in Charleston, and USC Spartanburg.

Pretty sure this dude didn't go see his Heavenly Father, except to be judged and cast out. Also, his parents lived on the same road? What are the chances that this technical college attending large adult failson was also living at home in his mom's basement?

JUST MAKING CHILI has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Nov 9, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lol at that goon giving Patrick Stewart grief about wanting to do action stuff and liking cars. What a Chad!

One of my favorite things about him is that his entire adult life he thought he was circumcised until his wife and Doctor told him he wasn't.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Lol at that goon giving Patrick Stewart grief about wanting to do action stuff and liking cars. What a Chad!

One of my favorite things about him is that his entire adult life he thought he was circumcised until his wife and Doctor told him he wasn't.

I wonder what he thought an uncircumcised penis looked like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

Perhaps the strongest evidence that he’s not secretly banging dudes everywhere.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A bunch of people tore him apart, and multiple people reported him to local police.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sarcopenia posted:

Cars and action are fine but why bring it to something like TNG? Those movies became worse because they tried to become action stars. With JJTrek the action was fine because that's how the movies were always designed to be. With Patrick Stewart and the other lumpy actors it was painfully shoehorned in.

My favorite Patrick Stewart thing is that he was initially embarrassed about coming to America to do some lovely scifi show. But a year later all his British theater friends were begging him to get them a job on TV.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah if that's true then he's deffo not gay.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Stewart's mother was also physically abused by her husband. So now Patrick supports many woman abuse prevention charities.

Truly the worlds greatest monster.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

What if the revelation made him so curious he decided he had to go out and get a firsthand look?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the downvote and the upvote.

But seriously, gently caress traditional gender roles *belches loudly*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

minato posted:

Black Dossier

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mu Zeta posted:

Cars and action are fine but why bring it to something like TNG? Those movies became worse because they tried to become action stars. With JJTrek the action was fine because that's how the movies were always designed to be. With Patrick Stewart and the other lumpy actors it was painfully shoehorned in.

The actors' contracts ended after Insurrection, so the producers basically had to bribe them to get them to come back. Additionally, the director famously refused to watch a single episode of TNG, so he had no idea who the characters were or how they were supposed to act.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A bunch of people tore him apart, and multiple people reported him to local police.

Oh yeah, I got that screen cap from the Guardian article about the closing of r/incels. So it's out there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Korgan posted:

Posts like that are why the subreddit got banned

Did he just call himself ugly?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Besesoth posted:

The actors' contracts ended after Insurrection, so the producers basically had to bribe them to get them to come back. Additionally, the director famously refused to watch a single episode of TNG, so he had no idea who the characters were or how they were supposed to act.

no, but you see, patrick stewart likes cars, so

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, I got that screen cap from the Guardian article about the closing of r/incels. So it's out there.

Link the article?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Link the article?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/08/reddit-incel-involuntary-celibate-men-ban

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Besesoth posted:

Frakes tries to be an action guy in Insurrection and he was terrible in that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did he just call himself ugly?

For all the incels who can’t believe they aren’t getting laid because they think it’s all about looks and penis size, there’s also a lot who think their failure is 100% due to not having “Chad looks” and not because they’re reprehensible assholes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sarcopenia posted:

Great story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

For all the incels who can’t believe they aren’t getting laid because they think it’s all about looks and penis size, there’s also a lot who think their failure is 100% due to not having “Chad looks” and not because they’re reprehensible assholes.

There's gotta be an issue with isolation and not getting out of the house much too. Because if you just go out and like hit the grocery store or a Target or a Walmart, you'll see plenty of non-Chads walking around with women. So this idea that even the average looking women refuse to date or have sex with a non-Chad(I loving hate that I'm even using that term) is easily proven false by just going about normal daily activity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They use weird 1920's eugenic terms like "canthal tilt" and skull measurements because they believe that attractiveness is an engineering problem.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

They use weird 1920's eugenic terms like "canthal tilt" and skull measurements because they believe that attractiveness is an engineering problem.

well, let's be fair. Canthal tilt, etc. aren't just eugenic terms. They're useful for plastic surgery and artists! Using them to determine anything but how someone looks? That's the eugenics bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I'm cracking up over the phrase "watchdog subreddit"

Basebf555 posted:

There's gotta be an issue with isolation and not getting out of the house much too. Because if you just go out and like hit the grocery store or a Target or a Walmart, you'll see plenty of non-Chads walking around with women. So this idea that even the average looking women refuse to date or have sex with a non-Chad(I loving hate that I'm even using that term) is easily proven false by just going about normal daily activity.

You sweet summer child, you haven't visited the ol' hellthread. Incels believe that sex is an economic commodity that women have 100% monopolistic control over (because of feminism), and that "normies" (the below-average to average people with girlfriends at walmart) are inherently cucked, and therefore are being stolen from, because their women have hosed other people in the past, and are definitely loving Chad on the side right now. They don't want the woman at walmart who will settle for a regular person. They want a pristine teenage virgin who will give 100% of her available sex to her first boyfriend who she also marries first.