Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

North, with our spear we've naught to fear, we should be seeking our stolen gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
maybe they're storing our gear in the blacksmithy, since that's where the swords are

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Smithy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Leraika posted:

maybe they're storing our gear in the blacksmithy, since that's where the swords are

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Blacksmith

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You make a compelling case.

Shadow on the Sand posted:

A forge has been constructed in the centre of a massive circular chamber, its funnel-like chimney stretching up to the roof. The heat had become unbearable long ago, but now you feel as if you have walked straight into a raging furnace.

Two men, naked except for small loin-cloths, work the bellows that feed the forge. Sweat pours from their bodies, and they frequently stop to gulp ladlefuls of water from a trough set in the stone floor. An armourer hammers a strip of red-hot iron at an anvil close to the flames. He is massive; his huge, muscled shoulders and powerful chest are as wide as the other two men put together.

The bellows men stop work and leave the chamber; one by the door in the north wall, the other by the door in the west wall. The big man continues to hammer at the anvil.
Do we want to follow the first man north, follow the second man west, attack the armourer, or turn around and go back the way we came?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Go West

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Attack the huge super-buff man. What could go wrong?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

go west, young monk

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
As the song says, Go West!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Attack the huge super-buff man. What could go wrong?
Well, we're certainly in a better state than when we woke up in gaol, so it could be worse.

You have barely taken a dozen steps before you are seen. The giant armourer raises a massive hammer and strides forward, a bloodthirsty snarl escaping from between his clenched teeth. You prepare to defend yourself, but you are momentarily stunned when you see that the hammer is part of his right arm: it is, in fact, an enormous steel fist.

The armourer bellows a war-cry and you react just in time. The hammer tears a chunk of stone from the wall, less than an inch above your scalp.

Hammerfist the Armourer: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 30

Deduct 2 points from your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this combat due to the terrible heat of the forge room.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 26
Hammerfist the Armourer: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: 1

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 22
Hammerfist the Armourer: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 25

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 22
Hammerfist the Armourer: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 11

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 17
Hammerfist the Armourer: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 15
Hammerfist the Armourer: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 0

You are feeling weakened by the heat and by the fatigue of combat, but your spirits are high after having beaten such a formidable enemy. You search the armourer’s body and discover 3 Gold Crowns and a Copper Key. If you wish to keep the key, put it in your pocket and mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item.

Healing: +1 EP (16/26).
We'll take the key and money (unless there are any objections) and then leave the room. We still have the same options as before, west or north. Tracking would be helpful again, but we still don't have it, so it's still a blind choice.

I wonder where he was keeping the key and coins...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I didn't know fighting him was free and he had loot. :D

The courage of Man has not failed today. Now head West.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

West. Starting to worry our somerswerd might be gone for good. :ohdear:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Go west young man, etc

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You hurry through the west door and into the welcoming cool of the corridor beyond. A large drawbar on the inside of the door catches your eye; you lock it to delay any would-be pursuers.

At the end of the corridor lies a hall full of weapons. Racks of spears and swords line the chamber walls, and a massive workbench covers the floor. It is the palace armoury. In the midst of the tools which litter the workbench, there is a large, black, leather-bound book.

Healing: +1 EP (17/26).
Shall we take a look at this book, or ignore it and just search for our equipment?

As you may recall, one of the guards mentioned that our stuff had been stored in the armoury, and that's why we're specifically given the option to search for it here. Despite the illustration there are no shields here though (well, maybe one if you count the one they took from us). Presumably we could take a sword or spear if we wanted one though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can we do both?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maybe. Maybe we'll be interrupted and have to leave in a hurry. Who knows? For now we've got to pick one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Look for our stuff first. We must recover the Sommerswerd at least.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Look for equipment. Although if the next section says we need the Armory’s catalog to find it and that’s the book I’m going to :argh:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Right now, let's just get our stolen property back. If we lose the Sommerswerd we're never going to live that down.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

and yall LAUGHED at me when i wanted to get weaponskill! It came in handy! For one fight :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Search for our stuff.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
First thing first, search for the equipment!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You root through all the drawers and cupboards of the workbench, smashing locks when they refuse to open, only to be disappointed. These drawers and cupboards do not contain your missing equipment.

All hope of signing a peace treaty with the new Zakhan has vanished; your only concern now is to find your equipment, escape from the Grand Palace, and somehow return home to Sommerlund as quickly as possible. You pull aside a latticed partition and enter a small antechamber. Narrow stones steps lead up to an open door in the north wall, beside which stands a wooden chest.

Healing: +1 EP (18/26).
Shall we try the door or the chest?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Open the chest. I have a feeling our equipment is in there and we won't be able to come back for it if we try the door first.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Loot that chest.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Chest.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
stay here until we get our poo poo back. kill anyone that comes. if the door leads somewhere else, turn right back around. get our poo poo.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Loot that chest.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Obvious Mimic Chest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The chest is plain except for a small square of red metal bolted to the top. There is no lock, but, instinctively, you avoid opening the lid with your hands in case it is booby-trapped. Nearby, you notice a wooden bucket and a ladle. Using the ladle, you lever open the chest and push back the lid. The chest itself is not booby-trapped, but your caution was well placed; coiled on a bed of jewel-encrusted maces lies a Yas, a non-poisonous but very large Vassagonian snake. A red forked tongue flicks out of its yellow head as it prepares to defend its valuable bed.

Healing: +1 EP (19/26).
Well, that's not our stuff. And we've searched this place pretty thoroughly now, so we could just leave by the north door, or we could fight this snake for its maces. They are pretty. Which'll it be?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let our Weaponskill be useful again. Stab Snake with Spear!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Non-poisonous? Sure, fight.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kill the snake preventing us from scoring sweet loot.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Bash the yas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Yas is a constrictor: it kills its prey by crushing them to death with the coils of its powerful body. Its sleepy eyes have now opened and the red-rimmed slit pupils fix you with a mesmerizing stare. You suddenly realize that the Yas is trying to hypnotize you. Unless you have the Kai Discipline of Mindshield, deduct 3 points from your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this combat.

Yas: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 28

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 19
Yas: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 28
Combat Ratio: 7

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 19
Yas: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 10

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE 17
Yas: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

The great snake shudders and convulses in the throes of death. The smell of its thick brown blood is disgusting, and you have to hold your breath and grit your teeth as you lift the dead Yas away from the chest and peer inside.

You discover six silver-handled maces, each beautifully carved and encrusted with rubies, emeralds, and pearls. In the Northlands these weapons would fetch thousands of Crowns. At the bottom of the chest, you also discover a small Copper Key. If you wish to take either a Jewelled Mace or the Copper Key, or both, mark them on your Action Chart as Special Items. You carry the Copper Key in the pocket of your tunic and the Jewelled Mace tucked into your belt.

The acidic smell of the snake blood is beginning to make you retch. Quickly, you climb the stone steps and leave the armoury by the north door.

Healing: +1 EP (18/26).

You step into a perfect hemisphere. The walls of the chamber curve smoothly into the ceiling, where a small window casts a splash of light across the floor. There is a large circular dais in the centre of the room laden with incense burners, decanters, quilts, scrolls, cloaks, urns, and all kinds of fruit and sweetmeats. A drawer catches your eye, protruding from beneath the lip of the dais; you recognize the contents. You have found your confiscated equipment. Restore to your Action Chart all the Backpack Items, Special Items, Weapons, and Gold Crowns you lost when you were imprisoned.

Elated by your discovery, you resolve to escape from the Grand Palace as quickly as possible. There is only one other door, apart from the one by which you entered the chamber, which is set into the north wall.

Healing: +1 EP (25/32).
OK, first up, weapons. We've got a spear and a warhammer, we've just recovered the Sommerswerd, and there's a jewelled mace available if we want it as well - it is a weapon and not just decorative so we're counting it as one. We can keep only two of them, unless we want to throw out some of the contents of our newly-recovered backpack; the mace and the warhammer would take up one space each. Our backpack currently contains four healing potions and four skill potions.

Assuming that we take this one, we now have two identical copper keys. There's probably no value in having both, but an extra key isn't going to take up any noticeable space. We've also now got a total of 35 Gold Crowns and our Combat Skill is 29 (23 if we use the spear instead of the Sommerswerd, 21 if we use anything else).

That being taken care of, shall we keep moving and go through the north door, or pause to search this room in case there's anything else of value here?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take a Mace as backup weapon to Sommerswerd, search the room further for loot.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

grab the bling mace and the swerd, search

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Keep the Sommerswerd and a jeweled mace, and search the room for further valuables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Snorb posted:

Keep the Sommerswerd and a jeweled mace, and search the room for further valuables.