Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if only i could somehow use that heat to make food, they i would truly be a buttcoiner of the land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've got a 1070, and heat that pays me sounds legit when I'm not gaming. My only concern is safety, I get that my wallet can get hacked and Ill lose my butts. But how insecure is nicehash for the rest of my pc?

My level of paranoia currently is I use a vpn, that's it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I've got a 1070, and heat that pays me sounds legit when I'm not gaming. My only concern is safety, I get that my wallet can get hacked and Ill lose my butts. But how insecure is nicehash for the rest of my pc?

There is no evidence of it, thats the best we'll get. Its definitely not in their interest to poo poo the bed since Nicehash is a literal money printing machine and source code is provided. We've been over this before in this thread where that only matters if someone checks it, bottom line there is no guarantee.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It says “Nice” right there in the name, idiots, there’s no viruses

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It says “Nice” right there in the name, idiots, there’s no viruses

Well poo poo, I'm sold!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Well poo poo, I'm sold!

Just remember to disable your anti-virus or it will call it a mining trojan. It is a crazy wacky mix up!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Well, its right, it certainly is a miner and im glad windows picks up on that but it is annoying You can use the legacy miner if you dont want to whitelist nicehash.exe

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

You can always just cash out your bitcoins immediately after your nicehash payout

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I think he means is nicehash a portal to steal your /butt_bmps_2004bonerjam/ files or whatever hackers do

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you do like a sane person and cash out everytime there arent any bitcoins to steal

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I mean in a serious note there are programs that will change the location that the bitcoins are sent too. Since cpu mining is long dead and gpu mining still fringe it is unlikely, but yeah you can get hit and all your mining addresses will change to the hackers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Axe-man posted:

I mean in a serious note there are programs that will change the location that the bitcoins are sent too. Since cpu mining is long dead and gpu mining still fringe it is unlikely, but yeah you can get hit and all your mining addresses will change to the hackers.

then you miss out on a whole $50 of mining maybe before you catch it. No big deal

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
If I'm just getting into this whole thing, and literally just got a Coinbase and installed NiceHash miner, am I hopelessly way late to the party after reading the OP - like, can I feel free to ask questions now, or should I go back and read through this whole thread? I feel like crypto moves so fast, it's hard to tell what's still relevant information.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, the only relevant info is current. go like 4 pages back to catch up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah this poo poo changes so fast my OP is pretty much useless at this point

I'll get around to rewriting it next time btc jumps 40% and a bunch of new blood shows up ready to make sacrifices to the altars of Huang, Su, and Armok

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

AwkwardKnob posted:

If I'm just getting into this whole thing, and literally just got a Coinbase and installed NiceHash miner, am I hopelessly way late to the party after reading the OP - like, can I feel free to ask questions now, or should I go back and read through this whole thread? I feel like crypto moves so fast, it's hard to tell what's still relevant information.

Youre pretty much done, just need a way to pay out through coinbase.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Is the GTX 770 4GB worth using for mining at all? I have one that might be coming my way for very cheap.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless your electricity is free, no.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is the GTX 770 4GB worth using for mining at all? I have one that might be coming my way for very cheap.

I remember my 770 2GB was making like 19 cents back in July. Not worth it at all.

My 1070 was pulling 2.60 earlier today, so that's rad.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Due to a bug, 1 million ETH (roughly $280 million) have become frozen in wallets, making it impossible to transfer Ethereum funds out of them.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/with-deletion-of-one-wallet-280-m-in-ethereum-wallets-gets-frozen/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Don't worry I'm sure the Ethereum founders will just roll it back. Again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the currency of the fuuuutuuuuuuure

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There is no such thing as the cloud, only other people's computers. And in this case the computer belongs to some Russian guy whose last name sounds like some kind of drug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey guys anyone want to return to the conversation about how your wallet is definitely secure because it's open source?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbqmg/parity-multi-signature-wallet-vulnerability-300-million-hard-fork

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

Hey guys anyone want to return to the conversation about how your wallet is definitely secure because it's open source?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbqmg/parity-multi-signature-wallet-vulnerability-300-million-hard-fork

Just fork it again, duh

Free money x 2!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Well it was about Nicehash not a wallet. I dont think anything was confused about wallet "security" lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coincidentally, Nicehash is also a wallet

The point is that people were making the argument that open source software is bug-free and definitely not malicious, because other people will have definitely found anything suspicious already

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Coincidentally, Nicehash is also a wallet

The point is that people were making the argument that open source software is bug-free and definitely not malicious, because other people will have definitely found anything suspicious already

It was me making that argument, unsuccessfully, nobody else really. I've since been converted, nor do I have any faith in buttcoin security (as is reflected in my payout logs since day 1 lol)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nothing about bitcoin has been safe since day one, why start now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

this story also demonstrates why immutable smart contracts are generally a bad idea

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So looks like the Segwit2x fork has been cancelled.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AwkwardKnob posted:

Do you live in an alternate universe where the power company pays you

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Buttcoin and security don’t belong in the same page

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Themage posted:

I've been a casual holder of Bitcoin since about 2014. Not a lot of money, but never had a wallet hacked. I've used electrum for PC (Windows and Linux) and various Android wallets. Would you care to elaborate how easy it is to get your wallet hacked?

I once had my PayPal hacked a couple of years ago, via eBay keeping the PayPal account unlocked after I'd bought something. I got the money back after assuring eBay/PayPal that I never bought those $150 shoes and that I'd never heard of the address they'd been delivered to.

Never lost a single Satoshi when it comes to Bitcoin, though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So my new Ryzen 1700 @ stock speeds mines butts via Nicehash at about the same rate as my 970 did. Maybe I should have gotten a Threadripper after all :derp:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

So looks like the Segwit2x fork has been cancelled.

Here's the Ars writeup:

Bitcoin compromise collapses, leaving future growth in doubt

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Themage posted:

Yea only idiots get hacked when it comes to buttcoins.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stealthgerbil posted:

Yea only idiots get hacked when it comes to buttcoins.

This is actually true*

*for different values of idiots

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I keep my wallet in a USB key in my literal butt. So if they’re gonna get it they gotta literally hack my butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hackers are on the look out to do poo poo to steal bitcoins and other poo poo there is a reason why they estimate that every bitcoin in circulation has been stolen at least once.

• Locked thread