Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd be surprised if it was Magic because that was pretty good about the dummy not being actually possessed but just a manifestation of the ventriloquist's problems. I've not got any leads though. An episode of the Goosebumps tv show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Something I think I saw on UK TV as a kid early nineties, but have never seen since so I may have imagined it: a guy ticks a young woman into his van then uses chloroform on her, possibly in daylight on a remote road. When she comes to she has been buried alive?

That’s all I’ve got.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

That happened in the Dutch novel Het Gouden Ei, published as The Vanishing in English.
The Dutch movie based on the book was called Spoorloos, but also The Vanishing in English.
There was an American remake with Jeff Bridges.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
Old horror movie, it has the clip where a man is waiting in a room and then a doll bursts out of a door and runs at him, which is posted as a gif sometimes. Italian I think.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Dario Argento's Profundo Russo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vWcjeB1S8

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BioTech posted:

That happened in the Dutch novel Het Gouden Ei, published as The Vanishing in English.
The Dutch movie based on the book was called Spoorloos, but also The Vanishing in English.
There was an American remake with Jeff Bridges.

Yeah that seems to be it! Thanks :)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'd be surprised if it was Magic because that was pretty good about the dummy not being actually possessed but just a manifestation of the ventriloquist's problems. I've not got any leads though. An episode of the Goosebumps tv show?

I think the timing is off. I definitely did not live in that house in the time period where Goosebumps was a TV show.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
I vaguely remember a scene from a thriller/mystery/suspense movie from the 80s where the beginning of the film starts with the robbery of a jewelry store. The owner is an older man who gets some kind of cloth bag put over his head and the villain stabs the man in the face repeatedly. I think the film ended with a fight in a construction area.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

safe harbor posted:

The owner is an older man who gets some kind of cloth bag put over his head and the villain stabs the man in the face repeatedly.

This is gonna bug me because I know I've seen this image, but cannot place it for the life of me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

In A Short Film About Killing someone get bludgeoned to death while their head's in a bag, iirc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is a montage sequence. A bunch of corrupt cops and possibly politicians are being rounded up by the FBI. One guy is being chased through an alley; a cop car pulls across to block his exit and he hurdles the bonnet before being grabbed by other cops. Another is arrested in an underground car park.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jedit posted:

This is a montage sequence. A bunch of corrupt cops and possibly politicians are being rounded up by the FBI. One guy is being chased through an alley; a cop car pulls across to block his exit and he hurdles the bonnet before being grabbed by other cops. Another is arrested in an underground car park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Uy0Uznw4E

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yes, that's why I want to know what the original movie was. I'm sure I've seen it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Yes, that's why I want to know what the original movie was. I'm sure I've seen it.
Season one of Daredevil.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Season one of Daredevil.

Brilliant, thanks.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
Was looking for a bizarre anime movie I saw as a kid. I thought the movie name was "Wataru" or "Bataru", but it turned out to be the name of the protagonist.

I finally found it myself! It is "Shounen Kenya"/"Kenya Boy (1984)". And the movie poster looks just as awesome as I remember it:

Very fun rewatching (or watching it anew if you like anime).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ofv3psMVg&t=1383s

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

This popped up on HBO sometime between 1987 and `92. I hit up google to see what came up, but none of the flicks that came up seemed to be it, unless I was just completely hallucinating. Also, I only watched whatever this was for like twenty seconds, long enough to remember this shot.

It's clearly some sort of horror movie, unless I miss my guess completely, involving an evil ventriloquist's dummy, but in this shot, the dummy has been hog-tied, gagged, and hung from a noose in a closet. I believe it was going "mmmmmf!" with the gag in its mouth. Horror isn't generally my genre, so if this is some sort of all-time classic that I haven't seen, I can only shrug apologetically.

Making Contact. Here's the shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep5YoAEo4gQ&t=2890s

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a movie trailer years ago of some movie that I'm pretty sure was poorly received and it was a british movie and in the trailer a bunch of country kids are murdering a scarecrow as someone drives by

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Sounds like a League of Gentlemen gag, who did make a film that was poorly received. Not the 60s heist film of the same name.

Dire Straights
Aug 7, 2010
What's the Hungarian (?) arthouse movie where nothing happens and there's also a swimming pool involved? It's just shots of people chilling and swimming basically but there might be other stuff that happens.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I'm trying to find a youtube clip I saw, but now I can't find it. Boy, like 10, is dancing with a girl like 5. Another girl (also like 5) comes over and pushes the first girl away. The boy puts his hands on his hips and wags is finger at the girl, like "now that's not very nice", Girl 2 starts BAWLING and walks away. Boy goes back to dancing, now alone, but man does he love dancing.

please help.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ladron posted:

I'm trying to find a youtube clip I saw, but now I can't find it. Boy, like 10, is dancing with a girl like 5. Another girl (also like 5) comes over and pushes the first girl away. The boy puts his hands on his hips and wags is finger at the girl, like "now that's not very nice", Girl 2 starts BAWLING and walks away. Boy goes back to dancing, now alone, but man does he love dancing.

please help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvh8JvqU8o8

Can't remember the name of a documentary I saw probably 10 years ago. It's where a guy films himself in his apartment with security-style cameras for a year or more. It's not We Live In Public or In the Bathtub of the World. I remember it being very shadowy, kind of a green tint.

Edit: Ignore me, I'm a moron, it totally was in fact We Live In Public.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 13, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

awesome, thanks

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Speaking of YouTube. Does anyone know where I can find that video of a large woman in tight red pants bending over her bed and ripping a huge fart? It was on awfulvision way back in the day but now it’s gone and I’ve been searching for it forever.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Raspberry Bang posted:

Speaking of YouTube. Does anyone know where I can find that video of a large woman in tight red pants bending over her bed and ripping a huge fart? It was on awfulvision way back in the day but now it’s gone and I’ve been searching for it forever.

this thread has taken a turn

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Raspberry Bang posted:

It seems like you might want to also try asking in this thread over here.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
My dad showed me a movie maybe a decade ago, whose name escapes me. It was a black&white film, likely made in the 30s or 40s, about an airplane crew that is stranded in a cold, snowy area.

It had some overlap with Flight of the Phoenix, in that they were finding ways to get drinkable water, and there were conflicts between the crew. But unlike Flight of the Phoenix, they get rescued at the end thanks to an emergency transmitter. I remember in detail how they explained the transmitter: it had a hand-cranked generator ("coffee-grinder", they called it), and it came with a balloon and a kite to hold the antenna aloft.

One of the search pilots, who spends most of the movie flying another plane looking for them, was (according to my dad) a pretty well-known actor, but I didn't recognize him. This character is introduced at a public pool with his kids, and then gets a phonecall that he's needed.

I remember a lot about the movie, but nothing substantive enough to search for.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Capn Jobe posted:

My dad showed me a movie maybe a decade ago, whose name escapes me. It was a black&white film, likely made in the 30s or 40s, about an airplane crew that is stranded in a cold, snowy area.

It had some overlap with Flight of the Phoenix, in that they were finding ways to get drinkable water, and there were conflicts between the crew. But unlike Flight of the Phoenix, they get rescued at the end thanks to an emergency transmitter. I remember in detail how they explained the transmitter: it had a hand-cranked generator ("coffee-grinder", they called it), and it came with a balloon and a kite to hold the antenna aloft.

One of the search pilots, who spends most of the movie flying another plane looking for them, was (according to my dad) a pretty well-known actor, but I didn't recognize him. This character is introduced at a public pool with his kids, and then gets a phonecall that he's needed.

I remember a lot about the movie, but nothing substantive enough to search for.

Sounds a lot like Island in the Sky starring John Wayne.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Price Check posted:

Sounds a lot like Island in the Sky starring John Wayne.

I'm pretty sure that's it, thanks! The Wikipedia Page actually mentions the transmitter I remembered, to boot. Now I know why my dad wanted me to watch it: it was filmed at Donner Lake, which is where we were staying at the time. Crazy.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I saw an action movie in the 90's on TV, I'd guess it's from the late 80's, about a bunch of terrorists taking control of a large corporate building, including taking hostages in a ballroom with bombs or bomb collars (not sure which) linked to the terrorists' heartbeat sensor wristwatches. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Note: It is absolutely not Die Hard, the deadman trigger wristwatches are a part I'm pretty solid on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skyscraper posted:

I saw an action movie in the 90's on TV, I'd guess it's from the late 80's, about a bunch of terrorists taking control of a large corporate building, including taking hostages in a ballroom with bombs or bomb collars (not sure which) linked to the terrorists' heartbeat sensor wristwatches. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Note: It is absolutely not Die Hard, the deadman trigger wristwatches are a part I'm pretty solid on.

I think you're remembering chunks of Spawn

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Retro Futurist posted:

I think you're remembering chunks of Spawn

It's not spawn, it's a much more straightforward action movie than that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You might try this then

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Retro Futurist posted:

You might try this then

Already have! But this is some random 80's/90's trash, and I guess did not warrant a mention on tvtropes.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A martial arts movie that was probably a vanity project. I think it was a student of American Kenpo trying to show off how badass he thinks the style is. I remember being lent a well used VHS copy by my instructor when I started Kenpo in 2003 or so. I remember it being very standard White Guy Karate Movie in terms of story. The one thing I remember that might help anyone locate this was a bit of philosophy the film tried to teach.

The film explained the concept of 'crouching tiger, hidden dragon' (and this film looked like it was made before that movie). I remember it very vaguely, but it had something to do with making sure your defense is also a form of offense or something like that. The idea is that when you attacked you also blocked and that block was done in such a way as to be turned into a strike if you see an opportunity. I have no idea how it tied into the rest of the movie though, and i think it was just a bit of the martial art's philosophy that got put into the movie.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

TTBF posted:

A martial arts movie that was probably a vanity project. I think it was a student of American Kenpo trying to show off how badass he thinks the style is. I remember being lent a well used VHS copy by my instructor when I started Kenpo in 2003 or so. I remember it being very standard White Guy Karate Movie in terms of story. The one thing I remember that might help anyone locate this was a bit of philosophy the film tried to teach.

The film explained the concept of 'crouching tiger, hidden dragon' (and this film looked like it was made before that movie). I remember it very vaguely, but it had something to do with making sure your defense is also a form of offense or something like that. The idea is that when you attacked you also blocked and that block was done in such a way as to be turned into a strike if you see an opportunity. I have no idea how it tied into the rest of the movie though, and i think it was just a bit of the martial art's philosophy that got put into the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baseSXVMts4 ?

If it's not that, maybe an Albert Pyun movie or one of the No Retreat, No Surrender sequels?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That is exactly it. Thank you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sounds like a League of Gentlemen gag, who did make a film that was poorly received. Not the 60s heist film of the same name.

It's definitely not that. I think it was more travelers happen on weirdo clan in rural english countryside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
There's part of a movie I remember catching on TV when I was a kid that always stuck with me.

It's a black guy and a white guy working somewhere, painting walls or putting up drywall or something. Their boss shows up and is being condescending, showing them how to fill in "divets"(?) and one guy says "suck my dick" and the boss is like "what did you say?" and the other guy covers by saying "He said, show us those divets" or something like that.

Anyone know what that's from?