Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
nice

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Routine traffic stop after Trump gets re-elected?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm reminded of that bit in snow crash where the japanese rapper has on-staff lighting technicians for his hairdo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

A few places I was at in rural Romania, the bathrooms were free, but the toilet paper... that'll cost ya

invest me :wink:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
cant wait for some silicon valley dude to invent the chamberpot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I think that’s Sushi-K

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Every time I see this thing I go 'wow that's never real its far too Macross Aesthetic' but NOPE, and from 1984 no less.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Now that we have composites that make them reliable and usable, why don't we see more forward-swept wings? IIRC they have extremely good high-alpha performance and so should be ideal for fighters?

e: oh wait I thought this was the airplane thread. Lol nm I don't expect anyone here to answer that

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 9, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because you touch yourself at night

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Every time I see this thing I go 'wow that's never real its far too Macross Aesthetic' but NOPE, and from 1984 no less.

what is this thing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

what is this thing

An X-29?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamn look at that analogue-as-gently caress cockpit, zoom in on the detail :cool:

PULL TO LOCK
PUSH TO JETT

edit: also lol at this being a mono-engined jet and them just reusing a twin-jet control panel and putting a plate over one side

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 9, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NoneMoreNegative posted:

goddamn look at that analogue-as-gently caress cockpit, zoom in on the detail :cool:

PULL TO LOCK
PUSH TO JETT

Im the SPIN CHUTE

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

NoneMoreNegative posted:

PULL TO LOCK
PUSH TO JETT

back in the days when being a pilot took real skill

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Now that we have composites that make them reliable and usable, why don't we see more forward-swept wings? IIRC they have extremely good high-alpha performance and so should be ideal for fighters?

e: oh wait I thought this was the airplane thread. Lol nm I don't expect anyone here to answer that

thrust vectoring and missiles basically make the advantages irrelevant

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

edit: also lol at this being a mono-engined jet and them just reusing a twin-jet control panel and putting a plate over one side

it was a one-off experimental plane so they must have put most of their resources into the mission-critical parts and then thrown together the rest with whatever was lying around the workshop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

reported for posting irl anime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack posted:

thrust vectoring and missiles basically make the advantages irrelevant

you mean modern air combat is not accurately represented by the dogfight in top gun?

also, the russian version (su-47) had thrust vectoring too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

back in the days when being a pilot took real skill

here is the cockpit of an f-8 crusader, the last american fighter jet to use guns as the primary weapon

(modern jets still have the gun of course but it's used primarily to fire warning shots or strafe ground targets)

here is the cockpit of the f-35 lightning II, the newest american fighter jet

touchscreens! :pcgaming:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

you mean modern air combat is not accurately represented by the dogfight in top gun?

also, the russian version (su-47) had thrust vectoring too

came out a decade after the 29 and none of sukhoi's later production models kept the forward sweep

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

wheres the button that suffocates the pilot?

trick question: its all of them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

wheres the button that suffocates the pilot?

trick question: its all of them

"engine start"

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Swipe right on barrel roll

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Sagebrush posted:

here is the cockpit of an f-8 crusader, the last american fighter jet to use guns as the primary weapon

(modern jets still have the gun of course but it's used primarily to fire warning shots or strafe ground targets)

I'm no aeronautical engineer but touchscreens seem like a bad design choice in a vehicle moving at 300-400 MPH out of combat.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

omg try moving a tiny touchscreen slider in heavy turbulence

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'm no aeronautical engineer but touchscreens seem like a bad design choice in a vehicle moving at 300-400 MPH out of combat.

also, who thought the loving background gradients were a good idea

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

at the date posted:

also, who thought the loving background gradients were a good idea

Those aren't just compression artifacts or something?

:aaa:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

everything is actually controlled from the throttle and stick - that’s the entire point of HOTAS and why they have a zillion buttons, hat sticks, etc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SwitchbladeKult posted:

build in siri/alexa integration

boom, problem solved

actually the f35 is supposed to have this high-tech multibillion dollar vr helmet that the pilot wears so the screens and whatnot are just emergency backups. ill let you guess as to whether or not the vr helmet is currently working, or whether it actually lags 1-10 seconds behind reality and leads to the pilots vomiting all over the place

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

build in siri/alexa integration

boom, problem solved

"EAGLE ONE, FOX TWO!"

*left MFD suddenly displays sean hannity*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

"EAGLE ONE, FOX TWO!"

*left MFD suddenly displays sean hannity*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-uzsw0kqw

(more like cyberpunk 1982)

(firefox owned)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

unfortunately the f-35 requires the pilot to think in spanglish

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

everything is actually controlled from the throttle and stick - that’s the entire point of HOTAS and why they have a zillion buttons, hat sticks, etc.

this. there are red covers on the controls in that picture either for safety or security, but this is what's underneath

the ergonomic throttle grip has so many buttons and switches sticking out of it that they call it the "cow pie"

the touchscreens are supposedly mostly used for checking fuel levels, programming in waypoints, stuff like that so it's not the worst design but it is still pretty loving stupid imo.

anyway, the question of "what do they do in high-g air combat?" is "nothing, because the whole point of the f-35 is to be cruising in a straight line at 40,000 feet and shoot a missile at the guy from 80 miles away"

FMguru posted:

actually the f35 is supposed to have this high-tech multibillion dollar vr helmet that the pilot wears so the screens and whatnot are just emergency backups. ill let you guess as to whether or not the vr helmet is currently working, or whether it actually lags 1-10 seconds behind reality and leads to the pilots vomiting all over the place

the helmet apparently also weighs like 30 pounds and risks breaking the pilot's neck during an ejection

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

this. there are red covers on the controls in that picture either for safety or security, but this is what's underneath

the ergonomic throttle grip has so many buttons and switches sticking out of it that they call it the "cow pie"

the touchscreens are supposedly mostly used for checking fuel levels, programming in waypoints, stuff like that so it's not the worst design but it is still pretty loving stupid imo.

anyway, the question of "what do they do in high-g air combat?" is "nothing, because the whole point of the f-35 is to be cruising in a straight line at 40,000 feet and shoot a missile at the guy from 80 miles away"

the helmet apparently also weighs like 30 pounds and risks breaking the pilot's neck during an ejection

If the F-35 is literally just a missile bus why not just do it from a pod installed in the bomb bay of a B-52 or an AWACS or something? You could have better electronics and a whole lot more missiles that way?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why, indeed? welcome to the military-industrial complex

there's a reason the us military currently does like 99% of its killing with drones. fighter jets are cool but their most important function right now is deafening people at football games

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

If the F-35 is literally just a missile bus why not just do it from a pod installed in the bomb bay of a B-52 or an AWACS or something? You could have better electronics and a whole lot more missiles that way?

latency?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

not as stealthy, not as fast, not as numerous

the f-35 is actually designed as a “strike fighter” to take over the role that the f-16 is actually used in (baby f-15e basically). that requires going fast and avoiding air defenses. the f-22 is supposed to be the giant anti air missile truck but nowhere near enough were purchased

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also the soviets stopped being a threat and that really put a damper on things

on the other hand who uses fighter aircraft in a nuclear war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

not as stealthy, not as fast, not as numerous

the f-35 is actually designed as a “strike fighter” to take over the role that the f-16 is actually used in (baby f-15e basically). that requires going fast and avoiding air defenses. the f-22 is supposed to be the giant anti air missile truck but nowhere near enough were purchased
iirc, the original plan from the late 1990s was the f-22 was the gold-plated supercruise hyperstealthed ultimate air superiority dogfighting machine while the f-35 was meant to be the inexpensive mass-produced workaday multipurpose unglamorous ordinance hauler

• Locked thread